• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Games with Gold for October 2022: Windbound & Bomber Crew Deluxe Edition

93xfan

Banned
Obviously nothing is official or has been discussed by Microsoft but... if it were me in charge of sunsetting Games with Gold, then I would simply convert existing Gold members to Game Pass subscribers. As long as you're subscribed to Game Pass, you'll keep access to your "legacy" GwG entitlements. Game Pass would be required for online play. Rebrand the whole thing as Game Pass Essential.
Mostly agree except for the Gamepass required for online play.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Mostly agree except for the Gamepass required for online play.
I'm right there with ya bud.

But I don't think Microsoft is going to want to walk away from that kind of cash. There are obviously tons (most?) people that subscribe to Gold just to get the online capabilities. If you remove that from the equation and make it free for everyone, you'll probably have far less takers for your new rebranded Game Pass Essentials subscription service.

Banjo64

cumsessed

But I don't think Microsoft is going to want to walk away from that kind of cash. There are obviously tons (most?) people that subscribe to Gold just to get the online capabilities. If you remove that from the equation and make it free for everyone, you'll probably have far less takers for your new rebranded Game Pass Essentials subscription service.
Don’t make it free then. I agree, they can’t make online free on Xbox.

Abolish Gold, and roll online play in to the basic Game Pass tier.

Gold has an RRP of £49.99 per annum. £7.99 a month for basic Game Pass is £95.88 a year. Or an uplift of £45.98 a year for MS.

Game Pass Ultimate still has its place, because you also get EA Play/xCloud/PC Game Pass with it.

The only reason I can think of as to why they haven’t done this already, is because they are being greedy and want all Gold subscribers to pay for Ultimate instead.

I have no need for PC Game Pass, EA Play or xCloud - £7.99 a month would be more than palatable for me should they scrap the £1 conversion.

93xfan

Banned

True. Personally I wonder if it would be worthwhile to drop the price a little of Gold and dropping the free garbage. Maybe $50 a year like old times.

The other part of the equation is that there’s so many popular games that are free to play.

Fortnite
Apex Legends
Overwatch 2
Warzone
Halo Infinite
Rocket League.

Many gamers are already getting by without Gold, I’d imagine. I certainly could be wrong

93xfan

Banned
Don’t make it free then. I agree, they can’t make online free on Xbox.

Abolish Gold, and roll online play in to the basic Game Pass tier.

Gold has an RRP of £49.99 per annum. £7.99 a month for basic Game Pass is £95.88 a year. Or an uplift of £45.98 a year for MS.

Game Pass Ultimate still has its place, because you also get EA Play/xCloud/PC Game Pass with it.

The only reason I can think of as to why they haven’t done this already, is because they are being greedy and want all Gold subscribers to pay for Ultimate instead.

I have no need for PC Game Pass, EA Play or xCloud - £7.99 a month would be more than palatable for me should they scrap the £1 conversion.
They can’t get rid of that lower price entry point for online.

Side note; I have been thinking that game pass ultimate would still be worthwhile if the only change they made to the three tier system was to add online play to the base game pass service.

GPU still gets cloud streaming, EA Play, GwG, and GPU perks

DaGwaphics

Regardless of how unimpressive the included games are, I'd never argue against getting something for free. Taking these away from gold subscribers (and GPU subs by extension) is just reductive.

If they flip the switch on xcloud access to user libraries, you might see that perk added to the base gold tier. Cloud access to games you purchase with no library. Gold would then become the Xbox in the cloud option along with the online multiplayer association.

Jaybe

MS: we have data to show that only 0.0000069% of Gold subscribers download the offered games. Therefore, we are eliminating this aspect of the service.

Nbc GIF by Sunnyside

I’m all for indie games but I doubt anyone was itching to play a 5 year old game that’s been on sale for pennies or a game with 60 metascore.

Pallas

Not surprising, but the technology was pretty good and one of the best cloud gaming experiences from a performance point of view.

Beechos

Just tell people you are reallocating resources for something else and end games with gold. Id rather have no games than whats been offered for like the past year now.

Last night I went over to the Library section, moved over to Gold, and did not see the monthly games listed, instead it showed WRC racing game that was NOT free, Was this a glitch? It was my first time in the Gold section of the library since the recent update. Hope they fix this. I had to hunt down the 2 Gold games instead.

Danknugz

I don't understand why they can't recycle the Xbox 360 games from the beginning again. Not that many people will have been there from day one and amassed everything.
i'm super cheap and got just about all of them, handful of games i missed maybe 5 or 6. I also have an amazing KDR with only 2 or 3 games offered that I already owned.

Top Bottom