• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA 6 Leak Suggests "Incredible Graphics" With Rage Game Engine 9

dotnotbot

One thing that could be definitely pushed beyond anything we have seen so far in open-world games is physics engine and AI. With current powerful CPUs it could be even bigger leap forward than GTA 4 was at its time.

Last edited:

Majukun

are you telling me a multimillionaire team famous for their gorgeous open world are gonna deliver a game with good graphics?

i hardly believe that

Last edited:

SmokSmog

I respect your opinion but to me rdr2 is one of the greatest games of all time. I know its cool to hate on rockstar right now but very few can match them in this industry. If you think otherwise, name them.
My problem with Rockstar games is the gameplay itself and mission design.
RDR2 was a snoozefest on rails with slow scripted missions, weak wanted system and clunky controls.
Slow walking in camp was killing me. All those foods and items and most weapons were totally useless.
Camp improvements were useless.

The engine itself is marvelous, excellent rendering pipeline, animations and physics.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Everyone's face when it turns out to be online only

James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

My problem with Rockstar games is the gameplay itself and mission design.
RDR2 was a snoozefest on rails with slow scripted missions, weak wanted system and clunky controls.
Slow walking in camp was killing me. All those foods and items and most weapons were totally useless.
Camp improvements were useless.

The engine itself is marvelous, excellent rendering pipeline, animations and physics.
Agreed with all of these points. Rockstar's(specifically the GTA team) gameplay loops and design are starting to feel a bit outdated. Sometimes it feels like the devs are walled off from experiencing other big games and learning from those other open world games, and instead they simply do a small iteration on their own formula with a better narrative and graphics.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Please don't be cross gen please don't be cross gen
Considering this is nowhere close to release, or even a formal announcement, it's very highly unlikely to be cross gen.

Unless you meant cross gen between PS5 and PS6 gens.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thanks to Matheusvictorbr, we found out some exclusive new details about GTA 6. According to the longtime Rockstar insider, Grand Theft Auto 6's story will follow twin siblings, one male, one female, who are separated following the death of their parents at the hands of the cartel in 2003. The game will reportedly explore this tragic event in its prologue, which could be set in Brazil.

The main campaign itself will be set some time in the 2020s, possibly 2023 or 2024, as the two siblings eventually meet up as adults but on opposite sides.

Apparently, the male sibling becomes an agent for the DOA, a parody of the real-world government organization, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). However, his sister will seek revenge against the cartel her own way, working her way up the ranks of the very same cartel that killed their parents to become one of their hitwomen.

Matheus couldn't go into detail about how the two would meet or whether players can play as both characters, but did mention that the brother goes up against the sister's cartel and the siblings find out about each other the "hard way." The main characters aside, the leaker describes the next GTA game as the "first" in the video game industry to really dive deep into the cartel/military way of life.

As for GTA 6's setting, Matheus denies the rumors that the game will be set in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, as per the infamous "Project Americas" leak, which we've been told is mostly fake.

Instead, he says that the game's setting will be Carcer City, as well as Cuba, Columbia and the Miami-inspired Vice City from 2002's GTA: Vice City. Rockstar is said to be focusing on enhancing gameplay and features where it makes sense to spend dev time, rather than making the game span several decades story-wise, a development task that is apparently "too demanding" in comparison.

Carcer City previously appeared in a different Rockstar IP - Manhunt. While canonically part of the 3D era GTA universe, this connection was only ever minor easter eggs, with GTA and Manhunt never crossing over meaningfully. Whether the name reuse in GTA 6, if true, means something on that front or is merely another easter egg, remains to be seen.

The game's open-world will reportedly feature destructible buildings.

The intel we have also refers to "ambitious technology" that the military will have at its disposal in Grand Theft Auto 6, as well as how Rockstar wants the game to reflect the current times, something the studio "couldn't do accurately in GTA 5."

Finally, when asked about GTA 6's development progress or release date, Matheus said a 2024 release is planned.

I expect it would have.
Rockstar has around 2500 employees and have been working on this game for years and years with an unlimited budget due to the amount of money the last game is still bringing in.
No game in the history of games will have the amount of time and resources as this one.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I expect something like the UE5 matrix demo on a technical level but What will make GTA6 look the best is the the lengthy dev time and talent.

The issue with the matrix demo is that things look very repeated and it lacks any charm. Open world games look better when the world looks funtioning, worn and used.

I hope in GTA6 the bin men wave and say hi, or give u the finger and cuss under there tounge when they are pissed with body animation as good as TLOU2 e3 demo and la noire or the quarry facial animation.

I also hope the npc's have varrying animations, fatter people walk and run differently to slimmer folks and cops belts jiggle anout when they run lol

BlvckFox

Gold Member
Can’t wait!

Also, for the future, I’d like to see Rockstar, or any dev for that matter, ignore large map sizes. Build an entire game in a super compact city that is immensely dense and packed with interactivity. I feel like it could really redefine the genre.

DavidGzz

I bet that this is one of the games that will sell the mid-gen refreshes. 30fps on XSX and PS5 or 60 fps with raytracing on the upgrades.

Tangerine

I expect it would have.
Rockstar has around 2500 employees and have been working on this game for years and years with an unlimited budget due to the amount of money the last game is still bringing in.
No game in the history of games will have the amount of time and resources as this one.

Wish they hadn't been so tight with time and or money, outsourcing the remakes of 3, VC and San Andreas... A company can have all the money in the world and not necessarily reflect that with new game budgets. That said they did apologize that the quality didn't match their standards and they have continued to update and improve the trilogy.

I know it's different a new, mainline game in the series, Vs a remaster and after all the pushback from gamers about the trilogy...I do have high hopes you are indeed correct.

I just hope it's not infected with woke shit. It has to be offensive, adult etc. That's part of GTA. Making fun of and satirising everything and everyone.

According to a new report by Chris Klippel, an industry insider and the creator of Rockstar Magazine and Naughty Dog Magazine, we could very well be expecting something absolutely amazing when it comes to the next iteration of the Grand Theft Auto franchise.

In a tweet, Chris mentions that the new graphics engine of GTA 6, which is Rage 9, will likely be quite incredible. He goes on to say that he has received quite positive feedback about it, so there is no reason to be disappointed right now.

What’s noteworthy is the fact that Chris mentions that we are looking at an engine that will be ahead of its time. This means that GTA 6 could possibly boast graphics better than any game out there of this generation, and that could be quite a feat for the game. However, if we look at Rockstar’s history, it won’t be something very surprising, to say the least. Rockstar is known for feats like these, pushing the threshold and setting new benchmarks for the gaming industry.

I'm sure it'll look great but I doubt it'll be the best looking game. It reminds me of how awesome GTA4 looked in 2008 and how it blew San Andreas out of the water but Crysis a year early tho. Same with GTA5 in 2013, but Crysis tho, but BF3, Metro 1, but Crysis 3, but Ryse Son of Rome but Killzone Shadowfall etc.

Kokoloko85

Graphics and voice acting. Attention to detail. I think Rockstar is the best when it comes to open world.
Naughty Dog also have the best facial animations and voice acting but its a linear game. Rockstar is impressive when they make a game, just wish they would make more

SJRB

Gold Member

Thanks to Matheusvictorbr, we found out some exclusive new details about GTA 6. According to the longtime Rockstar insider, Grand Theft Auto 6's story will follow twin siblings, one male, one female, who are separated following the death of their parents at the hands of the cartel in 2003. The game will reportedly explore this tragic event in its prologue, which could be set in Brazil.

The main campaign itself will be set some time in the 2020s, possibly 2023 or 2024, as the two siblings eventually meet up as adults but on opposite sides.

Apparently, the male sibling becomes an agent for the DOA, a parody of the real-world government organization, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). However, his sister will seek revenge against the cartel her own way, working her way up the ranks of the very same cartel that killed their parents to become one of their hitwomen.

Matheus couldn't go into detail about how the two would meet or whether players can play as both characters, but did mention that the brother goes up against the sister's cartel and the siblings find out about each other the "hard way." The main characters aside, the leaker describes the next GTA game as the "first" in the video game industry to really dive deep into the cartel/military way of life.

As for GTA 6's setting, Matheus denies the rumors that the game will be set in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, as per the infamous "Project Americas" leak, which we've been told is mostly fake.

Instead, he says that the game's setting will be Carcer City, as well as Cuba, Columbia and the Miami-inspired Vice City from 2002's GTA: Vice City. Rockstar is said to be focusing on enhancing gameplay and features where it makes sense to spend dev time, rather than making the game span several decades story-wise, a development task that is apparently "too demanding" in comparison.

Carcer City previously appeared in a different Rockstar IP - Manhunt. While canonically part of the 3D era GTA universe, this connection was only ever minor easter eggs, with GTA and Manhunt never crossing over meaningfully. Whether the name reuse in GTA 6, if true, means something on that front or is merely another easter egg, remains to be seen.

The game's open-world will reportedly feature destructible buildings.

The intel we have also refers to "ambitious technology" that the military will have at its disposal in Grand Theft Auto 6, as well as how Rockstar wants the game to reflect the current times, something the studio "couldn't do accurately in GTA 5."

Finally, when asked about GTA 6's development progress or release date, Matheus said a 2024 release is planned.

Legit the first GTA leak that makes me go "hmmm this might actually be true". That Project Americas thing with the multiple eras was bullshit from the start, I can't even imagine how much time and resources it costs to create an entire open world three times over.

Whitecrow

Banned
I bet they are nothing we didnt see already. Unless they have some clever use of ray tracing.
Rasterization has been on diminishing returns for quite some time now.

mortal

Gold Member
It feels pointless to put stock into any GTA VI rumors, as they seem to change as often as the seasons.

The previous, equally dubious, project Americas premise sounds more appealing imo.
Would love to play a GTA with a 1970s setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom