• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA 6 Leak Suggests "Incredible Graphics" With Rage Game Engine 9

Kikorin

But what about physics and animations? I think GTA V is still one of the most impressive open-world games ever done and RDR2 blow my mind everytime I see it, but I've to admit I've been disappointed with the downgrade in euphoria engine after GTA IV and the first RDR. With these new console CPUs, I hope they'll go off scale with physics too.

Myths

I mean just with a few timecycle, LUT, and ENB lighting controls, the current engine still outputs insanely competitive stuff.

ParaSeoul

I think Take Two/Rockstar both know they can't rely on brand power for the main entries if its as shit as the remasters. GTA 6 if done right could be the true next gen game.

NeoGiffer

:messenger_face_screaming:

Saints-Row-Characters.jpg

assurdum

Banned
[/URL]

Thanks to Matheusvictorbr, we found out some exclusive new details about GTA 6. According to the longtime Rockstar insider, Grand Theft Auto 6's story will follow twin siblings, one male, one female, who are separated following the death of their parents at the hands of the cartel in 2003. The game will reportedly explore this tragic event in its prologue, which could be set in Brazil.

The main campaign itself will be set some time in the 2020s, possibly 2023 or 2024, as the two siblings eventually meet up as adults but on opposite sides.

Apparently, the male sibling becomes an agent for the DOA, a parody of the real-world government organization, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). However, his sister will seek revenge against the cartel her own way, working her way up the ranks of the very same cartel that killed their parents to become one of their hitwomen.

Matheus couldn't go into detail about how the two would meet or whether players can play as both characters, but did mention that the brother goes up against the sister's cartel and the siblings find out about each other the "hard way." The main characters aside, the leaker describes the next GTA game as the "first" in the video game industry to really dive deep into the cartel/military way of life.

As for GTA 6's setting, Matheus denies the rumors that the game will be set in the 70s, 80s, or 90s, as per the infamous "Project Americas" leak, which we've been told is mostly fake.

Instead, he says that the game's setting will be Carcer City, as well as Cuba, Columbia and the Miami-inspired Vice City from 2002's GTA: Vice City. Rockstar is said to be focusing on enhancing gameplay and features where it makes sense to spend dev time, rather than making the game span several decades story-wise, a development task that is apparently "too demanding" in comparison.

Carcer City previously appeared in a different Rockstar IP - Manhunt. While canonically part of the 3D era GTA universe, this connection was only ever minor easter eggs, with GTA and Manhunt never crossing over meaningfully. Whether the name reuse in GTA 6, if true, means something on that front or is merely another easter egg, remains to be seen.

The game's open-world will reportedly feature destructible buildings.

The intel we have also refers to "ambitious technology" that the military will have at its disposal in Grand Theft Auto 6, as well as how Rockstar wants the game to reflect the current times, something the studio "couldn't do accurately in GTA 5."

Finally, when asked about GTA 6's development progress or release date, Matheus said a 2024 release is planned.
From what I remembered GTA setting was claimed publicly by R about US and US only, I don't see Brazil or any other countries if not just in a short prescripted mission.

CitizenZ

Banned
As with Dice, 343, Bioware, Blizzard, etc being dismantled of actual talent and being replaced with no talents...

unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
From what I remembered GTA setting was claimed publicly by R about US and US only, I don't see Brazil or any other countries if not just in a short prescripted mission.

They did London. But that was long before GTA became the GTA it is today.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

GTA 6 Exclusive "Teaserplay" Concept Trailer Made in Unreal Engine 5

We all know that GTA is under development and soon we will see its official announcement, it is said that the game will be made with a new version of the RAGE Engine and it wants to challenge the Unreal engine 5 directly.

In this video, we tried to bring a wide showcase of the environments in Unreal Engine 5 that we may see in the game. According to the reports, the game will initially take place in Vice City, and other maps like Liberty City, San Fierro, Las Ventures will be added to it in the future.

Iwe use the most powerful features of Unreal Engine, such as ray tracing, lumen, Nanite, Screen Space Reflections and Metahuman so that the graphics are as close as possible to a next-gen sandbox game.

Unreal Engine 5 is Powerful Engine that going to be used to make many PS5 and Xbox Series X|S games

TIGERCOOL

People are having fun shitting on R* right now but we all know when the first trailer drops we're going to SO hyped. Despite the politics/gta online nonsense they always come through with great single player experiences and industry leading tech. replaying rdr2 on a high spec pc over the last week has been like playing it for the first time all over again. That game is a wonder.

TIGERCOOL

euphoria physics engine in gta4 was the most fun.

just top that. i like my games fun.
unfortunately pretty graphics are easier to sell than how realistically an npc falls down the stairs. those systems also become incredibly taxing on the cpu as you scale up the size of the game world. Hopefully they can use some rendering tricks with the space age console ssds to mitigate the impact of robust physics and ai systems on performance

DavidGzz

People are having fun shitting on R* right now but we all know when the first trailer drops we're going to SO hyped. Despite the politics/gta online nonsense they always come through with great single player experiences and industry leading tech. replaying rdr2 on a high spec pc over the last week has been like playing it for the first time all over again. That game is a wonder.

People shit on everything here. Bunch of old grouchy gamers lol

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
just make the ragdolls good like in GTAIV and then we're good
oh, and don't fuck up the mission design either. GTAV was already full of that where you couldn't branch off and do your own thing lest you want to be stopped in your tracks by the game

Pallas

I have pretty high expectations after what they did with RDR2. Say what you will about how “boring” that game can be but it’s an absolute marvel to look at even til this day.

Scotty W

Without the Houser voice it is difficult to have full faith in this game. Gta is nothing without its tone: it cannot be too serious or too silly overall. Of course it can be both at times, but it has to have the right balance.

RCU005

But will it have the awesome physics engine that GTA 4 had but GTA 5 lacked?

Why is it that PS3 games had so many great physics but PS4 and now PS5 don’t? PS4 was all about particles, but most of the games were static.

Is it a trend? Is it due to cost? Time? Management? Just because?

True, but most of the companies that went woke with their staff have delivered piles of shit. So hopefully the end product will be great. We can always mod out the main character when it turns out she's a green/pink haired goblin.

Last edited:

TonyK

Too much hype is a problem for me (for games, movies...). Now I'm expecting something never seen and I will be easily disappointed.

PillsOff

Banned
Red Dead 2 was an atroutiosly designed game with half of the open world systems not working at all while the rest was very linear bad animation driven action game with writing that simply gives up at some point closer to the middle of the game..... But it looked fucking incredible! there is no denying it

Kupfer

Red Dead 2 was an atroutiosly designed game with half of the open world systems not working at all while the rest was very linear bad animation driven action game with writing that simply gives up at some point closer to the middle of the game
Red - can you give examples ? I wasn't a huge RDR2 fan as well, but for me the star of the game was its' open world and implementaion of characters and animals and its' animations. One of the best if not the best open world I visited.
Green - I'll give you that. Story was boring and way too long.

PillsOff

Banned
Red - can you give examples ? I wasn't a huge RDR2 fan as well, but for me the star of the game was its' open world and implementaion of characters and animals and its' animations. One of the best if not the best open world I visited.
Green - I'll give you that. Story was boring and way too long.
Bad, animation driven(not input driven).

open world was mostly scripted moments with non scripted systems(and there not alot of those) like "wanted system" that were outright broken.

Kupfer

Bad, animation driven(not input driven).
You mean all the cumbersome movements? I found it authentic and refreshing. Reminded me of RDR1 and GTAIV, in those games physics and mass played a bigger role than in GTA5. Would like to see a significant step further in this direction for GTAVI.
open world was mostly scripted moments with non scripted systems(and there not alot of those) like "wanted system" that were outright broken.
Okay, so "half of the open world systems not working at all" was a bit of an exaggeration.

PillsOff

Banned
You mean all the cumbersome movements?

There are animation driven movement n input driven.
Read this up. Cos there are relatively complex nuances to understanding what it is for me to just explain it here.

Short, oversimplified n casual story: There are games where your input makes a character perform curtain action n there are games where your input launches animation that cares that curtain action for you.

Kupfer

Short, oversimplified n casual story: There are games where your input makes a character perform curtain action n there are games where your input launches animation that cares that curtain action for you.
That's what I meant when I used "cumberstone". I used to switch to 1st person in RDR2 while being in firefights because it was way more responsive but I liked the feel of having a bodymass.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don't really doubt it, they've been at the top end of graphics since GTA V (which was surprising after the muddy trash that is GTA IV).

PillsOff

Banned
That's what I meant when I used "cumberstone". I used to switch to 1st person in RDR2 while being in firefights because it was way more responsive but I liked the feel of having a bodymass.
Red Dead 2 "cumberstonness" is actually a problem on top of it.
Cos they put physics n animation in full control with animation blending as a priority over EVERYTHING.
You are not controlling a character, you not making it shoot you sent an order to physics n animation to start figuring out how to make character shoot where you want.
So unlike input driven tittles the time, force n often even projectile of the said performed action is completely out of your control n no action has any reliable characteristics, so the balance, AI, n you planing how to use your abilities n all that shit is out of the window
You just watching animation systems creating an illusion of you playing while making most of the dicisions for you.

Kupfer

Red Dead 2 "cumberstonness" is actually a problem on top of it.
Cos they put physics n animation in full control with animation blending as a priority over EVERYTHING.
You are not controlling a character, you not making it shoot you sent an order to physics n animation to start figuring out how to make character shoot where you want.
So unlike input driven tittles the time, force n often even projectile of the said performed action is completely out of your control n no action has any reliable characteristics, so the balance, AI, n you planing how to use your abilities n all that shit is out of the window
You just watching animation systems creating an illusion of you playing while making most of the dicisions for you.
Even if it's all plausible, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. The sluggish and tedious controls were a big part of the game for me, and I think they fit the grueling setting. Much like Killzone 2 (huge input lag and the developer's ambition to make weapons, man and armor feel really heavy), it made the game feel like what was happening was tedious and draining. Even though there were often unintentionally hilarious collisions and fidgeting in RDR2 and they took it to the extreme here.
For GTAVI, I would like to see a little more direct character control, but similar vehicle and pedestrian behavior to GTAIV. GTAV's physics were just so blatantly dialed back that the whole game felt too arcadey for me.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Even if it's all plausible, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. The sluggish and tedious controls were a big part of the game for me, and I think they fit the grueling setting. Much like Killzone 2 (huge input lag and the developer's ambition to make weapons, man and armor feel really heavy), it made the game feel like what was happening was tedious and draining. Even though there were often unintentionally hilarious collisions and fidgeting in RDR2 and they took it to the extreme here.
For GTAVI, I would like to see a little more direct character control, but similar vehicle and pedestrian behavior to GTAIV. GTAV's physics were just so blatantly dialed back that the whole game felt too arcadey for me.
all it takes is a couple small tweaks to the game engine to get gta4 ped physics and behaviour back into gta5 and rdr2 (see: mods). they're in there but were intentionally scaled back because the games were much larger than iv, but still running on ancient cpus. they just couldn't handle it.

it's going to come down to whether they can find that balance on current gen consoles, because the devs will get skewered if the games aren't bigger than ever with cutting edge graphics. I'm personally optimistic that they pull it off but understand the concern.

Top Bottom