• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new halo 2 pic :O

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
op_ivy said:
this thread went to hell fast...

anywho, yeah, i'm willing to bet you'll be able to shoot off their breathing masks (much like the brutes helmet "cap". somehow, i dont think the grunts are important enough for the MC to visit their homeworld ;)

Doesnt have to be their homeplanet, just a planet with a methane atmosphere, shooting their masks off on other planets would in effect just be a lengthy death animation.

Ghost said:
Doesnt have to be their homeplanet, just a planet with a methane atmosphere, shooting their masks off on other planets would in effect just be a lengthy death animation.

That's fucking brilliant thinking, man! Too bad it won't happen...

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Redbeard:

> What the hell is with these shadows?

It's texture aliasing due to Bungie using low res shadow maps.

GhaleonEB:

> There is not a single normal map in Halo 2. Not one. Bungie (Anim8erJB) has confirmed
> this.

Link? The alternative is using height maps instead and that is slower on Xbox. I'm sure you just didn't understand what he was saying.

Squeak

cybamerc said:
Redbeard:

> What the hell is with these shadows?

It's texture aliasing due to Bungie using low res shadow maps.

I thought Halo2 was going to use stencil volumes for all shadows? Not ugly aliased z-shadows.

cybamerc said:
GhaleonEB:

> There is not a single normal map in Halo 2. Not one. Bungie (Anim8erJB) has confirmed
> this.

Link? The alternative is using height maps instead and that is slower on Xbox. I'm sure you just didn't understand what he was saying.

Height maps? Wouldn't that be if they were doing emboss bump mapping (highly unlikely, since you can't do specularity with that technique)? If you were talking about EMBM, AFAIK that also uses a normalmap.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Squeak:

> I thought Halo2 was going to use stencil volumes for all shadows?
>Not ugly aliased z-shadows.

They switched shadowing method a long time ago.

> If you were talking about EMBM, AFAIK that also uses a normalmap.

EMBM uses grayscale bumpmaps (heightmaps).

Sai

Lovin' that new effect for the plasma grenade. Grunt no longer looks cute. :( I'd hate to see it without it's mask and with it's new "badass" animations...

COCKLES

being watched
op_ivy said:
grunt.jpg

Christ. They suddenly don't look so cuddly any more. :0

(puts down Grunt plushie)

Oh and Halo 2 - GOTY!!!

xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif

Sai

COCKLES said:
Oh and Halo 2 - GOTY!!!

xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
xbanana.gif
You still aren't forgiven for the comments you made during your Blinx 2/5-D hype session. :l

THERE WILL BE NO LOVE FOR YOU COME NOVEMBER 9TH, COCKLES!

COCKLES

being watched
Sai said:
You still aren't forgiven for the comments you made during your Blinx 2/5-D hype session. :l

THERE WILL BE NO LOVE FOR YOU COME NOVEMBER 9TH, COCKLES!

Twas a jest! Besides my informer spies tell me that Blinx makes a cameo in Halo 2. Honest guv.

Nice Avatar FriScho :D

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I swear, complain about any subpar aspect of the "Almighty Halo 2's" visuals & get crucified by the fanboy mob. Oh that's right, it's going to be perfect like Halo was. (insert rolleyes here)

Littleberu said:
With EYES. You know what EYES are? I mean look at the first pics. And that is the only one I see a bad thing about textures... It's not like I trolled the game. Not yet. Not enough hype yet.

Edit : And anyway, these are normal maps, so expect to see more and more bad textures quality comments, because Normal are only good far away and with good lighting. When you're too close, it's just a flat low-res texture really.

You're cool.

"LOLRLOFL. I'LL ONLY TROLL A GAME WHEN IT'S HYPED A LOT. THAT WAY ATTENTION IS ON ME!!!11"

gray.gif

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Li Mu Bai said:
I swear, complain about any subpar aspect of the "Almighty Halo 2's" visuals & get crucified by the fanboy mob. Oh that's right, it's going to be perfect like Halo was. (insert rolleyes here)

no, not perfect. just sooo fucking good that any imperfections are easily overlooked, just like halo 1

and fucking-a, nice shots!

Li Mu Bai said:

Visually, I don't think there was anything wrong with Halo 1 at release. Halo 2 isn't done and, as repeatedly stated in Bungie's weekly updates, it's still being polished up for release. Also, I don't think anyone's said that Halo 1 or 2 look "perfect." They just look great! Anyway, the hype for Halo 2 is how it'll play, not really how it'll look.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I agree also that the gameplay is top-notch, though no game is beyond criticism. In addition no person should be hung for voicing theirs either by the "Hive Mind."

And if you or anyone has the "right" to complain about a certain aspect of a game, other have the right to disagree with them. I love how people who troll a highly anticipated title, start bitching when people don't automatically agree with them *rolleyes*

The game works both ways son, and if you're gonna troll, or even complain about a game like Halo 2, you have no right bitching when people think you're being an ass. Kinda like I'd have no right walking into the N.O.W., and saying women shouldn't join the military, without expecting a hell-of-a-lot of people disagreeing with me.

Anyway, HALO2 is gonna rock!!!

Most of the new shots are touched up, and for good reason. Personally I think the graphical improvements will be too subtle for the average punter to scream "WOW!" at when it's not in motion. For me it was the smoothness of the framerate and all the cool little animations, options and functions that were fun.

Sai

None of the screenshots are touched up, this has been confirmed several times. If you're talking about the huge bastard-size resolution, that's only because of the way the screens are taken. You shouldn't notice a difference come November 9th.

And dynamic lighting and excessive use of bump-mapping isn't subtle. :p Then there's the new animations they're working very hard on and the improved vehicle physics. It's going to look quite a bit different.

The Promised One said:
I can't wait to see an updated, Halo 2 version of Red vs Blue.
They should just use HALO PC. :/

... Not that I'm really interested in RvB anymore. That shit got stale 2 or 3 episodes into season 2.

Top Bottom