• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hampshire (USA) may soon enshrine Software Freedom into law.

Unknown?

An important bill is being proposed in New Hampshire, which would enshrine much of what we know as Free Software into law. Here is the proposed bill, technically named “HB1273."
You can read it for yourself, but here is a paraphrasing of what it proposes:

• Specifically bans state-run websites from serving non-free javascript to clients
  • Creates a commission to provide oversight, watching the use of Free Software by state agencies
  • Bans state agencies from using proprietary software - maybe this could include schools, in the future!
  • If a person is tried in a criminal case, they have the right to audit the source code of any proprietary software that collects evidence against them
  • Encourages data portability (able to transfer data from one program to another)
  • Bans certain non-compete clauses and NDAs (non-disclosure agreements) pertaining to Free Software projects
  • Bans state/local law enforcement from assisting with the enforcement of copyright claims against Free Software projects
  • Bans state agencies from purchasing non-free software if free software exists, for a given task

However, this is only a short summary. You are advised to read the bill in detail. It’s not very long.

Dr Bass

As someone in this field, and a proponent of “software freedom” in many guises these proposals sound like an absolute disaster. Either made by a politician that doesn’t understand the potential ramifications, or some militant free software figure head like Stallman.

Mistake

A lot of this doesn’t seem too bad except the last one. I can see it creating headaches when people have been trained to use certain things already, but should bring costs down. I would rather they focus more on online privacy laws or things like doxxing to prevent harassment

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I gotta say I don't really know what that means. Can anyone give an introduction of the concepts and a rundown of what this bill intends to do vs. what it probably will do?

far from me to be on the side of tech bros, but this sounds like whoever drafted this bill is rather detached from what the tech scene is actually at.

daveonezero

Banned
I gotta say I don't really know what that means. Can anyone give an introduction of the concepts and a rundown of what this bill intends to do vs. what it probably will do?
It forces government to be accountable for the software they use.

So instead of using a Google product or propriety software that takes and sells user data this would stop that from happening or at least make them choose software that doesn’t do those things.

The DMV in California was making a lot of money selling “customers” data. Something in my mind is very crooked.

far from me to be on the side of tech bros, but this sounds like whoever drafted this bill is rather detached from what the tech scene is actually at.
What do you mean? That is a gross generalization of “the tech scene”

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
inline_image_preview.jpg

SiteSeer

encourage free software if that’s your bag but enshrining it into law sounds awfully like gov’t over reach. pass.

Unknown?

encourage free software if that’s your bag but enshrining it into law sounds awfully like gov’t over reach. pass.
It's not forcing citizens to use free software, it's forcing government agencies to use it. Honestly why should those agencies waste money on that anyway?

SiteSeer

It's not forcing citizens to use free software, it's forcing government agencies to use it. Honestly why should those agencies waste money on that anyway?
ok maybe not over reach (into the general populace) but over regulation. i wonder if this is to save money or to make a value judgement? how much free software is even out there that you can run a government on it? os? office productivity? database? then you’d have to convert everyone over.

It forces government to be accountable for the software they use.

So instead of using a Google product or propriety software that takes and sells user data this would stop that from happening or at least make them choose software that doesn’t do those things.

The DMV in California was making a lot of money selling “customers” data. Something in my mind is very crooked.

What do you mean? That is a gross generalization of “the tech scene”

don't get me wrong, I do agree with your example in that government shouldn't be providing citizen's info to tech companies. but what I'm worry about, is that free software is free for a reason. they often lack some features and have a lot of their own issues. maybe a bill that require software that government contract off of the tech companies can not have any attached side huzzles would be better.

daveonezero

Banned
don't get me wrong, I do agree with your example in that government shouldn't be providing citizen's info to tech companies. but what I'm worry about, is that free software is free for a reason. they often lack some features and have a lot of their own issues. maybe a bill that require software that government contract off of the tech companies can not have any attached side huzzles would be better.

maybe. Usually it is free because of the license and how the software is managed. There iare a number of reasons why someone may want to encourage the government to use FOSS. Security is one as auditing can be done. The Econ’s ia cost and cutting cost in government is a good idea.

I also think the proponents of the bill may have an ulterior motive and they actively want to get big tech out of government. They want to stop their influence in local politics which some may or may not agree with.

FOSS use in government is actually growing. I’m pretty sure The EU has instituted some things like this

Yea, not necessarily sure requiring open source software is smart.
The only downside is it makes government less effective and if they do something shady they can’t hide it in the program.

Last edited:

BigBooper

The only downside is it makes government less effective and if they do something shady they can’t hide it in the program.
When I'm waiting in line at the DMV I'm not often thinking how much less effective I wish the government was. One-size-fits all limits are the problem. Some things could require open source, some not.

daveonezero

Banned
When I'm waiting in line at the DMV I'm not often thinking how much less effective I wish the government was. One-size-fits all limits are the problem. Some things could require open source, some not.
I was being a little facetious but I know they NH politics has a lot of small or no government people.

in your example the DMV.

Are you arguing for more resources to be spent on the DMV where they have no incentive to improve? And I’d they received more money they would have no reason to improve as they could do the same thing and just pay more.

Or

is it saying that it should be completely abolished and replaced with something else.

The cost to train people and provide ongoing tech support for Linux and OpenOffice will be at least 10x more than it costs to just buy Windows and Office.
In my experience A lot of corporate systems are some sort of Google Chrome web app or custom software running on a Linux server.

The Windows machine is literally just a terminal to get to those applications. They don’t use Windows software for anything other than launching a few applications.

The situation you describe. People learning office or windows is moot as most don’t even have familiarity with those.

Also open office has been replaced with Libre and it’s developing quite nice.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

• Bans state agencies from using proprietary software - maybe this could include schools, in the future!
LUL? There goes Office, Outlook, any financial software such as Tyler Technologies or Central Square, fleet management systems, what about security suites? Good luck with that. Let's see how this will get implemented.

Top Bottom