• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hands-On gameplay of Sonic Frontiers (3) Frontiers Animated Prologue Coming This Year

Draugoth

Gold Member

Also, Sonic Frontiers Prologue is an animated short, coming later this year

FUqYsD6XoAUfpso

FUqYrMYXwAAqrqK

Yeah they need to have other songs than those piano melodies asap. You can convey a "mysterious world" with more energetic music than that and still keep it classical. Also, definitely fix the pop-in if it hasn't been fixed already.

There are things here I like, but other things that have me kind of baffled.

I’ll be buying it but seriously screw whoever decided to ape Breath of the Wild’s snoozefest soundtrack for this game.

Also I’m a little surprised that this apparently won’t have any portals to stages.

I dunno it screams a 6/10

Belthazar

I’ll be buying it but seriously screw whoever decided to ape Breath of the Wild’s snoozefest soundtrack for this game.

Also I’m a little surprised that this apparently won’t have any portals to stages.

I dunno it screams a 6/10
They just said in the IGN hands on that it will have portal to normal stages

Saber

Gold Member
The entire stream of garbage level(lol Mephiles, Roblox, Fall Sonic guys, take your pick), with most of the things people were looking for about 10~3 seconds at best.

But don't worry, Iizuka was there to reminds us how retarded he can be at making games.

nikos

I love the tone of this game so far. I have a feeling it'll be my favorite Sonic game in a long time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Gliding on rails has been overused and is getting more and more overused in Sonic games (even gliding on a rail uphill which feels really lazy IMHO). It makes the experience on-rail and this kind of pun is exactly how fun the mechanic is now :p.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
The pop-in is pretty jarring, hope it’s the Switch version they’re showing.

The game looks to be in a pretty rough state overall imo.

anthony2690

Banned
The gameplay footage isn't hands on, it's just the two gameplay videos they showed before spliced together with him talking over it with his hands on impressions.

Unless that was his hands on prior?

Also the gameplay section during the sonic channel looked a lot better than everything we've seen so far.

lots of pop in and the combat looks clunky af

but i always wanted a sonic game where there is a massive world where you can just run around do anything you want, using the springs and rails. to me its like playing spiderman and even though i plat the game i still swing around because its still fun to do that.

if they manage to fix performance then i'll buy it but for now im a little cautious

Last edited:

GenericUser

Where is the momentum? It seems as if Sonic stops to move the moment the player lets go of the stick. Are they completely retarded? Also, the world looks nothing like a sonic world should look like. Sonic worlds is supposed to be colorful, abstract, cartoony. A Sonic game is not supposed to look realistic. Why did they do this? I don't get it. Sonic mania was praised by fans for it's back to the roots approach, why not copy that formular just in 3D and open world? The game had potential, but so far it looks like it's going to be another disaster for sonic fans. I hope I'm wrong.

IGN had a positive hands on experience and this guy was impressed. Hopefully more impressions come out in the next week.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Looks super fun. Day one if its $60.
I don't get the hate for it either but GAF is usually absolutely trash at predicting a games success or quality.
Metroid Dread, Halo Infinite etc etc.

The complaint I really don't get is the complaints over the music. You cannot have crush40 blasting over an open world like I feel like people are expecting here.... it wouldn't work and it would be extremely repetitive. I know it sounds weird for a 3 minutes video to be quiet and atmospheric.

Exploration open worlds need to have minimal music when out in the field, I don't remember anyone complaning about Elden Ring's lack of open world music but for some reason people keep giving Breath of the Wild shit for this.
Do people except more cartooney games to have happy uplifting music or something? Elden Ring evades this complaint because its gritty and dark?

Another complaint I don't get is the combat. You won't know this one until you play it but it seems like Sonic has a dodge button and can perfect dodge and even parry attacks. That's a good improvement over the previous games. I'm also rather curious about these upgrades I'm hearing about. There could be more to it.

Now legit complaints I feel are the general control of Sonic. The boost mechanic I really don't like in Sonic games and wish they would lose it. Sonic Adventure didn't need it and this shouldn't either.

I for one will always appreciate a gameplay demonstration even if it looks a little rough, sadly though all most people really want is a flashy well edited CG trailer with dubstep music blaring through it.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We sat down with Takashi Iizuka, Creative Officer at Sonic Team, to discuss the Sonic Frontiers demo, the new direction for the franchise, its open world inspirations and, most importantly, find out exactly how fast Sonic can go.

In this Summer Game Fest interview, Jordan spoke to Takashi Iizuka, one of producers of Sonic Frontiers, about the process of designing a Sonic the Hedgehog open world game, as well as the game's combat system, puzzle sections and story.

Sonic Frontiers is slated for release Holiday 2022 on PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4/5, Xbox One and Series X/S consoles.

Top Bottom