• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Intel Alder Lake processors can't run 32 games, thanks to Denuvo

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
f6fd429c0e.jpg

Taken directly from the review by PCGamer:

As I've said before, Alder Lake isn't an iterative update to an already long-standing architecture.
For that, it appears some creases weren't ironed out ahead of launch, and one is the occasional incompatible game, as Intel stated ahead of time in regards to DRM solution, Denuvo.

Intel said it was yet to remedy an issue with Denuvo on Alder Lake for 32 games, which was causing issues playing these games on the platform, but the remainder of the library was good to go.

So clearly there are still some areas to run the iron over, even post-launch. I can only be hopeful that these issues are solved early on and that new releases are correctly optimized for Alder Lake.
I would assume so, but I can't say for sure. So sit tight, and if you're a big Assassin's Creed: Valhalla fan, maybe stick with your old CPU for a little while before upgrading to the 12th Gen.

For recent and future games, updates are likely to be rolled out quickly if they haven't already. On the other hand, the question arises for older games that no longer benefit from assiduous monitoring.
For these titles, nothing excludes that they do not become unplayable on a PC equipped with an Alder Lake processor.

Patch to come mid November:
  • Anthem*
  • Bravely Default 2*
  • Fishing Sim World*
  • Football Manager 2019*
  • Football Manager Touch 2019*
  • Football Manager 2020*
  • Football Manager Touch 2020*
  • Legend of Mana*
  • Mortal Kombat 11*
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 and 2*
  • Warhammer I*

No ETA:
  • Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla*
  • Far Cry Primal*
  • Fernbus Simulator*
  • For Honor*
  • Lost in Random*
  • Madden 22*
  • Maneater*
  • Need for Speed – Hot Pursuit Remastered*
  • Sea of Solitude*
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order*
  • Tourist Bus Simulator*
  • Maneater*

Not working on W10 but can be bypassed with the Scroll Lock workaround
  • Ace Combat 7*
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey*
  • Assassins Creed Origins*
  • Code Vein*
  • eFootball 2021*
  • F1 2019*
  • Far Cry New Dawn*
  • FIFA 19*
  • FIFA 20*
  • Football Manager 2021*
  • Football Manager Touch 2021*
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint*
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands*
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising*
  • Just Cause 4*
  • Life is Strange 2*
  • Madden 21*
  • Monopoly Plus*
  • Need For Speed Heat*
  • Scott Pilgrim vs The World*
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider*
  • Shinobi Striker*
  • Soulcalibur VI*
  • Starlink*
  • Team Sonic Racing*
  • Total War Saga - Three Kingdoms*
  • Train Sim World*
  • Train Sim World 2*
  • Wolfenstein Youngblood

Last edited:

Skifi28

PC gaming, you had one job....!

Yeah, I expect it'll be fine eventually one way or the other, but still...

Kadve

And no of the 400 or so games using SafeDisc works on any version of windows past 7. And games using StarForce, TAGES, SecuROM or any similar system tends to not like being installed.

Its almost like if using DRM that works using some aspect of Windows itself wasn't such a good idea in hindsight.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Nah, this is an easily avoidable problem.
I really hope you do this on purpose (just trolling?) because you are completely missing the point.

Which 32 games are affected? See no list ...
season 3 stairs GIF
Yep Intel didn't communicate the list at my knowledge, but it concern Denuvo games so it's AAA and recent games.
Kacho Kacho please read, Intel didn't communicate the list they just confirmed 32 games are not compatible. AC Valhalla is one of them for example.

Did someone test it?
Every Denuvo games that is cracked is just a bypass, meaning Denuvo is still there. So it won't work on those new CPU.

Last edited:

lukilladog

I really hope you do this on purpose (just trolling?) because you are completely missing the point.

Yes, I´m being cynical, some of us have been warning people that Denuvo is the type of DRM that can give you problems in the future.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yes, I´m being cynical, some of us have been warning people that Denuvo is the type of DRM that can give you problems in the future.
Since this is already causing problems today, of course it will be an even bigger problem in the future.
Also irony doesn't translate well in text especially with your first statement lol.

FStubbs

Why should Intel have to fix some DRM based on clearly unsupported features that they make absolutely nothing off of?

If I were Intel I'd tell them "not our problem."

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what
games

denuvo also gets remove with patches.. i am sure this is possible

Last edited:

recursive

Since this is already causing problems today, of course it will be an even bigger problem in the future.
Also irony doesn't translate well in text especially with your first statement lol.
Yea really. It was a straight up shit post.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
32bit games or actual 32 games being played simultaneously?

Who tf is playing 32 games at the same time?

What?

It's saying that a total of 32 games that have Denuvo will not run in this processor- any single one of them. The list of these unplayable 32 games was not given.

It's not saying that it can't play '32 games all at once'.

Knightime_X

What?

It's saying that a total of 32 games that have Denuvo will not run in this processor- any single one of them. The list of these unplayable 32 games was not given.

It's not saying that it can't play '32 games all at once'.
It'll likely get figured out.

PhoenixTank

Workaround without repeated reboots, courtesy of Anandtech.

Weird Denuvo validation.
In that case if you have an unknown CPU it won’t let you run the game? lol
Not an unknown CPU as such - it isn't using a database.
The way I read an explanation somewhere is that Denuvo fingerprints the architecture of the CPU it runs on using some not publicly known characteristics. The protection is designed to make any bypass on one CPU not work on another different CPU thus distribution of a pirated version is ineffective. In practice that hasn't stopped pirates but no point going down this tangent.

The Gracemont (E) cores are, as we know, different architecturally to the Golden Cove (P) cores - when a Denuvo protected game has any threads moved from the P cores to the E cores it'll trip the piracy protection. Presumably vice versa but I imagine Windows will prioritise game startup on the performance cores initially.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Intel shared the list of games currently not working.

Patch to come mid November:
  • Anthem*
  • Bravely Default 2*
  • Fishing Sim World*
  • Football Manager 2019*
  • Football Manager Touch 2019*
  • Football Manager 2020*
  • Football Manager Touch 2020*
  • Legend of Mana*
  • Mortal Kombat 11*
  • Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 and 2*
  • Warhammer I*

No ETA:
  • Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla*
  • Far Cry Primal*
  • Fernbus Simulator*
  • For Honor*
  • Lost in Random*
  • Madden 22*
  • Maneater*
  • Need for Speed – Hot Pursuit Remastered*
  • Sea of Solitude*
  • Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order*
  • Tourist Bus Simulator*
  • Maneater*

Not working on W10 but can be bypassed with the Scroll Lock workaround
  • Ace Combat 7*
  • Assassins Creed Odyssey*
  • Assassins Creed Origins*
  • Code Vein*
  • eFootball 2021*
  • F1 2019*
  • Far Cry New Dawn*
  • FIFA 19*
  • FIFA 20*
  • Football Manager 2021*
  • Football Manager Touch 2021*
  • Ghost Recon Breakpoint*
  • Ghost Recon Wildlands*
  • Immortals Fenyx Rising*
  • Just Cause 4*
  • Life is Strange 2*
  • Madden 21*
  • Monopoly Plus*
  • Need For Speed Heat*
  • Scott Pilgrim vs The World*
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider*
  • Shinobi Striker*
  • Soulcalibur VI*
  • Starlink*
  • Team Sonic Racing*
  • Total War Saga - Three Kingdoms*
  • Train Sim World*
  • Train Sim World 2*
  • Wolfenstein Youngblood*

KAL2006

Banned
So weird that these days pirating us much more convenient and better experience than buying these days. Not just in Denovo games in pretty much everything. You can have a pirated streaming movie/TV service that has all Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blu-ray releases in one app, with cloud wishlist, trailers, cover arts and reccomendations. Same with emulators where you can play with higher resolutions, mods, save states, rewind fast forward features, cloud saves with a nice user interface with art and controller support. While Nintendo can't even get there N64 emulator right. Seems like piracy always wins and you have a much better user experience there are some exclusions obviously like PS5 games and playing online. But for retro games, movie and TV watching as well as PC games seems like piracy is a better experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom