• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New J Allard interview

GhaleonEB

It was good, but for the love of god they've got to realize that an interivew consists of questions and answers - not just answers. At one point he says, "thats a good question" - but we don't know what the question was! (It was about BC).

The game footage just reinforces the fact that Kameo looks awesome.

GhaleonEB

acidviper said:
Does it explain why he got his stomach stapled and shaved his head?

What expanation would suffice? I still think they just got an entirely new person and gave him the same name.

Tabris

"Out of all the playstation games, I would only want to play 2"

Arguebly the best console ever, and the XBox's lead would only want to play 2 of the games on the console. Wow. Either hardcore graphic whore, or really bad taste.

Also it's funny how when he's talking about FFXI, he doesn't mention PS2 in the cross-platform.

Arguebly the best console ever, and the XBox's lead would only want to play 2 of the games on the console. Wow. Either hardcore graphic whore, or really bad taste.

Removing Allard's taste from the equation, he does have a point. Regardless of visuals, PSOne games just don't have the same impact that they used to. In fact, I'd goes as far as to say that many PSOne games have aged worse than a lot of 2D stuff from the 16-bit era, possibly because of ropey textures and low framerates.

Having said that, I have used my PS2 to play PSOne games on a number of occasions, though purely for nostalgia purposes. Of course, if PS2 wasn't BC, I could have picked up a PSOne for about £20 to do the same thing.

I think it's more important for Microsoft's image that X360 is BC than anything else.

Scott

Tabris said:
Also it's funny how when he's talking about FFXI, he doesn't mention PS2 in the cross-platform.
Yeah, Microsoft has dodged mentioning "that platform" when talking about FFXI. I find it quite amusing. :p

Razoric

Banned
Kid Chameleon said:
Removing Allard's taste from the equation, he does have a point. Regardless of visuals, PSOne games just don't have the same impact that they used to. In fact, I'd goes as far as to say that many PSOne games have aged worse than a lot of 2D stuff from the 16-bit era, possibly because of ropey textures and low framerates.

i agree with this... one of my favorite games of all time (FF7) is completely unplayable now. the only games i can play on PSOne are the 2d rpgs / adventure games.

NotMSRP

You know, people rarely use the record feature on their VCR but almost no one will buy a VCR without that feature.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't find any PSX game I liked during that gen unplayable now. I frequently play my PSX games on PS2, and love 'em all the same./

Razoric

Banned
aside from nitpicking his taste in PSOne games, i thought it was a very good interview. i totally agree with his vision on gaming. people get too caught up in sony vs ms vs nintendo when it should be video games vs tv vs movies.

Razoric

Banned
Tabris said:
"Out of all the playstation games, I would only want to play 2"

well the new versions of PS2 can't even play the game. i'd exclude it too.

You know, people rarely use the record feature on their VCR but almost no one will buy a VCR without that feature.

I didn't think people bought VCRs these days anyway. And not being able to record didn't stop people from buying DVD players...

Anyway, if you want to argue this point, you shouldn't be considering whether people buy VC players that can't record, but rather how many people didn't buy a DVD player because they couldn't play their video tapes on them. I imagine a few people with large numbers of video tapes didn't adopt the new format right away, but I doubt that DVD player sales have been too badly affected in the long run.

border

Kid Chameleon said:
Anyway, if you want to argue this point, you shouldn't be considering whether people buy VC players that can't record, but rather how many people didn't buy a DVD player because they couldn't play their video tapes on them.
Still a fairly poor analogy, because old movies were being brought to DVD but probably less than 1% of current generation games will get next-gen remakes.....and probably no 32-bit games will get remade. Nobody is forced to abandon their favorite movies when a new video format arrives, but they are forced to abandon a library of unique games.

Still a fairly poor analogy, because old movies were being brought to DVD but probably less than 1% of current generation games will get next-gen remakes.....and probably no 32-bit games will get remade. Nobody is forced to abandon their favorite movies when a new video format arrives, but they are forced to abandon a library of unique games.

Fair point. Of course, if, for example, a person's favourite game was Final Fantasy VII, then they would almost certainly have bought a PSOne to play it. Therefore they wouldn't need to abandon their old games, but instead simply find a spare cupboard in which to keep their old system so they can get it out if they ever want to play it. So it's not quite so practical, but a PSOne under the TV or in a nearby cupboard doesn't take up that much space - less, infact than ten PSOne game cases.

Plus many of the biggest games that come out on new systems are follow-ups or remakes anyway. Just take a look at this generation: Dead Or Alive 3, Dead Or Alive Ultimate, F-Zero, Final Fantasy X, Jet Set Radio Future, Mario Party 5/6, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil: Nemesis, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Ridge Racer 5, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Collection, Soul Calibur, Soul Calibur 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Tekken Tag, Tekken 4, Tekken 5 (which includes the original games), WipEout Fusion...

Many of these titles received top ratings and all are either follow-ups or remakes. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for BC. All I'm saying is that perhaps it isn't as important as people make it out to be.

What I said is true when VCRs matter: the 80s and 90s.

Fair enough. Of course that isn't really like changing format from VCR to DVD, PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to Xbox 360 though. It's stepping away from the point a little, but that's more like asking whether people would still buy a PS2 if it didn't have the ability to play CDs, DVDs or PSOne games. The answer, most probably, is that some would and some wouldn't. But if you could buy a model that played just games for $50/£30 less than the standard model, then I'm sure that a fair percentage of consumers would go for that option.

As I say, that's stepping away from the point a little, as there looks to be just one version of X360. I think that Microsoft will get pretty much every Xbox game up and running on 360 in time for the launch though - especially after the feedback it will no doubt have received from disillusioned gamers following E3.

border

People still use VCRs to record television shows when they're out or whatever.
Plus many of the biggest games that come out on new systems are follow-ups or remakes anyway
So it'd be okay to leave the original Star Wars on VHS while only the prequels go to DVD? Sequels are not substitutes for the originals, and even ignoring that you're still excluding thousands of titles that aren't getting followups.

If you want to make gaming more mainstream, stop making people throw out all the games they accumulate. Mainstreamers are not going to fill up a closet with old consoles just to play old games.

Thinking in a more forward fashion, would BluRay and HD-DVD even have a shot at mainstream acceptance if they didn't also play regular DVDs? Probably not. If you want to have short product cycles AND capture a mass audience then don't force the old media into obsolesence.

Reilly

Kid Chameleon said:

disagree 100%

GhaleonEB

Kid Chameleon said:

Agree 100%.

:lol

I'm not saying my opinion is right or wrong. But it goes to show that there are lots of different ways of looking at things. Take floating points, for instance...

Piepz

Kid Chameleon said:
I 100% agree. I just can't play GT1, FFVII or FFVIII etc etc on my PS2 because of outdated graphics, jaggies, framerate etc. I think the same will be with current gen games when I'll get my hands on next-gen

border

Whether or not PSOne titles look that great, 128-bit games will almost certainly age better because they had less obnoxious technical restraints (draw distance, framerate, texture repetition).
Do 'mainstreamers' want to play old games at all?
Certainly more than they want to toss titles they spend hundreds on into the dumpster. Judging by the sales of retro packs and GBA remakes, old games are of interest.

Part and parcel of making games more mainstream and making them a more respected artform is advancing the perception that they aren't just disposable trinkets to be discarded as soon as new hardware arrives.

The problem is that XBox1 games are still really impressive, they don't really seem like 'old' games at all. MS can't do much about this unfortunately since they don't even own the XBox1 hardware, they have to resort to emulation. I just hope, for their sake, that they AT LEAST have BC for big games (Halo1,2,Fable) and recent titles (like Conker, or SC:CT) at launch.

Whether or not PSOne titles look that great, 128-bit games will almost certainly age better because they had less obnoxious technical restraints (draw distance, framerate, texture repetition).
Certainly more than they want to toss titles they spend hundreds on into the dumpster. Judging by the sales of retro packs and GBA remakes, old games are of interest.

I see where you're coming from.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
border said:
Part and parcel of making games more mainstream and making them a more respected artform is advancing the perception that they aren't just disposable trinkets to be discarded as soon as new hardware arrives.
Yes. YES. I've been screaming this for years.

A large part of the reason why I keep my old consoles and computers around (besides the fact that I enjoy playing Superfrog on my Amiga :D) is that it's important for me to have that historical reference for my hobby. I can pull out a game like Radar Rat Race for my son to play, and when he gets older I'll be able to share with him the importance of the C-64 (along with my NES, SNES, 3DO, Saturn, PS, etc) in gaming's timeline. Old movies are still available for purchase and rent, and nobody would think of removing them from the shelves whenever a new Bruckheimer flick is released - so why on earth would you expect this medium to be any different? Good games are good games, period.

Microsoft needs to get their shit together re: backwards compatibility.

Piepz

A quote from IGN boards:
spacewalker1 said:
But if it was't for sony, we probably wouldn't even worry about backward compatibility. I don't think its a huge deal. Wasn't the end of the world when my saturn games didn't run on my dreamcast. Nor that my snes games didn't run on my n64. I don't see what the big deal is.

gogogow

Not a huge deal huh?
Why does X360 (not 100% though) and Rev have BC?
I still remember when Allard was playing down BC and now they are in for it.

Piepz said:
A quote from IGN boards:

He might not see the big deal, but it makes a big difference especially at the begining of a platforms life. You think DS sales wasn't helped by GBA BC? That initial PS2 sales wasn't helped by PS1 BC? It's a standard now, and MS needs to do a good job of it. I'll say this, if X360 doesn't at least support Halo 2 out of the box their first year sales are going to suffer. Maybe not this holiday season, but well into 2006 when the holiday hype has died down.

MS want to sell as many X360's as possible before PS3 hits. And without a good amount of BC, that's goal is going to be a lot harder to achieve. This whole partial BC thing is retarded too, it's going to be so very confusing to casual gamers (which value BC more than hardcore gamers), MS is goin to have to find an easy way to implement future BC and be able to let the masses upgrade BC easily as well. It's going to be so fucked this holiday season when people go and buy X360 and Halo 2 plays but Riddick doesn't, or Splinter Cell doesn't.

Pimpwerx

I don't know how big a deal BC is for system sales. It means nothing to me, and I don't know anyone personally who plays their old games after they get a new system. The step down in graphics can be off-putting for many. But I know there exist people who use this feature to the fullest. I only played a couple PS1 games on my PS2 for a few minutes total, just to see what kind of filtering effects it did. After that, I never looked back. So for me, it's not a big deal. And I honestly can't see it being a deal breaker. PEACE.

Ramirez

I've never played a single PSX game on my PS2,so BC really doesn't mean shit to me...it would be nice to be able to play Halo 2 on 360 over Live though,that's about it...

I think this generation is sort of like the 8 and 16 bit gens insofar as its games will still be fun to play in the future. BC is extremely important for myself. I still play a lot of PSX games, even. Mostly RPGs I'll admit. But I play a lot of 16 and 8 bit action games, and I think there's plenty from this gen which will endure from that camp. No BC= no sale.

I think this generation is sort of like the 8 and 16 bit gens insofar as its games will still be fun to play in the future. BC is extremely important for myself. I still play a lot of PSX games, even. Mostly RPGs I'll admit. But I play a lot of 16 and 8 bit action games, and I think there's plenty from this gen which will endure from that camp. No BC= no sale.

So what you're saying is that, when Final Fantasy XIII, Dark Cloud 3, and Dragon Quest whatever number we're up to now come out on PS3, you wouldn't buy a machine if you couldn't play your PSOne games on it?

Tellaerin

I'll put it this way:

If none of the upcoming consoles were backwards compatible with previous generation(s), it wouldn't be such an issue. I love BC (it really cuts down on the clutter, it allows me to mothball my current consoles as insurance, so I can still play my old games even if my BC new system(s) die, etc.), but I've done without it in the past, and if I were forced to, I could do without it again.

However, if one (or more) systems support backwards compatibility and the others don't, the ones that do enjoy a significant advantage in my eyes. If cars didn't have air-conditioning, I'd have to grin and bear it come summertime. But if one make of car had this (technically optional) feature and all the others didn't, I guarantee you that's the car I'd want, even if the competition is a little faster or gets a few more miles to the gallon. Never underestimate the appeal of added convenience.

Tellaerin said:
I'll put it this way:

If none of the upcoming consoles were backwards compatible with previous generation(s), it wouldn't be such an issue. I love BC (it really cuts down on the clutter, it allows me to mothball my current consoles as insurance, so I can still play my old games even if my BC new system(s) die, etc.), but I've done without it in the past, and if I were forced to, I could do without it again.

However, if one (or more) systems support backwards compatibility and the others don't, the ones that do enjoy a significant advantage in my eyes. If cars didn't have air-conditioning, I'd have to grin and bear it come summertime. But if one make of car had this (technically optional) feature and all the others didn't, I guarantee you that's the car I'd want, even if the competition is a little faster or gets a few more miles to the gallon. Never underestimate the appeal of added convenience.

Well said.

Sapiens

Sony really set a precident with PS2 (console-wise). I'll probably buy a 360 (as will most of you) regardless of BC, but for the rest of the game buying audience, "duh, does it play all my old games", practically rolls of their tongues the first time they see a new system. Hell, it did when the SNES and Genesis came out as well. Jallard knows this and it kills him that he can't have it on the 360.

Let's hope they can pull off some kind of engineering miracle before nov.

fse

If I buy a 360, I don't want to have to lug my XB around just to play my old games...
I still play PSX games on my PS2, and will on a PS3. I wish the DC had Saturn game support too :(

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Also it's funny how when he's talking about FFXI, he doesn't mention PS2 in the cross-platform.

Yeah, Microsoft has dodged mentioning "that platform" when talking about FFXI. I find it quite amusing. :p<<<

There is about no chance of the next expansion hitting PS2. Even CoP has been OOP almost since it was released.

Scott

TAJ said:
There is about no chance of the next expansion hitting PS2.
Ignoring the fact that this has absolutely nothing to do with what we were discussing, I'm still struggling to figure out why you believe that. Care to enlighten me?

But as for the PS2 version of Chains of Promathia being out of print? It's not, technically. The problem they're facing is very similar to what SOE is facing with EQoA's expansion pack: they can't get retailers to re-order stock. While I don't know the politics behind it, I do know they're faring a bit better than SOE is, as they still have Amazon/Toys R' Us, Circuit City, and KBToys carrying stock.

Top Bottom