• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese-developed Silent Hill game leaked through a handful of images from a 2020 build (Sony said to be involved)

Perrott

Gold Member

Silent Hill leak. There's a lot I'm not sharing for now. This is from a relatively new source for me, but I have been given more than enough proof to believe them. I also will mention the names "Anita & Maya", "SMS Messages", & this is not the only SH game in dev. The shots are a bit dated, from 2020, so maybe this project looks a bit different now. But what I'm choosing to share. I know many will doubt this, but I have a lot of private proof to show this is real, & as always, I continue to wait on the Silent Hill game reveal.

DuskGolem says that "Sony's still involved."

L18c5du.png
e3bGJV9.png
WXJZcTA.png
SJPy3h3.png
wCi11Yz.png
J8xONDA.png
zmGItXr.png

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Dusk interestingly mentions "SMS messages", which might suggest that Gematsu's report from last year (Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment.) could be accurate, given that, according to Alanah Pearce, Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills (cancelled in 2015) was planned to be able to send you emails or text messages in real life:

demonstr8

I don’t know about this leak but Sal @ Gematsu reported on a Sony involved Silent Hill game many moons ago and he hasn’t failed yet as a source so that was good reason to believe it existed at the very least at that time.

Fake edit: the post above mine was posted at basically the same time so I wasn’t just repeating it lol

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If this rumor is real....This is the way (as a company) you deal with leaks: don't acknowledge them at all, instead create a fake studio and spread rumors and misinformation....in this way people won't believe it and the people who does believe it will be taken as a crazy conspiracy theorist with zero credibility.

And when is finally revealed, is going to be a surprise.

I hope this is real, though I find it odd that the pic of the "I hate myself" girl's face has the word "minger", a derogatory term that I always thought was exclusively a UK thing?

Just seems like an odd choice of word - unless I'm mistaken and people in other parts of the world use it too?

Last edited:

Rykan

Okay so who wins in the case that Silent Hill is actually announced buts its unrelated to Abandoned? Is that a W for Team Real or Team Fake?

Keihart

Looks lame, but it also looks like a real game, the assets look pretty legit.
If fake, someone spent time on them.

I have no idea why would anyone be interested on a new Silent Hill game if neither a sizeable part of the original team is involved or some other dev like Kojipro.
It's not like it's a real franchise with a repeatable formula, the games changed a lot over time without being able to recapture what made the first ones better, there isn't some amazing lore spread over the games either.

I have more faith on a horror game from kojipro or Bokeh with whatever name they attach it to than on another Silent HIill.

Last edited:

Keihart

Now, that's just outright false. At least for the first four games. It's chock full of lore that you have to dig deep on.
somewhere deep in there, sure.
But its not like the games are telling one cohesive tale or anything, some things get referenced and sometimes even retconned to fit the new game and that's it.
The closest we ever got to a sequel was SH1 with 3.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
somewhere deep in there, sure.
But its not like the games are telling one cohesive tale or anything, some things get referenced and sometimes even retconned to fit the new game and that's it.
The closest we ever got to a sequel was SH1 with 3.
It's not like lore needs one single series of stories to adhere to. As long as there are threads that link them to each other exist, you can weave a narrative that affect each entry. Plenty of stuff has been planted in previous games that took center stage in the sequels.

Even if it's not Silent Hill, I like those images for a concept game.

Also on a side note, Silent Hill fans should give this game a second chance:

maxresdefault.jpg

People were a bit too harsh on it back then and from trying it out recently it's a good game. Before anyone goes on a rant, I'm not saying it matches the quality of 2, 3, or 4. It did it's own thing and did it well enough to the point where I enjoyed the ride.

Looks lame, but it also looks like a real game, the assets look pretty legit.
If fake, someone spent time on them.

I have no idea why would anyone be interested on a new Silent Hill game if neither a sizeable part of the original team is involved or some other dev like Kojipro.
It's not like it's a real franchise with a repeatable formula, the games changed a lot over time without being able to recapture what made the first ones better, there isn't some amazing lore spread over the games either.

I have more faith on a horror game from kojipro or Bokeh with whatever name they attach it to than on another Silent HIill.
idiotic-billy-madison.gif

Keihart

It's not like lore needs one single series of stories to adhere to. As long as there are threads that link them to each other exist, you can weave a narrative that affect each entry. Plenty of stuff has been planted in previous games that took center stage in the sequels.
Im just saying that there is nothing there making the franchise a series to guarantee wanting more of it just because, there are not threads or a story developed over time or anything like that despite them managing to keep some loose ties between the games lore wise.
I mean, what would make you think that a new Silent Hill would be a good game compared to any other horror game out there without the name attached to it? every game departed enough from the previous one to the point that we have no protagonist or characters attached to it nor some game mechanics, a new Silent Hill game would be just a random horror game with the name stamped on it and some callbacks thrown in there for good measure.

Even Kojima's PT had not much "Silent HIll" on it, the franchise part of it had nothing to do with what made it interesting, Kojipro could be developing a horror game without the Konami franchise and it would be just as interesting.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
what would make you think that a new Silent Hill would be a good game compared to any other horror game out there without the name attached to it?
The lore. The expectations associated with it. The music (Akira Yamaoka teases) and atmosphere(obviously the fog). Monster design and the use of alchemy(not the mainstream one but thr psychological term of it by Carl Jung) which pervaded every single story beat in the first four games. The fact that this is a Japanese led game unlike the flops the western devs made.

There's so much to the ip that is intrisically appealing to me that no other horror games can compare. It's the combination of these things if done right that makes it stand out from the rest.

Lastly SH is instantly AAA and that is in very short supply in the horror genre.

Perrott

Gold Member
"faggot"
"dyke"
"minger"
"dumb"
"creep"
"fat bitch"
"pervert"
"you're depressing"

It's a little on the nose, but I'm desperate. Please, for the love of god, don't be Bloober.
I'd be lying if I said that all that stuff doesn't bring the game a different flavour that feels refreshing from the overused SH2 rip-off formula utilized by pretty much all of the post-Team Silent entries in the series. So I have no issue with this new game exploring the horror and themes in new directions.

Also, please don't be Bloober X2.

Keihart

The lore. The expectations associated with it. The music (Akira Yamaoka teases) and atmosphere(obviously the fog). Monster design and the use of alchemy(not the mainstream one but thr psychological term of it by Carl Jung) which pervaded every single story beat in the first four games. The fact that this is a Japanese led game unlike the flops the western devs made.

There's so much to the ip that is intrisically appealing to me that no other horror games can compare. It's the combination of these things if done right that makes it stand out from the rest.

Lastly SH is instantly AAA and that is in very short supply in the horror genre.
If Akira Yamaoka is on board i guess that would be cool, dude has never made a bad OST.
The Monster design has been very hit and miss since the first one.
Siren 1 and 2 are way better horror games than any Silent Hill sequel in the that sense tho, way better moster designs.

But i guess i see your point as wanting a AAA japanese horror game, i don't think SH would be it unless some interesting gameplay trailer or something is released, the good games on the franchise, namely PT after the trilogy, have very little in common.

We are not getting a game like the first 3 any time soon.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Siren 1 and 2 are way better horror games than any Silent Hill sequel in the that sense tho, way better moster designs.
The siren series are great but imo it doesn't have the appeal of SH simply because there's too many playable characters and their story is broken up in chunks too. The way they paced it is kinda confusing too with the jumping timelines. Honestly, felt more like a zombie game to me aside from the weird power that let's you see through the enemies' eyes.

SH feels more personal since you're only controlling one character. Siren feels like you're an outsider being told of the cast's struggles.

Dusk interestingly mentions "SMS messages", which might suggest that Gematsu's report from last year (Gematsu has also heard that a new Silent Hill is in development at a prominent Japanese developer. That studio is Kojima Productions, according to a publishing source that wishes to remain anonymous, who also said that the game is funded by Sony Interactive Entertainment.) could be accurate, given that, according to Alanah Pearce, Hideo Kojima's Silent Hills (cancelled in 2015) was planned to be able to send you emails or text messages in real life:

Nice detective work. Dusk Golem might've redeemed himself after the RE Village hilarity saga with this.

If it checks out to be true, we could hear about it as soon as Sony's next major showcase this summer.

"faggot"
"dyke"
"minger"
"dumb"
"creep"
"fat bitch"
"pervert"
"you're depressing"

It's a little on the nose, but I'm desperate. Please, for the love of god, don't be Bloober.

Certain people in a couple other places are going to be very offended by this while 100% ignoring the context of usage of this stuff (or the fact it's a Mature-rated game aimed at adult audiences).

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

"faggot"
"dyke"
"minger"
"dumb"
"creep"
"fat bitch"
"pervert"
"you're depressing"

Theres two games in development which lines up with what we've been hearing from 2019/2020,I'm gonna guess the really not subtle one is Bloobers episodic one and the Japanese text is from whatever prominent Japanese Dev we were promised is making the other game.

Keihart

The siren series are great but imo it doesn't have the appeal of SH simply because there's too many playable characters and their story is broken up in chunks too. The way they paced it is kinda confusing too with the jumping timelines. Honestly, felt more like a zombie game to me aside from the weird power that let's you see through the enemies' eyes.

SH feels more personal since you're only controlling one character. Siren feels like you're an outsider being told of the cast's struggles.
yeah, it is very different on the narrative part.

The way it evokes fear and horror it's very much like SH1 and 2 to some extent, i think it has more SH1 than 2 on it tho.
SH2 is more poetic and shit, but way less scary, i prefer 1.

The idea of taking mundane things into horror territory, the familiarity concept, it's very present on Siren and even more than SH i think, the games go as far as taking weapons from you , making you a child or a blind person and making you navigate everyday places now turned into nightmares.

It also has some of that subtext with characters showing their ugly sides and all.

I think the PS3 Siren game left such a bad impression on people not familiar with the games, that game is so bad compared to the previous entries, SH was no better at the time tho, truly the dark ages of japanese survival horror.

Edit: Also, Siren was making this whole viral internet add stuff way before its time, did you ever get to the Hanuda website and live feeds of the island on it? it was a different time and internet was way more misterious, it felt pretty authentic, like an OG ARG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom