• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "juicy" Deus Ex 3 details in Czech magazine

Lock if old.

Czech gaming magazine hratelne has gotten the latest look at Eidos Montreal's cyberpunk TBS/RPG Deus Ex 3 (PC,X360,PS3). Unlike some other recent 'previews', this one actually has a number of new, juicy tidbits of information.

Fans of the game on the official Deus Ex forums have taken a stab at a translation -- it is reproduced below, but here is a short-list of highlights for those with short attention spans (taken from the forums):

"-the world is ruled by megacorporations, more powerful than national governments. The conspiracy groups are setting these corporations against each other.

-the black ops slaughter the research division of the corporation Adam works at. The questions who and why is behind the attack are answered relatively soon into the game, however more serious questions arise with the answers.

-You will be regularly visiting Adam's apartment with many reminiscences of his past like photos and a diary

-The game takes place in five well-known metropoleis, mentioned were Shanghai, Detroit and Montreal

-Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actions

-Bosses are included, their difficulty also depending on your previous actions

-The secret societies are just puppets for a shadowy figure who wants to take control over all of the market, society, and the human evolution.

-The events of the game will lead to the establishment of UNATCO

-The main villain is to be 'similiar' to Jensen

-a rescue mission across the globe later in the game

-squad based combat AI with a visually identifiable squad leader"

Huh! Sounds promising to me. If they don't go too easy on the RPG elements, or over-simplfy the game like Deus Ex 2, Deus Ex 3 could be one of the more promising games for 2009 (at least for this gamer.)

Here is the fan translation of the article. It is not a word-for-word translation, but instead, sort of a terse summary:

"It had seemed the second sequel to the famous Deus Ex is just utopia.
The Ion Storm studio had been closed down some time ago, Warren Spector and Harvey Smith, the spiritual fathers of the originals had scattered into other projects.

However Eidos had not forgotten about one of its most priced brands, so when they'd opened a new studio in Montreal they decided to christen it with the developement of Deus Ex 3. There is a more than hundred member team currently working on the game, with a large budget and a lot of ideas to make this an unforgettable experience.

The first Deus Ex took place in 2052, second one will take you to 2027. Therefore it is a prequel, telling a story prior to the events of the legendary original and its worse accepted, but still solid sequel.
Deus Ex had two main themes: transformation of a man by nanotechnology and motifs of a global conspiracy.
In the third Deus Ex, these events are just rising to horizon, however society is already starting to split up.

Huge cybernetic syndicates in many states outreach the power of national governments. Who can afford it, is helping himself by the use of mechanical implants.

How do the people put up with the fact that some of them are now much smarter, stronger and more competitive than others. Tension grows in a new form of racism, on the streets augmented people are bullied by groups of ordinary people.

In the upper levels of the out of sight high skyscrapers company strategists are planning how to sabotage the competition. In background of the companies operate secret societies, however even those are only puppets. Whose puppets though? Someone wants to take control over the entire market and society, but mainly over the human evolution!

At the start of the storyline skein is a man named Adam Jensen, his world has just come to a ruin as he works as a chief of security for one of these cybernetics syndicates.

One day a special commando breaks into the building and kills all the scientists. The attackers know every detail of Adam's security plan. Someone must have taken out information.

Anyway, Adam Jensen is the protagonist, whose story starts with looking for the perpetrators and their motives. Who it was we find out soon. But the answers Adam finds will lead to more questions and in the end a rescue mission across the globe. The main villain is apparentely very similiar to Jensen. Could he be one of his relatives?

Deus Ex 3 puts a stake on a strong identification of the player with the main character. You'll get your own apartment, filled with reminiscences on Adam's life up to now.

Pictures hang on walls, and there's a computer on the table which soon becomes filled with super secret data. Distinctive female characters should appear in the game some of share common past with Adam, some of them have an interest in common future. At least one of them, though, will cross his path as a foe.

Events of DX3 will lead to the establishment of UNATCO, a police organisation of which JC Denton, protagonist of the original, was a member. Even this time it will be possible to end the game in different ways, which will depend upon the player's choices.

The authors have a difficult goal ahead of them: create a unique style for DX3. Such as the original's, System Shock's, and the latest, Bioshock's.
In short and atmospheric enviroment, which would instaneously capture the player without even focusing on the plot.

For this reason the authors are looking back at renaissance, in which they see the bonding between man and nature. However in the world of DX3, people want to exceed nature. It is, however, mainly just a visual style.

Eidos Montreal doesn't hide that they liked Bioshock's Art Deco, but obviously they can't copy that, so they made their own style. Style which combines the rough style of pessimistic cyberpunk with surprisingly detailed renaissance elements. Rich areas therefore filled with golden colors, whereas darkness rules in the poor areas below.

DX3 will, unlike the original, have more of an action spirit. Unlike its predecessor, shooting won't be impacted by stats as much as player skill. But this doesn't mean the game got rid of RPG elements.

On the contrary - skills and augs you gain will impact the choice of your combat techniques. Therefore you will be getting better, without having to worry about artificial handicaps.

AI is to get better. Groups of enemies will have their easily identifiable squad leader, and who gets him as the fist one will have his work cut out for him, as the enemy group will lose its tactical abilities. AI is supposed to react to changes in player behavior or switching weapons.

Cover is important not just for them, but for the player as well, the authors are implementing an advanced cover system, not unlike in Rainbow Six: Vegas. You will stumble upon regular enemies, robots, and of course bosses. The bosses' difficulty will depend on your previous actions!

Of course augmentations can't be missing, implants which Adam will receive through time such as X-ray vision, 'claymore', which causes a crossfire explosion and 'multi-kill' which can kill 3-4 enemies in a visually attractive scene.

And the best one - when leaping from a building, some sort of wires shoot out of Adam's back, with which he will grapple the wall and be able to comfortably walk down. The rules for augs are that they each have unique visuals, cost money and you're able to upgrade them at least once.

Money are one in-game currency, experience the other. You get experience by completing missions. Money you either find or get. And there's supposed to be only a little. The player should be constantly making decisions on his investments among augs and weaponry.
Weapons can be customised by up to four upgrades, such as scopes. Each weapon will have unique upgrades.

Augs are sorted in four categories: combat, stealth, technology (like hacking and lockpicking) and dialogue augs.

Dialogues look ordinarily at first glance, you pick from a variety of options how to continue the convo, however it is also important to watch out for the facial expressions andy body language of the particular person, you can get a lot of crucial info from these and with a bit of luck, you will be able to pick the most suitable option.

The player will visit a total of five metropoleis, other than the previously announced Shanghai it should be Detroit and Montreal. The other two are not known. The main plot will lead Adam from one metropolis to another, but the player's actions, whether he will complete the side missions and in which order will he visit the key locations, will in each of the cities be entirely up to him.

Asking if we are looking forward to DX3 is probably needless. Of course we do. At the same time we're keeping our doubts whether the untouched team will understand the original's spirit and won't create just another action game in a quite interesting environment

Sure Bioshock has shown it can be done without heavy RPG elements, but nevertheless we expect a different style from DX. Which the authors promise up. Let's hope they will keep their promise, and DX3 looks fantastic."

Source: http://www.neoseeker.com/news/9757-new-deus-ex-3-details-turn-up-in-czech-magazine/

54-46!

Sounds interesting, I havn't got a problem with them simplifying the game as long as they keep the open world dynamic of the original game.. that is, you can complete a mission in several different ways.

Zoc

The original Deus Ex had a formula that shouldn't be too hard to reproduce, actually, assuming these developers don't have their heads up their ass (which they likely do). Even Invisible War would have been miles better with just a little better thinking behind it - more open areas, more attention paid to the writing, more depth in the RPG elements and story branching.

Gattsu25

Banned
-the world is ruled by megacorporations, more powerful than national governments. The conspiracy groups are setting these corporations against each other.
Nice...stuff like this always makes me think back to Shadowrun...no...not that one...the real one.

Pikelet

Needs more Warren fucking Spector.

Hopefully they keep the exploration bonuses, that was my favourite part of the original. Otherwise im interested in how they are going with more spectacular augs (similar to say, Crysis)

more open areas, more attention paid to the writing, more depth in the RPG elements and story branching.

Agreed. However i dont think the writing or even the voice acting (aka pulp conspiracy sci fi where everything is gritty and spoken in monotone) was ever that amazing. The player choice and the interesting situations and locations that the story propels you to is what kept it compelling

Also: more optional missions and keep the density of interesting things high in the setting

Jenga

Banned
Ikopi said:
Still doubtful about this game. The earlier comments about the simplification aren't forgotten.
true dat

also, I'm wondering about this "shadowy figure" who controls everything. At first I thought it was Bob Page, but Page didn't have the mech enhancements like Adam will have.

clemenx

Banned
Ikopi said:
Still doubtful about this game. The earlier comments about the simplification aren't forgotten.
Pretty much.

But i have expectations lowered, i don't expect something near Deus Ex and i think this is a good thing to do.

Pikelet

What comments were they? the Call of Duty heal system doesnt sound like it will detract anything really from the game. In previous games i always found i had way too many medpacs and the heal augs were pretty useless. The only other thing i can remember is the cover style system they are gonna use for stealth, and it doesn't really take much to beat the previous games in this regard (where stealth was basically a synonym for crawling through vents and using the tranq gun on everyone)

Facism

i hope the the story is fleshed out and there are tertiary ojbects for you to interect with in order to fill out the story/game climate, like newspapers etc in the first Deus Ex. That game was like the UN handbook for forthcoming apocalype and epidemic.

epmode

Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
I don't see why you would simplify anything I remember the crappy Deux Ex PS2 port working just fine gameplaywise.
It's not that it didn't control well, it's that the game was too complex for mass market appeal. Deus Ex didn't sell very well, in spite of the critical acclaim. The same goes for other, similar, RPG/FPS games. Bioshock simplified the system and sold 19765972397176951253 copies.

epmode said:
It's not that it didn't control well, it's that the game was too complex for mass market appeal. Deus Ex didn't sell very well, in spite of the critical acclaim. The same goes for other, similar, RPG/FPS games. Bioshock simplified the system and sold 19765972397176951253 copies.

I think you're taking a lot of things out of account in that assessment, Bioshock sold so much due to its marketing and momentum. I'd wager that it would of sold the same amount if it had been as complicated as SS2.

To be honest I think the weapon degeneration was the only simplification that made any real difference in regards to improving the game. It's not as though people don't buy stat based RPGs and RE4 had a similar inventory system.

Facism said:
i hope the the story is fleshed out and there are tertiary ojbects for you to interect with in order to fill out the story/game climate, like newspapers etc in the first Deus Ex. That game was like the UN handbook for forthcoming apocalype and epidemic.

I agree, it made the game so vibrant and alive (and was great for replay value). I have played the game at least once every year (much to the dismay of my wife) and I STILL find new things (and not just small things).

IW wasn't a horrid game, it was just a horrible Deus Ex game. Harvey "Witchboy" Smith made a horrible game, which is funny because apparently he did the same with Area 51, spending more time on sledgehammer political references, then making a good game.

Seriously just update the first one to current gen features and standards and follow the detail of the first one and that all that needs to be done. Pretend IW didn't exist. I always felt IW created a more generic world as opposed to the realistic one (countries existed, crumbling but they did). It seemed like what the world could be in 2047. IW just felt like generic companies with no detail to the locations and the world they inhabited.

LOOK AT THIS
http://nuwen.net/dx.html

This was the detail of Deus Ex, IW had nothing like this.

Ikopi said:

I agree completely, I'm very unweary of this one. I absolutely loved the original, and while I enjoyed the sequel for bringing me back into that world, it just wasn't as fun. Simplifying this game makes it sound like they're just going to turn it into an FPS with some stat boosts and that really would be disappointing.

That said, I'll wait and see how it turns out and of course I'll hope for the best, I just won't get my hopes up too high.

LCfiner

I can't wait for a futuristic, corporate owned version of Montreal (my hometown) to appear in a game.

maybe the busses will actually run on time.

Mau ®

Well I hope the shitty economy does not force them to axe their other project: Thief 4!

I liked IW, so I think I'll like this too.

HiResDes

I didn't think Invisible War was all that bad, especially compared to other standard/action shooters, its genre binding gameplay still felt fresh. *Runs*

René_EM

Neo Member
It's not turn-based. And it's 1st person (with contextual 3rd person elements). And I have no idea what a "TBS" is. Deus Ex 3 is an FPS/RPG like the first one. The funny thing is these news sites are using a fan-made translation posted on a forum as breaking news! Hardly an official source! :)

Gattsu25

Banned
Ikopi said:
I apparently have forgotten them...link?

Also...wasn't there talk of cel-shading?

Zenith

Banned
René_EM said:
It's not turn-based. And it's 1st person (with contextual 3rd person elements). And I have no idea what a "TBS" is. Deus Ex 3 is an FPS/RPG like the first one. The funny thing is these news sites are using a fan-made translation posted on a forum as breaking news! Hardly an official source! :)

DEVELOPER.

Spill everything now. What the eff did Eidos mean when they said Deus Ex 1 was "too long"? Are they out of their minds?

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Great to see some news on this game. Thought it had got canned or something.

Please get the guy who did the DX1 soundtrack to do DX3!

Top Bottom