• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Rumors Have Nintendo Fans Excited

clem84

Gold Member
The Castlevania game they made for 3DS, mirror of fate I think, was just average. It wasn't terrible, it had some redeeming qualities, but overall not as good as the previous 2D 'vania games.

I haven't played return of Samus and it looks kinda decent. Maybe I should.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The Castlevania game they made for 3DS, mirror of fate I think, was just average. It wasn't terrible, it had some redeeming qualities, but overall not as good as the previous 2D 'vania games.

I haven't played return of Samus and it looks kinda decent. Maybe I should.
I don't think it's bad, but AM2R has a more natural progression and better controls IMO.

Majukun

I would love to see them try the botw formula with the franchise, a desolated world to explore through creative use of a set of gadget and skills, with freedom to go anywhere from the start.

i understand it's kind of the opposite of what a metroidvania is supposed to be, but i think they can make it work

Mistake

Watch them drop metroid hd on the new switch because of better hardware and grab half of switch users by the balls (me included)

Last edited:

Termite

I would love to see them try the botw formula with the franchise, a desolated world to explore through creative use of a set of gadget and skills, with freedom to go anywhere from the start.

i understand it's kind of the opposite of what a metroidvania is supposed to be, but i think they can make it work
They could make it work so easily by making the above ground open world, while the caverns below ground adhere to standard metroid progression systems. Have 33% of the game take place above ground, so you get your immersive open world exploration fix. Then have 66% of it take place below ground for a classic metroid experience.

I've thought for a long time that's what 3d Metroid should be. It's very close to what Metroid Prime was, just with the Tallon IV and Pendrana Drifts areas as two big open levels as opposed to the totally artificial "rooms" on the overworld that frankly don't make sense outside of technical limitations. Chozo Ruins, Magmoor Caverns, Phazon Mines, lower Phendrana Drifts... all these areas could stay the same.

Obviously this isn't what you're describing, and I don't think you can actually make a metroidvania truly open world. You run into the Link Between Worlds problems where a player needs access to all the "door key items" early because you never know which area they're going to go first and which key they'll need.

Watch them drop metroid hd on the new switch because of better hardware. Grab half of switch users by the balls (me included)
I've been saying they'd do that for years. Metroid Prime is a game heavily dependent on atmosphere and visuals. The Switch would not be the best place to show that off - as a home console it's generations behind the curve. But a Switch capable of 4k with DLSS? Now you're talking. Now you've got something that would excite people to buy a 4k Switch on a sizzle reel in a Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom