• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo GameCube-Style Controller NYXI Wizard Wireless Joy-pad Released for Nintendo Switch

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The new controller is aimed at the nostalgic who grew up playing the GameCube, which, as you may know, boasted a unique controller that was quite contentious. Some believe it's one of the best controllers ever made. Others think it's one of the worst. If you're in the former camp, it may be worth checking out, but it's going to set you back $69.99.

Dubbed the NYXI Wizard Wireless Joy-pad, the controller is said to boast a joystick that will somehow never succumb to stick drift, a big problem for many controllers, especially the Joy-Cons. The problem is so substantial that Nintendo has actually been sued over it and continues to actively work at improving it.

"The components in a Hall Effect joystick never physically touch, the sensors do not wear out like they do on analog joysticks. This means that in theory, Hall Effect joysticks never develop drift in their lifetime," reads an official blurb about the controller.

The controller's product page also goes on about the triggers which are said to be lighter and offer "less resistance, and shorter trigger distances." The description continues by noting that with this "hyper-fast, limited motion, you can take quick reaction shots quicker while playing your favorite shooter games."

The controller also comes with interchangeable joystick rings; adjustable turbo & mapping function; one-key wake-up and screenshot function; wireless connection and long-lasting performance; an Ergonomic, non-slip design; and the preferred gamepad for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. This is all straight from the controller's product page.

fart town usa

Gold Member

The new controller is aimed at the nostalgic who grew up playing the GameCube, which, as you may know, boasted a unique controller that was quite contentious. Some believe it's one of the best controllers ever made. Others think it's one of the worst. If you're in the former camp, it may be worth checking out, but it's going to set you back $69.99.
Count me down for worst when it comes to non first-party games.

This controller look quality though. Would feel great to use it and play Sunshine.

Banned
why would you use the gc layout for a controller like this? this is gonna be absolute dogshit to use in many games, especially fighting games

I'll wait for reviews but damn if I'm not interested in this. Just wish it had some sort of analog triggers to better use with GC ports/games with GC controller support like Sunshine.

Banned
So use an appropriate controller.
Do you use a fight stick for racing or fps games?

ok, then what is this controller for then? because smash players are quite literally the only ones coming to mind. and wasting that much tech on a single game is wild! especially since I don't even see how this would appeal to most of them either.

not only that, it has round stick gates you can use, which means the manufacturer expects you to use it for other games aside from Smash, but every other game will suck on these... so yeah.

not comparable to what you said at all. fight sticks work on any fighting game, and a wheel works on every racing game.

this thing only works well with 1 game, and that's it.
the GC button layout barely worked well on third party GC games, and those games knew what layout they were targeting.

using that layout with games that aren't adjusted to work with it will be horrible.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
“Mecha tactile” sounds like slimey ass marketing speak for “we were too cheap to use real mechanical switches so it’s a membrane with a tactile feel”. Many PC keyboards do this. So what is it, full mechanical or marketing BS?

Knightime_X

ok, then what is this controller for then? because smash players are quite literally the only ones coming to mind. and wasting that much tech on a single game is wild! especially since I don't even see how this would appeal to most of them either.

not only that, it has round stick gates you can use, which means the manufacturer expects you to use it for other games aside from Smash, but every other game will suck on these... so yeah.

not comparable to what you said at all. fight sticks work on any fighting game, and a wheel works on every racing game.

this thing only works well with 1 game, and that's it.
the GC button layout barely worked well on third party GC games, and those games knew what layout they were targeting.

using that layout with games that aren't adjusted to work with it will be horrible.
Works amazingly on gamecube and N64 games, also many emulators as well. I especially like it for metroid prime.
Of course, I wouldn't recommend it for fighting games, fps games feel kinda weird.
It's not for everyone, and that's ok.

Lasha

Why is nobody making these hall effect controllers for PS4?

Licensing would be my guess. Nintendo switch's controller support is pretty wide.You can connect any Bluetooth or USB peripheral and it will probably function in some fashion.

Top Bottom