• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation IP From Deviation Games To Feature Co-Op And Solo Modes

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
deviationgameslogo-740x431.jpeg

Former Call of Duty developers had joined hands and established a new game studio, Deviation Games, which is currently working on an exclusive title for PlayStation. Although details of the game have not been disclosed, it is rumored to be a multiplayer-focused shooter that will also include solo and co-op modes. Derek Sunshine, the game’s design director, has revealed his responsibility for implementing the solo/co-op features.

deviation.jpg

This reaffirms the notion that the new game won’t solely focus on multiplayer or games as a live service, but will also offer offline components such as the ability to play the game solo. Deviation Games is one of many studios working on new IPs for Sony, along with Haven Studios. Bungie is another major acquisition by Sony, aiming to provide them with an exclusive games-as-a-service title, which they could be preparing in case Microsoft acquires Activision, the producer of Call of Duty.

The game’s development is underway, but it is still too early to provide specific details. Deviation Games is committed to creating something fresh and brimming with innovation, promising a huge, content-rich game with a lot of action and energy. The studio has brought on board an incredible team of over 100 Deviators, and the partnership with PlayStation has provided the studio with the support necessary to thrive.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is the best news for me. I knew that they would have a SP campaign from their dev video, I just needed to know it will be playable offline

sYk8ybv.gif

I just wanted to use this gif

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
So Sony is preparing to replace COD with a game studio like this it seems. Well.....they have 4 years before MS pulls the plug.

Varteras

Gold Member
So Sony is preparing to replace COD with a game studio like this it seems. Well.....they have 4 years before MS pulls the plug.

Would not be surprised at all for this team to be an acquisition for them by this time next year. They've already put enough money into them to have two studio locations. Sounds like they fully anticipate to staff up considerably.

Fbh

Please be a regular co-op campaign and a separate PVP multiplayer mode and not some repetitive PVE loot crap

Sounds like this will deviate from the usual Playstation single player games.
Sony has been producing single player games in house but relying on third parties like Activision Blizzard for multiplayer games. Which is fine until Microsoft decides to buy all the third parties out from under you and pull the rug. So now Sony is on their own for multiplayer games.

feynoob

Banned
The issue with that is, Activision Blizzard releases Call of Duty every year...
The secret i shaving 3 studio making the same game.

If you have a number of successful live service games that are in CoD's wheelhouse, you can reduce its presence. They don't have to kill CoD. Just make it mean less.
That is easier than done. Most games have fatigue problem, and wont last that long without consistant content.
Also COD is a drug at this point, considering vanguard sold alot of copies, despite the bad state. You cant make a game like that meanigless.

COD might just kill this game, like it did to the those unknown live service games.

Varteras

Gold Member
The secret i shaving 3 studio making the same game.

That is easier than done. Most games have fatigue problem, and wont last that long without consistant content.
Also COD is a drug at this point, considering vanguard sold alot of copies, despite the bad state. You cant make a game like that meanigless.

COD might just kill this game, like it did to the those unknown live service games.

Yeah. That's why you don't rely on just one. Sony is going hard on live service. Even XDefiant has gained a significant amount of attention from the CoD crowd. It's hard but nowhere near impossible. And as I said. It's not about killing CoD. It's about making it mean less.

feynoob

Banned
Yeah. That's why you don't rely on just one. Sony is going hard on live service. Even XDefiant has gained a significant amount of attention from the CoD crowd. It's hard but nowhere near impossible. And as I said. It's not about killing CoD. It's about making it mean less.
That is the issue. You cant make COD mean less. That game is a drug to gamers, due to rush feelings.

Sony can release mountain of fps games, and it wont come close to it. The game lasted 20 years at the top of food chain. That yearly release is what made it survive that long. As long as that exist, Sony has no chance.

We've been hearing about Sony going in with live service games for years but haven't actually seen anything yet. I'm interested to see how sony handle it.

Varteras

Gold Member
That is the issue. You cant make COD mean less. That game is a drug to gamers, due to rush feelings.

Sony can release mountain of fps games, and it wont come close to it. The game lasted 20 years at the top of food chain. That yearly release is what made it survive that long. As long as that exist, Sony has no chance.

I wouldn't be so confident.

feynoob

Banned
I wouldn't be so confident.
Its not about confidence. Its speaks at the state of gaming these days.
You can have the best game in the world, and people will choose that one specific game no matter what. COD is just that game.

Battlefield couldnt keep up with that game.

Sony have already released new ip that sold over 20m copies. Why isn't it possible to do that with an fps? Playstation studios are huge and have a massive following that will buy their games. Who is better than them at creating successful new ip? Sony can even afford to lose the entire cod audience and still sell over 100m consoles. People are forgetting that the PS brand is much bigger than COD. Where was COD when sony were selling 100m PS1s? Or over 150m PS2s?

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Sony have already released new ip that sold over 20m copies. Why isn't it possible to do that with an fps? Playstation studios are huge and have a massive following that will buy their games. Who is better than them at creating successful new ip? Sony can even afford to lose the entire cod audience and still sell over 100m consoles. People are forgetting that the PS brand is much bigger than COD. Where was COD when sony were selling 100m PS1s?
SP is different compared to FPS, especially in the MP department.

Look at what happened to halo infinite f2p. People want consistent content to play in order to keep up their attention span.
COD has that huge playerbase, which helps them with their lobby games. Can't say the same thing for new IP, which is going to struggle to keep people playing and finding matches.

Sony needs to play this carefully.

Varteras

Gold Member
Its not about confidence. Its speaks at the state of gaming these days.
You can have the best game in the world, and people will choose that one specific game no matter what. COD is just that game.

Battlefield couldnt keep up with that game.

Battlefield tripped over itself right after actually managing to surpass CoD in sales for a short time and has yet to recover because most of the people who made BF what it was left.

As a long time WoW player I can tell you that things can change at any time and unexpectedly. It was the undisputed king of MMORPGs. It spent most of its 18+ years so far untouchable. Until the last 4 years or so. Blizzard fucked up two expansions in a row. Then Final Fantasy 14 did everything right and stole a shitload of its thunder. No easy feat to tear someone away from something they spent so much of their life building up. Mount collections. Achievements. Gear. Friends. Reputation. Its future is uncertain right now. Even my own guild members are preparing for the possibility of jumping ship to something else if shit hits the fan again.

In the words of a popular WoW character...
Times-Change-Sub.gif

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Battlefield tripped over itself right after actually managing to surpass CoD in sales for a short time and has yet to recover because most of the people who made BF what it was left.

As a long time WoW player I can tell you that things can change at any time and unexpectedly. It was the undisputed king of MMORPGs. It spent most of its 18+ years so far untouchable. Until the last 4 years or so. Blizzard fucked up two expansions in a row. Then Final Fantasy 14 did everything right and stole a shitload of its thunder. No easy feat to tear someone away from something they spent so much of their life building up. Mount collections. Achievements. Gear. Friends. Reputation. Its future is uncertain right now. Even my own guild members are preparing for the possibility of jumping ship to something else if shit hits the fan again.

In the words of a popular WoW character...
Times-Change-Sub.gif
Times can change. You are correct on that part.

The problem however is that there is no ff14 shooter game at the moment. The only ones that is close is BR games.

Last edited:
SP is different compared to FPS, especially in the MP department.

Look at what happened to halo infinite f2p. People want consistent content to play in order to keep up their attention span.
COD has that huge playerbase, which helps them with their lobby games. Can't say the same thing for new IP, which is going to struggle to keep people playing and finding matches.

Sony needs to play this carefully.

What does it matter if COD is staying on PS? According to Microsoft anyway. That huge playerbase is largely on PS, which is why Microsoft will leave COD exactly as it is. We still don't know the exact details of the acquisition but I don't think cod is leaving PS anytime soon. Microsoft will look really shitty if they went back on their word like that and it would have consequences for future acquisitions if they did so.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To take on CoD you need to match the whole theme-park, the campaign, the multi-player suite, and the alternative (zombie) modes, which is a pretty big undertaking.

I don't believe the path to success is an approach based on a gimmick or differentiator, offering a comprehensive alternative to CoD is the only way.

feynoob

Banned
What does it matter if COD is staying on PS? According to Microsoft anyway. That huge playerbase is largely on PS, which is why Microsoft will leave COD exactly as it is. We still don't know the exact details of the acquisition but I don't think cod is leaving PS anytime soon. Microsoft will look really shitty if they went back on their word like that and it would have consequences for future acquisitions if they did so.
We are not talking about those stuff.

We are not talking about those stuff.

Why not? Your speaking as if sony need to replace cod. Why would they if COD isn't being removed from PS? Sony were always going into live service games regardless of the Activision deal. It's not like they are doing it in response. They have conquered single player games and now they want to try the same with multiplayer games. Sony never stop building and growing their 1st party. This is the next step for them.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
COD had that huge playerbase
*fixed..

From 500.000 to ~150.000 in 6 months is really bad. Most players went back to Fortnite and Apex Legends - games that are F2P and receiving monthly updates with lots of free content.

XDefiant will be next game to strip some of the players from CoD.

feynoob

Banned
Why not? Your speaking as if sony need to replace cod. Why would they if COD isn't being removed from PS? Sony were always going into live service games regardless of the Activision deal.
No. I think you took this the wrong way.
We were talking about one of those games taking the crown from cod, like how ff14 did to wow.

feynoob

Banned
*fixed..

[/URL]

From 500.000 to ~150.000 in 6 months is really bad. Most players went back to Fortnite and Apex Legends - games that are F2P and receiving monthly updates with lots of free content.

XDefiant will be next game to strip some of the players from CoD.
That is not bad for 6 month duration. Plus this is steam. The primary storefront is still battlenet.

Fyi, peak numbers was 118k today, while destiny 2 was 94k. It's still performs much better than destiny 2 on a secondary storefront.

Can't imagine what Xbox and PS numbers.

No. I think you took this the wrong way.
We were talking about one of those games taking the crown from cod, like how ff14 did to wow.

It's not about taking the crown from cod. Sony simply want their own successful live service game that prints money. Anyway, time to sleep. It's 3am.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
That is not bad for 6 month duration. Plus this is steam. The primary storefront is still battlenet.

Fyi, peak numbers was 118k today, while destiny 2 was 94k. It's still performs much better than destiny 2 on a secondary storefront.

The numbers are ment to go up - not down.. Destiny 2 is a game from 2017.

These guys base their numbers on statistics from all storefronts and platforms:

Apex Legends has almost double that number and is from 2019. Fortnite at 3 million - lol - crazy number.

Call of Duty is at an all time low and I play DMZ daily and can see how we're unable to find matches within 5 minutes when it's past prime time.

feynoob

Banned
The numbers are ment to go up - not down.. Destiny 2 is a game from 2017.

These guys base their numbers on statistics from all storefronts and platforms:
[/URL]

Apex Legends has almost double that number and is from 2019. Fortnite at 3 million - lol - crazy number.

Call of Duty is at an all time low and I play DMZ daily and can see how we're unable to find matches within 5 minutes when it's past prime time.
CoD is yearly game here. They will be back again next year to play it again.

Having peak 118k on a secondary storefront is never bad thing like you are making it out to be.

You have to remember that this is the first year after a long time, which Activision out day1 cod game on steam.

People are still using battlenet.

Markio128

For Sony, they only need to worry about creating a game (or multiple games) that fills the void left by the loss of COD. In a few years, I reckon COD will need PlayStation more than PlayStation needs COD.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
CoD is yearly game here. They will be back again next year to play it again.

Having peak 118k on a secondary storefront is never bad thing like you are making it out to be.

You have to remember that this is the first year after a long time, which Activision out day1 cod game on steam.

People are still using battlenet.
CoD will always sell and do great numbers, but it's the first time we've seen a drop in players, content creators and streamers like with MW2/Warzone 2.0.

supernova8

Banned
Now that Guerilla seems to be doubling down on Horizon at the expense of Killzone (and the likes of Resistance etc are nowhere to be seen), Playstation studios kinda needs a new FPS (or two?), especially given the risk that Microsoft does eventually take COD exclusive (I wouldn't blame them after paying $69 (lol 69) billion for ActiBliz.

I definitely believe Playstation Studios could come up with a really good Call of Duty (or Battlefield) competitor if they threw enough resources at the thing.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
CoD will always sell and do great numbers, but it's the first time we've seen a drop in players, content creators and streamers like with MW2/Warzone 2.0.

Players stop playing after certain period of time. Its not a bad news.

The bad news will be bad sale for the next entry. That is how you will know the affect of those dropped out players.

feynoob

Banned
For Sony, they only need to worry about creating a game (or multiple games) that fills the void left by the loss of COD. In a few years, I reckon COD will need PlayStation more than PlayStation needs COD.
Both need each other.

Hope Sony can focus more on socom.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

The bad news will be bad sale for the next entry. That is how you will know the affect of those dropped out players.
Apex and Fortnite hasn't gone down in players for the past 3 years..

With all this bad publicity I'm pretty sure Activision are worried how their next CoD will sell. They need some goodwill and doesn't seem like they know how to get it - and that's a big problem.

COD sales are not going to get better after MW2. It hits for both new and old players of the franchise. They know this because they are releasing MFW2 DLC as a full priced game this year. It will run its course

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
COD sales are not going to get better after MW2. It hits for both new and old players of the franchise. They know this because they are releasing MFW2 DLC as a full priced game this year. It will run its course
Mw2 was the best selling franchise. The next one that takes the crown must be a big hit.

I wonder if black ops 2 remake can achieve that.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Deviation Games has a real opportunity to make a CoD killer if their scope is bigger than Ubisofts XDefiant. They really just need to make it F2P, have all the most popular modes and have a 5 to 10 year vision for it. Expand upon one game instead of yearly releases.

Call of Duty is running on a 20 year old modified engine and it shows in Battle Royale and DMZ. Extreme pop-ins and players surfing on the ground when looked at from far distances. Absolutely laughable how buggy MW2 still is after 6 months.

Last edited:
Mw2 was the best selling franchise. The next one that takes the crown must be a big hit.

I wonder if black ops 2 remake can achieve that.
And that is the whole point. What happens when they can no longer bank on nostalgia? That can only go on so long. Is COD still be nearly as relevant in 5-10 years, or will crash and burn like Halo? Nobody knows. It's not Fifa, where they literally is zero competition.

Top Bottom