• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 3rd party controller (RetroFighters - Defender 'Bluetooth Edition')

fart town usa

Gold Member

Ordered one the other day, sounds like it includes all the various features of a 1st party DS3.

DS3 is a wonky controller and most 3rd party options are straight trash. I have a refurbished one and it's still a bit wonky.

Just wanted to share cause if you game on a PS3, you're probably always concerned about controller issues. I'll share some thoughts once I'm able to test a few games.

• Wireless Bluetooth technology
  • Sixaxis capability
  • Compatible with PS3/PS4/PC**
  • Pressure sensitive buttons
  • Turbo functionality
  • Comfortable and responsive analog sticks
  • Vibration feedback
  • Wireless range of over 30 feet
  • LED indicator
  • Includes USB-C charging cable
**PC connectivity via USB wired connection ONLY.
***NOTE: When connecting to PS3 for first time you have to sync by connecting the USB-C cable to your PS3.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

I got the PS1/2 version. Good controller for use on the consoles and even emulators (pressure sensitivity etc.)

Only problem is the PS1/2 version copies the same massive deadzones as the dualshock/2 - essentially making it a nightmare to use with modern day or multiplayer games.

I'm sure I'll get one of these to test though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Controller that you buy because your dualshock 3 internal battery is dead
and it has built in battery

test guy GIF

Mr Hyde

I hate the Dualshock 3, it's too small for my hands making them uncomfortable to hold for long stretches of gaming. I've been eyeing the Retro Fighters Defender, looks like a modern controller that more fits my needs but no retailer in my country sells it, and I don't want to import because of high taxes and tolls. Hopefully someone starts to bring it in for sale.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You are a strong advocate of AA cells for controllers instead of in built in batteries, aren't you?
well... yes?
There is absolutely no drawback to have a battery door. In xbox controller you can:
-put rechargables
-put normal batteries
-put play'n'charge kit and use it as controller with built in battery.
-All of the above are serviceable and possible to use years down the line... maybe aside form play/n/charge kits

Drew1440

Good to see as PS3 Dualshocks are becoming harder to find in good condition. I recently picked up the PS2 version since I wanted a controller that was wireless for the PS2 and supports the analog pressure buttons, but the internal battery is a huge disadvantage since it's most likely a proprietary battery.

graywolf323

Gold Member
well... yes?
There is absolutely no drawback to have a battery door. In xbox controller you can:
-put rechargables
-put normal batteries
-All of the above are serviceable and possible to use years down the line... maybe aside form play/n/charge kits
I’d rather they do the approach 8BitDo has done where it comes with a rechargeable battery but if needed you can put in two AA’s

much better than the approach MS does where the controller ends up costing even more because you have to buy the play & charge kit separately

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
I got the PS1/2 version. Good controller for use on the consoles and even emulators (pressure sensitivity etc.)

Only problem is the PS1/2 version copies the same massive deadzones as the dualshock/2 - essentially making it a nightmare to use with modern day or multiplayer games.

I'm sure I'll get one of these to test though.
I mean but doesn't that help in emulation? I LOVE Retro Fighters controllers for the Dreamcast because it literally feels like the controller.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Controller arrived today.

I got the all black version (ABAP) and it looks and feels great. Haven't actually tried it yet cause it's lunch but I will later on and post some results.

RagnarokIV

I mean but doesn't that help in emulation? I LOVE Retro Fighters controllers for the Dreamcast because it literally feels like the controller.
Oh yeah totally, for emulation and original HW it's the best. I just tried it on a modern game out of curiosity.
I'm so impressed that I plan on getting their other controllers.

The Stig

well... yes?
-put rechargables
-put normal batteries
I just want to say I totally agree and wish to sign up to your newsletter

K2D

Banned
ZABpIw2.jpg

Could find a picture of a dualshock 3 for reference within three seconds.. but this GRIP is why the early PlayStation controllers where king.

Then DS4 happened

Then Dualsense happened.

Good riddance. RIP DS3.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Does it still feel like you're cradling a Fabergé egg in your hands, like the original ds3?
It doesn't, it's not heavy by any means but it feels solid.

It's so weird, I loved the DS3 when the PS3 was in stores but man, that controller feels like cheap trash in 2023. So bizarre.

I'm almost done with work and plan on testing some KZ2, Skate, and Dead Nation. I feel like those will give a good feel for responsiveness.

It doesn't, it's not heavy by any means but it feels solid.

It's so weird, I loved the DS3 when the PS3 was in stores but man, that controller feels like cheap trash in 2023. So bizarre.

I'm almost done with work and plan on testing some KZ2, Skate, and Dead Nation. I feel like those will give a good feel for responsiveness.

The ones they released later in the PS3's life with the rumble motors were fine, but the original Sixasis felt like the controller equivalent of those fake cellphones filled with candy.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alright, I don't even need to test any other games.

Skate 2 finally feels good again and the rumble on this thing is completely insane. Controller started rumbling and I was like, "oh wow!" lmao.

For real though, the past few years I've been all, "Man, these Skate games do not feel as good as they used to...." I thought maybe it's because the framerate is so unstable on PS3 and it definitely is, but I now realize that my recent issues were all stemming from the DS3. The game feels normal again with this new controller. For what it's worth, I've put hundreds of hours into the Skate series.

PS button is more responsive, START button is more responsive. Everything feels more responsive in terms of input.

Highly recommended if you game at all on the PS3.

eosQGkw.jpg
XAaJwvF.jpg

kFG7PMv.jpg
9RLuXZE.jpg

TLZ

Banned
The DS3 has so many technical issues, the old ones almost always need a ton of work to get up and running.
Really? Like what? Honestly and thankfully mine work normally still. Just connect and play.

framerate is so unstable on PS3
I live in this fantasy world where I hope one day Sony releases a beefed up PS3 with no frame rate issues at all and smooth as butter.

:messenger_dizzy:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Really? Like what? Honestly and thankfully mine work normally still. Just connect and play.

I live in this fantasy world where I hope one day Sony releases a beefed up PS3 with no frame rate issues at all and smooth as butter.

:messenger_dizzy:
I wish. PS3 hits hard with the unstable framerates, it's pretty wild. I definitely noticed it back then but it wasn't so glaring, lol.

Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
I wish. PS3 hits hard with the unstable framerates, it's pretty wild. I definitely noticed it back then but it wasn't so glaring, lol.
Lucky you. It was so noticeable to me it introduced me to the framerate world. I remember all the choppiness and screen tearing that I had to google it. I didn't even know the terms for them back then 😅

Never noticed any of that before the PS3, but maybe because I was playing on CRTs?

StereoVsn

Grabbed the PS2/PS3 one. My old Logitech wireless on PS2 died so figure this will be good for both PS2 and PS3.

Don't need PS4/PC controller, got plenty of those.

Top Bottom