• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 and PS4 system software beta rolling out tomorrow

No VRR still. I think its pretty obvious at this point that Sony fucked up the HDMI controller and it is incapable of VRR.
This would surely result in some form of class action lawsuit. Even if was just to annoy Sony, I’d want a check from those bitches even if it was $2.
its-da-principalities-big-worm.gif

yurinka

Seems to include a lot of cool things. All these party/chats updates seem like a previous step to integrate them with Discord.
Let's hope they say something about Spartacus soon.

Filter by genre
  • We’ve added an option to filter your game collection by genre, letting you quickly find specific types of game experiences.
Thank you Jimbo, God of stability updates! This is going to be super useful for people like me with hundreds of games. Now give me folders for the collection, please.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Allows them to do it in stages reducing up front costs and allowing them to test their current stuff more
Oh makes sense! I so I’m wrong possibly but I remember something I’ve read some years ago that if they keep the OS for X years they would need to share the full code with the Linux community.

Trogdor1123

Oh makes sense! I so I’m wrong possibly but I remember something I’ve read some years ago that if they keep the OS for X years they would need to share the full code with the Linux community.
I’m not sure if I’m right, it just seems likely. It wouldn’t surprise me they just are acting stupid too

Zeroing

Banned
I’m not sure if I’m right, it just seems likely. It wouldn’t surprise me they just are acting stupid too
I think it could also be the Linux stituation I swear I’ve read it when the PS4 launched. But yeah that theory could also be true :) maybe it’s easier to start from zero than to fix and adapt the OS.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
I know "VRR/1440p when" has become a meme at this point but I can't remember the last time I actually noticed screen tearing. Also, people gaming on a 1440p monitor probably own one that supports native downscaling from 4k?

I'd much rather they work to implement something like DV Game Mode, QMS, PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita BC, folders, etc.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Well, aside from No VRR… at least they’re going to be doing an open party chat that any friend can join like in the PS4 hay day before they ruined how voice chat worked. So, yay for bringing that back.

Shmunter

Is it possible to signup for the PS5 beta? I get page not found. Used to be on PS4 program but they dumped me like a gf that doesn’t put out.

Rayderism

Filter by genre and lock to Home are great additions, but I still wish they'd just let me have folders already. At any rate, those are the only features that interest me.

I just wonder, do they choose what game is what genre, or do I do that, because some games can fit in multiple genres?

Loxus

So, 1440p and VRR are never happening it seems.
When you really think about it.
1440p/VRR wouldn't be in a Beta update.

Especially since HDMI 2.1 came out in 2017. Sony had enough time to test those features.

IMO, VRR is disabled for some unknown reason. Same for 1440p.

I suspect vrr will be piggybacked onto Sony tvs only I think

Much like the rumoured Spartacus being more than just a games service but an all things Sony movies/tv/games

clintar

So how long does a company that advertises a feature of their product get before they have to fess up? Until the next gen gets released? Longer? Really, no VRR is disgraceful.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just d9nt get why no one like digital foundry or…you know the tons of gaming websites aren’t asking their Sony reps to clarify whats going on with VRR. like we will be at 18 months from launch in summer. It’s crazy.

Kuranghi

I'm interested to know what the voice assistant controlling settings means, does it mean you can use it to jump straight to a system settings page like video output?

That would save me a few seconds but it would be great if you can actually change settings without going to the menu. Eg say "Set HDR to Off", since even with that new setting to auto change to SDR or HDR based on if the game is outputting an HDR signal flag or not isn't a total solution and I still have to turn it off manually for some games since they will output the HDR flag even though its just worse image quality than the SDR output (Control:UE, Bugsnax, The Pathless and Kena), ie same dynamic range but now the black level is raised and the colours are washed out due to max backlight on TV.

First part is more a problem for LCDs and 2nd more for OLED, but both cause issues in both panel types.

Hopefully devs will learn more what they're doing with HDR this gen so it won't be a worry but I'm guessing issues/misunderstandings will continue for a while yet because it's still not a high priority for them vs. higher fps and resolution where the consumer perceives a difference much more easily.

Last edited:
I must admit that I am getting really sick and fed up of Sony's reluctance to add VRR to the PS5 despite many, many promises that "it is coming in a future update". I rolled my eyes (again) when I saw yet another set of release notes for a beta firmware release and still no mention of VRR support.

The lack of VRR support on the PS5 is the main reason I went out and bought an Xbox Series X last December for multi-platform releases as I was getting annoyed by screen tearing in PS5 releases such as Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, Watch Dogs: Legion (60 fps mode) and, especially, Far Cry 6. Not only that but games that don't hold a locked 60 fps end up feeling stuttery, a prime example being Guardians of the Galaxy during combat and Devil May Cry 5. All these games just feel and look so much better on Xbox Series X with a smooth framerate and no distracting 'tearing wobble'. Yes, you can blame lazy developers if you want but the reality is that achieving a perfect locked 60 fps in the majority of games is a near-impossibility unless it is a very scripted and linear game where freedom is restricted. VRR allows for games to have a bit of breathing space for those framerate drops and is not just an excuse for bad coding in my opinion. I use G-SYNC all the time on my PC and could not ever go back to play games without it.

VRR is just transformative for me so going forward I will not be buying any third-party releases on PS5 until Sony get their act together and support this current gen technology. I honestly do not understand why it is taking them so long but then should we be suprised? The PS5 box advertises 8K support and that is also missing from the console's feature set 15 months after launch!!!

Last edited:

NickFire

Cant help but be disappointed in the lack of VRR. I’m not sure I’m missing all that much, but I don’t like waiting to find out.

Loxus

Sony is famously slow at rolling out technical features. But ofc people will immediately jump to FUD and start+spread baseless hardware rumors...
To add to this, it's clearly not a hardware problem as the XB1S was updated to support it.
What is VRR? Variable refresh rate explained

VRR support: which TVs, graphics cards and consoles have it?

OK, so we already know the latest Sony and Microsoft consoles support VRR. But what else does?

Perhaps surprisingly, the Xbox One S and Xbox One X do too. They use AMD FreeSync, because they have AMD graphics processors, but have also been updated to support VRR over HDMI.

The most tech savvy among you may wonder how that’s possible when the Xbox One X and One S are not HDMI 2.1 consoles.

Here’s where things get a little more confusing. HDMI 2.1 is not a single standard, but a collection of technologies. It’s a little like 5G in that respect. Some HDMI 2.0 devices support VRR over HDMI, but the lower bandwidth of HDMI 2.0 means it works at up to 60Hz rather than 120Hz in the Xbox One X.

This HDMI fragmentation is also why some of the latest HDMI 2.1 TVs don’t support VRR: it is not a given just because you have an HDMI 2.1 socket. It will be less of a headache by the end of 2021, when VRR over HDMI will likely become a standard feature of mid-range TVs and higher.

But as it’s a patchwork of support right now, here’s an overview of which of the most popular high-end TV and console/GPU series support VRR.

Consoles

• Xbox Series X: HDMI / FreeSync
  • Xbox Series S: HDMI / FreeSync
  • Xbox One X: HDMI / FreeSync
  • Xbox One S: HDMI / FreeSync
  • PS5: HDMI
  • PS4 Pro: N/A
  • PS4: N/A
  • Nintendo Switch: N/A
Graphics cards
  • Nvidia RTX 3000 series: HDMI / G-Sync
  • Nvidia RTX 2000 series: HDMI / G-Sync
  • Nvidia GTX 1000 series: G-Sync (using DisplayPort connector only)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6000 series: HDMI / FreeSync
  • AMD Radeon RX 5000 series: HDMI / FreeSync
  • AMD Radeon RX 500 series: FreeSync
TVs
  • LG OLED CX/GX range: HDMI / FreeSync Premium / G-Sync
  • LG OLED BX range: HDMI / FreeSync Premium / G-Sync
  • Sony OLED A8: N/A
  • Panasonic HZ2000: N/A
  • Panasonic HZ1000: N/A
  • Samsung Q90T/Q95T: HDMI / FreeSync Premium
  • Samsung Q80T: HDMI / FreeSync
The rumors about Sony waiting to get VRR working on their TVs is currently the best reason for it not being available on PS5.

It's best to just wait for the update, it's not like gameplay is hindered without it.

onQ123

Makes you wonder doesn't it.

When looking at both the PS5 & PSVR 2 specs and capabilities.
VRR should be a piece of cake to implement.

I don't think it's a hardware issue though. Seeing that it requires an update, makes me think it's software related.
More than likely it's just not a widespread feature it's just a few people making a big deal about it to make it seem like it's widely used. It will come like 8K output will come when it's widely used in consumers homes.

b0uncyfr0

Im starting to think something is really fu*ky on Sony's side - they really should've added VRR/Freesync by now. Some would say its irrelevant, i kinda agree for now. I think as we approach mid gen, we'll need it when dev's start pushing the hardware and settling between 50-60 fps.

Last edited:

Withnail

PS3 gen "why is in-game XMB taking so long? Sony must have fucked up and the hardware is incapable"

PS4 gen "why is suspend/resume taking so long? Sony must have fucked up and the hardware is incapable"

PS5 gen "Why is VRR taking so long? Sony must have fucked up and the hardware is incapable"

Conclusion: Sony's gonna Sony.

cozomel

Seriously Sony, what the frick! how much longer do we have to wait til we finally get VRR and 1440p?

And if anybody got a beta code they dont want, hit me up.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Source: https://blog.playstation.com/2022/02/08/new-ps5-and-ps4-system-software-betas-roll-out-tomorrow/

Our second PS5 system software beta is kicking off tomorrow with new ways to personalize your console experience across party chat, Game Base and accessibility settings. We’re also rolling out a PS4 system software beta tomorrow for players to try out the community-requested Open Parties feature, which is also coming in the PS5 beta.

In addition, for PS5 beta participants in the U.S. and U.K, we’re previewing a feature that enables voice commands for finding and opening games and apps, as well as controlling media playback (English language setting only).

While access to the PS5 and PS4 betas will be open to selected participants in applicable countries*, the final system software updates will be available globally later this year. If you’re selected to participate in the betas, you’ll receive an email invitation when the updates are available to download tomorrow. As with previous system software betas, some features available during this phase may not make it into the final version or may see significant changes. Here’s a sneak peek:

New Party Chat Options

In response to community feedback, we’ve made some updates to the Parties system:

• Open and Closed Parties (PS5 and PS4 betas)
    • When you start a party, you can now select either an open party or a closed party:
      • An open party lets your friends see and join the party without an invite. Friends of party members can also join.
      • A closed party is only for players you invite.
    • Note: in Game Base on PS5 and Party on PS4, if you select [Open Party] when starting a party, only players using the beta version of the PS5 or PS4 system software will be able to join. To start a party that players who aren’t using the beta version can also join, select [Closed Party].
5829140c3eb476a8c7bc822ecc20f2ad764101cb.png

• Voice chat reporting feature update (PS5 beta)
    • If you want to report something that someone in a party said, there are now visual indicators for you to identify who was speaking. This will help PlayStation Safety take appropriate action based on your report. You can learn more about this feature here.
  • Share Play update (PS5 beta)
    • Start Share Play directly from the voice chat card. You no longer need to start Share Screen first to use Share Play.
2383a7def2a0d395c52cfd5679dcf112a196930f.png

• Voice chat volume (PS4 beta)
    • You can now individually adjust the voice chat volume of each player in a party on PS4, just like on PS5.
e1220e770b7eb042927f3899fe299b58b91f57e0.png

PS5 Game Base Enhancements

• Voice chats are now called parties. For easier access, we’ve divided the Game Base menu into three tabs: Friends, Parties and Messages.
03314914cf401d79a02a930f28e227c7f4b098d4.png

• From the Game Base control menu and cards, you can now:
    • View all your friends under the [Friends] tab in the control menu, or access the player search feature and friend requests through links on this tab.
    • Add a player to a group or create a new group directly from Game Base in the Control Center. You can also send text messages, quick messages, images, video clips, and view a group’s shared media from this card.
73bc1f60f9648ea4972c55e1c8bf1f110f182551.png

• When someone in a party is sharing their screen, you’ll now see the (on air) icon.
  • We’ve made it easier to decline friend requests by adding a [Decline] button to your friend request list.

New PS5 UI Features

• Filter by genre
    • We’ve added an option to filter your game collection by genre, letting you quickly find specific types of game experiences.
    • Keep in Home
      • You can now keep the games or apps you choose on your home screen by selecting “Keep in Home” with the (options) button.
      • You can keep a maximum of five games and apps on each home screen with this feature.
  • 03761de6bea19cb85b5ae3b038194f9a2dee0af6.png
    • Increased apps on the home screen
      • You can now have a total of 14 games and apps appear on your home screen.
    • Trophies UI update
      • We’ve updated the visual design of trophy cards and the trophy list. You can also see suggestions for which trophies to earn on the trophy tracker and access it from the Control Center whenever you’re playing a game.
  • b337f6b49f566314bb1ce2fef19003099eacca10-scaled.jpg
    • Start Share Screen from the Create menu
      • From the Create menu, you can now start a Share Screen and stream your gameplay to an open part

• d5f3880449f7f311dc849b84e82c0ff0c798fef8.png

New Accessibility Features
    • More Screen Reader languages
      • Screen Reader, which reads aloud on-screen text and provides spoken guidance for operating the console, is now supported in six additional languages: Russian, Arabic, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, and Korean.
      • This expands Screen Reader support to 15 languages, including the current ones (United States English, United Kingdom English, Japanese, Italian, German, Spanish, Latin American Spanish, French and Canadian French).
    • Mono audio for headphones
      • You can now enable mono audio for headphones so the same audio is played from both the left and right headphones, instead of a stereo or 3D audio sound mix. This feature provides an added option to enhance the PS5 audio experience, particularly for players with unilateral hearing loss.**
c9431bafd60623dee3cbee4d5ca98fe870adc913-scaled.jpg

• Check marks for enabled settings
    • You can now show a check mark on enabled settings so you can easily see that they’re turned on.

Voice Command (Preview): U.S. and U.K. limited release

• We’re also testing a feature that enables voice commands for finding and opening games, apps, and settings, as well as controlling media playback on the PS5 console.
  • This feature is currently available in English for beta participants with accounts registered to the U.S. and U.K.
  • To get started, enable Voice Command (Preview) from the Settings menu. Then, call out “Hey, PlayStation!” and ask your PS5 console to find a game, open an app or setting, or control playback while enjoying a movie, TV show or song.
ec42746ff85b083dacfef5fe091e118f165bebfd.png

• You can help us improve the feature through our feedback program, which will sometimes record your voice commands (in accordance with our Privacy Policy) and let you provide instant feedback from time to time. You can turn this feature off at any time within system settings (see above). This feature never records audio for child accounts.
  • We’re in an early testing phase for this feature and will be closely assessing it and listening to your feedback throughout the beta. For more details, check out this page.
6ae24f6bbb2f6440b3bcbdf67466ee5920a7d545.png

Thanks to our beta community for helping us test these new features. Which ones are you most excited for?
Voice commands?

Sounds like something called Kinect in 2010.

Elios83

Nothing special, a bunch of QoL features.
Why do they even need to beta test this stuff? For vocal commands?:messenger_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Darth vader "i find your lack of vrr disturbing" meme.

(Since i can't post image, you get the written form, enjoy)

I know "VRR/1440p when" has become a meme at this point but I can't remember the last time I actually noticed screen tearing. Also, people gaming on a 1440p monitor probably own one that supports native downscaling from 4k?

I'd much rather they work to implement something like DV Game Mode, QMS, PS1/2/3/PSP/Vita BC, folders, etc.
Not all 1440p monitors support 4K input. Most likely you left with 1080p mode, which is less than desirable.
Also VRR cuts off some input lag because don't have to use V-SYNC.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Actually like plenty of these updates despite the absence of what's already been stated.

Having more apps on the dash is good, keeping apps on dash is good, PS4 individual user volume is good.

Top Bottom