• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 and PS4 system software beta rolling out tomorrow

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
True Dolby Vision needs dedicated hardware. In other words: It won't happen.

“There are implementations that can run Dolby Vision in software, certainly in the console space but also in the TV SoC space. Specifics vary on a case-by-case basis depending on the hardware capability of the silicon in question, but we have development kits for various types of implementations, depending on the application: full hardware, hybrid of software and hardware or full software,” Dolby explained to Forbes.

Saiyan-Rox

FS Sony sent me a PS4 beta invite when I haven't owned one in years.

If any UK peeps have a ps5 key they don't want hit me up.

Here's the PS4 key 6TN6-JHNK-2N7

the last letter is an A to avoid bots.

Venuspower

“There are implementations that can run Dolby Vision in software, certainly in the console space but also in the TV SoC space. Specifics vary on a case-by-case basis depending on the hardware capability of the silicon in question, but we have development kits for various types of implementations, depending on the application: full hardware, hybrid of software and hardware or full software,” Dolby explained to Forbes.

Yes, they are talking about Dolby Vision Low Latency. But this is the cheap Dolby Vision nobody cares about because it is source/player based.

€:

Last edited:

graywolf323

Gold Member
I just got an email with a code for the PS4 beta even though Sony knows I don't have a PS4 anymore and only have a PS5 :messenger_expressionless:

Tripolygon

Banned
Anybody in the US wants to try the beta, hit me up and i will share the code. It works only 5 times so the first 5 person to PM gets it. Say which platform you want the beta code for.

Last edited:

BreakOut

I just got the Beta invite codes, but I play Destiny 2 and I’m concerned. Have there been any issues? There aren’t many days left in the season so I really don’t want to have a crashing PlayStation.

BreakOut

It says it can be used by up to five people, a friend and I are probably going to use it but after that I will post the code here for the first three people who happen to be refreshing or whatever.

Shmunter

Like the guy above, I’ll take a PS5 code if unneeded. Eternally greatful, hugs and kisses, Shmunter

Last edited:

Arioco

VRR is disabled for three possibilities:

1. Sony is waiting for all of their current Bravias to support it.
2. The PS5 HDMI port's 32Gbps cap is prohibiting it.
3. Both 1 & 2.

Option 2 is not possible, and therefore 3 is not valid either. My Samsung Qled (2018 model) has HDMI Forum VRR over HDMI 2.0 and its bandwidth is way lower than those 32 Gbps. You don't need 48 Gbps to have VRR, in fact my Oled CX (a VRR compatible device that many people are using with their Series X) doesn't have those 48 Gbps either, just 40. 🤷‍♂️

Shmunter

I want to know exactly what ALLM does. Does the console switch in and out of game mode automatically depending on content? For example, I’m playing a game on the PS5 - game mode engages, I then switch to YouTube on the PS5, it switches game mode off??

If it just switches to game mode for the entire console there is almost no benefit as the selected mode sticks to the Hdmi port anyway. This would then be a feature for lamens that don’t know any better and run their consoles in the default dynamic mode for example.

Last edited:
Dolby Atmos in games? VRR? Bring back the much better PS4 UI?
I've only had the PS5 for a month and I do not like the UI. It's like a step back into PS3.
How do I get rid of the game specific popup in background when I'm scrolling through the games?
I would rather have some static background. Or a background I can choose?
I'm surprised that there has not been more outcry over the UI over the past year. It stinks.
The Series X is leaps ahead in UI.

Before I'm called out on being a war monger.
The Series X STILL does not have navigation with HDMI CEC.
The Series X is unable to do both VRR and ALLM at the same time.
If you want ALLM you have to turn off VRR. So if you want VRR the Series X HAS to be in Game Mode at all times. It's borked.
These things magically work just fine with the PS5.
It's frustrating to see each consoles weakness and nothing being done about it. Over a year past launch

ozzrik

Neo Member
Please just give me the option to completely turn off the light coming from the ps5 and controllers. The only update that interests me. :messenger_persevering:

kyliethicc

I want to know exactly what ALLM does. Does the console switch in and out of game mode automatically depending on content? For example, I’m playing a game on the PS5 - game mode engages, I then switch to YouTube on the PS5, it switches game mode off??

If it just switches to game mode for the entire console there is almost no benefit as the selected mode sticks to the Hdmi port anyway. This would then be a feature for lamens that don’t know any better and run their consoles in the default dynamic mode for example.

What you want is Sony's new proprietary version of ALLM that only works with Sony TVs. It does exactly what you describe.

"Auto Genre Picture Mode

BRAVIA XR TVs can detect whether you are playing a game or watching movies and shows. With Auto Genre Picture Mode, your TV automatically switches into Game Mode when gaming, which minimises input lag to make the action more responsive, or to Standard Mode when watching movies via a streaming service or from an Ultra HD Blu-ray™ disc on the PS5, which shifts focus to picture processing for a more expressive picture.

Auto Genre Picture Mode will be available via a future software updates on PS5 and BRAVIA TVs by the end of 2021."

Shmunter

What you want is Sony's new proprietary version of ALLM that only works with Sony TVs. It does exactly what you describe.

"Auto Genre Picture Mode

BRAVIA XR TVs can detect whether you are playing a game or watching movies and shows. With Auto Genre Picture Mode, your TV automatically switches into Game Mode when gaming, which minimises input lag to make the action more responsive, or to Standard Mode when watching movies via a streaming service or from an Ultra HD Blu-ray™ disc on the PS5, which shifts focus to picture processing for a more expressive picture.

Auto Genre Picture Mode will be available via a future software updates on PS5 and BRAVIA TVs by the end of 2021."

So basic ALLM does nothing but switch the console to game mode for idiots that don’t know any better?

The guy above claims it switches out of game mode if watching e.g.a vid on the console?!?

kyliethicc

So basic ALLM does nothing but switch the console to game mode for idiots that don’t know any better?

The guy above claims it switches out of game mode if watching e.g.a vid on the console?!?
ALLM probably does too lol. I was sorta just mocking Sony's "exclusive" TV feature.

Ironically, the PS4 doesn't support ALLM... and yet my TV auto detects it as a PS4 and switches game mode on/off automatically.

Last edited:

Arioco

Ironically, the PS4 doesn't support ALLM... and yet my TV auto detects it as a PS4 and switches game mode on/off automatically.

Same here. My Samsung Qled detects my PS4 Pro is a PS4. My LG OLED detects it's a console (not specifically a PS4, but it knows it's a console) . In both cases the TV switches to game mode, of course.I thought ALLM was somethinga bit more exciting, TBH... 🤔

assurdum

Banned
VRR
Looking Jim Carrey GIF
Unbelievable. Not a word about VRR yet. It's start to be ridiculous.

scydrex

I want folders, VRR i don't care if I use or not there is no excuse for being disable, 1440p don't need it but games like Rachet would benefit from it for people who have a TV 120fps HDMI 2.0 the game would run 1440p 40fps/120hz instead of being 1080p.

Last edited:

Loxus

VRR is disabled for three possibilities:

1. Sony is waiting for all of their current Bravias to support it.
2. The PS5 HDMI port's 32Gbps cap is prohibiting it.
3. Both 1 & 2.
I would say no.1.
The 32 Gbit/s cap is Sony's doing and not a hardware limitation.
HDMI 2.0 = 18.0 Gbit/s (3 × 6.0 Gbit/s)
HDMI 2.1 = 48.0 Gbit/s (4 × 12.0 Gbit/s)

The 48 Gbit/s bandwidth provided by HDMI 2.1 is enough for 8K/50Hz. 32 Gbit/s is probably more than enough for 4k/120Hz since 4k/60Hz runs on 18.0 Gbit/s.

Last edited:
Top Bottom