• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Controllers Contain Secret Upgrades

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The discovery comes the way of YouTuber TronicsFix, who revealed in a tear-down video for the three new controllers that they have thicker springs in the triggers (0.3mm rather than 0.25mm), which means they should be more durable. This is an undeniable upgrade.

Another change involves the analog sticks, though right now it's unclear what the consequences of the change are. A big problem with the PS5 controller is stick drift, so it's possible this change somehow addresses this problem, but if it does, it's not clear how. Right now, the only thing that can be confirmed is the analog sticks are different. Below, you can check out this difference for yourself (the sticks on top are the new ones):

a.png

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
My first dualsense had drift 3 times, I fixed it 3 times.

So far I have yet to open my brand new dualsense controller.

To anyone of you out there encounter the analog drift, please fix it yourself. Its not hard.

RPSleon

Ive never had to buy a new controller for any playatation. But my day 2 dualsense now has a slack trigger and a crusty feeling right stick. :(

Hopefully a new one will last the lifetime like all my others have.

Corndog

Banned

The discovery comes the way of YouTuber TronicsFix, who revealed in a tear-down video for the three new controllers that they have thicker springs in the triggers (0.3mm rather than 0.25mm), which means they should be more durable. This is an undeniable upgrade.

Another change involves the analog sticks, though right now it's unclear what the consequences of the change are. A big problem with the PS5 controller is stick drift, so it's possible this change somehow addresses this problem, but if it does, it's not clear how. Right now, the only thing that can be confirmed is the analog sticks are different. Below, you can check out this difference for yourself (the sticks on top are the new ones):

a.png

Good. Hopefully they fix any problems people are currently having.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
improvements are always welcome. Too bad the battery is at most the same as the DualShock 4 but mostly worse.
How does Nintendo do it to put batteries that last so much in their controllers?
no bullshit like speakers, lights, microphones, touch pad. that will drain the battery quicker even if they don't get used much.

nintendo and xbox keep their controllers simple with buttons, sticks, basic vibration, and gyro sensors. you don't really need speakers/microphones built into a controller. the lights do nothing (useful as a torch sometimes though) and the touch pad is a glorified pause/menu button.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good to know that if I have another controller fail a replacement should be an option to fix the problem. Had an r2 trigger snap on me Which sucked.

Banned
the biggest issue I still have with the Dualsense, and which is a straight downgrade from the Dualshock 4 is the ergonomics... and the D-Pad to a degree...

but the ergonomics are just not great. the handles have such a weird fucking shape, this slight inward curve and thickness... such a weird change.
but I can't play intense games for longer than an hour with that thing.

I just recently played Apex Legends on my PS5 again (I usually play it on PS4 Pro connected to my PC monitor due to the input lag of the TV bein too much for me, but lately the framerate issues on there just annoyed me too much) and I legit had to grab my Dualshock 4 from my PS4 Pro after an hour of playing ranked with my squad due to my hands absolutely cramping up...

so if anything I want an upgrade on it's that lol... OR LET US USE FUCKING DUALSHOCK 4s FOR FUCKS SAKE! because once the PS5 version is out and I wanna play that (hopefully with a 120hz mode finally), I will not be able to use my Dualshock 4 anymore PLAYING THE EXACT SAME GAME ON THE EXACT SAME CONSOLE due to Sony's stupid arbitrary limitations on controllers -_-

Last edited:

Rudius

improvements are always welcome. Too bad the battery is at most the same as the DualShock 4 but mostly worse.
How does Nintendo do it to put batteries that last so much in their controllers?
The battery is larger than the one on Dualshock 4 and probably any other regular controller. It just has many electric motors the require power. If you play without trigger effects and low rumble it will last a lot. To me the battery duration is worth the extra features.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thicker springs is good. My controller that came with the system had the R2 spring break after a month or so. Ended up using springs from old DS3 to replace both the R2 and L2 while I had it apart. Also ordered a little box of springs just in case since they are super cheap.

Luckily no other issues so far, but I did buy a black Dualsense for back up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't care I have all controllers and use an Xbox with eneloops that run circles around other controller batteries. In the end the power to choose your battery is always best.
Exsactly. There is NO DOWNSIDE to using batteries like in xbox controllers:
-You can use AA
-You can use AA rechargables
-You can use battery plan and charge pack and turn it into charged controller
-AA gives loner battery life.

With Dualsense
-Ass battery life
-Assier battery life after few years
-Replacement chinese knock off batteries are ass
-No choice

btw.... I am ps5 gamer. Dualsense is amazing but it WILL DIE.

Last edited:

Chronicle

You never heard of it then claim it’s just a few streamers. Which is it?
The 'few streamers' is an example of a few people that you/ts may have heard of. I haven't heard of any stick drift issues whatsoever.

A few = 3 btw. There are 10's of millions of PS5s out there. In other words......

It's not an issue.

Does that clarify it for you?

Damigos

the biggest issue I still have with the Dualsense, and which is a straight downgrade from the Dualshock 4 is the ergonomics... and the D-Pad to a degree...

but the ergonomics are just not great. the handles have such a weird fucking shape, this slight inward curve and thickness... such a weird change.

I just recently played Apex Legends on my PS5 again (I usually play it on PS4 Pro connected to my PC monitor due to the input lag of the TV bein too much for me, but lately the framerate issues on there just annoyed me too much) and I legit had to grab my Dualshock 4 from my PS4 Pro after an hour of playing ranked with my squad due to my hands absolutely cramping up...

so if anything I want an upgrade on it's that lol... OR LET US USE FUCKING DUALSHOCK 4s FOR FUCKS SAKE! because once the PS5 version is out and I wanna play that (hopefully with a 120hz mode finally), I will not be able to use my Dualshock 4 anymore PLAYING THE EXACT SAME GAME ON THE EXACT SAME CONSOLE due to Sony's stupid arbitrary limitations on controllers -_-

I am using the DualSense for 3-4 hour gaming sessions (until battery dies) and it is the best and most comfortable controller i ve used

Banned
I am using the DualSense for 3-4 hour gaming sessions (until battery dies) and it is the best and most comfortable controller i ve used

well different hands have different needs I guess, but for me it is the most uncomfortable one I used in a while

I am currently using Xbox SX, Dualshock 4, Dualsense and the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ on a regular basis. the Dualsense is way too bulky for me, and the shape makes my hands cramp if I play either too long or play intensive games like ranked in Apex

the Dualshock 4 copied/was heavily inspired by the handle shapes of the 360 controller, which are perfect for my hands for example

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Yep...I read this info last week and immediately bought the new blue controller for the stronger springs to use with GT7 and the other "trigger effect" games... which unfortunately will mostly only be 1st party

I also have a black and a white controller to spread the wear and tear for other games without using the adaptive triggers so I don't have to worry as much about them breaking.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope they do improve the build quality DPad wise. My launch model’s DPad kind of moves a bit about, has a bit of play, and tends to hit against the hard controller shell after a bit of use (when pressing in certain directions) and I have to nudge it a bit back. Not sure I am explaining it well, but for me it is a somewhat of a regression compared to the DS4.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Can’t agree with that. The ergonomics of the Dualsense are the best that Sony have ever delivered. All of the buttons, including the d-pad, are also perfection (or at least the best that’s ever been delivered IMO).

The Dualshock 4 was like holding 2 fucking dildos.

Banned
Can’t agree with that. The ergonomics of the Dualsense are the best that Sony have ever delivered. All of the buttons, including the d-pad, are also perfection (or at least the best that’s ever been delivered IMO).

The Dualshock 4 was like holding 2 fucking dildos.

the Dualshock 4's ergonomics were heavily inspired by the 360 controller, which was often called the best controller ever when it was still in use.

also the Dpad on the Dualsense is mushy as fuck and it creaks weirdly when doing circle motions (and it's not just a bad one off thing, I have 3 and all of them are identical)

Banjo64

cumsessed
the Dualshock 4's ergonomics were heavily inspired by the 360 controller, which was often called the best controller ever when it was still in use.

also the Dpad on the Dualsense is mushy as fuck and it creaks weirdly when doing circle motions (and it's not just a bad one off thing, I have 3 and all of them are identical)
Yep, the 360 pad was the best ever controller at the time, but it’s been superseded by its Xbox successors and the DS4 and Dualsense.

I still maintain that the DS4 grips were 2 dildos and the Dualsense is better in every way. My d-pad is fine, it’s neither mushy nor creaky.

It’s ergonomics though, everyone has different hands and preferences.

Last edited:

Duchess

(touches all the wood in immediate area)

I've had every PlayStation console and have been lucky enough never to have experienced stick drift.

My PS2 and PS3 both broke down, though, and had to be replaced / refurbished, so maybe I already paid that particular penance? :)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yep, the 360 pad was the best ever controller at the time, but it’s been superseded by its Xbox successors and the DS4 and Dualsense.

I still maintain that the DS4 grips were 2 dildos and the Dualsense is better in every way. My d-pad is fine, it’s neither mushy nor creaky.

It’s ergonomics though, everyone has different hands and preferences.
the overall quality of xbox controllers after 360 is high but I dislike the use of sharp clicky buttons on dpad and lb/rb.
The new analog sticks are also a bit weird with the sharp edge.

Pagusas

Elden Member

you are the only person i’ve ever met that likes the DS4 over the DS. I legit have hated every sony controller sense the original DS thanks to it aiming at people with micro hands. The ps5 DS is the first time I held a PS controller and said “”finally this feels good”. Do you by chance have super tiny hands?

ARK1391

the overall quality of xbox controllers after 360 is high but I dislike the use of sharp clicky buttons on dpad and lb/rb.
The new analog sticks are also a bit weird with the sharp edge.
Agreed, they have improved a lot. But I do have issues with sticky face buttons on both of my Xbox series controllers (forza 5 and design lab).

I've never had a single issue with my playstation controllers. But everyone gets lucky sometimes. Hardware is never going to be perfect.

NinjaBoiX

Disagree. That would defeat the purpose of it being wireless.
Yeah, that’s not worth basically £100 to me. Plugging in a cable for an hour every few days is no biggie.
Yeah I don't understand why people don't do this. A 10-15ft usb cable is like $5-$6 maaaaaybe $10. You just plug in and keep playing....
This.

Hell, have a power bank charged and just plug that in from the couch if a cable dangling from the console is that much of an issue.

SeraphJan

DualSense is awesome, my second favorite controller now

But my top controller is still Switch Pro controller, the battery life is amazing

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I’ve just never really found battery life on controllers to be that much of an issue, especially as it’s so easy to just plug it in and keep playing. Or just take a break for an hour or so if you can’t stand the cable.

I get the battery life issue with phones, you’re likely away from home and may struggle to find a power source.

But controllers? Nah. Obviously unless it’s dying every hour or two.

Banned
you are the only person i’ve ever met that likes the DS4 over the DS. I legit have hated every sony controller sense the original DS thanks to it aiming at people with micro hands. The ps5 DS is the first time I held a PS controller and said “”finally this feels good”. Do you by chance have super tiny hands?

my hands are pretty average I would way. it's also not necessarily the size, it's the shape. the grips curve inward as I said, and that gives me cramps.

it feels bulky and weirldy shaped.

the DualShock 4 grips feel pretty much ideal to me, due to them being basically modelled after the 360 grips.

the Xbox One grips were decent, the SX refresh is slightly better still too.

Top Bottom