• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Controllers Contain Secret Upgrades

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
When people complain about stick drift on their controller this is how I imagine how they play all the time

video game anime gif GIF

DarkestHour

Banned
Why would you get a third controller and make the battery smaller?

They're pointing fun at your dumb recommendation to spend even more money to make the shitty battery life acceptable. This is exactly what Sony wants. They want you to buy more devices so they make things shitty. Controllers break? Too bad, buy another one. Battery life sucks because of all the force gimmicks? Too bad, buy another one for a spare. Oh, buy a charger too while you're at it.

Want to use DS4? Nah, buy a new controller even though the DS4 works fine.

Nintendo is equally guilt of this with how terrible the build quality is on the Joycons.

Last edited:

RCU005

When people complain about stick drift on their controller this is how I imagine how they play all the time

But Also by using L3 and R3! These BS buttons shouldn't exist! They mess up the sticks and are uncomfortable to use! I'm playing Horizon and it just sucks that you have to keep pressing R3 for focus (and holding which is worse!). Also running with L3 is the biggest gameplay crime in gaming!

Damigos

well different hands have different needs I guess, but for me it is the most uncomfortable one I used in a while

I am currently using Xbox SX, Dualshock 4, Dualsense and the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ on a regular basis. the Dualsense is way too bulky for me, and the shape makes my hands cramp if I play either too long or play intensive games like ranked in Apex

the Dualshock 4 copied/was heavily inspired by the handle shapes of the 360 controller, which are perfect for my hands for example
I have very big hands, maybe this is why

yurinka

It would be nice to confirm if these improvements are also added to the white controllers included in the new shipments of the consoles or with the white ones sold separatedly.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I doubt an increase of .05 mm is anything more than a sourcing change. You would need to actually test the spring to know if it's better, not just measure it's size.

sendit

They're pointing fun at your dumb recommendation to spend even more money to make the shitty battery life acceptable. This is exactly what Sony wants. They want you to buy more devices so they make things shitty. Controllers break? Too bad, buy another one. Battery life sucks because of all the force gimmicks? Too bad, buy another one for a spare. Oh, buy a charger too while you're at it.

Nintendo is equally guilt of this with how terrible the build quality is on the Joycons.
The controller has a lot of battery draining tech. Sadly battery tech has not advanced in a 1:1 fashion. You want a bigger battery in a already compact space? This could increase the thing you’re already afraid to spend on, money.

People here expecting miracles “just put a better battery while defying the laws of physics”.

Last edited:

Warablo

Haven't tried the Dualsense, but hate how the Dualshock 4 controller angles my hands compared to other controllers.

Mr1999

Cool, I literally just picked one up an hour ago with no idea of the new or old versions, not much of a gamepad player anyways but bought one for yuzu and elden ring, got the galactic purple version for a hefty price of $80 or something like that after taxes. Build quality is really nice.

bender

What time is it?
the overall quality of xbox controllers after 360 is high but I dislike the use of sharp clicky buttons on dpad and lb/rb.
The new analog sticks are also a bit weird with the sharp edge.

I had the worst luck with 360 controllers and experienced stick drift on almost every unit I owned in a matter of days, weeks or months. I've not had that issue with any controller since (*knock on wood*) but to be fair, I never use the Switch's Joy Cons.

My first dualsense had drift 3 times, I fixed it 3 times.

So far I have yet to open my brand new dualsense controller.

To anyone of you out there encounter the analog drift, please fix it yourself. Its not hard.
Is there a common fix for these, mine just started

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Is there a common fix for these, mine just started

I use this tutorial.

All you need is screw, a small blade to fit in the gap in the controller and patience.

Tweezer is optional for me.

However, if you are worry about breaking your controller, you may do it after warranty ends.
Otherwise, you can just send in for warranty repair.

For me, its not hard to fix it, the ribbons inside the controller is quite durable.

The 3rd time I fix my controller, i can do it without referring to any video anymore.

Last edited:
the biggest issue I still have with the Dualsense, and which is a straight downgrade from the Dualshock 4 is the ergonomics..
Yes. Ds4 is undeniably more ergonomic.

Just when Sony got it mostly right on ps4 after 3 gens of frankenstein controllers, they change it again.

At first I really hated the dualsense but i’ve gotten used to it now… but it’s still worse. Hand cramping is more frequent.

Barakov

Ive never had to buy a new controller for any playatation. But my day 2 dualsense now has a slack trigger and a crusty feeling right stick. :(

Hopefully a new one will last the lifetime like all my others have.
Seems like a crap shoot honestly. The only playsation controller I had go bad was my launch PS4 controller's left thumbstick rubber pad just disintegrated after a while. The one I replaced it with and the one that came with my PS4 pro never had any issues. Launch issues definitely seem like a thing especially given all the new tech they jammed in there.

Banned
Yes. Ds4 is undeniably more ergonomic.

Just when Sony got it mostly right on ps4 after 3 gens of frankenstein controllers, they change it again.

At first I really hated the dualsense but i’ve gotten used to it now… but it’s still worse. Hand cramping is more frequent.

I don't get it either. the only improvement the Dualshock 4 really needed was better triggers and that's it

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I'm not trying to downplay any stick or drift issues here, but i have owned a PSOne, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro and now a PS5 and i have never had drift on any of my controllers on any of them. Either i've been really lucky, or people really beat the shit out of their controllers.

tylrdiablos

I've been considering buying a PS5 controller to use on my PC for a few months now.
Does anyone know if these revised controllers have something to look for on the box? Something in the serial numbers maybe, or won't you know until you open it and disassemble it?

Max_Po

Banned
I've been considering buying a PS5 controller to use on my PC for a few months now.
Does anyone know if these revised controllers have something to look for on the box? Something in the serial numbers maybe, or won't you know until you open it and disassemble it?

Get Pink, Blue or Purple. Those are newer.

Banned
I'm not trying to downplay any stick or drift issues here, but i have owned a PSOne, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS4 Pro and now a PS5 and i have never had drift on any of my controllers on any of them. Either i've been really lucky, or people really beat the shit out of their controllers.

what kind of games do you play usually?
this might be a mix of you playing less stressful titles and the games you play having really big dead-zones.

for older games on PS1 to PS3 the games on there usually had exceptionally big dead-zones, so big they would be shit on by fans these days for not having smaller ones or options to change them. so there drift was still a thing but way less noticeable due to the way too large dead-zones.

another possibility is that you are playing less stressful games and therefore aren't wearing out the sticks as much as people playing intense games that constantly use fast stick movement, like competitive shooters.

I have 3 PS4 controllers with bad drift. 2 have drift on the left stick, 1 has slight drift on the right stick.
another PS4 controller doesn't have drift, but another issue a lot of PS4 controller seem to have (as I know 3 people with that exact issue). and that is a "dead angle" is what I call it.
basically certain angles will not trigger an input. this then usually manifests in your character movement hitching or for me, when I play Apex Legends, my character suddenly stops sprinting for a moment if I move the left stick to a very specific spot (slightly to the left of center top)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
except for having to buy batteries in the first place.

disclaimer: i have a bunch of panasonic eneloop rechargeable batteries, and theyre great... but i didnt want to buy them.
ah boooo hooo what am i going to do, buy 10pack from ikea or rechargables that last me years...
Nah. better to throw the controller in the trash or deal with dying battery. that will do.
OPTIONS

RafterXL

Stick drift issue? Never heard of that. I mean an issue is far greater than a few streamers crying about something.

The 'few streamers' is an example of a few people that you/ts may have heard of. I haven't heard of any stick drift issues whatsoever.

A few = 3 btw. There are 10's of millions of PS5s out there. In other words......

It's not an issue.

Does that clarify it for you?
It clarifies that you've been living under a rock. You being ignorant doesn't make a problem any less of a problem. My dualsense had stick drift two weeks out out the box. It's the only non-joycon controller I've ever owned with stick drift and people having been reporting about dualsense stick drift since last year.
Most console and PC players want wired anyway.
False. Most console players absolutely do not want wired. If they did they come wired default like they used to.
The controller has a lot of battery draining tech. Sadly battery tech has not advanced in a 1:1 fashion. You want a bigger battery in a already compact space? This could increase the thing you’re already afraid to spend on, money.

People here expecting miracles “just put a better battery while defying the laws of physics”.
How is it defying the laws of physics when other, similarly sized controllers have bigger batteries? Obviously Microsoft are miracle workers in your eyes, considering the one controller they make with an internal battery is 25% more powerful. Yeah, there's a lit more going on in the Dualsense, which is exactly why they shouldn't have cheaped out on the battery.

sendit

How is it defying the laws of physics when other, similarly sized controllers have bigger batteries? Obviously Microsoft are miracle workers in your eyes, considering the one controller they make with an internal battery is 25% more powerful. Yeah, there's a lit more going on in the Dualsense, which is exactly why they shouldn't have cheaped out on the battery.

Agreed. Didn’t realize the Xbox Series controller also had advanced haptics, pressure resistive triggers, and a touch pad. My apologies.

BTW. The Dualsense’s internal battery has a higher capacity than the Xbox official battery pack.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Agreed. Didn’t realize the Xbox Series controller also had advanced haptics, pressure resistive triggers, and a touch pad. My apologies.

BTW. The Dualsense’s internal battery has a higher capacity than the Xbox official battery pack.
Dude, are you being intentionally obtuse? I mentioned all the extra shit going on in the DualSense, which is exactly why they should have used a bigger battery. If you are going to add a bunch of stuff that drains the battery you need to add more battery to compensate. Or you could just have your fanboys run interference for an obvious flaw that has been around since the DS4. We know which route Sony chose, and it's why I have to charge my DS every session and I charge my Elite every 2 weeks.

And the official Xbox battery pack has nothing to do with internal battery discussion. The ONLY Xbox controller with an internal battery shits on the DS in size and battery life.

GymWolf

People thinking that a shitty ds4 is better than x360 controller are giving me a good laugh, thanks boys.

You have to go into joycon territory to find a worse controller than ds4.

Last edited:

peronmls

False. Most console players absolutely do not want wired. If they did they come wired default like they used to.
It's TRUE people complain about latency now and days so if you are a casual then yeah you don't need it. Controllers DO come weird and are made available. If you were smart you'd use weird anyway with such features and not rely on battery.

RafterXL

It's TRUE people complain about latency now and days so if you are a casual then yeah you don't need it. Controllers DO come weird and are made available. If you were smart you'd use weird anyway with such features and not rely on battery.
Lol...what people? There are dozens of you! The difference is so marginal as to be imperceptible to most people. Only a casual runs a 10 foot cable across their living room. If "most" people wanted wired, they'd come in the box as I said, so no, it's not true. Next you'll tell me most people want CRT monitors instead of flat screens.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Been watching some cool dankpods videos recently and been reminded what happens to old devices with internal battery.
For example, this new, never used 15yo ipod. Battery is completely dead. Not to mention, these batteries not only die but have a very high chance of expanding.
This is a fate for every internal battery with current tech sadly. Maybe nowadays it's a bit better than 15 years ago. I am not sure.
That's why I like to have options to have a battery cover. To be able to use AA/rechargables/play'n'charge kit.
That said - is daily used lion battery going to live longer or shorter than never used ?

edit: At least dualsense battery is easy to replace and with a plug. No ungluing or destroying anything. The problem will be sourcing new good batteries probably

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m curious to see it. Not something I need at all, but if I’m in the market for new controller I’d consider splurging. Hopefully the build quality is better then the Xbox controllers.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
the only thing i see different witht he sticks is the bottome plastic part is a different color. 🤷‍♂️

wvnative

At least Nintendo doesn't actively patch out adaptive equipment for people who want or need other controllers.

WitchHunter

The discovery comes the way of YouTuber TronicsFix, who revealed in a tear-down video for the three new controllers that they have thicker springs in the triggers (0.3mm rather than 0.25mm), which means they should be more durable. This is an undeniable upgrade.

Another change involves the analog sticks, though right now it's unclear what the consequences of the change are. A big problem with the PS5 controller is stick drift, so it's possible this change somehow addresses this problem, but if it does, it's not clear how. Right now, the only thing that can be confirmed is the analog sticks are different. Below, you can check out this difference for yourself (the sticks on top are the new ones):

a.png

Every fuckin PS controller I owned had stick drift. What's new here? It's a built in handicap to anger the whinos, enjoy the treatment.

oh I love this guy. 0.05 thicker springs you say?

sainraja

no bullshit like speakers, lights, microphones, touch pad. that will drain the battery quicker even if they don't get used much.

nintendo and xbox keep their controllers simple with buttons, sticks, basic vibration, and gyro sensors. you don't really need speakers/microphones built into a controller. the lights do nothing (useful as a torch sometimes though) and the touch pad is a glorified pause/menu button.
I think having a speaker on the controller is pretty cool, being able to hear radio conversations or other audio cues in games feels great, so I think its a great feature on PS controllers. I feel like people are just against anything that is different than what is considered the norm — things can take a while to get fully adopted and I am glad that Sony has been pushing it on their controllers for two generations so far.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

The discovery comes the way of YouTuber TronicsFix, who revealed in a tear-down video for the three new controllers that they have thicker springs in the triggers (0.3mm rather than 0.25mm), which means they should be more durable. This is an undeniable upgrade.

Another change involves the analog sticks, though right now it's unclear what the consequences of the change are. A big problem with the PS5 controller is stick drift, so it's possible this change somehow addresses this problem, but if it does, it's not clear how. Right now, the only thing that can be confirmed is the analog sticks are different. Below, you can check out this difference for yourself (the sticks on top are the new ones):

a.png

Jesus, those colors are sweet ... ... when will they bring back the banana controllers?

Never had any issues with any PS controllers I've owned since PS1 says until I bought a galactic purple Dual Sense 3 weeks ago that spazzes out when I hit the left trigger. Apparently a common issue with the springs of the models.

I've just recently returned it for that fault. Wish I bought XBOX controller as I game on PC. Never had any issues with those in the past.

Top Bottom