• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 Feature Will End [Adjust HDR] Confusion, But only on Sony TVs

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Sony has launched a new "Perfect for PS5" campaign to promote its BRAVIA XR televisions, featuring two PS5-exclusive features, namely "Auto HDR Tone Mapping" & "Auto Genre Picture Mode".

"Auto HDR Tone Mapping" refers to automatic HGiG parameter population through identification of the TV model number through EDID.

"Auto Genre Picture Mode" is PS5's version of automatic game mode switching.

Besides the BRAVIA XR TVs (X90J, X95J, A80J, A90J, Z9J), the X80J, X85J and last year's XH90 or X900H are also getting the new features following a software update on both the PS5 console and the TVs.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
That's excellent. So people with these TVs don't have to mess about with the HDR settings. Hopefully all TV manufacturers follow suit.

FrankWza

So does the game need to require Hgig as well like in LG TVs? I’m confused.
It sounds like it’s doing it’s own adjustments on the OS or PS5 system level. So that there’s no overlapping. This way, you can set your tv and not have to worry about changing settings.

It sounds like it’s doing it’s own adjustments on the OS or PS5 system level. So that there’s no overlapping. This way, you can set your tv and not have to worry about changing settings.
Yeah, I don’t see how this couldn’t have worked with LG tv’s. If Sony does similar bullshit with VRR and locks it to their tv’s…man I’d be pissed.

FrankWza

Yeah, I don’t see how this couldn’t have worked with LG tv’s. If Sony does similar bullshit with VRR and locks it to their tv’s…man I’d be pissed.
I doubt it. You never know, but I doubt it. It’s not really a comparable situation anyway.
edit: I don’t see this as a negative. It’s just a universal adjustment to set your settings and not have to constantly change. It may work with LG TVs too but they’re just marketing their TVs

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Hopefully it's only something for the Sony TV's and they allow everyone else to manually adjust the HDR settings.

It took me a little while to get mine dialed in but once I did at least I know they are set up correctly for my TV.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
So buying a Sony TV with my PS5 worked out after all

It would require work on the TV manufacturers side to support this correctly as there is no standard iirc
Maybe having an option to let the ps5 override the tv settings would be a better solution.

MrFunSocks

Banned
They can have something similar to Sony's Auto HDR Tone Mapping that can work with any HDR device. Well hopefully.
But again, the PS5 is doing the work here, not the TV. The PS5 adjusts its settings based on the model of Sony tv it is connected to. Sony would need to implement this for their competitors TVs, which is highly unlikely.

kyliethicc

So does the game need to require Hgig as well like in LG TVs? I’m confused.
Yes games need an implementation of HGIG to work with the system level HDR calibration on PS4 / PS5 / XBO / XBS. (Watch the video, he literally answered your exact question.)

Pretty much every Sony & Microsoft game from the last 5 years supports HGIG.

And many 3rd party games do as well.

Here's the HGIG member list so far, you can see many publishers.

Sony, Microsoft, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Epic, Square, Capcom, WB, and more.

adINTIn.jpg

Pretty cunty move to not make there solution work on all tv's.
This feature, in a way, actually could work with other TVs.

This feature is basically one part of HGIG's recommended solution for HDR gaming - which is to store a database of info about various TV models used for HDR calibration on the console. Nothing I've read indicates that Sony is blocking LG or Samsung from doing something similar on PS5. If that info can be communicated with the console, it could work basically the same.

PRAk5pv.jpg

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If sony tv were still top of line (thank goodness they aren't because I wouldn't want to be tempted to support a company like the current sony) I could maybe look past this but

This is downright despicable but I suppose we should just be glad they are no longer breaking federal law

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Man, and people say console gaming is just plug & play and doesn’t need tinkering. I play games often on PC and I am finding these more complicated than PC gaming

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I wouldn't buy a Sony television Purley because of how slow they're on releasing software updates. A perfect example of Sonys shenanigans is when they took over a year to release a Dolby Vision update back in 2018.

Kerotan

I've been hoping to sell my ps5 and TV and get one of the new Sony sets. I already bought a replacement ps5 but do you think someone will pay €1500 for an xf900 49" and a ps5 leading up to Christmas. The ps5 will be going for an insane price so someone might bite.

Justin9mm

It's not confusing at all to setup manually.
I think for some people it's not that it's confusing as such, but sometimes it's hard to know what the optimal picture should end up looking like, I'm forever fiddling to see if I can make the picture better because I for one suffer from indecisiveness and OCD. My HDR already looks great, I know when it looks wrong or bad but it takes the guess work out.

dotnotbot

This guy full of shit or why are all of his videos downvoted so much?

Yes, he spreads a lot of FUD about some TVs, especially Sony. Basically he hates everything that gets praised among professional reviewers, used to accuse HDTVTest of being dishonest (even though HDTVTest is always very clear about his testing methodology and proves everything using test patterns). He's also a total jerk, often rude to people in the comments. He claims to be a professional calibrator but won't show his certificate and doesn't seem to own any measuring equipement, someone figured out that he probably works at Best Buy and is just one of those guys who "calibrate" TVs.

Unfortunately he gains a lot of attention on Youtube because of his clickbaity thumbnails and titles, people who aren't well oriented in TVs tend to fall for his bullshit even though he usually doesn't provide any proof for what he claims. What he sees as an accurate picture is oversaturated mess that he just tweaked to his preference without taking any measurements.

I'm not saying 100% of what he says is false but it's usually ~70% and he often mixes up basic terms and doesn't have a clue about video standards.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yesir, I've had the X900H before getting a LG CX 55. I'd recommend going with LG C2 next year, I know I'll be getting the 42" one specifically for my desk gaming. I was thinking using that for my eventual PC build as well.
I need something quite bright that I can leave running through the day with some static images on

I jumped on the X900H right at launch hoping it was going to be the perfect console gaming TV, so much for early adoption.

Luckily Best Buy has said I could return it for a full refund just trying to decide which to grab next

Might wait for the 2022 model TVs and see what improvements they have as this TV still looks great just missing VRR functioning properly.

Top Bottom