• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 revisions appear in AUS, new disc revision now weighs the same as a launch digital edition.

Wohc

Banned
The company doing the shipping isnt charging you for the weight in grams they would charge you in dimensional weight for an item like the PS5, so they charge the size of the box.

The company might be making a saving, but Sony isnt.

<-- Worked logistics for an Internet provider, what made our accountants hard wasnt when a new lighter version of a modem showed up, but when a new smaller box was introduced their keyboards got sticky.
Would have never thought that weight is that unimportant, because weight = fuel. But i believe you if you worked in that business.

Trogdor1123

Can't wait for his analysis.

ZTgUCtQ.jpg

🤣😂
Only if he buys it on wish!

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wouldn't that be why it's more expensive though? Because 6nm costs a bit more currently?
The chip is the same but smaller.
If they were making a 6nm chip thats the same physical size as the PS5s current chip then yes it would be more expensive, but since the chip is actually smaller all the R&D has already been done by TSMC/AMD/Sony, all they are doing is using less material, each wafer can give them alot more PS5 chips on the smaller node.
Its an economies of scale situation.
Would have never thought that weight is that unimportant, because weight = fuel. But i believe you if you worked in that business.
Generally it actually depends on the actual weight of the item.
Shipping companies basically say whatever costs more is what we are going to charge you.
If the item takes up alot of space but isnt very heavy, we will charge you based on its size.
If the item is very heavy but takes up a little space, we will charge you based on its weight.

So if you are shipping a bar of lead they charge on the weight even if the bar is only 12" long.
If you are shipping a box of feathers thats the exact same size as that bar of lead, they will charge you based on its size.

If youve ever worked logistics you can almost by eye guess what the shipping company is going to do.
Most electronics fall into the category where the shipping company makes more money charging you based on the dimensional weight of the item over its actual weight.

You can see how this affects companies irl, whenever you need to RMA an item that has free shipping you will see many times the company will ship you a box thats saves as much space as possible, thats cuz they want to save on shipping, the weight of the item hasnt changed but the dimensions of the box has, so they can save on that.

Wohc

Banned
Generally it actually depends on the actual weight of the item.
Shipping companies basically say whatever costs more is what we are going to charge you.
If the item takes up alot of space but isnt very heavy, we will charge you based on its size.
If the item is very heavy but takes up a little space, we will charge you based on its weight.

So if you are shipping a bar of lead they charge on the weight even if the bar is only 12" long.
If you are shipping a box of feathers thats the exact same size as that bar of lead, they will charge you based on its size.

If youve ever worked logistics you can almost by eye guess what the shipping company is going to do.
Most electronics fall into the category where the shipping company makes more money charging you based on the dimensional weight of the item over its actual weight.

You can see how this affects companies irl, whenever you need to RMA an item that has free shipping you will see many times the company will ship you a box thats saves as much space as possible, thats cuz they want to save on shipping, the weight of the item hasnt changed but the dimensions of the box has, so they can save on that.
Very interesting, thank you for this (y)

So sad the dude received death threats to he and his family and was doxed over his opinion. It's just a video game console.

Good to see hardware revisions and hopefully we'll see some downward price revisions as well.
Opinion? What are you talking about? His analysis was just shit. Pointing a heat meter at the exhaust of the console is no opinion. Especially not when you make wrong assumptions that the console will have performance issues
He got his ass roasted by Gamersnexus.

He's a clueless clown and has no idea what he was talking about.

Not that I think he deserved Death threats or to be doxed. But his Analysis was pure shit.

I'm starting to think Sony increased the price because they have around 13/15M consoles to produce until march next year and they didn't want to lose money in such a huge amount of units since they never produced so many units in such a short amount of time. Even if this is a new revision.
Sony is raising their price on most of their hardware - tvs, monitors, headphones, etc. It's not a decision exclusive to PlayStation and chances are Jim Ryan had no say in it.

This gen. I’m calling Sony excuse bullshit (supply/parts) as same factors are affecting both Nintendo and Microsoft and they didn’t increase the price of their consoles.
You can't include Nintendo in that. The Switch is in its sixth year, already in stock everywhere and is using technology prehistoric comparatively to PS5 and Series X. Honestly, them still selling the Switch at its launch price in 2017 is more shocking than PS5's 5-10% increase in certain regions.

Plus, they kind of did raise the price, by moving to the OLED which is even more than the already overpriced base model.

Microsoft can and will eat the cost. They not only can afford it, but having a significantly smaller player base, thry need things like this to start making up ground.

Last edited:
Opinion? What are you talking about? His analysis was just shit. Pointing a heat meter at the exhaust of the console is no opinion. Especially not when you make wrong assumptions that the console will have performance issues
He got his ass roasted by Gamersnexus.

He's a clueless clown and has no idea what he was talking about.

Not that I think he deserved Death threats or to be doxed. But his Analysis was pure shit.
I don't recall him ever stating that his opinion was a certified fact. I don't recall him saying that his opinion was an official scientific based conclusion. His channel is all about opinions. He looked at the new heatsink, one the first to do, and concluded that the original was better. A point that was never really verified one way or the other.

Gamers nexus stated a heat gun was not a scientific test but again I didn't hear anybody say that it was. People post stuff on the internet all the time and it's not a reason to get bent out of shape. At least we agree that the death threats were entirely insane especially over video games.

bitbydeath

Completely different issues. Coil whine is a hardware issue that can't be fixed except with new hardware. My PS5 has it big time. It's a buzzing noise that varies in frequency and intensity depending on what's happening on screen. The changes are instant, like steps, it's very different from what a fan or a disc spinning sounds like.
Seems to be just disc drive ones from what I’ve heard and Sony reduced the disc drive noise through an update a while back.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems to be just disc drive ones from what I’ve heard and Sony reduced the disc drive noise through an update a while back.

What do you mean, are you saying coil whine doesn't exist? You are factually wrong. Disc drive noise sounds completely different.

bitbydeath

What do you mean, are you saying coil whine doesn't exist? You are factually wrong. Disc drive noise sounds completely different.
I’m not doubting, as any product could get any conceivable defect. But the disc drive noise did fix noise issues for those that had that particular issue.

Tommi84

IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO FIX COIL WHINE USING A SOFTWARE UPDATE. Please stop and believe the users that have this thing. I have coil whine, it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT than disc spinning. The disc drive noise was when the console would spin the drive every 40min or so (even if you were playing a digital game xD). Coil whine is constant in more demanding games

Coil whine is caused by Sony cheaping out on power supply components

bitbydeath

IT'S NOT POSSIBLE TO FIX COIL WHINE USING A SOFTWARE UPDATE. Please stop and believe the users that have this thing. I have coil whine, it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT than disc spinning. The disc drive noise was when the console would spin the drive every 40min or so (even if you were playing a digital game xD). Coil whine is constant in more demanding games

Coil whine is caused by Sony cheaping out on power supply components
I’m sure some people have it, could have just been a bad batch though since it isn’t a widespread issue.

Lasha

300g will save them a lot of money just for the logistics. Wonder where they reduced that, maybe again from the cooling elements.
Probably not that much. The max weight for a 40' container is like 20,000KG. Ballpark 2,000 consoles based on the dimensions of my PS5 box. PS5 weighs around 5KG. A fully stuff container of launch PS5 is probably just around half of the maximum allowed weight. Sony probably isn't saving much on logistics unless the boxes for the new revisions take up a significantly smaller volume of space. The real savings is probably in manufacturing by using lighter/cheaper/fewer materials. Manufacturing costs are probably the biggest cost so any reduction is great for Sony.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I’m not doubting, as any product could get any conceivable defect. But the disc drive noise did fix noise issues for those that had that particular issue.

Sure. That problem was that the disc would start spinning at random points I think. And that's super noisy.

But coil whine is a separate problem, which many (but not all) PS5s seem to have. It's definitely more widespread than just a few isolated cases.

John Wick

It amazes me how dense some people and feign ignorance. Costs are going up for everything.
Just read this article about shipping to get an idea of costs involved to transport goods.
"Transporting a 40-foot steel container of cargo by sea from Shanghai to Rotterdam now costs a record $10,522, a whopping 547% higher than the seasonal average over the last five years."

bitbydeath

Sure. That problem was that the disc would start spinning at random points I think. And that's super noisy.

But coil whine is a separate problem, which many (but not all) PS5s seem to have. It's definitely more widespread than just a few isolated cases.
A lot of them got proven to be fake.
Just people shit stirring with hair dryers blasting next to them for laughs.

//DEVIL//

Lol.
The disc drive randomly spinning was real though. But that was fixed via firmware update. I believe it still does but at lower unnoticed speed.

Coil whine was a different issue and that can't be fixed unless Sony does add a layer of sort of ...( forgot what it's called but it's like gel/ paste ) thing on some parts of the PSU to reduce the vibration noise )

My 3090 strix had coil whine but my previous 3080 ftw3 didn't ( or at least was not noticeable at all.

Last edited:
This gen. I’m calling Sony excuse bullshit (supply/parts) as same factors are affecting both Nintendo and Microsoft and they didn’t increase the price of their consoles.
You mean facts. Parts, materials and shipping being more expensive together with unfavourable currency rates in most areas except US are simply facts. Nintendo is losing some profit per unit sold (they are selling really old hardware with a healthy profit already though) and Microsoft is willing to eat the additional losses which is commendable.

bitbydeath

How is a hair dryer supposed to fake a disc drive or coil whine? A fan, yes maybe. But a spinning drive or coil whine?

Lol.
The disc drive randomly spinning was real though. But that was fixed via firmware update. I believe it still does but at lower unnoticed speed.

Coil whine was a different issue and that can't be fixed unless Sony does add a layer of sort of ...( forgot what it's called but it's like gel/ paste ) thing on some parts of the PSU to reduce the vibration noise )

My 3090 strix had coil whine but my previous 3080 ftw3 didn't ( or at least was not noticeable at all.

The coil whine, they just pretended to have a noisy PS5.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Maybe they have shrunk the apu so the cooling can be a lot less.

Less heat, less power draw, quieter. These are all wins. And will help for Sony to save money on logistics.

But then they put the price up so they can make even more money when they are cutting material and shipping costs.

GG Sony.
prices are going up everywhere as economy in bit of a colapse look at usd and euro conversion.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Coil whine sounds nothing like a fan/hair dryer. Here's an example and also explanation:

And here's another one:

I could find you ten more easily.

Now these are obviously very amplified, it's not that loud in reality, and of course you can also hear the fan and sometimes the disc drive in these videos. But that's unrelated, the coil whine is the very obvious buzzing sound that's separate from the fan noise.

What I mostly hear from my PS5 is the coil whine (which is pretty much constant when a game is running) and the disc drive (which is intermittent). The fan is usually rather quiet, the coil whine can usually be easily heard over it. And it's very easy to tell which is which, again, they're completely different noises.

Maybe some dumbasses put up fake videos, but this is a very real issue. I don't know why you're trying to debunk it.

Why the fuck would I pretend to have an issue like that? What's wrong with you?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Coil whine sounds nothing like a fan/hair dryer. Here's an example and also explanation:

And here's another one:

I could find you ten more easily.

Now these are obviously very amplified, it's not that loud in reality, and of course you can also hear the fan and sometimes the disc drive in these videos. But that's unrelated, the coil whine is the very obvious buzzing sound that's separate from the fan noise.

What I mostly hear from my PS5 is the coil whine (which is pretty much constant when a game is running) and the disc drive (which is intermittent). The fan is usually rather quiet, the coil whine can usually be easily heard over it. And it's very easy to tell which is which, again, they're completely different noises.

Maybe some dumbasses put up fake videos, but this is a very real issue. I don't know why you're trying to debunk it.

Why the fuck would I pretend to have an issue like that? What's wrong with you?

I feel like you don’t know what a hair dryer sounds like or are just taking the piss?

Either case, a lot of the early reports were debunked. You can find them on old threads here.

Last edited:

BlackTron

So sad the dude received death threats to he and his family and was doxed over his opinion. It's just a video game console.

Good to see hardware revisions and hopefully we'll see some downward price revisions as well.

That behavior makes those people infinitely worse than he is but I'm not surprised that people were outraged.

He didn't deserve that kind of response, but he did deserve some pushback for such a brain-dead video that gave people ammunition to run with. He was essentially posing as someone who knew what he was doing (false) and spreading misinformation.

If your "opinion" is so badly informed you really shouldn't be doing a video like that, to me it was like the Verge PC build level bad. How can you be a supposed gaming/tech guy and measure the temperature of a console by its exhaust?? Maybe I should upgrade the cooling on my PC...when I see the temps go down, where is all that heat energy going? Oh right...OUT THE EXHAUST...

//DEVIL//

Both of my ps5 did have that when I had them . But it wasn't so bad. The only way I was able to hear it if i was close to it and everything in mute. Which I get it because I am OCD. But when it comes to normal human being, this is not an issue lol

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Both my ps5 did have that . But it wasn't so bad. The only way I was able to hear it if i was close to it and everything in mute. Which I get it because I am OCD. But when it comes to normal human being, this is not an issue lol
Yeah, I’m not denying that some did have it, but it got blown out of proportion to make people think it was a bigger issue than it was, like how others faked the smoking Xbox.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Both my ps5 did have that . But it wasn't so bad. The only way I was able to hear it if i was close to it and everything in mute. Which I get it because I am OCD. But when it comes to normal human being, this is not an issue lol

No they didn't, it was clearly a hair dryer, that I guess you must have accidentally left running every time you used your consoles. Even though coil whine sounds nothing like a hair dryer whatsoever.

Top Bottom