• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS5 revisions appear in AUS, new disc revision now weighs the same as a launch digital edition.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2022/08/29/new-ps5-model-cfi-1202b-cfi-1202a/

it was revealed by Japanese retailers that a brand new PS5 model dubbed the CFI-1200 model was releasing on September 15th, but after chatting to a few retailers and those who have recently picked up consoles in Australia, it appears that we are the first country to get the new model again.

The Digital PS5 (CFI-1202B) is 200 grams lighter at 3.4kg (so 500 grams lighter than the original launch digital PS5), and according to the manual of the Disc PS5 (CFI-1202A) its 300 grams lighter at 3.9kg (so 600 grams lighter than the original launch Disc PS5).

This now means that the new model Disc PS5 now weights what the Digital PS5 did at launch.

sexy saturday night live GIF

PS5 losing that fat.

supernova8

Banned
So Sony found ways to reduce the cost of manufacturing each unit by reducing the mass of some components or replacing them with lighter materials, but still decided to say fuck you to the majority of markets by increasing the price by 10% or more. Damn.
d&d no GIF by Hyper RPG

Only way for them to learn is for people to not buy one at least until they lower the price again. But we know that will not work so........

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe they have shrunk the apu so the cooling can be a lot less.

Less heat, less power draw, quieter. These are all wins. And will help for Sony to save money on logistics.

But then they put the price up so they can make even more money when they are cutting material and shipping costs.

GG Sony.

Less heat, less power draw, quieter. These are all wins. And will help for Sony to save money on logistics.

But then they put the price up so they can make even more money when they are cutting material and shipping costs.

GG Sony.
Or they manage to produce more units because they are paying more to their suppliers like Apple does to "skip" some waiting lines

Let's not forget Sony mentioned 18M consoles sold this fiscal year. They can't do that the way things were going. It's possible this price increase is because of that as well.

Not defending the decision... it's still shitty but a real possibility

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Or they manage to produce more units because they are paying more to their suppliers like Apple does as we to "skip" some waiting lines

Let's not forget Sony mentioned 18M consoles sold this fiscal year. They can't do that the way things were going. It's possible this price increase is because of that as well.

Not defending the decision... it's still shitty but a real possibility

Yeah, fair points. Will need to see how abundant stock is.

I will applaud Sony if they hit 18 mill this year. Incredible achievement.

EDIT: from the user manual maximum power rate is 350W. What's the maximum power rate of older models?

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
300g will save them a lot of money just for the logistics. Wonder where they reduced that, maybe again from the cooling elements.
They most likely get charged Dimensional Weight anyway, so unless the box is smaller 300g per unit isnt much.
If its 300g of copper per unit.....now thats a huge savings.

GG Sony.
It would be so fucked up if they actually managed to get that 6nm die shrink yet decide to increase the price of the console.

reksveks

300g per unit is a lot of saved fuel if you ship like 20 million per year.
Think the point was that most shipping companies also factor (and primarily afaik but happy for people whom buying shipping on ocean freights to correct me) in the volume of the box. Sony wont be paying for the fuel and won't have their own shipping system.

Example of Nintendo reducing the size of the box: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...ackaging-by-20percent-to-combat-supply-issues

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
Think the point was that most shipping companies also factor (and primarily afaik but happy for people whom buying shipping on ocean freights) in the volume of the box. Sony wont be paying for the fuel and won't have their own shipping system.
The shipping costs of all stuff that i sent to other people is 50/50 weight/size and many things that i buy from retailers the shipping costs also are dependant on weight. I mean we don't know for sure what contracts Sony has, but i would be shocked if this wouldn't save some nice money.

MODEL CFI-1015A 350W
Same for the CFI-11XX; That is a shame. I was expecting a reduced power consumption with the rumored 6nm revision but these values take that hypothesis out of the window. Curious to know what changes they have made.

BTW at least these fucking Horizon bundles seems ended.

reksveks

The shipping costs of all stuff that i sent to other people is 50/50 weight/size and many things that i buy from retailers the shipping costs also are dependant on weight. I mean we don't know for sure what contracts Sony has, but i would be shocked if this wouldn't save some nice money.
You are very different than a massive company. I suspect the bigger factor is the size cause you are buying by the container as I understand it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If I remember correctly most of consoles had new secret revisions.
I only cleaned my launch ps5 disc edition for first time since launch. It's heavy. Feels good.

Now waiting for Austin Evans to say that it's worse because exhaust air is warmer... what an idiot lol

REDRZA MWS

Who cares? My launch day disc version is silent as hell, never once gave me a second of trouble, and lastly, will the “new revision” make my games look/play any better? Nope.

Last edited:

yurqqa

I work for a company that produces electrical devices and electronics.
We raised prices 3 times in the last 14 months - +25% in total.

For products having chips inside, it was even worse.

Where do you guys work that you haven't heard about the situation with material prices on many markets ?
Probably nowhere.

Last edited:

Loxus

So Sony found ways to reduce the cost of manufacturing each unit by reducing the mass of some components or replacing them with lighter materials, but still decided to say fuck you to the majority of markets by increasing the price by 10% or more. Damn.
d&d no GIF by Hyper RPG
Or, regular materials probably was hard to source, so they had to which to lighter more expensive materials.🤷
Just a thought.

Last edited:

Unknown?

d&d no GIF by Hyper RPG
They aren't the only ones. Everything is going up, EVs shot up several thousands. Then again prices aren't actually going up, it's the currencies that are going down because they're fiat and have no real backing of value. Monopoly money and modern currencies are the same.

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe it's already using TSMC's N6 node. This has a 18% higher density and might also save a bit on power and heat.
Maybe that´s why the console a bit lighter

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought they patched that out ages ago?
Wasn’t the noise found out to be the disc spinning?

Completely different issues. Coil whine is a hardware issue that can't be fixed except with new hardware. My PS5 has it big time. It's a buzzing noise that varies in frequency and intensity depending on what's happening on screen. The changes are instant, like steps, it's very different from what a fan or a disc spinning sounds like.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Last one was an improvement, lets see this one.

But as far as my brothers launch PS5 goes, it survived the heatwaves no problem.

ANIMAL1975

d&d no GIF by Hyper RPG
So lighter (but equally good or better) materials are cheaper? If you had only said 'reduced the mass of some components' i could agree with you,... forgetting that we don't know how much the price of the PS5 components has raised since the beginning of the inflation spike we are living in.

Same for the CFI-11XX; That is a shame. I was expecting a reduced power consumption with the rumored 6nm revision but these values take that hypothesis out of the window. Curious to know what changes they have made.

BTW at least these fucking Horizon bundles seems ended.
That's not the power consumption, it's the power unit max capacity.

Business

They most likely get charged Dimensional Weight anyway, so unless the box is smaller 300g per unit isnt much.
If its 300g of copper per unit.....now thats a huge savings.

It would be so fucked up if they actually managed to get that 6nm die shrink yet decide to increase the price of the console.

Yep a pallet of PS5’s is definitely less than 333kg per cubic meter, smaller box is what matters for shipping cost.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
300g per unit is a lot of saved fuel if you ship like 20 million per year.
The company doing the shipping isnt charging you for the weight in grams they would charge you in dimensional weight for an item like the PS5, so they charge the size of the box.

The company might be making a saving, but Sony isnt.

<-- Worked logistics for an Internet provider, what made our accountants hard wasnt when a new lighter version of a modem showed up, but when a new smaller box was introduced their keyboards got sticky.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I work for a company that produces the electrical devices and electronics.
We raised the prices 3 times in the last 14 months - +25% in total.

Where the products included chips, it was even worse.

Where do you guys work that you haven't heard about the situation with the material prices on many markets ?
Probably nowhere.
The only company that increased their console price is Sony. Even though Nintendo and Microsoft still produce consoles.

Top Bottom