• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PSVR 2 Video

sendit

$400 or more sounds insane to me.

You realize the Oculus is a standalone console with everything (the cpu, gpu, the storage, the shop) fully inside the headset? To sell just a VR headset that uses the console for all its heavy lifting--even if it's a very nice headset--is crazy at that price. I already have a PS5, but I still can't take it seriously to spend the same price as the console all over again just for a headset.

I'd say $299 or under is where they can be taken seriously with this. Otherwise the console+headset price is just too high for this to have any impact at all on the broader market exposure of virtual reality.
This is why we can't have nice things. Console gamers are cheap.

Brigandier

damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It does have some solo content, but nothing like a campaign as far as I know.
Ok thanks! I'll be getting Horizon call of the Mountain, Star Wars and the Resident Evils so far 😍 if anybody has any recommendations I'd love to hear some

Tygeezy

i really want to try no man’s sky in psvr. It will be awesome.

Why? It’s a valid point. This has no wifi, no processor, I’m the ps5 does most of the work I think. 299 is probably low, especially with current Sony, but 399 is what I’m thinking too.

I asked this in a thread a while back that see what the biggest cost is in a headset and it seems like no one knows. Where does most of the cost come from?
It most certainly does have a processor. It can't track your eyes or controllers without a processor on board.

SLB1904

Banned
Does Firewall have single player?
yes
Ok thanks! I'll be getting Horizon call of the Mountain, Star Wars and the Resident Evils so far 😍 if anybody has any recommendations I'd love to hear some
the walkind dead must have

I heard Moss is pretty dope, that is if they make a native app for it.
the sequel is already confirmed

3D audiotech, but no built-in headphone...?
yeah it comes with earbuds attached to the headset

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I suspect a $399 price tag, which is already very high for a peripheral. At $499 its a tough sell, at $599 it's doa.

Hobbygaming

yes

the walkind dead must have

the sequel is already confirmed

yeah it comes with earbuds attached to the headset
I will add Firewall and The Walking Dead then 🤩 you just reminded me too there's a cool looking zombie PSVR 2 game that I remember from that last state of play that I must buy

Baki

I've tried wireless VR. The image is nowhere near as crisp when wired and a tad on the washed out side.

IQ is extremely important when it comes to VR.

PSVR (wired), Vive (wired), Index (wired), not really niche. Wireless will be better a gen or two down the line, IMO.
They are niche. Quest 2 is 90% of the VR market for a reason.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are niche. Quest 2 is 90% of the VR market for a reason.
Because they sold at a super cheap heavy loss to get there. Price was the 90% factor, even if it had a single wire.

I bet most of their repeat consumers for long term use reads more like the Wii generation. ;)

Last edited:

Baki

Because they sold at a super cheap heavy loss to get there.

I bet most of their repeat consumers for long term use reads more like the Wii generation. ;)
It’s outselling the Xbox and price is an important factor as well. Quest store did $1B in revenue last year and is growing quick.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s outselling the Xbox and price is an important factor as well. Quest store did $1B in revenue last year and is growing quick.
It is THE main factor. It would have been DOA (in comparison) at the $500-$600+ price points as other VR sets.

They even raised it by $100 after getting the saturation they wanted. They knew.

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see an HDR OLED VR headset. My biggest complaint with my Index is how HORRIBLE the contrast and dynamic range is on it. The thing has a static contrast of like 400:1. It's awful. Cranking the brightness to 160% helps at least for bright scenes because your eyes will constrict your pupils to accommodate the brighter parts, adding fake dynamic range, but in dark areas where your pupils dilate to let more light in, man does it look bad. Just super washed out and grey blacks. An HDR OLED though? That's the dream. Can't wait to see this thing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
All good choices. Like others have mentioned Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 (releasing later this year, then next year on PSVR2) will likely be even better than the first.

Red Matter 2 is looking good as well.

Lots of great PSVR titles, but will need to see which ones get ports/upgrades to PSVR2 before throwing up a list.

Hobbygaming

All good choices. Like others have mentioned Saints & Sinners Chapter 2 (releasing later this year, then next year on PSVR2) will likely be even better than the first.

Red Matter 2 is looking good as well.

Lots of great PSVR titles, but will need to see which ones get ports/upgrades to PSVR2 before throwing up a list.
I'll check those out. And yeah BC with PSVR 1 would be cool I wanted to try that Inpatient game and Astrobot

ABnormal

Oh man, people are gonna get very disappointed when they see the combat mechanics in Horizon.
Aside the technical side of things, That's one of the games I'm the least interested to :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It will be good as a spectacle and to enjoy the capabilities of PSVR2, but will also be very simple on the gameplay compartment. I doubt anyone espects something elaborated.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You don't need gloves to track the fingers. And BTW PSVR2 controllers already track the fingers.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have actual finger tracking, but rather finger sensing? Meaning it knows whether or not a finger is lifted up etc, but not exactly where it is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't have actual finger tracking, but rather finger sensing? Meaning it knows whether or not a finger is lifted up etc, but not exactly where it is.
Well I agree it's maybe not 100% accurate but it's technically still finger tracking. The tech will quickly evolve into increasing the precision of tracking.

Valonquar

After the HDR passthrough issues with PSVR 1.0 release ver, I'll wait for a 2.1 release with fixes to whatever they fuck up on this time around, if I get it at all.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
That's the thing you misunderstand here.

I have a PC VR setup, thanks to using the wireless mode of the Quest 2. I played Alyx along with a ton of unique experiences (emulators with VR mods, VR mods of great games like HL2, homebrew experiments, and so on).

The Quest 2 at $400 (I paid $300) gives you acccess to the whole world of VR if you have a PC, and even if you don't you can use Sidequest to load a ton of community games/mods/ports right inside the headset for free (like Minecraft in full VR, excellent Quake/Doom etc ports, or build whatever you want since it's open).

No matter how nice the PSVR2 headset is, it's a disgraceful value at $500 if you can only play the small, approved set of games within Sony's walled garden. Their store can't offer even a fraction of the value necessary to justify having over $1000 of hardware sunk into a PS5+VR setup.

With a PC, there's no comparison here because you are paying for full freedom. Consoles can never come even close to the price of PCs without being a total joke because they can offer only their own stores with a tiny, curated, corporate-approved fraction of gaming.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
GT7 on Day 1 please.

Wip3out, Everybody's Golf VR, Job Simulator, Rogue Squadrons, Dreams, ASTRO Bot Rescue Mission, Sega Mega Drive Classics (LOVE this experience), Moss, SuperHOT, Rush of Blood, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. Skyrim VR and Playroom VR should all be patched.

They WON'T all be... but they all SHOULD be. I know I'm going to be annoyed with this rollout.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well I agree it's maybe not 100% accurate but it's technically still finger tracking. The tech will quickly evolve into increasing the precision of tracking.
"Finger tracking" (more like finger touch) via controllers has basically been in status quo since Oculus Rift S, and for good reasons. When it comes to precision, hand tracking/finger tracking via headset cameras is better, but with that follows a tsunami of occlusion issues (and you'll not be able to hold a controller anyway). On that off-topic note, I have a suspicion that several upcoming next gen VR solutions will have controllers with their own onboard inside-out cameras.

Last edited:
Top Bottom