• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quantum Break Impressions & Previews

Well okay comparing it to Gears was a little unfair. And the game definitely won't be bad. I agree it looks like you'll be forced to move, but there's a lack of vertical movement in all these videos, I don't think the character can jump or climb. I'm not saying it should be just like Uncharted, but I feel like Uncharted's addition of jumping, climbing, swinging etc to the basic TPS formula is genuinely brilliant. The time mechanics of QB have been done before, several times.

woah lets leave uncharted to be uncharted. I dont want a third person shooter to be too vertical. adding up and down a lot to aiming etc can cause issues to the over all feel of an shooter due to the aiming etc. That is my personal feeling tho. I think if they nail that great feeling combat then that will be awesome. I can play uncharted for it's unchartedness. I play uncharted more like an adventure game with shooting. climbing, puzzles, etc This game will be a straight up action shooter. Hopefully awesome arenas with great combat

Yup, this is exactly why I think people jumping to conclusions will be proven wrong. The enemies with time altering abilities opens up the game to so many potentially cool combat scenarios.

Yep, people are underestimating just what the combat experience in this game can be like once all the different elements start coming together. If Remedy has proved anything over the years, it's that they know exactly how to create a fun challenge to the player, and are more than capable of evening the playing field so the main character doesn't feel too overpowered. And I don't know if people realize it yet, but this is a much more action heavy game than your typical third person shooter. There was one video preview I saw which described it almost like a brawler, and I definitely get what they mean with how crazy I imagine combat can get, with the player constantly being forced out of cover in the fashion that seems to be a major element of this game. You can take cover, but it doesn't appear like you'll be safe there for very long if at all, especially once more advanced enemies get involved, and that's a good thing.

Jay Sosa

Looks just like any other of the 3 million cover shooter we already have.

Yep, people are underestimating just what kind of gameplay this game is capable of once all the different elements come together.

I wish I'd have that kind of optimism. I fully expect this to be yet another generic TPS.

0racle

I appreciate peoples excitement as well as mine but my expectations are in check. Im excited just because of the time pausing gimmic since they will do a good job with it.

I am fully expecting a short generic but beautiful shooter behind the makeup.

Theorry

Every person who uses "cover shooter" i cant take serious right away. Because then you clearly didnt read any preview.

I wish I'd have that kind of optimism. I fully expect this to be yet another generic TPS.

If you think so then you haven't been paying attention. This is anything but another generic third person shooter. You're better off saying that what is shown doesn't interest you in any shape or form, but it definitely has plenty enough elements to separate it from most third person shooters.

TheKeyPit

Banned
That is such an insult to Remedy that they should think about legal actions. Unless if you expect QB to have a horribly written story, mediocre (at best) voice acting, "jokes" that wouldn't make a 3 yr old laugh and a huge boring playground to run around in and a gameplay mechanic (movement) that gets stale in 4-5 hrs. So lets hope that Remedy will fair better.

Although I also always defend Alan Wake, so I understand that some people enjoy Sunset. Some people also enjoyed The Order, doesn't mean it's a good game. Always thought that the excellent atmosphere in Alan Wake made up for the other shortcomings in the game. Still QB doesn't interest me at all. Hopefully I will be proven wrong and the game does well. Remedy deserves some success.

Shhh, what I was getting to was that so far there really isn't a game like Quantum Break.

eXistor

Still not feeling this game, it looked incredibly bland to me from the start and no new footage has managed to shake that feeling. I'm sure it'll be a technical marvel, but it just doesn't look like fun to me.

Bgamer90

Banned

Time control adds a puzzle element to the game that definitely isn't seen in many current shooters.

derFeef

Kyle, can you guys make sure the Windows Store version won't have restrictions in terms of fullscreen/windows, injectors and stuff like that? Seems like a lot of people have concerns regarding that, especially with the problems the Store version of Tomb Raider had.

Mivey

For how much do you think the windows live copies will go for?
How often do you drop by in Ukraine? Since you can basically pretend to live in any region by changing a few settings and restarting your PC, you can buy even full price games for peanuts, basically.

iBlue

How often do you drop by in Ukraine? Since you can basically pretend to live in any region by changing a few settings and restarting your PC, you can buy even full price games for peanuts, basically.

Just saying cus I am planning to sell my WL copy of th game.

Mivey

Just saying cus I am planning to sell my WL copy of th game.
I guess once the offical Windows Store (not live) prices are up, whatever the cheapest region price is will effectively be a ceiling for key prices. Not like anyone would buy it if you could get it for cheaper from the official thing. For Rise of the Tomb Raider it's currently 266,00₴ which is about 10 dollars, rounded down.

derFeef

You think they tie the code you receive to your account? Why have a code in the first place then?

I can only imagine. There are some cases where you are eligable for things like preview programs, but still need to claim a code.

You don't even need to do that. Just change the region in control panel, hit Ok and reload the store, boom!

Best thing about the game so far: No season pass and no stupid pre-order stuff.

The pre-order stuff of a bunch of free games is awesome. I wouldn't say no to a season pass if they had some DLC in mind, given the quality of Alan Wake's DLC

You don't even need to do that. Just change the region in control panel, hit Ok and reload the store, boom!

The pre-order stuff of a bunch of free games is awesome. I wouldn't say no to a season pass if they had some DLC in mind, given the quality of Alan Wake's DLC

You mean American Nightmare? God no, that was one of the cheapest attempts of padding the game experience. I finished it last week feeling really stupid afterwards.

Novak

?

What is this about ?

Not that the guy's irrational hatred for MS is not crystal clear of course.

I think he is refering to reboot.hr (ex. gameplay.hr) forum...
Judging by the avatar it could be that Conduit is Emilijo ...one of the worst fanboys over there....

Sorry if this was asked....but will there be "horde" type of minigame like in the AW: American Nightmare?
I love that game...especially the church map.

You mean American Nightmare? God no, that was one of the cheapest attempts of padding the game experience. I finished it last week feeling really stupid afterwards.

The Signal and The Writer. American Nightmare was not DLC, it was a standalone XBLA release, although I enjoyed that a lot too

derFeef

Wut, AWAN was great!
And I think Steve is speaking about the DLC - which is really great, especially The Writer.

Is it just me or does the game look really dull?

I've been hopeful but skeptical throughout its development and delays etc.

And I kind of agree. Maybe it's the type of game you need to play hands-on to get a better impression, but I'm certainly not as high on the gameplay in particular as some of these previews.

Still looks beautiful, and the acting is going to be darn good. It's just the gameplay and feel that I'm wondering about..

TheKeyPit

Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alan Wake didn't have a season pass, right? When the DLC released, buyers of the Collectors Edition got them for free. Everyone else could buy them for the regular price.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Alan Wake didn't have a season pass, right? When the DLC released, buyers of the Collectors Edition got them for free. Everyone else could buy them for the regular price.

They didn't have one for AW no, I think it was day one buyers in general that got the first episode free? Both were worth the cost though, good quality content

What the hell are you doing in a thread about it then, just purposely shit posting about it....I never understand this.

If a game doesn't interest you, stay out of the thread.

The purpose of a discussion board is to discuss things not simply drool mindlessly over your favorite thing. Someone saying they are not interested in a particular game isnt shit posting.
If you cant handle it, stay out of the thread.

We probably won't get any new info or videos until release now, barring the launch trailer, right?

If any devs are looking in, will you be at the Xbox press event this month?

Theorry

We probably won't get any new info or videos until release now, barring the launch trailer, right?

If any devs are looking in, will you be at the Xbox press event this month?

"- Open house format from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Stay and play all day, or drop in/out as your schedule allows
- Phil Spencer will open the event with a welcome address – please arrive promptly
- Hands-on with new content from Quantum Break, Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10, Minecraft, Killer Instinct: Season 3, Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition, Below, Pit People, Dark Souls III, Tom Clancy’s The Division and more
- Developer talks and platform experiences offered every 30 minutes
- Developers and Microsoft Studios spokespeople available for interview
- Direct gameplay capture permitted for several experiences; recording equipment provided
- Video assets and art provided
"

To be honest, the time/slow motion stuff make this seem pretty bland. I've never been a fan of slow motion abilities and such and they just look they are going to get in the way of the meat of the gameplay here, the shooting. If you can play without relying on them too much I may pick it up. If they are a necessity than I will probably pass.

"- Open house format from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Stay and play all day, or drop in/out as your schedule allows
- Phil Spencer will open the event with a welcome address – please arrive promptly
- Hands-on with new content from Quantum Break, Forza Motorsport 6, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition for Windows 10, Minecraft, Killer Instinct: Season 3, Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition, Below, Pit People, Dark Souls III, Tom Clancy’s The Division and more
- Developer talks and platform experiences offered every 30 minutes
- Developers and Microsoft Studios spokespeople available for interview
- Direct gameplay capture permitted for several experiences; recording equipment provided
- Video assets and art provided
"

Yay! My media blackout has failed, miserably. I need moar :)

LostDonkey

The purpose of a discussion board is to discuss things not simply drool mindlessly over your favorite thing. Someone saying they are not interested in a particular game isnt shit posting.
If you cant handle it, stay out of the thread.

I think you need to read his post again.

He's insinuating that it's a given the game is going to be garbage because Remedy.

That, is shitposting about a game he's apparently not interested in anyway.

Jesus.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Well okay comparing it to Gears was a little unfair. And the game definitely won't be bad. I agree it looks like you'll be forced to move, but there's a lack of vertical movement in all these videos, I don't think the character can jump or climb. I'm not saying it should be just like Uncharted, but I feel like Uncharted's addition of jumping, climbing, swinging etc to the basic TPS formula is genuinely brilliant. The time mechanics of QB have been done before, several times.

I dont think QB needs verticality like Uncharted. It can be its own thing. However all I hope is there is more encounter variety ( similar to Uncharted 2 ) than MP1,2 and Alan Wake. As long as there is enough variety unilke their previous games then we have a masterpiece in our hands. Their core gunplay will be fantastic.

Come on now. Also we do not have 3 million tps cover shooters right now. The genre is underrepresented this gen.

Xbox On: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyxz7SWFPWs&t=4m10s

"The dialogue of the enemies changes when they're fighting you across the game. They actually react to you and your progress. So, at the start of the game they don't know who you are. But by the end, they react in a quite crazy way. So essentially they have a journey themselves as well, which is pretty exciting."

That's pretty awesome. Reminds me of Spec Ops The Line but with the enemies in this game than the protagonist in that game's case.

Jumeira

Banned
Character animation is the one thing that will undoubtedly be better in UC4 based on previous footage of both. Drake has 3 hours of core animation. Which doesn't count things like set pieces. That's fucking ridiculous. I'd debate that the facial and character animation of QB is better in cutscenes tho, the characters are borderline digital doubles.

I'd say gunplay will be incredible once it's out. Remedy are the masters at this, while Alan Wake lacked variety the gunplay and sandbox offered were some of the best. It's the opposite for UC games, which I felt is fun until you start shooting.

Estocolmo

Couldn't find a better Quantum Break thread to post this gif, but this should do it.

R6MOoY.gif

Hopefully someone makes an official QB thread!

BluWacky

while Alan Wake lacked variety the gunplay and sandbox offered were some of the best. It's the opposite for UC games, which I felt is fun until you start shooting.

This isn't how I remember Alan Wake at all, strangely - I mostly remember running like a lunatic through the woods and hoping I had enough ammo to shoot the seemingly endless waves of baddies, while hoping the gunplay sections would be over so I could get on with the plot.

I wasn't a huge fan, though, and I was really bad at it, so...

To be honest, the time/slow motion stuff make this seem pretty bland. I've never been a fan of slow motion abilities and such and they just look they are going to get in the way of the meat of the gameplay here, the shooting. If you can play without relying on them too much I may pick it up. If they are a necessity than I will probably pass.
That would make them a gimmick, then. And so entirely pointless. So why even bother having them in the game if they're not tied into the gameplay flow and combat encounters. There are already many shooters with gimmick powers that can be played as just straight shooters because the extra mechanics don't add that much and seems like a missed opportunity to end up with wasted resources. If you're going to make a game with a toolset of mechanics, probably best to design the game where you're compelled to use nearly all of them.

Top Bottom