• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Scam Citizen update blames backers for their 'continued noise' about delays 'distracting' the team

smh.

I didn't pay a dim for Star Citizen and agree with most that this some scam type thing where they have no real plans or cares to release it anytime soon as they are getting paid regardless simply to exist at this point, but I draw the line at attacking consumers, users ,gamers etc

And, admit what? To those who like this game, they are getting something from it as they still put out patches, updates, add ships, different modes etc. If someone like that, what the fuck would they be admitting if that is indeed what they like? Just stop man, everyone doesn't need to like the same shit, but stop this immature narrative that someone must "admit" or "confess" or some shit that something is bad as if that is a fact or objective thing.

If they got something from this, they weren't really scammed, even if I believe it was a scam. As in, the developers have no real plans to release the game and are scamming people to get money, but stuff is indeed being put out, someone may have got those ships, modes etc and enjoy what they got, thus not scammed. For what it is, they like it so its hard to say someone is scammed that feels they got what they paid for or is just playing the free stuff and having fun.

Scammed imho would be those who paid money WITH the intent of believing this will actually release as a final thing, as in they are paying to get something that may never release. I'm not defending the actions of this team btw as that seems to be the popular neckbeard thing to say when ever people call out this weird rage, foaming at the mouth shit, I'm saying you can agree that the team is scamming, without attacking users on here or calling them idiots or suckers or asking them to "admit" to something you believe that they may not. None of that is necessary and some of the most toxic shit in gaming.
I’m willing to bet most people that backed the game expected a final product and now they’re just defending it by saying they got some enjoyment out of it.

Me personally I get nothing out of anyone admitting anything but I think it would be healthy for them to admit they got scammed is all.

I mean if you didn’t pay for anything there’s nothing wrong with enjoying it i’m just saying for the people that did…

Last edited:

EDMIX

I’m willing to bet most people
But the person you are replying to on that post is a specific person, that you can't be deem "most people" as if you fucking know 100% of those who bought anything from this game.
now they’re just defending it by saying they got some enjoyment out of it.
Even for arguments sake if most people expected a final game, that doesn't mean they didn't get enjoyment from what they got and are just "defending it" for lolz.

I'm sorry but I don't believe in the bullshit notion that someone is spending 50 or 1000 hours "pretend" or "acting" as if something is fucking fun, something clearly is going on that is engaging enough for them to return. They are defending that they enjoy the game.

That doesn't fucking mean they support the company lying or scamming or that even they themselves got scammed which brings me to my next point...
it would be healthy for them to admit they got scammed is all.
Who the fuck is them? lol If someone got their money's worth, that isn't a scam to them, they have nothing to fucking "admit" to.

I mean if you didn’t pay for anything there’s nothing wrong with enjoying it i’m just saying for the people that did…

Nah bud, there's nothing wrong with people enjoying it PERIOD! They don't need to "admit" shit to you as several people on here literally stated how many hours they got in the game and how much they enjoyed it free and paid mind you. So i don't know what to say other then you need to stop attacking people on here for buying or enjoying a video game.

We can debate so much on how this game was developed, if it was a scam from the very start, where it goes from here etc so much, but attacking, demeaning, harassing and trying to condemn people for enjoying a video game or paying for a video game is where I draw the line. No one needs to "admit" anything to you regarding this on something that is subjective.

Thats like saying for someone to "admit" that Mario is bad and they are just "defending it by saying they got some enjoyment out of it".

I say this as someone that hasn't spent a single dollar on this game and believe 100% this team is scamming people, that doesn't mean someone needs to admit they've been scammed themselves as if they feel 400 hours for 45 bucks is a good deal, who the fuck am I to tell them THEY'VE been scammed just cause I believe the company is a scam itself?

Big difference.

The dog walkers of gaming.
captain-america-i-understood-that-reference.gif

😂

But the person you are replying to on that post is a specific person, that you can't be deem "most people" as if you fucking know 100% of those who bought anything from this game.

Even for arguments sake if most people expected a final game, that doesn't mean they didn't get enjoyment from what they got and are just "defending it" for lolz.

I'm sorry but I don't believe in the bullshit notion that someone is spending 50 or 1000 hours "pretend" or "acting" as if something is fucking fun, something clearly is going on that is engaging enough for them to return. They are defending that they enjoy the game.

That doesn't fucking mean they support the company lying or scamming or that even they themselves got scammed which brings me to my next point...

Who the fuck is them? lol If someone got their money's worth, that isn't a scam to them, they have nothing to fucking "admit" to.

Nah bud, there's nothing wrong with people enjoying it PERIOD! They don't need to "admit" shit to you as several people on here literally stated how many hours they got in the game and how much they enjoyed it free and paid mind you. So i don't know what to say other then you need to stop attacking people on here for buying or enjoying a video game.

We can debate so much on how this game was developed, if it was a scam from the very start, where it goes from here etc so much, but attacking, demeaning, harassing and trying to condemn people for enjoying a video game or paying for a video game is where I draw the line. No one needs to "admit" anything to you regarding this on something that is subjective.

Thats like saying for someone to "admit" that Mario is bad and they are just "defending it by saying they got some enjoyment out of it".

I say this as someone that hasn't spent a single dollar on this game and believe 100% this team is scamming people, that doesn't mean someone needs to admit they've been scammed themselves as if they feel 400 hours for 45 bucks is a good deal, who the fuck am I to tell them THEY'VE been scammed just cause I believe the company is a scam itself?

Big difference.
You are insane dude, full stop.

I will call them (anyone who spent money and defends the game) idiots and you’ll just have to deal with it.

Likewise, I can deal with anything anyone wants to throw back at me.

ethomaz

Banned

I will call them (anyone who spent money and defends the game) idiots and you’ll just have to deal with it.

Likewise, I can deal with anything anyone wants to throw back at me.
I don’t think anybody that paid for it to be idiot or anything else… it just they were used.

It is a typical case of scam… the guys create hype and promised, convince you to give them money, and continue making promises and escuses to keep you buying virtual photos of something you will receive in the future.

People are easily used.

Last edited:
I don’t think anybody that paid for it to be idiot or anything else… it just they were used.

It is a typical case of scam… the guys create hype and promised, convince you to give them money, and continue making promises and escuses to keep you buying virtual photos of something you will receive in the futuro.

People are easily used.
Backing it doesn’t mean you’re an idiot necessarily but defense of it after what we now know is a different story. Damn, i’ve made some really dumb ass decisions and I can admit to them.

EDMIX

I'm not the one attacking people on here for having different opinions.

I will call them (anyone who spent money and defends the game) idiots

Yet I'm insane? They are free to spend money on what they like, they are free to spend their time how they feel just. I'd hardly see that as some reason to name call, attack etc.

I can deal with anything anyone wants to throw back at me.

smh, yea thats the thing..you see it as a mud flinging contest of throwing insults and attacking as some "tit for tat" type thing.

I don't see someone buying a fucking game, enjoying it as fighting words or something to get triggered over to the point of insults and personal attacks. I'm 99% sure you can have a discussion about topic without doing any of that btw. I've yet to see a single person on here that has even stated NOT spending money or NOT playing Star Citizen makes you a "sucker" or "idiot".

Keep in mind, I don't even know if they are defending the practice of this as in they are saying its ok to lie and take money with no intent to really put out a final game, from what I hear them saying, they are defending enjoying it, paying for those ships to use etc. You can defend your time with a game and still feel the team is wrong to lie to people about that so called release date.

It is a typical case of scam… the guys create hype and promised, convince you to give them money, and continue making promises and escuses to keep you buying virtual photos of something you will receive in the futuro.

People are easily used.

Agreed, but I think it depends on a lot.

If someone paid and got 1000 hours or even 30 hours and they feel they got enough out of it, they may not feel they've been used, even if we feel the company is seeking to use people.

So if their end goal was to just play some of those modes, fly around and do those missions and they got their moneys worth or something, I can't really say they feel used if they are done with it anyway.

Think about the last time you bought a game and didn't finish it or bought a game and didn't buy the extra DLC or something like that, most wouldn't really see that as being "used" as you decided to stop playing, move on, or the base game was enough for you or something like that.

So its hard to say with this some bought those ships and invested with this idea it would be out in a few years, some bought the ships and only spent like $40 bucks or so and got 1000 plus hours and get their fill and feel it was worth what they spent.

Those that paid solely based on thinking the game would be out in 6 years or so, scammed.
Those that paid, played 1000 hours and enjoyed what they got and moved on, not scammed.

So this is one of those things where both can apply imho. I can't tell someone how they should or shouldn't feel about a game they paid for and the time they spent. If they tell me they love the 1000 hours they got and they don't feel they got scammed, I don't see what I can even say to combat that when its their time and their money lol Scam in this situation is more so based on that teams intent to not really put this game out like they stated, it can't really be used to address the actual content that exist right now that people can play, enjoy and support with money how they feel just. Something is being given based on paying in that respect, thus I can't really see a scam in that exact situation as much as I can see one with the notion of the game being complete, coming out soon, being finished etc.

Last edited:

Doczu

Mqybe i can make it clear for the SC defenders.
You got promised a Ferrari, but after ten years you got a rusty Civic but you are ok with, cause you made hundres or thousand of miles and you keep on waiting, cause now you are promised a Bugatti thanks to all the stuff they are adding and changing.

Interesting. Out of a combination of boredom and some curiosity, I took a quick and dirty look at the YouTube comments for the video the OP posted. They seem very favorable and encouraging of the roadmap situation (with a handful of "defense force" apologetic comments thrown in there, but those are in the minority).

The complete opposite of what's going on in this thread.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, I expected the comments to be shitting all over Star Citizen but was surprised at what I saw...

Honey Bunny

Interesting. Out of a combination of boredom and some curiosity, I took a quick and dirty look at the YouTube comments for the video the OP posted. They seem very favorable and encouraging of the roadmap situation (with a handful of "defense force" apologetic comments thrown in there, but those are in the minority).

The complete opposite of what's going on in this thread.

I'm not saying that's good or bad, I expected the comments to be shitting all over Star Citizen but was surprised at what I saw...
That roadmap video is from the past. They introduced the roadmap to be more transparent and give themselves public deadlines we could hold them more accountable to. This new news is them taking much of that transparency away and deflecting blame on others.

Last edited:
I agree that you can play Star Citizen. I even accept that some people apparently have fun.

But I have somewhat followed this whole shitshow for 10 years (courtesy of being old) and it's NOTHING like what they promised and what backers envisioned. That is fact.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Blaming fans for your own poor performance never ends well.

These aren't their fans. They're complaining about people complaining in their forums, and AFAIK only the backers get to participate.

This isn't how they're treating their fans. This is how they're treating their investors, the people who put their hard-earned money on the project.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

This cannot be a scam, they have employees.

Elizabeth Holmes had employees
Enron had employees
Bernie Madoff had employees

...even fucking Al Capone had employees

(but in todays money, they´d all laugh at your puny 400 million $)

DavJay

Many people that funded this died before even getting a release date. My child was 4 when I funded this and now he is in high school. Scam or not, backers should feel like that got bamboozoed

It's like the gaming development version of Stockholm Syndrome. All I wanted was another Wing Commander, it is crazy that Squadron 42 still doesn't even see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I’m willing to bet most people that backed the game expected a final product and now they’re just defending it by saying they got some enjoyment out of it.

Me personally I get nothing out of anyone admitting anything but I think it would be healthy for them to admit they got scammed is all.

People enjoy it for years, not since covid or something…..

Explosion Reaction GIF

Literally, after 10 years… we just don’t like to be held responsible for our own promises and actions. Please move along.

Inviusx

I expected a shit show on reddit but it's still just people being upvoted for the millionth ship screenshot this month.

Is it not that big of a deal? Or is the reddit hugbox just insanely moderated?

Spacefish

I backed this shit day 1, I was ambivalent on it taking forever but once you start making shitty excuses, blaming your fans and funders and hiding missed deadlines I'm going to assume it's a complete train wreck that's evolving into a coverup scam.

I paid $40 about a year ago and definitely dont feel scammed, who gives a shit how long it takes as long as they keep making real progress. Game is going to have legs for years because of this, nobody would be playing it rn if it released 10 years ago. So many garbage games come out in beta/preview and stay that way for years.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I expected a shit show on reddit but it's still just people being upvoted for the millionth ship screenshot this month.

Is it not that big of a deal? Or is the reddit hugbox just insanely moderated?
/r SC and spectrum have some seriously heavy moderation/censorship. Anything that doesn't fit their projected narrative gets quickly nullified. You read any comments anywhere else and the game is a laughing stock. Take the new Ars Technica article and the comments for example: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022...-back-roadmap-to-avoid-timeline-distractions/

There is one comment in there from a former developer who worked under Shroud of the Avatar, citing some very inside illumination to the whole ordeal. It's a great read if you can dig it out. It is page 7, second from the bottom. Richard Garriott and Christ Roberts have worked together and use the same playbook in many ways. I think this is what will happen to SC.

Tefl0n

Waiting for someone to start a GoFund Me for Star Citizen backers, only to disappear after it hits 7 Million

Majukun

This cannot be a scam, they have employees.

Elizabeth Holmes had employees
Enron had employees
Bernie Madoff had employees

...even fucking Al Capone had employees

(but in todays money, they´d all laugh at your puny 400 million $)
it's not strictly a scam because the game is still in active development

this is basically what would have happened id duke nukem forever had a publisher that backed up every single choice of the dev team and didn't care about money.

this being said, much like any publisher would have pulled away from the project at least 5 years ago, the supporters should ask themselves if it's still worth it to put money into the project

iHaunter

I agree that you can play Star Citizen. I even accept that some people apparently have fun.

But I have somewhat followed this whole shitshow for 10 years (courtesy of being old) and it's NOTHING like what they promised and what backers envisioned. That is fact.
Some parts are though? Other than server meshing, it's pretty much exactly what was promised, well aside from the amount of planets. That's a big mistake.

TheMan

The sad part is, if they could just buckle down, stop adding features and just finish what they've started, they could have the greatest space exploration game of all time. As it stands, it's clear that they will just continue this path until the backer well runs dry and then shrug and dump the game.

Top Bottom