• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Scam Citizen update blames backers for their 'continued noise' about delays 'distracting' the team

Haggard

Banned
Scam vs miss-managed. Their financial information is literally publicy available. They have 700+ employees. if think this is a "Scam" you're a fucking idiot. There's no other words I can use. They go through the money they're using. It's all public info.
Educate yourself about industry level scams....
If you think this can`t be a scam just because they are publishing numbers you`re the "fucking idiot" here....

ParaSeoul

Pathetic.
JsS6k_90_400x400.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If you think this can`t be a scam just because they are publishing numbers you`re the "fucking idiot" here....
Agreed.

Enron and Berne Madoff are scams and they involved billions and public knowledge and shitloads of employees. Everyone should take a skim of Bre-X (shady gold mining company from the 90s). Wow.

Some people think scammers can only be back alley guys selling stuff out of their trunk.

night13x

Imagine...these certain backers who blindly gave their heart and soul to these scammers, white knighting them above all else. Imagine being told that the backers are the problem now. LOL

iHaunter

By UK law, all financials are tracked in tax filings.

You can literally see where all the money goes. Choose to remain ignorant if you want, doesn't affect me. All I spent was $45 on basic game package and have had 1k+ hours in it over the years. I got my money's worth already. Peace.

Aure

Banned
Well that's a shame, really. I tried that game for free durinmg those free weekends a while back and it's quite incredible, but no way in hell i'm backing that until its done.
I've learned my lesson in time when i refunded my pledge in the OUYA kickstarter page. The moment they delayed that console, i knew it was a dumpsterfire.
Fool me once, you know how it goes...

Notabueno

Banned
Scam Citizen is fascinating. Anyone who's ever managed a digital or virtual product knows that SC was a false promise from the beginning for the simple reason that they had no vision, conception and plan for making a game that is at least a third of what they promised.

You could tell it's a scam, the biggest (and maybe illegal or to be regulated) aspect of it is when they started selling literal ship concept with no ship...this is the definition of a scam in many industries and is illegal in many aspect to avoid this.

Majukun

I get that people are upset but do they really think bitching and complaining is going to solve anything? Screaming at the devs doesn’t make them code faster. That’s just not how it works.
true, but paying customers have the right to complain just as they have it to hype stuff on the internet and be walking advertisements when things go great

you gotta have both

TVexperto

fuck CIG and fuck the white knights that keep defending this scam. they always put stuff on the roadmap before sales and remove all gameplay loops after sales...we still only have MINING. 10 years in the game... chris roberts is MIA

Reizo Ryuu

So how much longer until it reaches the tipping point of more angry customers vs deluded shills? Another decade?

Outlier

VERY stupid to bite the hand that feeds!

Let's hope the backers aren't the Stockholm Syndrome types and show them who's financing them.

Last edited:

Pejo

Mhhmm, mhhmm. Ok, I'll buy it.

I'm going to tell this to my boss word for word about my future project updates and see how it goes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant wait for the next update.

Our employees are so bummed out, we are abandoning game development. But we appreciate the support you given us the past 10 years.

Signing off. Bye.

As I said in another SC thread, I don't know how anyone can not call the Squadron 42 part of this thing a scam. I contributed to the initial kickstarter specifically for Squadron 42 and I 100% feel like I was scammed.

The open world aspect of this has always produced enough content, enough something to just skirt the line of not being a complete scam IMO. People want to keep supporting that shit, whatever.

This though, really kind of removes even the pretense of this being legit now.

Last edited:

pqueue

Scam vs miss-managed. Their financial information is literally publicy available. They have 700+ employees. if think this is a "Scam" you're a fucking idiot. There's no other words I can use. They go through the money they're using. It's all public info.

nothing complete has been delivered in a decade.
no item that was initially promised has been delivered in a complete state.

that is the very definition of a scam.

Dr.Morris79

You can literally see where all the money goes. Choose to remain ignorant if you want, doesn't affect me. All I spent was $45 on basic game package and have had 1k+ hours in it over the years. I got my money's worth already. Peace.
1k+ hours? You must've finished the game fifty times over..

I take it there was an ending? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

eNT1TY

Well at least by the time SC proper comes out there will be several new semiconductor fabrication facilities here in the states and possibly new legislation and sweetheart incentives accommodating them via lobbyist money that GPU prices should normalize and we can all get an RTX 6070 ti for $500 to play the game or play the console version on an Apple Playstation via Gamepass.

pqueue

But what you have NOT got, with either your $45 or 100 alleged hours, is a complete product as promised.

Can't say I'm even surprised at this point. NeoShortSided forums.

Oh f*ck right off!

Over 400 outright lies, and they complain about their supporters holding them accountable to what they say?

5pJHb60.png

Systematically breaking your own promises and failing to respect your own frikkin' roadmap only to blame it on your community is the pinnacle of arrogance. If their fans wouldn't keep pumping money into their projects, they would have closed shop a long time ago. That is how dire they financial situation is. Having a massive administrative overhead with very little to show for is either braindead management or an outright scam, either way they deserve all the scrutiny they get.

The only shortsighted person in this thread are the blind fanboys triggered by some much needed criticism.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Stop having fun in 1k+ hours for $45 and buy some cinematic 30fps 8 hours games for $70. SCAM!!! /s

Barakov

CIG is taking the ball and going home. Tough.

Where could these 'roadmap watchers' have got the idea that dates on the roadmap would be at least vaguely accurate?

Wait a second...

surprise sunbathing GIF

ZehDon

I think the OP forgot the cringe tag.

The "Scam Citizen" moniker that neckbeards are desperately trying to make happen has all the hallmarks of the "Sean Murray lied! Never forgive! Never forget!" bullshit that is still being pushed. Half the people screaming into the void have never spent a dime on Star Citizen. Me? I'll wait for the reviews.

RPSleon

My life has changed significantly in every way since this project started.

Ive loved, lost touch and said goodbye to people. Ive had and lost pets. Ive moved house several times. Ive been in adult education and different jobs. Ive been in several bands. Ive gained my driving licence and owned several cars. Memories have been made and forgotten, The world around me has changed.

The words "Star Citizen" are almost nostalgic now.

I played some last night for the first time in a while and had a really great time. There’s nothing quite like it right now. Everyone keeps calling it a scam - OK I guesss, but it’s a really enjoyable one!
It's better than most console games in its current state and will only get better in the future. That's probably why there's so many haters.

Top Bottom