• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"New School RPG" by former Shin Megami Tensei development and music staff to be announced on June 10, involved creators include S, I, M, and N

Shin-Gakuen-RPG-Text_06-02-21.jpg
Monark_06-02-21.jpg

A “New School RPG” involving former Shin Megami Tensei and Megami Tensei development and music staff will be announced on June 10, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu teases.

The magazine only refers to the creators involved as S, I, M, and N. The publisher, developer, and platforms were not announced.
The teaser website and official Twitter and LINE accounts for Monark, the “new school RPG” from former Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei teased for a June 10 announcement in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu, has been opened.

The website features a number of names, most of which are illegible. The only four that can be made out are as follows:
  • Kazunari Suzuki
  • Ryotaro Ito (likely a typo for Ryutaro Ito)
  • Tsukasa Masuko
  • Aya Nishitani
All four developers have previously worked on the Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei games.

The website also includes the Japanese phone number 050-3204-4961. If you call the number, you will hear some struggling and a scream, followed by a man saying something like, “Finally. I’ve been waiting for you, my foolish, silly, precious child.”

The source code of the website contains the text: “Four choices. Four fates. The choice is your ego’s to make. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.” The common name of the domain seems to be cs.furyu.jp (thanks, @Renka_schedule), suggesting it is a FuRyu title.

The publisher, developer, and platforms for Monark have yet to be officially announced.

Obviously this isn't Project Re Fantasy but I'm hoping we get an update on that game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Mobile is also definitely an option Japan has been ruined by that shit.

I need some fucking committee (Japan love dat shit) made by Nintendo and Sony in Japan that requires those publishers to port their games over to console in a reasonable time frame lol

TCPEMAUTF

Be like The Console Preservation Effort Mobile Alliance Unit Task Force....SUPER XTEREM!

EDMIX

its been decade when Atlus first announce Project Re Fantasy and other than few concept art we got...
27401637.gif

We got three SMT5 trailers but no gameplay at all....

Atlus!!!
giphy.gif

Ohhhhhh yea, I completely forgot about that game. So it likely went from PS4 to PS4/PS5.......to PS5 lol

Who knows whats going on. Maybe Sega is truly giving them the time and freedom to create without pressure, but Sega is also a very, very solid publisher. They have solid time frames and we rarely see too much of what they do go to nothing. So what ever it is, Sega seems to be ok with it continuing development.

Maybe Sega want a slice of some of that Final Fantasy Pie

Last edited:

EDMIX

So? only popular games are allowed to be made? Niche games what makes gaming industry interesting.
Agreed and I'd argue, we saw so little of it, we can't say for sure what the fuck it'd be when it comes out.

A teaser could look niche, a real reveal and release could show it to be a grand AAA title with Segas full support. We don't really know right now to say either. I agree overall though that its irrelevant how others might view it.

Is it fun? That should be the only focus by consumers. Some AAA games are great, some AA games are great, I only want this game to be great no matter where it falls

its been decade when Atlus first announce Project Re Fantasy and other than few concept art we got...

We got three SMT5 trailers but no gameplay at all....

Atlus!!!
It's been almost 5 years, not ten, but that is still a long time. I'm kind of expecting when we do see it again that it will be a big re-reveal. It will look amazing of course but I wonder about the battles and exploration too.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Apparently its called "Monark". Countdown to June 10th.

lachesis

also more detailed article can be found

CNkGNmP.jpg

• Kazunari Suzuki (Shin Megami Tensei writer)
  • Aya Nishitani (Digital Devil Story and SMT series writer)
  • Tsukasa Masuko (SMT and Devil Summoner composer)
  • Ryotaro Ito (Digital Devil Story and SMT series writer)

And the title says "Shin Gakuen RPG" meaning "New School RPG". So perhaps something like Persona series?
Not sure if this is Atlus related - as they are not with Atlus anymore... but definitely something to look forward to.

The phone #, apparently has some voice recording. (TBH, sounds like Igor from Persona) - and the official reveal in June 10.

As a JRPG fan, I'm very much curious of what this would be! (Just hoping it's not a mobile game.. :()

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As SMT/Persona fan I'm definitely keeping my eye on this but lets hope it doesn't take years to see gameplay from it.

lachesis

They seem to have the voice actors list already - so maybe it's much further into development? (crossing fingers)

lachesis

I am definitely crossing my fingers for you, as you've been waiting for sooooooo long for SMTV... Atlus, E3! damn it! :)

I really need to play SMT series though. As an old geezer, my only experience was the original Megami Tensei conversion on 8bit MSX in 80s ... and TBH, I don't remember a thing about it anymore! :D

lachesis

The page's source contains this:
-----------------------------------------------------------
4つの選択。4つの運命。選択は、あなたのエゴに委ねられる。
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Oooh - does sound like my old high school life in Asia. (Abandon all hope / emo purgatory thing...)
or I'm using 4 sided pencil for rolling during a final test exam... as I had no ego on some of those Qs.

Hope it means 4 playerable characters? or 4 branches of separate storylines etc.

lachesis

Can "new school RPG" means "new way to make a RPG" instead of a literal school?

It says "Shin Gakuen RPG" - literally means "New (shin) School Campus (gakuen) RPG" - so I think it is really about RPG about school life.
School of thoughts - is Gakuha. (ha being the "faction") - but in this case, if they wanted to say a new way - they probably used the world "style" instead.

I do hope it's not just run-off-the-mill type of emo filled cringe high school drama... but more of new way of storytelling and all....
Will see. It does sound very depressing though. Probably it's post-apocalyptic high school. That phone number voice recording was somewhat creepy - so maybe somewhat horror-esque story is my bet.

Last edited:

Fbh

Generic anime higschool setting is disappointing.

But aside from that it looks interesting. Also releasing in Japan in October of this year which is sooner than I expected, so hopefully it gets localized at some point next year.

Saber

Gold Member
Me too, these days craving for SRPG, even more than turn based RPG.

This why I'm also super hyped for this game.
Kadokawa-Games-Reveals-New-Relayer-Simulation-RPG.jpg

Yeah, I'm kinda thirsty in that departament.

Is that the strategic mecha RPG someone make thread not long ago? Is hard to keep remembering the name of all those games.

lachesis

Looks pretty standard fare PS3/4 JRPG. I do like the illustration - supposedly done by this south korean artist so-bin who did the illustrations for light novel series "Overlord".

Releasing in October sounds great - hope someone would pickup the rights and bring over to the west in timely manner.

Looking forward the teaser video tonight. :D

According to the article/magazine - so story branches depending on who you choose out of 4 buddy choices. I wonder how many branching point each story have - and if the stories would take different routes all together?

I mean it seems to have a lot of common routes (which you can skip, thankfully... and also can change to certain other buddies in those branching point to other buddies in post game) - but I would be rather disappointed, if it's just 1 main storyline, with just different buddies saying few different lines and moving on.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me it kind of gives me SMT and Persona vibe without Kaneko and Soejima art, so I personally digging it....But the enemy design is not as interesting as Demons in SMT but that kind of unfair comparison.

demonstr8

Cautiously optimistic about this. I like the use of the seven sins as a gameplay mechanic and the idea of being a SS to if... But the amine designs are a tad generic and the... demon (?) designs look somewhat indistinguishable from one another. However I like command based games that try to be anything instead of moe.

Top Bottom