• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Seagate 512 GB Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards Leak via U.S. Retail Promos

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Recently, retail listings appeared in France teasing a 512GB Xbox storage expansion card from Seagate, designed for the new-gen consoles. This would undoubtedly be far cheaper than the 1TB option currently available, perhaps even roughly half as expensive, given that it has half of the storage. Thanks to an anonymous tip-off, we recently received, it seems that those storage solutions could be coming in time for the holiday period.

new-seagate-storage-2021.png

It seems Seagate will begin promoting their new 512GB Xbox storage expansion card from as early as next week, as promotional materials have begun showing up in U.S. retailers. In addition to the 512GB expansion card which essentially boosts your internal storage, Seagate is also gearing up to offer a USB-based SSD deep storage solution, which will allow you to store games separately from the internal storage pool. While you won't be able to run new-gen games from this USB-based expansion, moving them from the USB SSD to your internal SSD will be faster than downloading them all over again, potentially.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks like the 512gb leak weeks ago is true.

But for the 1 tb blurb, whats the difference between that and the existing 1 tb Seagate card? It only acts as transfer data only? Maybe it much cheaper than the existing Seagate card that can run games off it like internal.

Kilau

Gold Member
Ugh, they are going the wrong direction in size! I still want some other manufacturer besides seagate.

Looks like the 512gb leak weeks ago is true.

But for the 1 tb blurb, whats the difference between that and the existing 1 tb Seagate card? It only acts as transfer data only? Maybe it much cheaper than the existing Seagate card that can run games off it like internal.
Seems like just a regular external SSD which you can play non Series Xbox games from or use it as storage for those games.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Maybe they are adding this soon as there was some speculation thier exclusive would be up this November, guess we will see. This could be a good sign.....
Plus a smaller add on option is a good thing for some owners.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Ugh, they are going the wrong direction in size! I still want some other manufacturer besides seagate.

Seems like just a regular external SSD which you can play non Series Xbox games from or use it as storage for those games.
A 2tb card would be awesome, but given the costs it would be like $350 US.

I'm hoping the 1tb Seagate card at launch gets a price drop. Doubtful. I can live with 2 tb SSD total.

I had to move Red Dead Redemption 2 over to my external 5TB spinning harddrive to make way for the GP Avengers that just went up.
These game sizes are almost comical in their Hugeness Enormity.

Banned
Needs another manufacturer. MS is dumb if they keep it exclusive.

this could be the first signs that Seagate's exclusive contract is running out IMO. maybe they launch a few low price alternatives ahead of that. I expect we will see other manufacturers releasing expansion cards sometime next year.

I could also see some release adapters that accept M.2 SSDs

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Microsoft should just make an adapter that lets us use a 2230 or 2242 nvme in the existing expansion slot and call it a day. This proprietary model isn't great.
It wouldn’t be bad if they let other companies come out with their own

I think price would be the issue especially given the type of card it uses. But I agree that offering a larger size would be better for many people. Not trying to console war but many have bought 2TB drives for the PS5. I'm sure many would do the same with the Series consoles if given the option.

Needs another manufacturer. MS is dumb if they keep it exclusive.

I'm pretty sure it's a question of when with that. I know Seagates deal is temporary but I have no idea on how long it lasts.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ll probably get one, just don’t have the need for anything larger at this point.

ReBurn

Gold Member
images

VS

images

That was definitely a bad decision on Sonys part. Those Vita memory cards were really expensive compared to the Micro SD cards.
It feels like those Nintendo ones come with a 20% markup just to have the Nintendo name on them. And it's weird people buy them since they just sit inside the system and nobody sees them.

It feels like those Nintendo ones come with a 20% markup just to have the Nintendo name on them. And it's weird people buy them since they just sit inside the system and nobody sees them.

Yeah but thankfully you can buy them without the branding. Not something you could ever do with the Vita if I'm not wrong.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Maybe they are adding this soon as there was some speculation thier exclusive would be up this November, guess we will see. This could be a good sign.....
Plus a smaller add on option is a good thing for some owners.

I know the speculation is that they had a one year exclusivity deal, but the more I think about it, the weirder that is. Who wants exclusivity when the smallest number of consoles is out there. Microsoft hasn't been able to keep up with demand owing to the chip shortage, so Seagate has sold to even fewer people. With the internal drive being WD, they didn't even get to supply at a component level. My guess is that Seagate's 2 (now) memory cards and new SSD external drive will be the only storage options well into 2022, if not beyond.

A 2tb card would be awesome, but given the costs it would be like $350 US.

I'm hoping the 1tb Seagate card at launch gets a price drop. Doubtful. I can live with 2 tb SSD total.

I don't see any indication of a price drop here. The message I get is "can't afford a 1tb card? We can't reduce it so have less storage for less money instead."

On the plus side, if you are on the fence about a 1tb card, I'd say you don't need to worry about regretting it when something cheaper for the same amount of storage or a larger option appears on the market, because it would appear that is not happening soon.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
2TB will come eventually.
It'll be interesting to see if and when it does, I assume it's price would be $/£400 if they put it out now. I don't think there are enough people prepared to pay that much, even on forums like this to warrant bringing it to market.

Arguably, 2tb (total) is the sweet spot, even with the largest games available you must still be looking at 15 games but the reality is that while Call Of Duty and Flight Simulator are giant installs, they're not typical. Mix the file sizes up with some smaller games too and you've got room for a lot of games.

I have the expansion card and a 4tb external drive connected to my Series X and I'm not sure I need the external now.

If they price this right, or reduce the price of the 1tb I’m in - it’s easy enough to manage what I have installed, but would be nice not to have to worry about it at all…

If they price this right, or reduce the price of the 1tb I’m in - it’s easy enough to manage what I have installed, but would be nice not to have to worry about it at all…
Expensive memory is expensive. 512 around $150 USD, 2T if it comes $400 I would bet

Last edited:
Top Bottom