• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony 2022 TVs reveal on January 4 2022

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Which one is better, Mini LED or, QD-OLED or OLED? Do these OLED screens still have the burn in and ghosting issues OLED screens had in the past?

OLED. No, if you use them like an adult.

Congrats StateofMajora StateofMajora they made the X95K.
Yes! But damn it it’s a minimum of 65 inch. Don’t get me wrong this is AMAZING but I like small sizes for highest PPI.

No mini led on x90k… I wonder how many zones that has. If it’s a big upgrade over x90j zone count I may get that.

If it’s still like 24-48 zones I may be forced to get the larger sets. Mini led is huge though! Backlight master drive in a 4k for the first time since Z9D is amazing!!!

Time for an upgrade perhaps! Kuranghi Kuranghi

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yes! But damn it it’s a minimum of 65 inch. Don’t get me wrong this is AMAZING but I like small sizes for highest PPI.

No mini led on x90k… I wonder how many zones that has. If it’s a big upgrade over x90j zone count I may get that.

If it’s still like 24-48 zones I may be forced to get the larger sets. Mini led is huge though! Backlight master drive in a 4k for the first time since Z9D is amazing!!!

Aye heres hoping. I reckon not even 48 zones on X90K, 32 if anything more than X90J. Just because NANO90 and Q80A had around 32 and the Sony looked better than both (In part due to ADS/IPS panel in those ofc but also down to algorithm) so in their eyes there isn't really any reason to go back to XF90 zone counts unfortunately.

kyliethicc

Well in Sony's marketing video the guy says "its not really about how many zones there are" lol ... so I doubt the X90K has more than the X90J has.

I'm surprised but intrigued in their Mini LED TVs tho. X95K could be pretty cool. Gonna be expensive tho. And yeah a shame there's no 55" model.

Aye heres hoping. I reckon not even 48 zones on X90K, 32 if anything more than X90J. Just because NANO90 and Q80A had around 32 and the Sony looked better than both (In part due to ADS/IPS panel in those ofc but also down to algorithm) so in their eyes there isn't really any reason to go back to XF90 zone counts unfortunately.
Let me hope damn it xD

Thinking up upgrading the ol’ Z9D? These new ones *probably* still won’t have as smooth of motion as yours though due to processing (unless they really brought their A game) and response times. Plus you know they’ll have x wide angle, so perhaps worse contrast.

I’m guessing zone count will be around z9d levels on the 4k and they won’t go over 1000. Z9K probably near 2000.

Well in Sony's marketing video the guy says "its not really about how many zones there are" lol ... so I doubt the X90K has more than the X90J has.

I'm surprised but intrigued in their Mini LED TVs tho. X95K could be pretty cool. Gonna be expensive tho. And yeah a shame there's no 55" model.
Well he’s right… to a point! If they put 120 zones in the x90k (samsung q90t level) I would upgrade my x900e if there are no problems with motion. I will remain cautiously optimistic until reviews surface.

In my mind, it makes sense for them to add more zones to the x90 because if they don’t there will be a ridiculously huge gap in zones between the x90 and x95. 90 - 120 zones ; that’s my hope.

We see how terrible something like lg’s qned is at backlight control even though it has around 2000 zones… doesn’t matter when you control those zones poorly and have shitty ips panel but that’s another issue.

Last edited:

Kerotan

That's literally how every TV works every year.
Nah sometimes there's reasonable upgrades. The x90j got hdmi 2.1 and the bravia XR processor.
So these new TVs still using the same Chipset and XR processor from last year, only abit improvements here and there. But then again A95k, wow. Evolution in OLED technology combines with the Best image processor.

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF
Yeah I'm relieved I picked the x90j to upgrade with. Got the 55" for €950 when you factor in the €100 PSN offer and sold my old one for €500. I wouldnt have gained anything by waiting until this year.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Well he’s right… to a point! If they put 96 zones in the x90k (samsung q90t level) I would upgrade my x900e if there are no problems with motion. I will remain cautiously optimistic until reviews surface.

In my mind, it makes sense for them to add more zones to the x90 because if they don’t there will be a ridiculously huge gap in zones between the 90 and 95. 96 zones ; that’s my hope.

We see how terrible something like lg’s qned is at backlight control even though it has around 2000 zones… doesn’t matter when you control those zones poorly and have shitty ips panel but that’s another issue.
Perhaps, but keep in mind a 65" X90K will end up on sale for around $1000. While the 65" X95K will likely be over $2000.

So I'm not sure they care if there's a big gap between them. Their whole 2022 lineup seems focused on clearer segmentation and fewer models. (Which I think is better.)

Nah sometimes there's reasonable upgrades. The x90j got hdmi 2.1 and the bravia XR processor.
X90H has HDMI 2.1.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but keep in mind a 65" X90K will end up on sale for around $1000. While the 65" X95K will likely be over $2000.

So I'm not sure they care if there's a big gap between them. Their whole 2022 lineup seems focused on clearer segmentation and fewer models. (Which I think is better.)

X90H has HDMI 2.1.
Hmm I didn’t see any less models this year compared to last, in fact there’s more (a95k)

Yes if the price gap is large between x90 and x95 it will still make sense but dang man not everyone wants such a huge tv. I will remain hopeful and decide when the time is right.

I probably wouldn’t ever buy a 65 inch for a game room and everything would look way less crisp due to the size. Just an upgrade to the x90 would satisfy me ; doesn’t have to be mini led although that’s disappointing.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
OLED. No, if you use them like an adult.
QD-OLED is the new king of the hill.
I know LG OLED owners dont want to hear that but its the truth.

Sony and Samsung TVs are now the gold standard until LG or someone comes up with something better.

Bring back Plasma!

Kerotan

X90H has HDMI 2.1.
Not the XR processor and apparently it's having issues with 2.1 features? The point is some years we get a major upgrade like the 2 I mentioned. Other years nada.

ethomaz

Banned
1641309848111-png.3218792

"In case you're wondering, the size section of the A90K OLED is not a misprint: it indeed only comes in 42- and 48-inch sizes, which Sony aims, in part, at gamers. In terms of image quality, Sony said that its non-QD-OLED models -- the A90K and A80K -- would both perform basically the same, and as well as the flagship A90J OLED TV from 2021."

So that explains it, A80K and A90K are now the same performance wise as A90J.
A95K QD-OLED 55" is basically a dream.

kyliethicc

Hmm I didn’t see any less models this year compared to last, in fact there’s more (a95k)

Yes if the price gap is large between x90 and x95 it will still make sense but dang man not everyone wants such a huge tv. I will remain hopeful and decide when the time is right.

I probably wouldn’t ever buy a 65 inch for a game room and everything would look way less crisp due to the size. Just an upgrade to the x90 would satisfy me ; doesn’t have to be mini led although that’s disappointing.
Yeah but I just mean there's fewer sizes, and each model is more distinct. There's only 1 4K Mini LED model, only 1 4K FALD LCD, only 1 QD-OLED, etc. Its clearly why each one exists and there's less overlap in sizes. And there's really still only 2 OLED models.

A95K = A90J
A90K / A80K = A80J

Sony is just calling the 42" and 48" A80K models the "A90K Master Series" so they can justify a much higher price than the 42" / 48" LG C2 will be.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
QD-OLED is the new king of the hill.
I know LG OLED owners dont want to hear that but its the truth.

Sony and Samsung TVs are now the gold standard until LG or someone comes up with something better.

Oh yeah, I read his post as QLED. Indeed, QD-OLED will be the new champion just as soon as they're actually commercially available.

Kerotan

A95K QD-OLED 55" is basically a dream.
This TV in 65" will be mine someday. I have my 55" x90j so I can wait 4 or 5 years if needs be. But it ticks all the boxes and by the time it drops below €2,000 it will have even more improvements like all ports being hdmi 2.1 or whatever little BS improvements sony leave for the drip feed.

kyliethicc

This TV in 65" will be mine someday. I have my 55" x90j so I can wait 4 or 5 years if needs be. But it ticks all the boxes and by the time it drops below €2,000 it will have even more improvements like all ports being hdmi 2.1 or whatever little BS improvements sony leave for the drip feed.
The 65" Sony A90J has not dropped below $3800 so far.

You'll never be able to buy a 65" A95K for less than like $4000.

Elios83

A Korean site estimates that some 2022 QD-OLED TVs might cost over $8000.

Lol. In that case I'll happily stay with my Q95T for an other year :messenger_tears_of_joy:
We'll see more advanced second gen QD-OLED technology at half the price in a year.
Those prices are just robbery.
I might understand it if it was a micro LED TV.
But this is just an OLED variant still burn-in prone.

But let's see the official prices for the 55" model. And let's see what Samsung is doing as well when they announce their own models. Since the panels are made in house they might have a price advantage compared to Sony.

Last edited:

Kerotan

The 65" Sony A90J has not dropped below $3800 so far.

You'll never be able to buy a 65" A95K for less than like $4000.
Even 5 years from now? Surely there will be something new that replaces that price point by then such as an 8k OLED or some new tech?

dotnotbot

So why would someone buy an x90k instead of an x90j which is far cheaper?

Maybe there will be some minor improvements like a little more dimming zones, who knows. Wouldn't be the first new model to be barely different than it's last year's predecessor.

kyliethicc

Even 5 years from now? Surely there will be something new that replaces that price point by then such as an 8k OLED or some new tech?
5 years from now? The A95K will no longer be available to buy.

Lol. In that case I'll happily stay with my Q95T for an other year :messenger_tears_of_joy:
We'll see more advanced second gen QD-OLED technology at half the price in a year.
Those prices are just robbery.
I might understand it if it was a micro LED TV.
But this is just an OLED variant still burn-in prone.

But let's see the official prices for the 55" model. And let's see what Samsung is doing as well when they announce their own models. Since the panels are made in house they might have a price advantage compared to Sony.
A90J launch prices:
55" = $3000
65" = $4000

So I'll guess the A95K launch prices:
55" = $4000
65" = $5000

Last edited:
Yeah but I just mean there's fewer sizes, and each model is more distinct. There's only 1 4K Mini LED model, only 1 4K FALD LCD, only 1 QD-OLED, etc. Its clearly why each one exists and there's less overlap in sizes. And there's really still only 2 OLED models.

A95K = A90J
A90K / A80K = A80J

Sony is just calling the 42" and 48" A80K models the "A90K Master Series" so they can justify a much higher price than the 42" / 48" LG C2 will be.
Oh yes now I see what you’re saying. Well now the wait for reviews will be excruciating haha

Last edited:

DryvBy

There's absolutely no way I'd bother with OLED until burn-ins are rare as crap. I'm not the average TV user. I work from home and basically game 80% of my waking day, and a decent amount of that is in pause menus when I have to do something for work that takes a while longer than my normal job.

HTK

Banned
Really happy to see Sony with a A90K 42" OLED. I was going to go with the LG C2 42" but now things have changed with Sony's announcement. Can't wait to see the comparisons between the two, I'm already leaning towards Sony's just because of Google TV OS.

Currently have a LG CX 55" OLED and only thing i dislike is the OS.

PaintTinJr

Watching Sony's reveal today - as a ZD9 owner that doesn't really need a better TV, but is ready for one after 5.5years - I got the impression, like I have since the master backlight drive was first revealed, that Sony make lots of screens but are only really interested in showing their flagship technology - the Z9K in this case - to be far better than anything else they do, and the x95k is the one they expect real people stretching their budget to actually buy when its discounted in12motnhs.

In the video - and I may be mistaken - but I'm pretty sure there was a picture/diagram of the original 4K master backlight drive dimming zones - from the Z9D - being compared to the one in the new 8K Z9K, and it looking like the structure had 20 times the divisions in both x and y axis, giving me the feel the new flagship has 400-700 (as Vincent as Hdtvtest tried to count in the original z9d review) x 20 x 20 = 160,000 dimming zones as a lowest estimate for the Mini LED 8K model.

In this thread I noticed that it is assumed the XR cognitive processor is unchanged from the J range, but given the additional light sensors on the new (just the Z9K and X95k?) model/s and the gesture camera, the way the XR processor works is probably changed a bit in software. And from the old days of the Bravia Pro processor, a Bravia Pro processor in a smaller TV didn't have the same DSP as the larger sets at the same prefix IIRC - because by ppi and dsp the smaller cheaper screens would have outshone the large flagship TVs, easily and I'm sure that's always been the case, so an XR processor in 85" will likely have more DSP than the 75", 65", 55" etc to the advantage of the bigger screen. If the new K model wasn't a new era(like the X9005,Z9D, Z9G and Z9J all were) because of the Mini LED I would have assumed the K models would be either cheaper to make with similar performance or downgrades like X9005B's loss of QLED panel, and loss of build quality - much like the move from X2000 to X3000 - or the Z9 models loss of the master backlight drive after the D, until the Z9G... but AFAIK it looks like Sony have done back to back flagship luxury screens, using the best they can from the J to K.

I would have been tempted to consider an upgrade in the last month if the 75" Z9J model had been a bargain price around the £3.5 - 4K price, but seen the changes, I'm going to wait it out for a Z9K (or better upgrade :) ) unless the J is £2.5K .

Last edited:

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Honestly, I can't wait to see how the QD-OLED panels perform. This thing should be a beast.
In a perfect world pricing will be identical for the A90J/A95K and the A90/80K will be identical to the A80J with added 42" and 48" options at ~1200 and $1500.

Realistically the A95K will start at $10k because fuck you

In a perfect world pricing will be identical for the A90J/A95K and the A90/80K will be identical to the A80J with added 42" and 48" options at ~1200 and $1500.

According to rumors QD-OLED panels have a ridiculous yield of 1/3. That is, out of every 3 panels produced, only 1 is fully functional. So yeah it's not gonna be cheap.

Kerotan

5 years from now? The A95K will no longer be available to buy.

A90J launch prices:
55" = $3000
65" = $4000

So I'll guess the A95K launch prices:
55" = $4000
65" = $5000
Yeah it will be the A95P but it will be the same XR processor, the same panel. Pretty much the same everything. Maybe the panel will be 8K but that's it and don't they reckon 8k panels will be cheaper to produce when mainstream?

I think and hope these OLEDS will go under €2,000 because by then they'll have a much bigger market share over LED's. Time will tell.

Kerotan

Maybe there will be some minor improvements like a little more dimming zones, who knows. Wouldn't be the first new model to be barely different than it's last year's predecessor.
Oh yeah I get you. I forgot about the dimming zones which are quite low with room for improvement. I feel like for the next few years the successors to the bravia x90j will largely be the same bar small feature upgrades like this new camera which is pointless to me. In fact I'd prefer my TV didn't have a camera looking at me. But I don't see them dropping much in price so will effectively just print money for Sony.

I insane I'm not sure what a good yield is but in a way that's a good thing because it means prices will drop dramatically over every year as the yield improves.
According to rumors QD-OLED panels have a ridiculous yield of 1/3. That is, out of every 3 panels produced, only 1 is fully functional. So yeah it's not gonna be cheap.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Soon? This thread is about the new models for this next year.
All of those models will say 8K before then. Average consumers are pulled in by 8k more than "our XLED has 15% better blacks, etc".

Yeah. 8k is a HUGE buzzword right now

That and just sheer size

People don't care about picture quality much beyond "4k vs 8k" and bigger = better

Last edited:

Reallink

Seems like 55" and 65" are bedroom TV sizes these days. QD OLED's going to have to deliver a Quantum leap (pun intended) over WOLED to get people to pay an assumed insane price premium for a smaller display. 77" A1's have already been flirting with $2000 if you follow sales, 77" A2's may well hit $1500 next Holiday.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

A90K will be like $2000-$2500 lol.

Watching Sony's reveal today - as a ZD9 owner that doesn't really need a better TV, but is ready for one after 5.5years - I got the impression, like I have since the master backlight drive was first revealed, that Sony make lots of screens but are only really interested in showing their flagship technology - the Z9K in this case - to be far better than anything else they do, and the x95k is the one they expect real people stretching their budget to actually buy when its discounted in12motnhs.

In the video - and I may be mistaken - but I'm pretty sure there was a picture/diagram of the original 4K master backlight drive dimming zones - from the Z9D - being compared to the one in the new 8K Z9K, and it looking like the structure had 20 times the divisions in both x and y axis, giving me the feel the new flagship has 400-700 (as Vincent as Hdtvtest tried to count in the original z9d review) x 20 x 20 = 160,000 dimming zones as a lowest estimate for the MicroLED 8K model.
Just a heads up - Mini LED, not Micro LED. Big difference lol.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

What caught my eye is that A80K has XR Oled Contrast Pro, previously only reserved for A90J. Sounds like A80K may be getting a heatsink as well.
So per Vinny Teoh of HDTVTest in his video from yesterday, neither the A80K or A90K will get heatsinks. Only the A95K has a heatsink.

But both models will get evo panels for high peak brightness. So the A80K is like half A80J and half A90J.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Still happy with my A90J purchase (when VRR hits I will be well off for the next couple of years).

Watched the new Spiderman in a 4k, Dolby Atmos, D-max screen. Biggest in Bavaria (mK6 screen). Sound was unbelievable but video PQ... not so much. The size is great yes but overall my A90J blew it out of the water.

dolabla

A new OLED model has been announced. The A75K:

Sony will widen its OLED TV line-up in 2022 with the flagship A95K QD-OLED model and for the first time a 7-series OLED model, A75K, that will compete with offerings from LG, Philips and other brands that have in recent years introduced more affordable OLED models.

Sony A75K will use LG Display's WOLED panel. It features 4K resolution, 100/120Hz panel refresh rate, two HDMI 2.1 ports with 4K120 and VRR, and Sony's most advanced 'Cognitive Processor XR' processor. In other words, most of the same features found in more expensive Sony OLED TVs.

So why is A75K cheaper than A80K? It has a scaled-down 'Acoustic Surface Audio' speaker system and a different design. However, buyers should not expect it to compete with LG A1 (LG's 50/60Hz OLED TV without HDMI 2.1) on price, FlatpanelsHD was told.

Sony A75K will be available in 55 inches (55A75K) and 65 inches (65A75K).

sonya75k_tvd_1_large.jpg

dotnotbot

Seems interesting. Probably similar to the LG B series OLEDs. Bit worse than the A80, bit less expensive.

Going by Sony's terminology, it's equipped with XR OLED Contrast Pro, same as A80K. So shouldn't be much dimmer, if at all. Also exact same processor, while B series handles some things noticeably worse compared to C. I'm very intrigued how it performs. Naming it A75 instead of A70 also suggests there isn't that much of a difference under the hood.

So far seems to be only confirmed for Asia and Europe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom