• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sony INZONE gaming headsets & monitors

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Blur Busters are working on a new firmware for Eve Spectrum which can do VRR + backlight strobing.

lewd family guy GIF

XJF

dude. For 800 ?!
What are you dumb ?! Grab that shit (if it's new).
It's the best tv in the world right now. Fkn amazing. Much cheaper than c2 and even got backlight strobing mode that was removed from c2
Haha. I bought mine back in December for $950 from BestBuy. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any specs on the M9 lol

Dream-Knife

Banned
Yes, 2 meters away will make up for that. With monitors you stay pretty close to the monitor. I can see the pixels from around 1 meter away from a 55" 4K screen, but that's crazy close and I'm usually 2 meters away.
Why not just buy a smaller monitor and be closer to it?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's going to destroy your back. Trade that lazy boy for a herman miller.

I don't work at home, I chill.:messenger_sunglasses: Also my back is in great shape ;) Also it can be used for other meaningful stuff other than sitting, if you got what I mean.

4737_nettles_umber_rec_model_large.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

yurinka

Isn't 27" a bit small for 4k res? I would be interested if it was 32".
It's a monitor, not a tv. So it's to have it in your bedroom/office desktop next to your face, not far away like a tv. So 27" is already pretty big.

With Sony getting into monitors this will increase the chance of supporting 1440p.
Nah, these monitors seem to be high end gaming 4K monitors. I don't see going back to 1440p.

And well, since they are monitors they are mostly for PC and not for PS5. Notice it uses 144Hz or gSync, something that pretty likely PS5 will never use because PS5 is used almost always in tvs (super rare to see 1440p or 144Hz there) and Sony doesn't have a GeForce GPU (the only ones that use gsync).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Isn't 27" a bit small for 4k res? I would be interested if it was 32".

Btw does GAF have any evergreen thread on monitors? At some point i would like to pick up a 4k monitor, just not sure which one and when (i see a lot of comments here mentioning to wait for next year).

Yeah, my point exactly. Such a waste of time. I was well in to buy one of these if it was 32 inch.

27 and 4k is an absolute none starter. I hope they release a 32 inch version.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
It's a monitor, not a tv. So it's to have it in your bedroom/office desktop next to your face, not far away like a tv. So 27" is already pretty big.

Nah, these monitors seem to be high end gaming 4K monitors. I don't see going back to 1440p.

And well, since they are monitors they are mostly for PC and not for PS5. Notice it uses 144Hz or gSync, something that pretty likely PS5 will never use because PS5 is used almost always in tvs (super rare to see 1440p or 144Hz there) and Sony doesn't have a GeForce GPU (the only ones that use gsync).
That doesn't change the fact that 4k at 27" is pretty pointless. You'd have to have your nose on the display to see the pixels. And all for something that their own console couldn't even drive well, and most gaming PCs too.

The M3 is a high end 1080p monitor, so they clearly don't think resolutions lower than 4k are dead.

yurinka

That doesn't change the fact that 4k at 27" is pretty pointless. You'd have to have your nose on the display to see the pixels. And all for something that their own console couldn't even drive well, and most gaming PCs too.

The M3 is a high end 1080p monitor, so they clearly don't think resolutions lower than 4k are dead.
Their console is fine with (often not native) 4K gaming and I think that if you buy a monitor or tv today as a future proof idea I think more sense to buy it 4K.

But as of today if you have a 1080p tv or monitor is more than ok because in most cases you won't notice the difference and being in 1080p you'll be able to hit higher fps or visuals.

Sony will use these displays at EVO, and I think M3 makes more sense for fighting games tournament there because all they need there is 1080p 60fps and the lowest lag possible, and the lowest price possible because they'll buy many for the tournaments. M3 ones offer 1080p 240Hz with HDMI 2.1 VRR and 1 ms lag for $530 which is great. They won't need M9 for fighting games.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Their console is fine with (often not native) 4K gaming and I think that if you buy a monitor or tv today as a future proof idea I think more sense to buy it 4K.

But as of today if you have a 1080p tv or monitor is more than ok because in most cases you won't notice the difference and being in 1080p you'll be able to hit higher fps or visuals.

Sony will use these displays at EVO, and I think M3 makes more sense for fighting games tournament there because all they need there is 1080p 60fps and the lowest lag possible, and the lowest price possible because they'll buy many for the tournaments. M3 ones offer 1080p 240Hz with HDMI 2.1 VRR and 1 ms lag for $530 which is great. They won't need M9 for fighting games.

You didn't actually address my points, especially that 4k on a 27" monitor is pointless. You end up driving millions more pixels that you don't need and most people can't notice. 1440p is great at the size and it's about the max size 1080p is still good at.

You don't need to quote the specs at me. I'm more than capable of clicking a link, or you know, actually have already read them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah, my point exactly. Such a waste of time. I was well in to buy one of these if it was 32 inch.

27 and 4k is an absolute none starter. I hope they release a 32 inch version.

I mean Sony's Xperia phones are 4K as well, and if you can still make the difference between them and other screens then you can easily do with 27".

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I ordered a pair of the M9's from Amazon and I got them Friday afternoon. My opinion

TLDR - Avoid these UNLESS you love having your ear's swim in an ear cup sweat filled swimming pool

Positive impressions -
  • Ok, these kinda look like the Sony MX1000 series of headphones. The MX line of headphones is my personal favorite travel/anc headphones. The M5's are nice but they changed the design so the ear cups can no longer folder down for a compact storage. So the M4's are still the champs imo.
  • The headphones have the same texture as the MX series of headphones, they feel premium.
  • The headphones are very lite as well.
  • The ANC (active noise cancelling) is very good for a gaming headset. Not as good as the MX series of headphones but better than any other gaming headset that supports ANC (the Arctis nova Pros)
  • They support bluetooth connection and have a wireless dongle that you can use with your Playstation or PC. I connected these to my phone while using them on my PS5 and answering a call was easy and it managed source switching easily.
  • 32 hours of battery life according to the box...I am assuming that is without ANC and using a wired connection.
  • Buttons on the headphones are well spaced and easy to identify while you have them on.
  • Sound quality is very good. Deep bass, clear notes, great separation between soundtrack and SFX (although that's mostly attributed to dev sound mixing). I don't think they sound as nice as the Arctis or even the MX series when connected with a dongle adapter.
  • I didn't notice any sort of delay at all either. They were very responsive.
  • I wore these for about 4 hours on Saturday when I was playing Elden Ring and they did feel really lite the whole time. I didn't have any ear fatigue or pinch (I have big ass ears).
  • Not a single audio pop, buzz, or signal drop in over 4 hours of constant use.
Negative impressions -
  • I really don't like the lighting effects on the headset. Just let the power button have an LED indicator. WHY do you have glowing LED discs that circle around your ear cup adjustment columns?
  • The microphone (audio quality) is overall very poor. My voice sounds fine in my ear but when other folks are hearing me they complained constantly about the quality of the mic. Tested on a quick stream and yeah....I can understand the complaints. Hollow, tinny, distant sounding.
  • The microphone boom arm cannot be detached from the headphones. So you are paying $300 for something you cannot really dual purpose unless you don't mind looking like a chad streamer on the airplane.
  • The microphone boom arm is also made of plastic/rubber so you can twist it into a better shape for your mouth...but it does make it feel cheap.
  • Volume roll-wheel is encased in this large plastic protrusion. Its an odd call imo and doesn't look consistent with the rest of the headset controls. They have a rocker for Game/Voice levels...why not do the same for volume?
  • These leather ear cups combined with the cave like design headphones themselves are so incredibly hot. I had these on for 10 minutes and when I took them off the ear cups were covered in dripping sweat. Sweat dripped OFF the ear cups when I took off the headset.
  • Need a dongle (usb A) to connect them to the PS5. This is a pain if you are using the front USB-A port for a fight stick.
The only other headphones I have ever had this issue with are the set of Apple Airpod Max. At least those are cloth so it will try to hide the sweat but these M9's are just sweat factories.

Bottom Line -
  • $300 should get you a decent microphone. These headphones feel like they have a boom mic from a $50 headset.
  • I shouldn't be getting Dagobah swamp ears from $300 headphones.
  • MSRP should be $199 for these based on comparing them to existing Sony hardware in this space.
  • Wireless signal was extremely clean and consistent.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I ordered a pair of the M9's from Amazon and I got them Friday afternoon. My opinion

TLDR - Avoid these UNLESS you love having your ear's swim in an ear cup sweat filled swimming pool

Positive impressions -
  • Ok, these kinda look like the Sony MX1000 series of headphones. The MX line of headphones is my personal favorite travel/anc headphones. The M5's are nice but they changed the design so the ear cups can no longer folder down for a compact storage. So the M4's are still the champs imo.
  • The headphones have the same texture as the MX series of headphones, they feel premium.
  • The headphones are very lite as well.
  • The ANC (active noise cancelling) is very good for a gaming headset. Not as good as the MX series of headphones but better than any other gaming headset that supports ANC (the Arctis nova Pros)
  • They support bluetooth connection and have a wireless dongle that you can use with your Playstation or PC. I connected these to my phone while using them on my PS5 and answering a call was easy and it managed source switching easily.
  • 32 hours of battery life according to the box...I am assuming that is without ANC and using a wired connection.
  • Buttons on the headphones are well spaced and easy to identify while you have them on.
  • Sound quality is very good. Deep bass, clear notes, great separation between soundtrack and SFX (although that's mostly attributed to dev sound mixing). I don't think they sound as nice as the Arctis or even the MX series when connected with a dongle adapter.
  • I didn't notice any sort of delay at all either. They were very responsive.
  • I wore these for about 4 hours on Saturday when I was playing Elden Ring and they did feel really lite the whole time. I didn't have any ear fatigue or pinch (I have big ass ears).
  • Not a single audio pop, buzz, or signal drop in over 4 hours of constant use.
Negative impressions -
  • I really don't like the lighting effects on the headset. Just let the power button have an LED indicator. WHY do you have glowing LED discs that circle around your ear cup adjustment columns?
  • The microphone (audio quality) is overall very poor. My voice sounds fine in my ear but when other folks are hearing me they complained constantly about the quality of the mic. Tested on a quick stream and yeah....I can understand the complaints. Hollow, tinny, distant sounding.
  • The microphone boom arm cannot be detached from the headphones. So you are paying $300 for something you cannot really dual purpose unless you don't mind looking like a chad streamer on the airplane.
  • The microphone boom arm is also made of plastic/rubber so you can twist it into a better shape for your mouth...but it does make it feel cheap.
  • Volume roll-wheel is encased in this large plastic protrusion. Its an odd call imo and doesn't look consistent with the rest of the headset controls. They have a rocker for Game/Voice levels...why not do the same for volume?
  • These leather ear cups combined with the cave like design headphones themselves are so incredibly hot. I had these on for 10 minutes and when I took them off the ear cups were covered in dripping sweat. Sweat dripped OFF the ear cups when I took off the headset.
  • Need a dongle (usb A) to connect them to the PS5. This is a pain if you are using the front USB-A port for a fight stick.
The only other headphones I have ever had this issue with are the set of Apple Airpod Max. At least those are cloth so it will try to hide the sweat but these M9's are just sweat factories.

Bottom Line -
  • $300 should get you a decent microphone. These headphones feel like they have a boom mic from a $50 headset.
  • I shouldn't be getting Dagobah swamp ears from $300 headphones.
  • MSRP should be $199 for these based on comparing them to existing Sony hardware in this space.
  • Wireless signal was extremely clean and consistent.
Thanks for the impressions !
Sounds like it's ok but too hot as I would expect. Noise cancelling does that and it's pointless in home.
I have pulse 3d and it's not as hot/swampy since the pads are just normal foam and not clamping so good. You still hear everything fine.
Ideally, I love foam on-ear open design like Koss Porta Pro. No sweat and weight at all.

Is the dongle 2,4ghz? Does ps5 recognize it as headset and shows controls in UI when you change volume and so on ?
Based on your description, H7 seems better since I think it's not memory foam and no leather. Just fabric ?
is the mic detachable ?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thanks for the impressions !
Sounds like it's ok but too hot as I would expect. Noise cancelling does that and it's pointless in home.
I have pulse 3d and it's not as hot/swampy since the pads are just normal foam and not clamping so good. You still hear everything fine.
Ideally, I love foam on-ear open design like Koss Porta Pro. No sweat and weight at all.

Is the dongle 2,4ghz? Does ps5 recognize it as headset and shows controls in UI when you change volume and so on ?
Based on your description, H7 seems better since I think it's not memory foam and no leather. Just fabric ?
is the mic detachable ?
Dongle is 2.4ghz.
The mic is not detachable which is disappointing especially given the poor quality.
I don't remember the Volume UI showing when I was playing. I will check that out and report back.

These headphones, especially for cribbing so much of their design from the 1000M series shouldn't have these heat issues imo. I don't have this issue with any of the other Sony headset's or Bose, or Sennheiser, just a weird issue to have on such a costly set of headhpones.

Last edited:

timmyp53

H9 Impressions
- Great sound quality
-Deep and bassy, wide range.
-Very comfortable fit. Much more than the pulses
-Not tight fitting and much more vertical room for adjustments for bigger head sizes like me
-Completlely integrated with ps5
-The wheel is better for me than pulses because you have more fine tune volume control(with volume ui on screen)
-Can be connected to phone via bluetooth and ps5/pc dongle at same time!
I.E. You can listen to mobile phone youtube podcast and in game ps5 audio at same time.
- Mic audio is fine and clear but not high end. You can listen to examples online.
- Noise cancellation Is working great for my use case. Cancelling out the hum of air conditioning and ambiance.
-Ive used them for about three hours so far without ears heating up but will need longer sit down.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Dongle is 2.4ghz.
The mic is not detachable which is disappointing especially given the poor quality.
I don't remember the Volume UI showing when I was playing. I will check that out and report back.

These headphones, especially for cribbing so much of their design from the 1000M series shouldn't have these heat issues imo. I don't have this issue with any of the other Sony headset's or Bose, or Sennheiser, just a weird issue to have on such a costly set of headphones.
What timmyp53 timmyp53 said about PS5 integration:

Volume UI is shown on the screen when adjusting up/down
Mic on notification when you lower the boom mic to speaking position
Mic off notification and Dualsense "muted" light activate when you raise the boom mic to mute it.

timmyp53

No complaints on heat of ears.

Played around with the pc inzone hub. Pretty intuitive and simple. Was able to easily link my 360 spatial ear data (photo of ears was taken) to my headset.
Toggling the dongle for pc usage is simple with the physical switch.

I wonder why sony hasnt allowed spatial audio personalization data be imported to the ps5 yet. I'm guessing in the future.

Audio sounds great to me on pc as well.
It would be cool if the inzone hub app had a sound test though . Unless I missed it somewhere .

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
My brother got one of theses since I gave him my 3080ti, should show up today. Can’t wait to see it, besides the stand and shit speakers (witch both can be fixed) seem like a great mid range monitor.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
My brother got one of theses since I gave him my 3080ti, should show up today. Can’t wait to see it, besides the stand and shit speakers (witch both can be fixed) seem like a great mid range monitor.

And it fucking died with in an hour of use…. Seems wide spread QC issues with these, Reddit littered with complaints.

Back to the store it goes, good job Sony.

Top Bottom