• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Starfield Leaks From Verified BSG Artist (Verified by J. Schrier) - Shooting Good, Flying Bad, Overabundance of Content & More

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is the artist's post. The post and the artist's account have since been deleted from Era so you can't find it anymore.

uJjt5sp.png

-

And here's Jason verifying that at least the person is who they said they are, while also debunking some other recent leaks.

12etjwo.png

--------

Update:

Context and archived quotes from Era before they got deleted:

I’m not sure of the rules regarding linking to Era, but it’s the Xbox OT.

I did find this quote which was still appearing from people quoting him:

“Don't know, i don't like any of those games...that's why i'm interested in your guys and gals opinions...i have mine but i'm not the target for these types of games.”

Basically his opinion on Bethesda games but most of the quotes are regarding his original comment so that’s all I see appearing.

I did find one person quoting him where he said this. If I recall correctly, this was more specifically aimed towards space flight.

“Again, that's to me, you may love it. So it's hard to say, i'm really interested in knowing what some of you guys will think about the game in general. very very curious.”

Last edited:

sendit

Wasn't expecting HFW visuals out of this but I still think it'll look better than every Bethesda game that came before & good enough for a modern AAA game. I wanna feel immersed when playing an open-world RPG like this set in space & the visuals play a pretty big part for me at least, I think they'll do a fine job with this one.

Given how this is a current gen exclusive. I want to be blown away graphically. However, I have no doubt the open world experience will be good.

Last edited:

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
He later clarified and said the manual space flight wasn’t fun for him, though these aren’t his type of games. It didn’t seem like he was making a statement regarding the actual quality of the manual space flight mechanic. There were other devs who liked it.

Starfield also seems like it’ll eclipse HFW in scope, so I wouldn’t expect its level of visuals personally. The fact that he implied there was almost too much content is interesting.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Given how this is a current gen exclusive. I want to be blown away graphically. However, I have no doubt the open world experience will be good.
Hearing them talk about the photogrammetry, I was hoping it would look closer to the in-engine stuff they've been showing but I should've known better

Last edited:

EDMIX

This game is going to be a monster success. Bank it.

Coming from Fallout and Elder Scrolls fame......yea its moving monster units.

Day 1.

I don't think it will beat Fallout 4's opening week, but I think it will do well at release.

Wasn't expecting HFW visuals out of this but I still think it'll look better than every Bethesda game that came before & good enough for a modern AAA game. I wanna feel immersed when playing an open-world RPG like this set in space & the visuals play a pretty big part for me at least, I think they'll do a fine job with this one.

True, I wish they had an engine that could match Decima, but I enjoyed all the Fallout and Elder Scrolls stuff even with them always looking dated compared to others.

3liteDragon

Hearing them talk about the photogrammetry I was hoping it would look closer to the in-engine stuff they've been showing but I should've known better
Well to be fair, the footage they showed was actually running in real-time on an RTX 2080 Super & it was alpha footage as well. So that's why I'm expecting to still look really good & even better than the reveal trailer.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Hearing them talk about the photogrammetry, I was hoping it would look closer to the in-engine stuff they've been showing but I should've known better

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

The artist is talking about the lighting, photogrammetary is for textures and assets.

The teaser trailer was in-engine, that's how the final game will look, if not better.

Elysion

Banned
I remember when the first Oblivion screenshots were released back in the day; everyone was blown away by the visuals. I was hoping it would be similar with Starfield. Then again, Fallout 4 didn’t exactly set the world on fire either when it comes to graphics, so maybe I shouldn’t expect too much. But I can‘t help but being a bit disappointed if it turns out that Bethesda‘s big debut on current-gen looks worse than a cross-gen game.

Though all is forgiven if the game actually has seamless interplanetary travel, combined with Bethesda‘s interactive worlds and attention to detail.

adamsapple

Was it also in real time? That matters more then if it was in engine or not.

Why does that matter ? It was shown as a video in a digital E3 presentation. And we know it was all built using the in-game tools. It's a good representative of what the actual game will look like.

"I created the lighting for the 2021 teaser trailer of Starfield. Using our own Creation Engine 2, we created this entirely in game without any cinematic tools,"Beltramini said on his website.

Last edited:

Jennings

I want this game so bad. I don't even like flying so they should just remove it. And I don't want it to look like HFW, all plasticy and CGI. I don't want it looking like some sort of video game. I probably won't even use the shooting mechanics, I'd like my first playthrough to be a pacifist run.

When that poster says there's too much content I wonder how that compares to the breadth of Elden Ring's titanic hand-crafted world.

Last edited:
Why does that matter ? It was shown as a video in a digital E3 presentation. And we know it was all built using the in-game tools. It's a good representative of what the actual game will look like.
Well that Halo 2018 trailer was supposedly the "game engine demontration" and it turned out to be complete bullshit (it was so far from the end result that I think it was a lie to begging with, but anyway).

In-engine doesn't mean anything these days, ideally it should say captured in real-time running on an Xbox.

With all that said, I think the game could look like what they've showed, it wasn't anything that didn't look achievable.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

Starfield might be the only AAA next gen game out this year which is depressing because its fucking bethesda and they typically suck at graphics. Still, the reveal trailer was all realtime and wasnt using any cutscene cinematics so there is a good chance bethesda might have the best looking game of the year. Absolutely crazy turn of events.
You're a funny guy man, especially after reading all your complaints/essays regarding cross-gen & current-gen games.
Starfield might be the only AAA next gen game out this year which is depressing because its fucking bethesda and they typically suck at graphics. Still, the reveal trailer was all realtime and wasnt using any cutscene cinematics so there is a good chance bethesda might have the best looking game of the year. Absolutely crazy turn of events.
This is why I never just assume because a game's not on last-gen, it instantly means next-level mind blowing graphics. But I still think this game's gonna surprise a lot of people in a good way who have low expectations when it comes to visuals.

For Bethesda titles, the world-building is what made the games super immersive for me even if the visuals were meh, so for Starfield to have improved visuals on par with modern 3rd party AAA titles + all the immersive world-building & exploration they're known for, is a win-win cause it'll make the playing experience that much better.

Last edited:

reksveks

He later clarified and said the manual space flight wasn’t fun for him, though these aren’t his type of games. It didn’t seem like he was making a statement regarding the actual quality of the manual space flight mechanic. There were other devs who liked it.
Got a screenshot of that?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It isn't on last gen consoles so what do you consider to be a next gen game?
a game that looks better than a cross gen game like HFW.

You're a funny guy man, especially after reading all your complaints/essays regarding cross-gen & current-gen games.

This is why I never just assume because a game's not on last-gen, it instantly means next-level mind blowing graphics. But I still think this game's gonna surprise a lot of people in a good way who have low expectations when it comes to visuals.

For Bethesda titles, the world-building is what made the games super immersive for me even if the visuals were meh, so for Starfield to have improved visuals on par with modern 3rd party AAA titles + all the immersive world-building & exploration they're known for, is win-win cause it'll make the playing experience that much better.
the engine sucks comment and flying being a mess to me means more than graphics. i can handle a game with mediocre graphics, but i was expecting to see some true next gen gameplay features. the fact that they are tied to that crap engine is very disappointing.

Jaybe

That ship date that rapidly approaching. What to fix no vs later? What to cut and save for DLC? Decisions decisions.

3liteDragon

the engine sucks comment and flying being a mess to me means more than graphics. i can handle a game with mediocre graphics, but i was expecting to see some true next gen gameplay features. the fact that they are tied to that crap engine is very disappointing.
Well that's one dev's opinion, we all have to wait until the full game's out if you wanna judge it on it's own merits.

Shrennin

Got a screenshot of that?

I don’t. All his posts were nuked after, I presume, he realized it could get him into legal trouble.

He essentially said he wasn’t a fan of a lot of Bethesda games (in terms of games he likes) and as far as the engine, he was talking about usability for devs rather than what it does on the consumer end.

Stuart360

I like what i'm hearing to be honest. I was never expecting the best looking game of all time, just a good looking huge game. For me the only time Bethesda have really impressed graphically was with Oblivion, due to it being a very early 360 game. Skyrim was good looking but hardly the best on 360/PS3. Same with Fallout 4 on XB1/PS4. If the game matches the trailer, i will be more than satisfied.
The amount of content is what i realy look for in Bethesda games, and it seems its got that in droves.
Cant bloody wait for the media blowout in June or whenever Microsoft are doing their E3 style event.

excited-happy.gif

Last edited:

Relique

Well that's one dev's opinion, we all have to wait until the full game's out if you wanna judge it on it's own merits.
I mean it's still Creation Engine which was still Gamebryo and judging by all the games on it since Fallout 3 I am inclined to believe the dev. It's upgraded but you know.. they've been upgrading it for 15 years and last we saw it, it was still trash.

adamsapple

Starfield also seems like it’ll eclipse HFW in scope, so I wouldn’t expect its level of visuals personally. The fact that he implied there was almost too much content is interesting.

That sounds better in context.

More importantly, this is fast turning into Betheda's most ambitious game with manual flying, multiple planets with different biomes and unique alien life and all.

Almost seems like an actual fruition of what many thought No Man's Sky was going to be.

I don’t. All his posts were nuked after, I presume, he realized it could get him into legal trouble.

He essentially said he wasn’t a fan of a lot of Bethesda games (in terms of games he likes) and as far as the engine, he was talking about usability for devs rather than what it does on the consumer end.

Do you happen to know the URL of that topic ? Maybe there's an archived version or two on the Wayback Machine.

Last edited:

He said he didn't personally like working with the engine. He clarified that he didn't mean that would mean a bad end result for players.

I'm not sure I understand your thinking that a dev not liking working with a particular engine = no next-gen gameplay features?

Stuart360

Yep.

Wondering what the games flight mechanics will be like and how they'll be modified between when this artist was working there and release.

For the combat/gameplay I'm not really expecting a radical departure from Skyrim/Fallout 4.
I wasnt even expecting flight mechanics to be honest. I thought it would be Mass Effect style where you just get a cutscene or soemthing when you fly to different planets, bases etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He said he didn't personally like working with the engine. He clarified that he didn't mean that would mean a bad end result for players.

I'm not sure I understand your thinking that a dev not liking working with a particular engine = no next-gen gameplay features?
If an engine sucks, it can hold back game design. See all the issues bungie had with that terrible engine for destiny and how keeping that engine caused them more trouble even after they dropped last gen consoles for destiny 2.

We all know of BioWare’s frustration with frostbite.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

The artist is talking about the lighting, photogrammetary is for textures and assets.

The teaser trailer was in-engine, that's how the final game will look, if not better.
Oh I forgot he said lighting and thought he was talking about the visuals overall. I hope it does look like the teaser trailer

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

If it's true to a typical BGS game it will be massive in scope and have a ton of game effecting decisions, interesting side quests, random encounters and unique exploration opportunities. When you have such a game on such a massive scale and with so much content, I don't expect it to have ultra-high graphic quality and lighting.

I agree with you, based on what little we've seen, they'll do a fine job on the visuals especially for such a huge project. Besides with BGS games, at least for me, the art direction is far more important than the number of pixels; it's always so damn immersive. Crappy as the quality is, FO3 has some of my favorite graphics in a game and I love the world of Oblivion and even Morrowind.

Shrennin

Do you happen to know the URL of that topic ? Maybe there's an archived version or two on the Wayback Machine.

I’m not sure of the rules regarding linking to Era, but it’s the Xbox OT.

I did find this quote which was still appearing from people quoting him:

“Don't know, i don't like any of those games...that's why i'm interested in your guys and gals opinions...i have mine but i'm not the target for these types of games.”

Basically his opinion on Bethesda games but most of the quotes are regarding his original comment so that’s all I see appearing.

I did find one person quoting him where he said this. If I recall correctly, this was more specifically aimed towards space flight.

“Again, that's to me, you may love it. So it's hard to say, i'm really interested in knowing what some of you guys will think about the game in general. very very curious.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom