• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Starfield Leaks From Verified BSG Artist (Verified by J. Schrier) - Shooting Good, Flying Bad, Overabundance of Content & More

Starfield

Starfield Starfield Well, you're the resident Starfield news reporter whats going on here?
He's legit. Even backed-up by JS. I actually made a resetera era account yesterday and dm'd him to warn this dude that Bethesda is literally looking down his throat right now. He responded with "i didnt break any NDA i didnt reveal specifics" and 5mins later he nuked his entire account, probably needed some time to think over all of this lol

but yeah, manual space flight confirmed. As I've always postulated ;)

As for his other comments, he said he didn't like several bethesda games including bgs games, I would take his opinion -even as a dev who played numerious alpha builds- with a grain of salt.
I'm sure the game will be fine. He later even clarified more on his comments and tried to backtrack on his commetns that the engine actually isnt shit, that the game looks good and has lots of content, so much in fact that they prolly have to cut some

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
He's legit. Even backed-up by JS. I actually made a resetera era account yesterday and dm'd him to warn this dude that Bethesda is literally looking down his throat right now. He responded with "i didnt break any NDA i didnt reveal specifics" and 5mins later he nuked his entire account, probably needed some time to think over all of this lol

but yeah, manual space flight confirmed. As I've always postulated ;)

As for his other comments, he said he didn't like several bethesda games including bgs games, I would take his opinion -even as a dev who played numerious alpha builds- with a grain of salt.

I'm sure the game will be fine. He later even clarified more on his comments and tried to backtrack on his commetns that the engine actually isnt shit, that the game looks good and has lots of content, so much in fact that they prolly have to cut some

If someone who reportedly and self admittedly doesn't like those kind of games ends up praising various features of it, that just bodes extremely well for the end-result.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Too see the reactions and awnser people's question for a bit of fame

I think the person legitimately thought there won't be any issue as they don't work with BGS anymore.

But the lawyers got to 'em and nuked the account from orbit.

tmlDan

If someone who reportedly and self admittedly doesn't like those kind of games ends up praising various features of it, that just bodes extremely well for the end-result.
In the end he did not criticize what we love about Bethesda games, the world, story, world design, exploration, size.

We know they aren't particularly good at combat or top tier graphics and that's fine, as long as its good it doesn't have to be amazing. It's hard to get everything right in a game this big.

Mephisto40

What are pople actually going to think when they find out the ship flying is limited to flying to a select number of planets in a ship flying mini game, where a cutscene then plays of your ship landing, and then you get out of your ship and are limited to a confined map about a quarter of the size of skyrims map for about ten different planets?

Because thats fully what i'm expecting from this game, I think if you are expecting any more you are being wildly optimistic

This is not going to be a star citizen / frontier / Evochron Mercenary / No Mans Sky sized space exploration game, people realise that right? This is a single player RPG built using an engine that has bought us games such as Fallout 4 and Skyrim

Honestly think peoples expectations are going to be way, way too high

Elysion

Banned
What will we get first: TES VI, or a total conversion mod for Starfield that recreates Skyrim with the Starfield engine? We already have a similar mod for Skyrim, which recreates Morrowind within Skyrim‘s engine (though it‘s not complete yet), so I wouldn’t be surprised if we see something similar for Starfield.

Solarstrike

funny cat wtf GIF

Jankfield.

Stuart360

Not with Game pass being involved, it'll likely be out of the top 10 in its second month and top 20 in its third just like Halo, hell Gears 5 was out of the top 20 in its second month.
Gamepass will have an effect obviously but the game is going to be HUGE on Steam. The game is already 4th place in the 'most wishlisted' games list on Steam ,and the game isnt out for another 7 months.

Corndog

Banned
Coming from Fallout and Elder Scrolls fame......yea its moving monster units.

Day 1.

I don't think it will beat Fallout 4's opening week, but I think it will do well at release.

True, I wish they had an engine that could match Decima, but I enjoyed all the Fallout and Elder Scrolls stuff even with them always looking dated compared to others.
They could always use ID tech.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really don't want flying in my Bethesda RPGs.

Kinda of wish they'd just stuck to the tried and true formula w/ advancements and a new setting.

And the engine is amazing, people don't understand why it's so special, fuck em.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

They should polish traversal as that is very important part of the game.
But as for visuals, i dont mind that much, as long as they are good. The main appeal here is exploration.

As for the "Fun" comment, the thing with these comments is that they are very subjective and dont tell you anything. Lots of people find Skyrim fun and lots other find it boring, who to trust?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
the lack of true next gen visuals in titles other than Sony First Party games is highly disappointing so far this gen.

anthraticus

Banned
Hopefully years down the line a complete overhaul mod like Enderal for Skyrim will make it redeemable.

Last edited:

Larxia

Engine is shit? so we are gonna have the absurd NPCs and bugs like always then.
I'm a bit confused by reactions like this because... I actually think the NPCs in the Elder Scrolls / Fallout games are the best out of any games, and this since Oblivion.
I just really love how everything feels so alive, organic, evolving. It feels like anything can happen, even super random stuff because of NPCs making random decisions.

Yes it can lead to some funny situations that can seem goofy, so I assume that's why a lot of people think it's "bad", but I really, really prefer this over a game that looks "perfect" but where everything is static, with no interactions or anything happening and NPCs with very limited scripted events.

Oblivion was really mind blowing for me when I first played it, and I'm sad that this many years later no other games (outside of skyrim and fallout) ever gave me this feeling again. It's a really special and immersive feeling, there's something about it that make it feel more alive than in other games.
It feels like NPCs in these games kind of have their own consciousness, I mean they might be dumb consciousness, but it's for me better than just pre scripted npcs that won't ever surprise you.

There's something very special about the formula of the TES / Fallout games, it's very unique and I really wish to have more games like this, since they're the only ones making it, so I hope Starfield will provide the same feeling.

What are pople actually going to think when they find out the ship flying is limited to flying to a select number of planets in a ship flying mini game, where a cutscene then plays of your ship landing, and then you get out of your ship and are limited to a confined map about a quarter of the size of skyrims map for about ten different planets?

Because thats fully what i'm expecting from this game, I think if you are expecting any more you are being wildly optimistic

This is not going to be a star citizen / frontier / Evochron Mercenary / No Mans Sky sized space exploration game, people realise that right? This is a single player RPG built using an engine that has bought us games such as Fallout 4 and Skyrim

Honestly think peoples expectations are going to be way, way too high
I hope its like that...I don't want them putting a ton of effort and resources into a gameplay loop they aren't experienced in. Have it be simple like a watered down elite dangerous...give the option of real time flight being rediculously long...different light speeds to go faster and focus on what you do well...ground based exploration. If like 30% of the game is based on the space flight, booooooo.

Im not expecting next gen visuals since Bethesda has never been known for it

But it’ll look good, probably around Cyberpunk levels of visuals. Cross gen plus

BlvckFox

Gold Member
God, the game launch will turn this place into a Warzone. I really hope SF ends up delivering. Not just for the delicious salt but to finally end the narrative that a lack of gameplay footage is an indicator for anything.

Bragr

Banned
I'm a bit confused by reactions like this because... I actually think the NPCs in the Elder Scrolls / Fallout games are the best out of any games, and this since Oblivion.
I just really love how everything feels so alive, organic, evolving. It feels like anything can happen, even super random stuff because of NPCs making random decisions.

Yes it can lead to some funny situations that can seem goofy, so I assume that's why a lot of people think it's "bad", but I really, really prefer this over a game that looks "perfect" but where everything is static, with no interactions or anything happening and NPCs with very limited scripted events.

Oblivion was really mind blowing for me when I first played it, and I'm sad that this many years later no other games (outside of skyrim and fallout) ever gave me this feeling again. It's a really special and immersive feeling, there's something about it that make it feel more alive than in other games.
It feels like NPCs in these games kind of have their own consciousness, I mean they might be dumb consciousness, but it's for me better than just pre scripted npcs that won't ever surprise you.

There's something very special about the formula of the TES / Fallout games, it's very unique and I really wish to have more games like this, since they're the only ones making it, so I hope Starfield will provide the same feeling.
I don't understand what you mean, it's not like it's the towns of Red Dead Redemption 2, where everything moves.

The problem is how wooden and how bad the animation was in those games, it's so stiff and awkward, and their pathfinding is a mess. Fallout 4 NPCs were so awkward. Maybe back in the Oblivion days, it was alright, but not today. Just look at two NPCs fighting in Skyrim, see how comical it looks.

Larxia

I don't understand what you mean, it's not like it's the towns of Red Dead Redemption 2, where everything moves.

The problem is how wooden and how bad the animation was in those games, it's so stiff and awkward, and their pathfinding is a mess. Fallout 4 NPCs were so awkward. Maybe back in the Oblivion days, it was alright, but not today. Just look at two NPCs fighting in Skyrim, see how comical it looks.
RDR2 is indeed one of the rare games with impressive NPC AI (well, in the open world part, missions aren't as good on that point because they are more heavily scripted), but... to me it was still not as immersive as in Oblivion / Skyrim.

The fact that in these games every NPC (outside of some random bandits / guards) is UNIQUE, like with a unique name, a unique look, with specific daily tasks etc really make it feel more special. If you kill an NPC in RDR2, it will just be a random NPC that's dead, another will respawn instead, while in Elder Scrolls, if you kill an npc, he's dead forever, it will be a change in the world. It's a kind of "immersive sim" feeling that I don't get in other games.

I also find it interesting and fun how you can see random things happening in the world just because of what the NPCs decided to do, and not necesarily something that was pre scripted. Like you might encounter what seem like a random npc while traveling, but this npc will have a unique name, and you can follow him and see what he does and what happens during his travels, he might get into fights or do various stuff. Then much later, you might meet this npc again in a town, this time for a mission or whatever, and recognize him because you remember following him and seeing random events with him.

There are also a lot of events that can happen in the world without you having to be there as a spectator for them to happen, the npcs and the world live by themselves without the need of the player. You can for example in Oblivion help a paranoid NPC who thinks everyone is against him, and depending how you end the quest, you can decide to tell him that someone specific want to hurt him, and the quest ends there. It can simply ends there and you can leave and that's it, but if you decide to follow this NPC, you will be able to see what he does, he will search for that person you mentioned, might break into the house to kill him or another way, and it's something that can happen off screen, like a lot of stuff in that game.

It's less impressive at first glance compared to RDR 2 which is filled with much more NPC, everything is moving everywhere, but it's to me a lot more immersive in its depth, because everything is unique and has an impact. These games feel like huge scale immersive sims and that's something I really enjoy about them.

Bragr

Banned
RDR2 is indeed one of the rare games with impressive NPC AI (well, in the open world part, missions aren't as good on that point because they are more heavily scripted), but... to me it was still not as immersive as in Oblivion / Skyrim.

The fact that in these games every NPC (outside of some random bandits / guards) is UNIQUE, like with a unique name, a unique look, with specific daily tasks etc really make it feel more special. If you kill an NPC in RDR2, it will just be a random NPC that's dead, another will respawn instead, while in Elder Scrolls, if you kill an npc, he's dead forever, it will be a change in the world. It's a kind of "immersive sim" feeling that I don't get in other games.

I also find it interesting and fun how you can see random things happening in the world just because of what the NPCs decided to do, and not necesarily something that was pre scripted. Like you might encounter what seem like a random npc while traveling, but this npc will have a unique name, and you can follow him and see what he does and what happens during his travels, he might get into fights or do various stuff. Then much later, you might meet this npc again in a town, this time for a mission or whatever, and recognize him because you remember following him and seeing random events with him.

There are also a lot of events that can happen in the world without you having to be there as a spectator for them to happen, the npcs and the world live by themselves without the need of the player. You can for example in Oblivion help a paranoid NPC who thinks everyone is against him, and depending how you end the quest, you can decide to tell him that someone specific want to hurt him, and the quest ends there. It can simply ends there and you can leave and that's it, but if you decide to follow this NPC, you will be able to see what he does, he will search for that person you mentioned, might break into the house to kill him or another way, and it's something that can happen off screen, like a lot of stuff in that game.

It's less impressive at first glance compared to RDR 2 which is filled with much more NPC, everything is moving everywhere, but it's to me a lot more immersive in its depth, because everything is unique and has an impact. These games feel like huge scale immersive sims and that's something I really enjoy about them.
While I also enjoy having individuals with different personalities, what it becomes in the game is not that special to me. Having different names is easy, it's just a name generator, and the personalities are just people walking in different directions with different colors on their shirts. I think another thing that bothers me is how too many of the buildings look so similar, the cities are so devoid of personality, it's the nature areas that I think work the best in these games.

There is also a feel of random generation with these characters like they have an algorithm that just spouts out a few different individuals that all feel like they are just copies of each other with slight variations.

And again, they are animated so badly they all look like planks moving about, there are just too many issues with pathfinding and dumb voice lines pupping in randomly that it feels too unnatural. For me.

Now I still love these games for the discovery and exploration, but the NPC elements need a massive rework I think.

When it comes to individual NPCs, The Witcher 3 is the industry leader here. There, you meet characters that have completely different personalities and ambitions, they will operate outside of the player actions and move along with the story. I think there is more thought behind Triss in The Witcher 3 than every character in Skyrim and Oblivion put together.

I’m clearly gonna like this game, Bethesda never has blown me away graphically or with combat/travel mechanics. If the combat is fallout level or better and it’s a genuine Bethesda game (fallout 4 or earlier) in space I’m gonna be in.

Top Bottom