• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New studio in Sweden formed by ex-DICE devs to make RPGs

SantaC

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/wayfinder-games-and-the-ex-dice-devs-trying-to-shake-up-rpgs

"I know that DICE will forever make shooters, but [I asked the group] if we could do anything, what would we do?," recalls Dennis Brännvall, previously creative director at DICE. "Everyone was like, 'We'd make RPGs because that's what we love, that's what we grew up with, that's what we play.' So that's what we wanted to do.

"We felt there are really good RPGs [made] in Eastern Europe and some are now popping up in the UK, but no one really in Northern Europe or Scandinavia [are making them]. We want to build the next great RPG studio in Northern Europe."

This is what led them to form Wayfinder Games, a brand new studio that emerges from stealth today.

Dennis is a good guy. He interacted with the community on twitter and turned battlefront 2 around

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
As hinted above, Brännvall says the game will be an online fantasy RPG in a persistent world and built around co-operative experiences. However, he teases that cooperation will not always rely on players being online at the same time.
Dragon's Dogma pawn system kinda worked like that. It was like "indirect cooperation".
I think game mechanics that allow for some sort of (optional) online cooperation can sometimes result in interesting ideas (like in Dark Souls as well)

"We are looking at work-life balance as this thing where previously many gurus were saying you have to separate life and work but we think of it as the opposite – life is life and sometimes you work [and] sometimes you don't work.
Yeah, it's going to fail.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Wish them luck, RPGs are neat and we need more actual RPGs and less "look, this is an RPG because you have items and also level up" like some modern devs want us to believe.

SantaC

Dragon's Dogma pawn system kinda worked like that. It was like "indirect cooperation".
I think game mechanics that allow for some sort of (optional) online cooperation can sometimes result in interesting ideas (like in Dark Souls as well)

Yeah, it's going to fail.
Good for him to finally ditch shooters

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
RPGs of 2010s? Or RPGs of 2000s? RPGs today are just third person action games with some stats painfully shoehorned into them for the most part.
Whenever someone calls Horizon an RPG I swear I die a little bit on the inside.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Isnt this like the third studio opened consisting of ex DICE devs?. It makes you wonder how many veteran Battlefield devs are actually left at DICE, no wonder they seem incapable of getting back to that Battlefield 3 and 4 brilliance.

Top Bottom