• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New System Shock remake demo on steam

Verchod

Watching the video comparing the two versions, unity and unreal, I think I prefer the unity one. Also in that video, the first human type enemy you see looks better animated in the unity demo than in the unreal version, certainly it's walking animation looks more interesting.

Yea, big improvement to the look. They had bloom on the Unity version way too tolerant, so it made everything washed out.
Unreal versions have a more consistent style and overall more contrast, which I like.
Only thing that's better in the unity version is smoke. And there doesn't seem to be character shadows in the new demo for some reason...

Only thing that's better in the unity version is smoke. And there doesn't seem to be character shadows in the new demo for some reason...
Maybe the only gripe I have is that the high contrast and more saturated look makes every room look kind of the same.

Must’ve been an absolute pain to transfer the project to Unreal, though.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

In some ways I maybe miss the very different lighting and atmospherics of the unity version (though the newer versions are a lot cleaner) but they've really done a lot on the 2023 version to break up the blocky level design that still has that Wolfenstein effect in the older demos. Makes the station feel like more of a real place.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
So the BETA for backers started but we still have no specific release date. Will it be the end of March or do we expect another delay?

Buggy Loop

So the BETA for backers started but we still have no specific release date. Will it be the end of March or do we expect another delay?

Yeah, goddamn, I’m not in the tier for beta either, sucks. They should have released it for all original kickstarter backers, WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SEVEN YEARS NOW!!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Is that beta the full game? Or is the medical bay yet once again?

I'd be more confident on this month's release if it was the former.

Con-Z-epT

Going by some Reddit posts the shipping for backer "rewards" are happening. Seems like the game will come out soon. Feedback from the BETA seems also positive and suggest a fairly polished game with just some minor bugs.

raduque

I never really played the original System Shock, but I played the hell out of SS2. First game that actually scared me.

phant0m

Going by some Reddit posts the shipping for backer "rewards" are happening. Seems like the game will come out soon. Feedback from the BETA seems also positive and suggest a fairly polished game with just some minor bugs.
Yes, I just got the email that it was my last chance to update my shipping address. This will be out in the next 60 days tops.

Can't believe it was 7 fucking years ago that I backed this. Estimated delivery: Dec 2017. lmfao.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

YES

OMG, felt like an eternity waiting for this game, just like this :

Con-Z-epT

New update on the Kickstarter page.

Hey Hackers,

It’s been a VERY busy few days. We wanted to share the latest round of announcements with our amazing community.

ANNOUNCEMENT #1: More Closed Beta Keys For More Backers

You asked and we listened.

For the backers that spent $50 or more combined between Kickstarter and Backerkit, you will be automatically included in the latest round of keys for System Shock.

A big shout out to Backerkit Support for helping us coordinate this on the backend. This decision will add over 1,500 new people that will receive access to the Closed Beta. This alone is amazing! We can’t wait for you to play it and share your feedback with our dev team.

If you fall into this category of backers, you will be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to obtain your copy of the Closed Beta of System Shock.

ANNOUNCEMENT #2: The Closed Beta Has Been Updated

As of last night, we launched the a new version of the Closed Beta with the following fixes outlined in the changelog below:

Major Fixes

Fixed crash for Hard Difficulty Wire Puzzles
Fix for Dying after Exiting Cyberspace on Hard Difficulty
Cyberspace Software Pickups are now correctly saved
Several Hardware energy draining issues fixed
Fixed crash when destroying CPU Nodes
Fix for game being Paused when loading a save

Minor Fixes

Logistics lifts will no longer open under the player
Enemy spawns have been rebalanced on each level
Biometer tooltip will now zero out over time
Fix for Shotgun not switching ammo types
Fixed Automap bug where the icons appear incorrectly
Autobombs explode further away from the Hacker now
Power Stations will now charge while on other levels
Items in the Inventory should never be placed outside of the Inventory bounds
Disable VR and OpenXR settings by default

So what are you waiting for?! Get in there and go take down some mutants!

ANNOUNCEMENT #3: The Robb Waters Paintings Are Almost Here

The original concept artist for System Shock, Robb Waters, has given us a special sneak peek at the paintings that he has been working on for the few lucky backers that took the leap and backed at the Shodan’s Pet tier.

Your one-of-a-kind signed original paintings are on the way.

That’s all for now!

- Team Nightdive Studios

Last edited:
Top Bottom