• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales from the Borderlands - Official Gameplay Reveal

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

YOUR FIRST, IN-DEPTH LOOK AT NEW TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS!

Familiarize yourself with playable characters Anu, Octavio, and Fran in this nearly 20 minute long gameplay clip.

In this reveal, our three lovable losers must travel through the sewers of Promethea, racing against Tediore to open a dormant Vault. As they figure out a way past the Tediore guards, they must also battle for honor and glory in a Vaultlanders duel, with QTEs deciding the winner of glorious plastic combat!

And as usual in the Borderlands universe, all hell breaks loose when they find the Vault.

Tangerine

Looks visually alright. Maybe I'm getting overly sensitive to anything that could be remotely perceived as woke these days... But this seems like more saints row woke BS to me. I dunno.

The characters and the dialogue and jokes are all shit. That's my initial thoughts on what we've seen so far at least. A shame. I would like to be proved wrong obviously.

Agent X

I think it looks good so far. I was concerned that watching a nearly 20 minute video would spoil the story, but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue here.

I've got no qualms about the characters, either. I've seen some complaints that there aren't enough returning characters, but you never know...maybe there are more characters that they don't want to reveal at this time. It's best to keep some of the good stuff secret, so that players can be surprised later.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

New Tales from the Borderlands is available now on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and PC (Steam and Epic Game Store).

Time to MAKE MAYHEM YOUR BUSINESS! Jump into the lives of three new lovable losers!

Control underdogs Anu, Octavio, and Fran, on the worst day of their lives. Tediore is invading, their start-up’s in trouble, and the very fate of the universe could be at stake! Fight back against exploitation and corporate greed in this narrative-driven adventure.

💖 THE UNDERDOG STORY OF THREE LOVABLE NOBODIES
Decide the fates of altruistic scientist Anu, her ambitious, "streetwise" brother Octavio, and the fierce, frogurt-slinging Fran. With nothing left to lose and everything to gain, you'll claw and con your way through this thrilling five-part story full of gun-toting goons, otherworldly beasts, and delicious tacos.

🎥 AN EXTRAORDINARY CINEMATIC ADVENTURE
The Borderlands aren't just home to Vault Hunters, psychos, and weapons-corp CEOs—they're full of downtrodden, intrepid civilians just trying to get by. With a host of returning and fresh faces, including an assassin bot with comedic aspirations and a less-murderous-than-usual bandit, this unforgettable tale is sure to delight fans new and old.

🎮 YOUR CHOICES SHAPE THE OUTCOME
The decisions you make determine how your story ends. Whether it's Anu's vision of a universe that markets more than weapons, Octavio's dreams of fame and fortune, or Fran's frosty plot for revenge—their success or failure depends on you.

Fuz

Banned
Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

okay, i realize that one person's 'try hard' is another person's 'witty rapport'. that said, & as someone who really enjoyed the first tales from the borderland game, i have no interest whatsoever in this kidult embellished one...

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Looks visually alright. Maybe I'm getting overly sensitive to anything that could be remotely perceived as woke these days... But this seems like more saints row woke BS to me. I dunno.

The characters and the dialogue and jokes are all shit. That's my initial thoughts on what we've seen so far at least. A shame. I would like to be proved wrong obviously.
Gearbox has been trash for years so... No surprise here

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Bragr

Banned
I don't understand how they manage to make every character unlikable to this degree.

The first one was great, but this is unappealing in the worst way.

It's kind of as if people who enjoy purple mohawks and face piercings tried to make their dream characters, and they end up being the only ones who like them.

Fbh

Reviews are all over the place.
It has a 71 on Metacritic and reviews go from "If you loved the first one this is a must play!!" to "if you loved the first one you'll hate it"

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
I don't understand how they manage to make every character unlikable to this degree.

The first one was great, but this is unappealing in the worst way.

It's kind of as if people who enjoy purple mohawks and face piercings tried to make their dream characters, and they end up being the only ones who like them.
Because
think about it GIF by Robert E Blackmon

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This shit is so obnoxious, holy shit

And stop calling every shit "woke" it's really a shield for these companies to then cry that ((fascist)) don't like their content, instead of go just for the obvious truth that some blogger wrote this in Starbucks caffe and that the work is terrible.

Skifi28

Reviews are all over the place.
It has a 71 on Metacritic and reviews go from "If you loved the first one this is a must play!!" to "if you loved the first one you'll hate it"
We'll find out for ourselves. It's a perfect gamepass/PS plus game and I imagine we'll see it there sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Contemporary game designers.

As I stated time ago, the guys that were socially awkaward and spent all their teens and more locked in their rooms, drawing and writing... where do you think they are now?

Reactions: Isa
This shit is so obnoxious, holy shit

And stop calling every shit "woke" it's really a shield for these companies to then cry that ((fascist)) don't like their content, instead of go just for the obvious truth that some blogger wrote this in Starbucks caffe and that the work is terrible.
But that the truth, the trio is a group of 2 minorities and 1 disabled female white girl with rainbow tatoos (because now they can't accept to add a white men protagonist...)

M1chl

But that the truth, the trio is a group of 2 minorities and 1 disabled female white girl with rainbow tatoos (because now they can't accept to add a white men protagonist...)
They still can be funny you know, it does not really matter if it's written good, problem nowadays is not representation, but fucking horrible writers

Hurahn7

Banned
Contemporary game designers.

As I stated time ago, the guys that were socially awkaward and spent all their teens and more locked in their rooms, drawing and writing... where do you think they are now?
Those are the same type of people who made the games you do like.

M1chl

It's a part of the problem
Well I just want to be entertained, for me these things largely does not matter, growing up the representation in movies has always been there in USA media, so just meh, but whaat I can't overlook is terrible job at writing department, when you actively cringe overtime they open their mouth, it does not matter which representation it is.

For me anyway...

Hurahn7

Banned
There weren't crazy wokes in the 80s-90s.
Culture shifted.
OK first off, that's not what woke means. Second, you are correct. The culture has shifted. Just like it always has and will always do.
I don't know, yall say the first one is good, but I thought it was terrible. I checked and I only have one save from July 2018. Now I'm curious. I'll replay that one, buy the new one and see how I feel about them. I really wish we could get more granular details on who hates/likes these games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gearbox's New Tales from the Borderlands successfully recaptures the charm and humor of Telltale's original adventure-game spinoff of the Borderlands first-person shooter series, but its attempts to stretch out the gameplay and the story don't fare as well. Reviewed on PC by Ryan McCaffrey.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Picked this up on a whim on switch as it was on sale on Amazon. Im enjoying it. Already on chapter 3 and I’ve had some legit laugh out loud moments. Looks and runs great on switch!

Top Bottom