• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Terminator: Dark Fate images show the main characters.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
http://collider.com/terminator-dark-fate-images/

Director Tim Miller: “What makes or breaks a movie is whether I care about the characters when everything starts exploding. I’m sure every action filmmaker says that, but I did really try and focus on the relationships of these characters to one another. And the fact that Linda came back makes this particular Terminator fresh, this story could only continue with her in the role of Sarah Conner. That’s the most important thing for me,” said Miller. “Linda reinvented this character in a way that both honors who she was before and brings something new to the role.”

terminator-dark-fate-arnold-schwarzenegger-slice-1.jpg

terminator-dark-fate-linda-hamilton-hi-res-1-600x338.jpg

terminator-dark-fate-natalia-reyes-hi-res-1-600x338.jpg

terminator-dark-fate-mackenzie-davis-hi-res-1.jpg

terminator-dark-fate-gabriel-luna-hi-res-1-600x337.jpg

terminator-dark-fate-diego-boneta-hi-res-1-600x337.jpg

Skyr

Here we go. The supposedly direct sequel to my favourite movie of all time.

Well the pics certainly look better than the first promo shot they release which was simply awful.

I will continue to keep my expectations at a minimum. I was burned too many times with the other sequels.

Terminator always has a warm place in my heart.

I honestly didn’t hate Salvation, and Genesis was at least somewhat entertaining even if it stopped making sense by that point.

T2 and T1 are icons of my youth. I’ll give this movie a series a chance at unfucking itself

iconmaster

Banned
The article spells it out perfectly:

nothing escapes the larger truth that when you push the story past T2, you automatically negate T2. Either you held off the apocalypse or you didn’t, and every sequel means the resolution of Judgment Day is “The apocalypse has been postponed.”

I'm not sure you can make a sequel to Terminator 2, and the attempts so far bear this out.

kunonabi

Yeah, not digging the new people so I'll probably skip it since I'm mostly just a fan of the first movie anyway.

Last edited:

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I just want an all-future John connor terminator future. No time traveling shit. Just skynet vs humanity

Sub_Level

I like that they got a latin cast considering this is gonna take place in LA or Mexico.

You can see the progression of the region between movies, the different clothes styles, the technology, and in this case the demographics. Cool stuff.

I don't really have much hope for this but we'll see.

Though even if it sucks I'll end up wasting my life watching it on netflix or whatever service at some point anyway.

The premise and basis of the “Terminator Universe” is awesome and seems like it could offer lots of stories to tell but honestly the time travel aspect always muddles things in most sci-fi endeavors. If the series continues to focus on John and Sarah Connor it feels like there’s only so much you can do without making T2 irrelevant and basically retconned, which is essentially what T3 kinda did, from the little I remember anyway (I remember the female terminator was hot as fuck).

It’s a narrative slippery slope, especially if you wanna keep serious, like Salvation attempted (and I didn’t hate it) or just go “fuck it” like Genysis did, and that movie was whatever.

cryptoadam

Banned
How? Genysis failed. T3 failed, Salvation failed.

Can they just let it rest.

T1 was a great horror movie wrapped in sci-fi flavour. Arnie became a superstar and it was an original and great piece of work (twilight zone similarties withstanding)

T2 was the ultimate blockbuster and turned Arnie into the top Movie star in the world. A great action movie that took the concept of the first one and expanded on it and was a true sequel.

Thats it, lightning in a bottle is done. Come up with new ideas.

Anyways can't wait for whatever wokeness this movie is going for.

xrnzaaas

The expectations for this movie are enormous. I don't expect a miracle, but I still hope that it'll be better than everything since T3.

NickFire

Trying to keep up with the timelines of this franchise was hard enough. Now cyborgs age just like humans and grow old man facial hair? I suppose that could be true, but short of phenomenal reviews I won't be bothering with this one.

Tesseract

Banned
this is what you get when you shit away all of your goodwill with brain dead sequels by absolutely average writers and directors

i hope linda is getting paid for this, and i hope she doesn't regret it

Skyr

I wish Cameron wouldn’t have lost his mojo somewhere along the way. The man was a true visionary in times of abyss, aliens, t1, t2.
And now he’s doing 4 fucking avatar movies in a row. What the fuck happened?

I wish Cameron wouldn’t have lost his mojo somewhere along the way. The man was a true visionary in times of abyss, aliens, t1, t2.

The Abyss is such a good movie that rarely gets mentioned anymore

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It wouldn’t have mattered, Terminator showcased so much in the first two films that nobody, Cameron himself, didn’t know what the hell to do with it. The series was born to only be two movies. I give them credit for trying to keep the series alive.

I didn't realize Arnold would be back (but he always told us he would)

So I'm assuming this ignores everything after 2? It always feel like cheating when Hollywood does that, but you really can't blame them in the case of Terminator, the whole continuity is turbo fucked after 2.

Here's hoping this winds up being good.

Sub_Level

Its not really cheating cus its a time travel story to begin with. Multiple timelines have been a thing since the first movie.

T3, Salvation, and Genisys all happened. But they are only 3 timelines out of an infinite amount.

I know what you mean, True Lies was his last great movie.

But then Titanic happened and afterward he just became for lack a better world "wussified", the macho, badass edge his movies had (which to be fair was applied to both male and female characters) was lost.

The only reason I’m at all curious to see how this turns out is because of Linda Hamilton. I don’t think aging or bad screen writing is going to slow down her great acting.

Breakage

There's nothing that suggests these screens are from a Terminator film. Where's the cold, tech horror bleakness?
Everything after T2 has been terrible, and I'm sure this latest entry will continue the trend.
For me Terminator's decline sort of mirrors Metal Gear Solid's: things started going down hill after the second instalment.

Top Bottom