• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher Game in the works

Kazdane

Oh, very curious about where they'll go with the next Witcher game. This is one Monday I can definitely say it's not terrible hah!

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
there were always going back to witcher lol. its official now but you would need to be an idiot to think they were not going back to witcher for their next game. the cyberpunk sequel will come after “witcher 4”
nothing is ever set in stone, had CP been perfect, perhaps not, it already sold a ton even with all its issues

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nothing is ever set in stone, had CP been perfect, perhaps not, it already sold a ton even with all its issues
nah, even if cyberpunk was perfect they’d still go witcher. its the most popular its ever been. best working on a new witcher game will its hot. if they went with cyberpunk again we’d be looking at another witcher in 10+ years from now. but that will be cyberpunk.

GymWolf

Hopefully the main campaign is gonna be more hos\b&w tier.

Vanilla was ok with some sidequest standing out, searching for cirilla and the skeletors villains were not exactly super exciting.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Wasn't this leaked during the investor meeting last year?

No. Pre-made character or bust, this is not Elder Scrolls.

Yup.
They already said that the next Witcher would have a character creator. We all know this game (and all open world games) will ape Elden Ring in some ways, which can only be a good thing.

Oh no, no Epic trash store exclusivity...

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Why bother announcing it like this? Wouldn’t it have been better to get a good ways into development and then unleash a proper gameplay trailer and then drop that it releases the following year?

I’m hoping this isn’t 4 or 5 years from release…

Dynasty8

Definitely excited since TW3 is one of my favorite games ever, but also don't think we'll see this anytime soon. I wish companies would announce these games when they're a couple years away from officially releasing. Cyberpunk should have been revealed around 2018-2019, it wouldn't have received the same amount of pressure.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Weird of them to letting go of RED Engine. I guess it showed its limits in Cyberpunk but it has also allow them to do things that are not really present in any other game.
Not weird at all. Smart as fuck. Developing RED Engine in parallel with their game was a disaster that added years to Cyberpunk's development, and left the engine itself full of hacky fixes rather than a solid technical foundation. They fucked their engine and their game. It's the same shit that sank about 10 years of Valve releases.

So they could either rebuild RED Engine from the ground up, and delay most of the real work on Witcher 4, or they could use an incredibly mature, well-supported engine, with a huge amount of resources to help them through any technical issues. It's not even a cost issue, in any real sense; Unreal Engine will more than pay for itself in dev costs.
How far is this? 5 years at best?
Hard to say. Don't expect a similar timeline to CP2077. Unreal will speed things up a lot, although they will have to re-train staff.
Why bother announcing it like this?
Recruitment, most likely.

Last edited:

Fbh

That's cool I guess but this sounds like it will be launching in 5-6 years.
Hopefully they learned from Cyberpunk and they'll stay relatively quiet about this until it's close to release and they can show and talk about stuff that's actually representative of the final product. The moment they start with the " in engine" bullshit and devs promising features and mechanics 4 years in advance the hype is dead.

Skifi28

Lessons learned from Cyberpunk: zero. Stop trying to build hype 10 years earlier, it won't go well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fuz

spons

Gold Member
Lessons learned from Cyberpunk: zero. Stop trying to build hype 10 years earlier, it won't go well.
They at least learned not to use their raggedy-ass engine anymore. They won't need 10 years for this considering they can re-use a lot of software used in the process of developing the game.

nani17

are in a big trouble
OK but after cyberpunk and doing it on a new engine I won't be rushing out to buy it when it launches in 2026 🤣

GymWolf

Not weird at all. Smart as fuck. Developing RED Engine in parallel with their game was a disaster that added years to Cyberpunk's development, and left the engine itself full of hacky fixes rather than a solid technical foundation. They fucked their engine and their game. It's the same shit that sank about 10 years of Valve releases.

So they could either rebuild RED Engine from the ground up, and delay most of the real work on Witcher 4, or they could use an incredibly mature, well-supported engine, with a huge amount of resources to help them through any technical issues. It's not even a cost issue, in any real sense; Unreal Engine will more than pay for itself in dev costs.

Hard to say. Don't expect a similar timeline to CP2077. Unreal will speed things up a lot, although they will have to re-train staff.

Recruitment, most likely.
Pretty sure that i never wrote the second quote...

Keihart

Maybe by relase, the game will be transformed in a frog factions sequel, i mean, it could happen, last time CDPR announced a game they didn't have shit done.

Top Bottom