• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Themes, Paypal Payments, and A Gold-Exclusive Surprise

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
New dark theme is definitely a great addition but I'm gonna be honest, I'm not a fan that everything is aligned on the left.
It feels very unnatural to read on my monitor with so much empty space in the middle.

zFUPw2S.jpg

Maybe I need to get used to it but an option to stick back the navigation menu on the left and recenter the threads would be great.
We could also add a giant vertical banner ad to balance things out!

Kadve

New dark theme is definitely a great addition but I'm gonna be honest, I'm not a fan that everything is aligned on the left.
It feels very unnatural to read on my monitor with so much empty space in the middle.

zFUPw2S.jpg

Maybe I need to get used to it but an option to stick back the navigation menu on the left and recenter the threads would be great.
Agree. Looks stretched.

decisions

Huge improvement on mobile. On desktop too, however I agree that on desktop the left-alignment is weird and feels a bit outdated.

BeardGawd

Banned
I like that you guys continue keeping things fresh. No complaints.

I hope this is just the beginning of the Gold exclusive reactions tho! Give us like 1 new one a year or something! Or change out a game specific one to coincide with major releases.

Saber

Gold Member
Not sure this improved my phone experience, since I still have to flip it to see notifications. Well in resume...didn't change for me at all but great stuff anyway.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Redesign looks fantastic.

Only thing still on my wishlist is a top-of-page page number navigator for long threads
If you click the heading at the top with the page number (for example right now at the top of this page it says "3 of 3"), then it will open up a dialog where you can type in which page number you'd like to go to.

BeardGawd

Banned
If you click the heading at the top with the page number (for example right now at the top of this page it says "3 of 3"), then it will open up a dialog where you can type in which page number you'd like to go to.
Nice but it looks like it has to be done in Landscape for mobike but nice that the option is there!

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
What is that install app section in the images I can’t find that option
Cwiy8uO.jpg

Last edited:

Banned
0b3Jhah.png

clicking on the last post doesn't actually bring you to the newest post in a thread anymore... this has to be a bug/oversight right?
EDIT: strike that, I'm a dumb dumb, it was moved to the right lol

also, some feedback on the new style, IMO that grey outline on the thread title text looks like ASS in dark mode
3HjrwnV.png

Last edited:
The theme suddenly switched to Lite theme as I was browsing between topics and for a second I thought I got banned :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LOL

I don’t think you ever said anything worth getting banned for. Never saw you call other people pedos or start fights with other members here. Everyone has the right to a personal preference and an opinion here. Never saw anyone get banned for that unless they purely console war,

Chittagong

Gold Member

Amazing! I wonder if it was always there :D

FingerBang

Great but do not EVER put me back in light them or I'll leave.

What is that install app section in the images I can’t find that option
Cwiy8uO.jpg
It's a progressive web app. Basically you can install it and use the website like it was a native app, without opening the browser. It's a cool thing, but probably overkill for a website like NeoGaf.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
Just one minor issue, when I load the site the top banner is slightly cut. The thread width is fine, just the banner like this:

lDWQ45S.jpg

So I have to pinch out to zoom slightly to see the full banner

Yld4kG1.jpg

But then it has a weird cutoff and the thread width is slightly smaller than the screen
This should be fixed now.

We have identified another similar issue for people with small phone resolutions (<340px wide) and are identifying a fix for this as well that should be available soon.

SJRB

Gold Member
Your avatar in the thread list. To indicate a thread you've started, your avatar will now replace the GAF logo on the left. This will make it easy to find threads which you're the OP.

uX91SNU.png

Additionally, to the right of a thread now you'll see your avatar for threads you've posted in. This will also make it easy to quickly identify which threads you've participated in before.

Previously it would show the avatar on the GAF logo on the left if users posted in the thread, right?

Any chance you could switch this around to how it was? So posted in a thread = avatar on the left, created the thread = avatar on the right? People post more than they create threads, I always found it very useful to quickly see which threads I posted in.

edit: on Classic Dark I don't see an avatar either way.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Previously it would show the avatar on the GAF logo on the left if users posted in the thread, right?

Any chance you could switch this around to how it was? So posted in a thread = avatar on the left, created the thread = avatar on the right? People post more than they create threads, I always found it very useful to quickly see which threads I posted in.

edit: on Classic Dark I don't see an avatar either way.
Fair point that most people don't create many threads, so swapping this for threads you've posted in would be a more useful visual cue. We'll consider it. Thanks for the feedback!

FYI, just noticed that when you hover over and avatar now it doesn't show the profile background. Not that big a deal really, just a heads up if that was accidental.

Reizo Ryuu

I personally think that if the dark sections were a bit more grey, like in-between how it is now and the previous modern theme, it would be perfect; I feel it's a bit too dark atm, too much contrast.

Pantz

Gold Member

zFUPw2S.jpg

57Hi8wI.jpg

It is quite left on an ultrawide monitor. Might just need time to get used to it.

Have some issues with the new design/theme.

Note these apply to desktop use. I never access the site on mobile/tablet.

• Left side menu cannot be pinned (aka present at all times).
  • No max width options available (so everything stretches across the entire 21:9 screen)
  • It still cuts off longer usernames on posts and puts them on two lines
  • Minor grip by why is "Watched Threads" on the top bar called "Sub"? It's inconsistent.
Yes you could whip up a script in TamperMonkey or something to probably fix some of these but it would be nice if you didn't have to.

Top Bottom