• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Themes, Paypal Payments, and A Gold-Exclusive Surprise

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Austin Powers Love GIF

TLZ

Banned
I like this one better. Nice easy layout of everything. Very tidy.

Can gold members have an extra set of gold reactions instead of just 1?

The theme suddenly switched to Lite theme as I was browsing between topics and for a second I thought I got banned :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lmao. Same 😦

Last edited:

plushyp

Hope you all like the new site design! I was never satisfied with Modern and leaned toward the Classic theme ever since we launched Modern a few years back, so the goal here was to take the best aspects of both Classic and Modern and combine them into one uber progeny to rule them all. We have the Classic typeface and thread list with many of the Modern aesthetic elements, but tweaked for improved user experience across desktop, tablet, and mobile browser types.

Special attention was paid to the header navigation, with cleaned up quick links so that you can click between the main forum sections and also your watched threads, trending threads, and new posts, without extra menu diving.

And of course we wanted to give some special incentives to our Gold members, so we included a new Gold-exclusive reaction to have fun with.

A PayPal option was a common request, especially for our non-US members, so that's been added.

I'm sure we've missed a few things here and there, so feedback is welcome and we'll try to address any issues.

Thanks!
Day 999 of asking for a sad smiley reaction.

It's short for "subscriptions," which an alternate name for the "watched threads" page.
I'm aware of what it means, I'm just wondering why it's not consistent.

Want to call it "Subs" at the top? Then call it "Subscriptions" on the left menu. Or if you want it to be "Watched Threads" on the left menu, then call it "Watched" or something at the top.

Edit: Here is a quick and dirty edit (via Dev tools) on what I think would look better.

8uHiI8Z.png

BZ5Zxik.png

I think centered looks so much better and is more easily usable. There can be a lower bound on the width so someone with a smaller screen, it'll still fill the entire page. There are a number of ways it could be done.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I forgot what the 100ppp meant as it used to be standard.

I don't know if that's a Gold feature but I turned it on.

100ppp always the true measure of a big thread. None of this 50 page thread with only 50ppp.

The various Patreon tiers should have their own perks. The easiest way would be to add a unique reaction to each tier so that people can flex their supporter levels. Maybe add gif avatars to the higher tiers too (are gif avatars technically feasible?).

Loving the new dark theme btw.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Is the "posts per page" feature new? I've searched for this but I've never seen this before.

So glad I can set it to 100 posts per page instead of the default 50.

100 POSTS SUPERIOR
50 POSTS INFERIOR

VN1X

Banned
Guys stop switching themes, you're making the site implode!

I demand my premium shitpostings to be active 24/7!!!1

I've always been partial to the dark classic theme, which to me, was almost perfect. Good to see that the modern theme is finally adapting the same design philosophy. Might even tempt me to switch were it not for these small issues :messenger_winking:

y90ntbA.jpg

Where is my gaudy "gold" logo? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

bF0xSRh.jpg

What is up with that aggressively orange bottom bar? This is an outright crime against dark theme users. Makes me dread scrolling all the way down ;)

PSibrI4.jpg
x4aRPGe.jpg

Forsaking the breadcrumb for these ugly round buttons is not cool. The ugly round buttons really need to go!

6SWkP0q.jpg

51jS4yw.jpg

The separation between posts is a bit too aggressive. Quotes are turquoise/green instead of GAF orange? The background is a tad too dark. Less contrast is much easier on the eyes.

Also the "scroll up" button seems to be gone?

All in all it's cool tho, glad the overly playful modern redesign is gone.

Deserves a happy Pikachu from me.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I won't lie I was negativity surprised when I visited the site yesterday, all the fonts looked squeezed compared to previous layout, but after a while, man it's so good, especially the nav bar.

Star-Lord

And of course we wanted to give some special incentives to our Gold members, so we included a new Gold-exclusive reaction to have fun with.

A PayPal option was a common request, especially for our non-US members, so that's been added. We also have a Patreon supporter option now.
In regards to Gold membership, I still think a tiered system should be introduced, along the lines of Plus, Gold, and Platinum. The higher the tier you are on, the more benefits you receive as a member. I'd happily pay £6.99 a month to help keep the forum running and give me little bonuses. Just an idea, though, and I'll be supporting you through Patreon as soon as I get paid.

ZywyPL

Banned
What still bothers me the most is when you have someone on ignore list and that person is being quoted, when you want to see his post to get the reply's context it reveales all ignored posts on the page, which automatically scrolls the entire page and you lose the post from your sight, would be really great if when clicking on particular post it would unhide only that single post, whereas for unveiling everything on current page you'd have to use the option on the bottom of the page.

Also - whenever an ignored person gets permabanned he should automatically be removed from people's ignore list, freeing up the slot for potential future new candidates.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Also - whenever an ignored person gets permabanned he should automatically be removed from people's ignore list, freeing up the slot for potential future new candidates.
Do you have that many people on there? I mean, I have like two people on mine, and I'm not even sure if they're active anymore.

Pantz

Gold Member
One more little bug on the new themes both light and dark,
When posting or editing a post, there is no color highlight
rULmanz.jpg
or I guess the color might match the background, you can slightly see it in light mode.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the site was so bright i thought i had loaded up Elden Ring

DY4Dpph.jpg

i'm on my desktop now. the site is great on phone/tablet but on desktop it feels like there's a lot of wasted space. would be nice if there was an option to center the list of threads like RadioactiveLobster RadioactiveLobster showed in their post earlier:

I'm aware of what it means, I'm just wondering why it's not consistent.

Want to call it "Subs" at the top? Then call it "Subscriptions" on the left menu. Or if you want it to be "Watched Threads" on the left menu, then call it "Watched" or something at the top.

Edit: Here is a quick and dirty edit (via Dev tools) on what I think would look better.

8uHiI8Z.png

BZ5Zxik.png

I think centered looks so much better and is more easily usable. There can be a lower bound on the width so someone with a smaller screen, it'll still fill the entire page. There are a number of ways it could be done.

Last edited:

Bakkus

I'm not a fan of this revamp. Is there a way to centralize the post field a lot more like it used to be? And be able to permanently have the 3 lines in the upper left corner window visible?

clem84

Gold Member
I usually have the dark theme so I went back and forth a few times between classic dark and Neogaf dark and I prefer the new one. Well done.

ZywyPL

Banned
Do you have that many people on there? I mean, I have like two people on mine, and I'm not even sure if they're active anymore.
At one point I've reached the ignore list limit, but most of those console warriors are banned so whenever some new bumbass appears I don't have many slots left, so like I said, it would be nice if those permabanned users disappointed from people's vignore lists, because I'm sure as hell won't bgo back to reviewing who is banned from my list and who is still active.

Bakkus

Same. The old layout was a lot easier on the eyes and less. . .I dunno. . ."busy."
It honestly feels like going backwards here. Like, this is how forums were like in early 2010 and the one we had up until a few days ago was the new modern layout. Hopefully they see this criticism and give us the option.

Last edited:

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
We continue to tweak various aspects of the new themes - thanks everyone for your feedback.
  • There is now a small line separating sticky posts from non-sticky posts
  • The footer colors for light and dark themes have been swapped
  • Banned users will now show as banned in the thread list
  • A bug was fixed that caused banned users to appear as unbanned
  • A bug was fixed that caused the homepage icons to now show correctly
We are still investigating the following issues and are actively working to resolve them as soon as possible:
  • An issue exists where if stylized text is highlighted in the reply box, the highlighted color is incorrect and inconsistent
  • NeoGAF Gold members are seeing the default site logo, rather than the gold logo
  • Some larger advertisements are incorrectly covering elements on the page
  • Background covers are not showing on some users tooltips
  • Users with resolution set lower than 340 horizontal pixels are experiencing issues with the site navigation / page width scaling

Neys

Neo Member
The new dark theme is too "contrasty", also maybe too many color accents on everything ? Personnally I prefer that other website dark theme and structure on PC desktop, easier on the eyes, everything is centered, easier to read, my eyes aren't going from on side of the monitor to the other and this is on a 24 inch 1080p monitor about 2 feet away (?) depending on how I sit :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom