• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tomb Raider Collection Leaks Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new update to the ESRB's online database has revealed the rating for The Lara Croft Collection, believed to be a compilation re-release of both Lara Croft spinoffs. The compilation is referred to as a "collection of two action-adventure games" and given a T for Teen rating for mild blood, mild language, and violence. The update comes after developer Feral Interactive had gone mostly silent about the two games since their announcement in October 2021. The rating page does not reveal a release date for the collection, though its existence suggests the game's debut may be sooner than later.

lara-croft-collection-esrb-rating-t-teen.jpg

Kuranghi

This is most likely just a collection of the "Lara Croft..." games, Guardian of Light being fantastic and everyone who loves truly great games or especially puzzles games should play it, but Temple of Osiris is a pile of wank in comparison to it.

Franchise died with the PS1 and yet here we are.

I get what you're saying and theres an arugument to be made that the change from tile based to free movement removed something fundamental from the design. The first 3 are superb games (I hear The Last Revelation is also great but never played it) but its not all bad after that imo, Legend was good and Anniverary/Underworld were really great (though ofc Anni is a reimagining of 1 so thats a given).

Then Guardian of Light is actually superb, I loved that game, but Temple of Osiris was a pile, one of my biggest disappointments tbh.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Guardian of Light is a fantastic two-player experience. Had a ton of fun playing it with my cousin and getting almost all the achievements.

Temple of Osiris was a step back. Definitely fun, but not as finely designed and more action oriented.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Also somewhat relevant, this post on RPGCodex by user JarlFrank

If it's anything more than just the spin-offs, all they have to do is copy the Street Fighter 30th anniversary game and give us all of the options:

maxresdefault.jpg

sfz3-psp-menu.png

Last edited:
Several games, good to great Metascores and millions in sales say you are wrong.
His rebuttal is going to be in regards to the old school careful and precise platforming gameplay, not sales. To be fair to his point, that style of gameplay has yet to be revived or improved upon in any modern platformer, especially considering that the entire genre of platforming is currently on life support.

I kept thinking the precise platformer genre would be revived when Dark Souls blew up in popularity since they seem to kind of share a similar dna, but it never happened. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
His rebuttal is going to be in regards to the old school careful and precise platforming gameplay, not sales. To be fair to his point, that style of gameplay has yet to be revived or improved upon in any modern platformer, especially considering that the entire genre of platforming is currently on life support.

I kept thinking the precise platformer genre would be revived when Dark Souls blew up in popularity since they seem to kind of share a similar dna, but it never happened. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

You mean clunky and slow controls that have been improved upon many times? (Probably not)

The only thing that I'd really missing is that sense of exploration (which has been partially captured in some situations) And a lot of that came from being the first game like that.
I realize that the games have more emphasis on combat but there also less boring.

You mean clunky and slow controls that have been improved upon many times? (Probably not)

The only thing that I'd really missing is that sense of exploration (which has been partially captured in some situations) And a lot of that came from being the first game like that.
I realize that the games have more emphasis on combat but there also less boring.
I can't go into whether the games necessarily need combat or not because that just goes into personal opinion territory, but I will say that partly what made the older games exciting was not only that sense of adventure, but the other aspect you're forgetting was the thrilling feeling of careful platforming. That feeling of traps being around every corner, judging a jump to make sure that you could nail it, and nailing those more difficult jumps leading to secrets that helped you progress through the game better. The level design in addition to this made them pretty special experiences.

I'm not the best at explaining, but Tomb Raider 1-4 weren't like other platformers that tried to copy Mario in everything they did. There was a specific pacing to them that made you feel the pressure and weight of messing up a single jump. That was lost in the I.P.'s transition to the PS3/360 generation and then it was fully gone when the series started to become an Uncharted-like with the current big trilogy. There's an alternate reality here where the developers should have sat down and really looked at what made Tomb Raider what it was and improved on that specific formula, but now that space is open for someone else who might want to claim it one day.

You're right about the clunky and slow controls, and the reason you feel that way is because the subgenre never had a chance to improve and evolve past the PS1/Dreamcast generation(the generation of 3d games infancy) aside from two Legacy of Kain Raziel games, because no one else gave it a shot to do so. Again, it needed a dev to come in and stick to it and refine it, like Fromsoft did with Kings Field leading up to Souls games, or like what the new Doom devs did with Doom 2016, until it revived a subgenre and was solidified as it's own lane of difficult/precise platformers.

I'm a weirdo and love the heavy, super-precise controls in the old Core games. They're essentially like OG Prince of Persia in 3D and I find them really satisfying.

The atmosphere in those games is so good. I'd love a compilation of the first few. Last Revelation is excellent imo.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I really like the new trilogy. I’m sure I’m in the minority here but the games are fun. This leads me to believe there are more coming which I welcome

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
You're right about the clunky and slow controls, and the reason you feel that way is because the subgenre never had a chance to improve and evolve past the PS1/Dreamcast generation
One that comes to mind is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.
But they are few and far between.

Unfortunately Assassin's Creed casualized and dumbfied Sands of Time gameplay.

Yep, those are the top-down games... uh they're okay. Im glad they are at least getting a new release, nothing I would pick up again though.

THE DUCK

I can't go into whether the games necessarily need combat or not because that just goes into personal opinion territory, but I will say that partly what made the older games exciting was not only that sense of adventure, but the other aspect you're forgetting was the thrilling feeling of careful platforming. That feeling of traps being around every corner, judging a jump to make sure that you could nail it, and nailing those more difficult jumps leading to secrets that helped you progress through the game better. The level design in addition to this made them pretty special experiences.

I'm not the best at explaining, but Tomb Raider 1-4 weren't like other platformers that tried to copy Mario in everything they did. There was a specific pacing to them that made you feel the pressure and weight of messing up a single jump. That was lost in the I.P.'s transition to the PS3/360 generation and then it was fully gone when the series started to become an Uncharted-like with the current big trilogy. There's an alternate reality here where the developers should have sat down and really looked at what made Tomb Raider what it was and improved on that specific formula, but now that space is open for someone else who might want to claim it one day.

You're right about the clunky and slow controls, and the reason you feel that way is because the subgenre never had a chance to improve and evolve past the PS1/Dreamcast generation(the generation of 3d games infancy) aside from two Legacy of Kain Raziel games, because no one else gave it a shot to do so. Again, it needed a dev to come in and stick to it and refine it, like Fromsoft did with Kings Field leading up to Souls games, or like what the new Doom devs did with Doom 2016, until it revived a subgenre and was solidified as it's own lane of difficult/precise platformers.

Definately some things drastically different, I just hope all the things that the newer games do very well don't get list in the nostalgia and wanting them to be something else.

Definately some things drastically different, I just hope all the things that the newer games do very well don't get list in the nostalgia and wanting them to be something else.
That's fine, and to clarify what separates my thoughts from a few others here, is that I don't dislike the newer games. I had fun with the new trilogy and the isometic games as well and I think they're great expansions on what the property are. I'm only sad that they had to throw away the base gameplay of the original to do this and I feel there could have been a way to combine the old and new to make a game that would have ended up way better than Uncharted, and also be seen as a cult hit amongst people who enjoy more difficult gameplay(souls fans) since I do feel that there's an intersection that could exist between both.

Right now the only recent game that gave me the feeling I've discussed above was Elden Ring. There were moments in ER that reminded me of old Tomb Raider games, including taking calculated leaps of faith sometimes in order to reach secrets. The only issue is that the platforming mechanics in that game are a bit undercooked.

THE DUCK

That's fine, and to clarify what separates my thoughts from a few others here, is that I don't dislike the newer games. I had fun with the new trilogy and the isometic games as well and I think they're great expansions on what the property are. I'm only sad that they had to throw away the base gameplay of the original to do this and I feel there could have been a way to combine the old and new to make a game that would have ended up way better than Uncharted, and also be seen as a cult hit amongst people who enjoy more difficult gameplay(souls fans) since I do feel that there's an intersection that could exist between both.

Right now the only recent game that gave me the feeling I've discussed above was Elden Ring. There were moments in ER that reminded me of old Tomb Raider games, including taking calculated leaps of faith sometimes in order to reach secrets. The only issue is that the platforming mechanics in that game are a bit undercooked.
Someone should make an old school exploration based game like the old Tomb Raider, using ue5, can imagine how cool the tombs could look. (I know there was a concept video)

Good to know about elden ring, bought it but have only played about 15 mins so far......

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Having played some of the original run of titles and pieces of the reboot, I can safely say the best thing that came out of the Tomb Raider franchise is....

That Nine Inch Nails Song that was put on the Angelina Jolie TR movie soundtrack. Deep, it was called. Trent Reznor can't stand it and it's never been played live but come on

BLANK STARE
DISREPAIR
THERE'S A BIG-BLACK-HOLE
GONNA-EAT-ME-UP SOME-DAYYY

I have avoided this series from the beginning, but after playing through the Saturn original recently and finding it surprisingly fun, my interest in 2 and 3 is piqued.
If you liked the formula of the first game, 2 is fantastic but has too much (crappy) combat and 3 kind of went the other way again but is difficult to the point of feeling cheap and spiteful here and there.

Both are better in some aspects and worse in others than the original imo. The first one is the most balanced and "clear vision" of that formula I think.

Scotty W

Gold Member
If you liked the formula of the first game, 2 is fantastic but has too much (crappy) combat and 3 kind of went the other way again but is difficult to the point of feeling cheap and spiteful here and there.

Both are better in some aspects and worse in others than the original imo. The first one is the most balanced and "clear vision" of that formula I think.
I think I could tolerate it. I found the original to be a fun crappy game. As long as the sequels are near the same level of quality, the jank is almost endearing.

Edit: just checked; they put out FIVE Tomb Raider games for the PS1?!

Last edited:
I think I could tolerate it. I found the original to be a fun crappy game. As long as the sequels are near the same level of quality, the jank is almost endearing.

Edit: just checked; they put out FIVE Tomb Raider games for the PS1?!
I don't think there's anything crappy about it. Quite the contrary, game was an achievement for its time and did a lot of truly unique stuff. I guess with modern goggles on it looks that way but eh.

Yeah, they churned these the fuck out. The Last Revelation (TR4) is probably the most ambitious and overall fun as far as I recall? I replayed it maybe five, or more, years ago and was surprised by how much it innovated for the series considering how quickly they cranked these out.

Also on topic, I highly doubt they'd ever consider releasing a collection of the early PS1 titles. I can't even imagine anyone but the biggest nerds, aka me, would want to even touch or look at these games in 2023. They probably look and feel absurdly archaic to modern players.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I don't think there's anything crappy about it. Quite the contrary, game was an achievement for its time and did a lot of truly unique stuff. I guess with modern goggles on it looks that way but eh.

Yeah, they churned these the fuck out. The Last Revelation (TR4) is probably the most ambitious and overall fun as far as I recall? I replayed it maybe five, or more, years ago and was surprised by how much it innovated for the series considering how quickly they cranked these out.

Also on topic, I highly doubt they'd ever consider releasing a collection of the early PS1 titles. I can't even imagine anyone but the biggest nerds, aka me, would want to even touch or look at these games in 2023. They probably look and feel absurdly archaic to modern players.
The crappy is mostly in retrospect, but there is some stuff that is just indefensible, like the boss at the start of the last or second to last stage. But I must emphasize that it was fun.

These titles sold gangbusters, so there must be a reasonable level of nostalgia for them. If they put them in a nice collection, it would easily make at least some money, and then they could just keep rereleasing the collection every generation that comes out.

The crappy is mostly in retrospect, but there is some stuff that is just indefensible, like the boss at the start of the last or second to last stage. But I must emphasize that it was fun.

These titles sold gangbusters, so there must be a reasonable level of nostalgia for them. If they put them in a nice collection, it would easily make at least some money, and then they could just keep rereleasing the collection every generation that comes out.
Actually, I take that back. In return, I put my rose-tinted glasses on and forgot about how shitty the combat gets when they pit you against those crazy-fast undead bullet sponge creatures later on :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yup. Combat works fine against the animals but once they introduce anything else, which is the issue TR2 has, it's just basically out-healing your enemies. Just forget I said that in my last post lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom