• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m curious to know if the buffs stack like Nocturne.
Enemies are present in the overworld now no more random encounters.
Another thing is you can see the actual demon instead of shadowy presentation of them.

Also I'm a bit worried about the lack of characters, it's only the protagonist and the demons here. Having characters with different goals is what makes for compelling storytelling.
We might see other human survivers used to live in apocalypse Tokyo you transported or other people who transported in this Tokyo like you did.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Why people in NeoGAF always complain about god damn graphics!? Even with Elden Ring trailer.

SMT or most Atlus games never been about high end graphic showcase.

I’m getting really sick of graphic whore behaviour in this forum.
Its not the graphic whoring I find annoying but the complete ignorance displayed by some of those graphic whores in regards to art direction and artistic choices.

Bragr

Banned
Can someone explain? why does it look so rough compared to Persona 5? is there a different team working on it? the UI looked big and clunky and it seem to lack all the elegance and polish of Persona, and were is the friendship and everyday stuff? is it all combat based?

Corgi1985

Banned
After playing through the nocturne remaster having yet another desert wasteland kind of sucks. The ruined Tokyo in smt4 had great art design even if the navigation sucked

bigedole

I think it's finally time to get a switch, maybe a switch pro if it's out this year. Nice backlog of JRPGs to catch up on, and I can't miss out on this. Looks great.

Danjin44

Can someone explain? why does it look so rough compared to Persona 5? is there a different team working on it? the UI looked big and clunky and it seem to lack all the elegance and polish of Persona, and were is the friendship and everyday stuff? is it all combat based?
Persona 5 have very different art direction than SMT series and it would not fit in SMT games at all. Also there is no calendar or Social Links system in SMT games, they all about combat and dungeons.
But the art direction in this is as dreadful as the graphics.
Again thats subjective, I personally love the art direction of this game, you seem never played any SMT games before.

Last edited:

Skelterz

I would have to say the graphics do look somewhat poor but that’s not really the main draw of the game for me anyway, there’s still time for polish.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

The game is set in the post apocalypse. Your goal is to kill & recruit powerful demons.

There are no sports clubs. There is no dating. You are the only nigga left alive to shoot/slice your enemies. its straight up demon time.

Fbh

Well for starters it might have a lower budget because mainline SMT tends to sell less than Persona. Also, these games usually have more locations and more dungeons than Persona, more demons too (IV has around 400 while Persona 5 has around 200), and the trailer seems to show bigger areas than Persona too.

There's no friendship stuff or school simulator aspect to the game. The mainline SMT games are more traditional RPG's where you explore locations, fight bosses, train and fuse your demons, complete dungeons, etc.
They are generally darker in tone, more challenging and punishing and less story focused (I mean there's still a story, and fun characters and choices. But unlike Persona half the game isn't people talking)

Last edited:
And where in my post said they aren't? Danjin is right. There are people way too retarded in this forum focused in the graphics itself, counting the amount of pixels, hairs etc. Atlus games aren't about that. One member even mention about the artistic vision/direction, now thats I thing I can agree with.
Ok so the artistic vision is poorly drawn pictures of generic mythical creatures?

It's all just so cheaply drawn. Like they hired a bad tattoo artist for the game.

Belmonte

In the end of the treehouse presentation, they said the protagonist is a fusion between a human (the school dude/dudette ) and an unknown being (the man which gives him/her the new clothes).

Interesting concept. We fuse demons and saw NPCs fusing with them also, but never a protagonist, as far as I know.

I hope there is a way to change clothes though. Had a lot of fun exploring Tokyo as a demonic Mad Max or military dude from Hell in SMTIV.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is the main character a boy or a girl?

Boy, I think. The gender ambiguity is similar to Seraph from Digital Devil Saga 2.

yhlFbpX.jpg

Difference between in that game its explicitly stated they are both male & female simultaneously. This new guy is really, really pretty.

Have you played any SMT games before!? The hyperbolic of some people here.
Yes, one on the 3ds actually.

This game looks very similar to that one. And that one had horrible pictures too. The same bland, poorly drawn trash many years ago And it's been in development how long?

At least put some effort in Atlas.

Klayzer

Have you played any SMT games before!? The hyperbolic of some people here.
Why do you guys do this to yourselves? These people are not here discuss the pros and cons, they're here for one reason only, to shit on the game for personal reasons. Just ignore, no reason to circle jerk with them.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree but I like V MC as much as Demi-fiend in Nocturne.
TBH Nocturne's MC was a bit shit too compared to his predecessors in the wardrobe department at least but eh the tatts made up for it, really Strange Journey's and IV MC is still the ideal they should strive for.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I’m gonna play SMT4 and gonna play the shit out of this.

demonstr8

I'm going to buy and play it for sure but for some reason it's just not as enticing as the other entries. SMT IV looked better before release to me even though it was a step down from Nocturne in many ways IMO.
Maybe it's the overly feminine protagonist or the TMS vibes for the UI or the fact that it's a high school setting turned post apocalyptic Tokyo which is cool but it's expected, it's kind of run of the mill and maybe I wanted to be surprised by something? Not sure. I'm sure it will be at least a good game though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Legit question, is the protag a boy or a girl... Or like Frisk of Undertale aka you determine the name and gender?

Danjin44

Legit question, is the protag a boy or a girl... Or like Frisk of Undertale aka you determine the name and gender?
From the beginning of the trailer you see him wearing male school uniform, the gender is pretty obvious, his has very famine look but thats not all strange to see if you watched any Japanese media.

Why people in NeoGAF always complain about god damn graphics!? Even with Elden Ring trailer.

SMT or most Atlus games never been about high end graphic showcase.

I’m getting really sick of graphic whore behaviour in this forum.
I mean, to be fair, after Persona 5 - this was definitely a step back from a visual stand point.

I can see why some fans might go "huh, that's a little odd."

YukiOnna

I mean, to be fair, after Persona 5 - this was definitely a step back from a visual stand point.

I can see why some fans might go "huh, that's a little odd."
To be fair, the SMT team were mostly working on portable up till now, I believe? so different transition. ATLUS games may sell, but they haven't exactly changed as a studio.

Danjin44

I have to disagree, only thing P5 has over this is the resolution, there is huge over world in SMTV that you can explore and overall the scale is much bigger than P5, not only world size but also the amount of Demons it has.

To be fair, the SMT team were mostly working on portable up till now, I believe? so different transition. ATLUS games may sell, but they haven't exactly changed as a studio.
Oh yeah, totally. Again, not knocking on the game really. I'm sure this game will be exactly how fans of the series have been waiting for.

Merely mentioning that I'm not surprised if people knock on the visuals.

I have to disagree, only thing P5 has over this is the resolution, there is huge over world in SMTV that you can explore and overall the scale is much bigger than P5, not only world size but also the amount of Demons it has.

Yeah okay man, doesnt change the fact that the average joe - who isnt a fan of the series, or tasted Persona 5 - will knock it for its visual upon face value.

You don't have to get too sensitive over this, I'm a fan of the series.

But lets not pretend that the game doesnt appear visually stunning.

Gameplay is the key value of the game, really no need to have a graphic debate on this game lol

Oh yeah, totally. Again, not knocking on the game really. I'm sure this game will be exactly how fans of the series have been waiting for.

Merely mentioning that I'm not surprised if people knock on the visuals.

Yeah okay man, doesnt change the fact that the average joe - who isnt a fan of the series, or tasted Persona 5 - will knock it for its visual upon face value.

You don't have to get too sensitive over this, I'm a fan of the series.

But lets not pretend that the game doesnt appear visually stunning.

Gameplay is the key value of the game, really no need to have a graphic debate on this game lol
I like the graphics for what it is. I'd rather have a unique looking game rather than a game that looks like everything else.

They don’t play that different in the end. Biggest difference is SMT games have multiple endings and demons are actual party members instead of skillsets (simplifying a bit). There’s also no social links or calendar or daily life stuff.
Edit: Thanks. So when you aren’t fighting what can you do? Is it like an open world Persona? I mean do you just control the character to explore a map and get missions from NPC’s? What’s the best game in the series to watch to get an idea of gameplay?

Last edited:
Thanks. So when you aren’t fighting what can you do? Is it like an open world Persona? I mean do you just control the character to explore a map and get missions from NPC’s? What’s the best game in the series to watch to get an idea of gameplay?

Honestly this looks like a shake up of the SMT formula. Playing older games is not going to help for your goals. This game looks like BOTW overworld and monster breeding of older SMT games and a normal SMT type combat . Try SMT apocalypse on the 3ds. It is probably the closes you an get to this new game at this point.

Porcile

Looks awesome. I love what these guys do artistically and the general vibe and atmosphere of SMT is so cool and weird. Really looking forward to this one.

Rickyiez

The Tree House part:

What is happening with the shimmering on the sand at 1:21 . They might need to tone that down , it's very distractive IMO . Otherwise looks to be a cool entry and a weird fantasy Tokyo (in a good way) . Hopefully there are more cooler characters like Nozomi from Apocalypse

100-1002184_smt-4-apocalypse-characters-hd-png-download.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom