• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Chukhopops

Day one!

I have to say I‘m surprised by the interface which looks closer to TMS than SMT IV.
Isn't that persona?
200.gif

Game looks amazing. The exploration maps look rough, though. With Nocturne coming out on other platforms, this should be coming elsewhere, right? Unless performance will be better on/if new Switch hardware gets announced..

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Looking forward to this. Last SMT I played was SMT4(TMS:FE doesn't count). I expect this game to take me at least 3-5 playthroughs for each path.

I like the MC design. The long blue hair is fantastic. You just look like a badass.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Serious question: is that protagonist a dude or a girl? I genuinely couldn‘t tell, lol. At first I thought it was a girl with short hair, but then I saw that there were no breasts so I thought it was a dude, but then the protagonist suddenly had long hair and what appeared to be boobs, so this trailer left me very confused…

Edit: Or can you choose your character‘s sex?

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
For me it’s less of the graphics but the art in the game.

For example the UI seems bland in comparison to the Persona games. It’s almost too clean.

I guess the expectation is higher simply because P5 is really just a PS3 game at heart and you’d at least expect SMTV to be marginally better.

P5 got the benefit of being more in closed spaces and dungeons while SMT seems to render more open areas.

Saber

Gold Member
Why people in NeoGAF always complain about god damn graphics!? Even with Elden Ring trailer.

SMT or most Atlus games never been about high end graphic showcase.

I’m getting really sick of graphic whore behaviour in this forum.

Its annoying alright. But its better just enjoy things and leave those alone. It's not like Atlus ever let people down, they're a beast.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's like they aren't even trying anymore.... one day you're a high school student, the next you're transported to a post apocalyptic world!

smh....

smt4 at least gave it a good try with mikado and burroughs

Serious question: is that protagonist a dude or a girl? I genuinely couldn‘t tell, lol. At first I thought it was a girl with short hair, but then I saw that there were no breasts so I thought it was a dude, but then the protagonist suddenly had long hair and what appeared to be boobs, so this trailer left me very confused…

Looks like they are trying to make it ambiguous. can be male or female. Whatever your imagination comes up with lol

killatopak

Gold Member
Serious question: is that protagonist a dude or a girl? I genuinely couldn‘t tell, lol. At first I thought it was a girl with short hair, but then I saw that there were no breast so I thought it was a dude, but then the protagonist suddenly had long hair and what appeared to be boobs, so this trailer left me very confused…
He’s androgynous but he’s a guy.

It’s basically a callback to SMT 1 the anime and the book which describes the protagonist to be extremely pretty and would look like a girl if he had a female school uniform.

KingT731

Its annoying alright. But its better just enjoy things and leave those alone. It's not like Atlus ever let people down, they're a beast.
People are allowed to have their qualms about the game especially with one that was announced 4 and and a half years ago.

I’ve never actually played a main line SMT game this will be my first. only played the persona games. I’m not expecting it to play like Persona but having played them it should make it easier to get into I hope

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People are allowed to have their qualms about the game especially with one that was announced 4 and and a half years ago.
SMT games were never ever had some high end graphics, even back in PS2 days.

Nocturne released in 2004, 3 years after FFX, from tech perspective it was behind FF games but the art direction and atmosphere is unmatched.

Saber

Gold Member

And where in my post said they aren't? Danjin is right. There are people way too retarded in this forum focused in the graphics itself, counting the amount of pixels, hairs etc. Atlus games aren't about that. One member even mention about the artistic vision/direction, now thats I thing I can agree with.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Serious question: is that protagonist a dude or a girl? I genuinely couldn‘t tell, lol. At first I thought it was a girl with short hair, but then I saw that there were no breast so I thought it was a dude, but then the protagonist suddenly had long hair and what appeared to be boobs, so this trailer left me very confused…

I think it is a girl. The new clothes makes her breasts more apparent.

He’s androgynous but he’s a guy.

It’s basically a callback to SMT 1 the anime and the book which describes the protagonist to be extremely pretty and would look like a girl if he had a female school uniform.

Didn't know that. Sho/Kazuya didn't feel particularly androgynous in the original art to me. Was this retconned or he should be androgynous since the snes game?

250px-hero_smt1.jpg

killatopak

Gold Member
I think it is a girl. The new clothes makes her breasts more apparent.

Didn't know that. Sho/Kazuya didn't feel particularly androgynous in the original art to me. Was this retconned or he should be androgynous since the snes game?

250px-hero_smt1.jpg
In the books which this was based on, the author described him as very pretty.

I was talking about the guy from Megami Tensei. Akemi Nakajima.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it just me or does the Japanese Trailer look better, and also feel more compelling, than the English Trailer? (also seems english trailer cuts several shots)
That I actually agree, the Japanese trailer showed much more interesting stuff than english trailer.

KingT731

SMT games were never ever had some high end graphics, even back in PS2 days.

Nocturne released in 2004, 3 years after FFX, from tech perspective it was behind FF games but the art direction and atmosphere is unmatched.
Who said they were about super high end graphics? They've always used a stylized approach to mask the technical deficiencies. Art direction does matter and just speaking for myself I think it looks bland.

TheMan

switch exclusive eh

I have a switch buy my kid dropped it and fucked up the left side controller port, then when I bought a third party controller for TV use that died in a month. Lol, the thing is cursed. But I might try again for this. Maybe.

Chukhopops

I’ve never actually played a main line SMT game this will be my first. only played the persona games. I’m not expecting it to play like Persona but having played them it should make it easier to get into I hope
They don’t play that different in the end. Biggest difference is SMT games have multiple endings and demons are actual party members instead of skillsets (simplifying a bit). There’s also no social links or calendar or daily life stuff.

sublimit

Banned
Does this series have some type of time-limits in-between dungeons like the Persona series? Or are you free to explore at your own pace?

I own Digital Devil Saga 1&2 but i haven't played them yet.

Top Bottom