• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

HORRORSHØW

C3QrteQ.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What are the major differences other than being more difficult?!
Demons in SMT are your party members rather than power you summon in Persona and when MC levels up you have a choice what states you want to increase.

Unlike Persona 3-5, there is no social Link in SMT, so your Demons won’t get level during fusion based on arcana, you have level them up old fashion way.

SMT games are much more focus on combat and dungeon crawling, there are no part time jobs or school activities in this game.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
In like Flynn. Too bad it's still so far off, but at least I'll have a RPG to play on my Switch while I am traveling over the holidays

born free

Neo Member
If some of you want a good deal on this pre order, check your Target circle app you may have a 30% off 1 video game coupon that works on this preorder. YMMV but worth checking. Only decent deal I’ve seen so far on this game.

Tschumi

I've got 4 on my new 3DS, what's the word on it? Haven't played it..

I can youtube this but anyone wanna tell me the difference between it and persona?

Loved this new trailer, will buy for sure.

I'm still surprised on how publishers have german dubs but rarely have portuguese. Like... portuguese is way bigger than german.

Shubh_C63

What can TGS as a franchise do to attract mainstream like Persona ?

Like I don't really like these games but pulled the trigger on Persona-5, and now I can't live without it. This trailer is too dark or edgy for people to care?. Compared to Persona 5 reveal trailer whose soundtrack alone made me drool.

Last edited:
What can TGS as a franchise do to attract mainstream like Persona ?

Like I don't really like these games but pulled the trigger on Persona-5, and now I can't live without it. This trailer is too dark or edgy for people to care?. Compared to Persona 5 reveal trailer whose soundtrack alone made me drool.
Some of us like dark and edgy and dont like school themed games....

Shubh_C63

Some of us like dark and edgy and dont like school themed games....
Me too. My point is they can do a better job at reveal trailers like they did with Persona.

Like take Drakenguard 3 trailer. I actually have absolutely no idea what this thing is but I have watched this trailer so many times, and I think its pretty dark.

Paltheos

I'm not liking the design of the main character, but I'll try to ignore it as best I can when the game comes out.

Same. My impression has been it was drawn as "Ok, let's do demi-fiend again but this time different. And let's try to make it cooler."

Demi-fiend works because the character maintains most of the physical vestiges of his humanity. Hell, he even keeps his pants and sneaks. The line tattoos and the spike out of the back of his neck are enough to sell it. As are the ferocious battle animations and that horrific transformation sequence from his POV at the start of the game. Who knows though? Maybe SMT5 will have something like that that sells the design. Hopefully.

carlosrox

Banned
That trailer is fucking hot.

Can't wait for this game and to finally get into this series.

Japanese voices are confirmed as an option for us correct? No other way to play this game I think. At least on a first playthrough.

Need to hear those demon voices in Japanese.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist

I can youtube this but anyone wanna tell me the difference between it and persona?
If you're into RPGs, you have to play it. It has Samurais and shit, so much better than high school kids. lmao

Seriously, it's amazing. The atmosphere, the music, all of it. If someone would play one MegaTen game, I would recommend 4.

(unless you're talking about its sequel, Apocalypse or something. Haven't played that)

I haven't played Persona, but I would say the main difference is that Persona focuses on the characters, while SMT focuses on the demons and the world. There is no dating or social stuff in SMT.
The gameplay seem similar to me, if not the exact same. I think they both have dungeon-crawling.

Last edited:

Tschumi

If you're into RPGs, you have to play it. It has Samurais and shit, so much better than high school kids. lmao

Seriously, it's amazing. The atmosphere, the music, all of it. If someone would play one MegaTen game, I would recommend 4.

(unless you're talking about its sequel, Apocalypse or something. Haven't played that)
just 4, it's on the camo shell'd new3ds 30cm to my left muhaha

Danjin44

SMT is mainline game, while Persona series are spin off. SMT is much more focus on dungeon crawling and combat and doesn’t have the calendar system from Persona 3-5.

Tschumi

SMT is mainline game, while Persona series are spin off. SMT is much more focus on dungeon crawling and combat and doesn’t have the calendar system from Persona 3-5.
does it have character development and relationships augmenting personas like persona? er, also, does it have personas in the same sense?

Danjin44

does it have character development and relationships augmenting personas like persona? er, also, does it have personas in the same sense?
It doesn’t have any S.link system, in SMT demons are your party members rather than power you can summon and you can build you character’s states.

Tschumi

It doesn’t have any S.link system, in SMT demons are your party members rather than power you can summon and you can build you character’s states.
you're a goldmine mate, thanks very much

any more quick thoughts on how to get the most out of the game?

Danjin44

you're a goldmine mate, thanks very much

any more quick thoughts on how to get the most out of the game?
Just buy either SMT3 or SMT4 and give it a try, if you enjoyed press turn combat in Persona then you would also enjoy SMT.

You will hit brick wall bosses in smt 4. After figuring out it's weakness, you will go out on demon hunting, to make a party of demons that are good with that elemental weakness.

A bit grindy but fun.

Also atmosphere is mature and darker compared to Persona series.

Persona games almost feel like casual games in comparison.

GeekyDad

The new story trailer is so much better than the first silly trailer. Represents the game better, and allows the main...I still don't know what call him/her, but allows that character to at least come a little more into focus. Very much still looking forward to another mainline SMT experience.

Andyliini

Well, I went and preorded The Fall of Man edition of the game. We have come quite a long way since SMTIV on 3DS, where we in Europe had to wait over a year for thr game to arrive, and then it was digital only. Now we get it day-and-date with the rest of the world, and the Limited Edition as well.

I hope the game is good. SMTIV was one of the best RPG's on 3DS. Hopefully this has a similar impact on the main series as Persona 5 had on that series.

Paltheos

Maybe this just my taste but actually really like design of the MC in SMTV.
TBH, I'm a little biased. I've had this opinion for a while that Atlus can't make a game to surpass SMT3. While they've produced many good games, nothing has beaten it imo and nothing in SMT in particular has come even close (Strange Journey's closest, I guess?). Such a direct challenge to SMT3 like 5 is shaping up (in my mind) strikes a few pessimistic chords with me. Not a huge basis for it when it comes down to it. I'd like to be wrong.

Danjin44

TBH, I'm a little biased. I've had this opinion for a while that Atlus can't make a game to surpass SMT3. While they've produced many good games, nothing has beaten it imo and nothing in SMT in particular has come even close (Strange Journey's closest, I guess?). Such a direct challenge to SMT3 like 5 is shaping up (in my mind) strikes a few pessimistic chords with me. Not a huge basis for it when it comes down to it. I'd like to be wrong.
You need to understand that MC in Nocturne eats a Magatama to change to a demon while MC in SMTV fuses with another being, so it going have more drastic change.

I honestly like both design of Demi-Fiend and Nahobino more than other pervious MC design.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Just watched the latest trailer... Hot damn, looks like Atlus went all out with the production values for this game :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Art direction is flexing pretty hard - all the demons and characters look very awesome! I actually like the look of the MC tbh. I've started to look forward to Atlus showing off monsters every couple of days. Seems like a neat marketing strategy to keep the game on people's radar.

The music in particular is sounding top-notch. I'll probably end up buying the OST if the overall quality is as good as what we've heard so far. I've been listening to SMT4's OST lately and just the couple tracks I've heard from the trailers compete with the best tracks from the previous game.

Visuals are beautiful, especially considering the art style and the hardware it's running on! I noticed the framerate dipping in a couple of the cutscenes so I guess they're running in real-time? Either way, looks like this game is pushing the Switch to its limits. The animations are also very polished!

I'm loving the voice acting for the Japanese dub, it sounds very professional and captures the dark tone of the game well. I might try out English dub for shits and giggles, but Japanese VA's sound much more authentic. On another note, looks like this game might be more character driven?

I'm trying not to hype myself up too much, but the trailers are phenomenal so far.

kunonabi

Just watched the latest trailer... Hot damn, looks like Atlus went all out with the production values for this game :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Art direction is flexing pretty hard - all the demons and characters look very awesome! I actually like the look of the MC tbh. I've started to look forward to Atlus showing off monsters every couple of days. Seems like a neat marketing strategy to keep the game on people's radar.

The music in particular is sounding top-notch. I'll probably end up buying the OST if the overall quality is as good as what we've heard so far. I've been listening to SMT4's OST lately and just the couple tracks I've heard from the trailers compete with the best tracks from the previous game.

Visuals are beautiful, especially considering the art style and the hardware it's running on! I noticed the framerate dipping in a couple of the cutscenes so I guess they're running in real-time? Either way, looks like this game is pushing the Switch to its limits. The animations are also very polished!

I'm loving the voice acting for the Japanese dub, it sounds very professional and captures the dark tone of the game well. I might try out English dub for shits and giggles, but Japanese VA's sound much more authentic. On another note, looks like this game might be more character driven?

I'm trying not to hype myself up too much, but the trailers are phenomenal so far.
Yeah outside of that first godawful English trailer it's looked amazing at every turn.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I'm also looking forward to learning more about the friends that you will kill all/all but one of by the end of the game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is this game a little like tokyo mirage sessions?
I loved it because it was not as weeby as the persona games.

Danjin44

Is this game a little like tokyo mirage sessions?
I loved it because it was not as weeby as the persona games.
By “weeby” you mean school and S.Link, SMT games has none of that.

They much more about apocalypse and your so called “friends” eventually fight against you if you reject their ideal world.

Top Bottom