• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer for Shin Megami Tensei V

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The only one I'm not sold on is #45 which looks a little too much like an edgy pokemon, but they can't all be home runs, right?
Hayatarō is not my all time favourite but I don't mind his design and like his spinning attack animation, but yeah so far Manananggal is my favourite new Demon.

Nico_D

Started Nocturne two days ago for the first time to be ready for this. I like it quite a lot but the game also doesn't tell everything: I was at level 14 when I read that I'm supposed to switch matagamas to open all the skills - instead of them opening by my own level the moment I put them on.

Using a guide for the Toreador fight to find good demons. I feel it would be frustrating without.

Danjin44

Started Nocturne two days ago for the first time to be ready for this. I like it quite a lot but the game also doesn't tell everything: I was at level 14 when I read that I'm supposed to switch matagamas to open all the skills - instead of them opening by my own level the moment I put them on.

Using a guide for the Toreador fight to find good demons. I feel it would be frustrating without.
Magatama is how you learn new skill but each of them has weakness you need keep eye on. Also "Toreador" I think you mean Matador? You really don't need guid to beat this game, what you need is to understand fundamental of press turn combat system.

For example: if the boss uses lots Force(wind) skill then its good idea to summon Demon that can block force attack which lose their turn faster. Also buffs and debuffs are your BFF, they are especially OP in Nocturne.

Not only buff/debuffs lasts for entire battles (unless your enemy uses Dekunda/Dekaja) but they also stack.

Nico_D

I think the problem - and what I need the guide for - is to find which demon is immune to a spesific power, in MATADOR'S case, force.

If I don't have an exact pair of demons for fusion, it can be hard to find - especially when there's limited amount of space where ro keep demons.

Not a biggie.

Danjin44

I think the problem - and what I need the guide for - is to find which demon is immune to a spesific power, in MATADOR'S case, force.

If I don't have an exact pair of demons for fusion, it can be hard to find - especially when there's limited amount of space where ro keep demons.

Not a biggie.
Don't worry as you play the game you get hang of the demon fusion.

Nico_D

Don't worry as you play the game you get hang of the demon fusion.

Won him. It was actually very easy in the end, as it is supposed to be, i guess. Levelled up to 20 and spammed Rakukaja and Sukukaja on my team and then kept hitting him.

Danjin44

Won him. It was actually very easy in the end, as it is supposed to be, i guess. Levelled up to 20 and spammed Rakukaja and Sukukaja on my team and then kept hitting him.
Yup, buffs/debuffs are little too OP in Nocturne, this is why I’m happy that they changed the buffs in SMT5.

In SMT5 the buffs/debuffs only last 3 turns but they still stack.

Nico_D

Yup, buffs/debuffs are little too OP in Nocturne, this is why I’m happy that they changed the buffs in SMT5.

In SMT5 the buffs/debuffs only last 3 turns but they still stack.

Yeah, balance is probably pretty hard to find. There are A LOT of jrpgs where you don't need use buffs at all and very little debuffs either (you can just use healing items). I prefer games where you can't do without, makes it much more strategic.

Danjin44

Yeah, balance is probably pretty hard to find. There are A LOT of jrpgs where you don't need use buffs at all and very little debuffs either (you can just use healing items). I prefer games where you can't do without, makes it much more strategic.
Don’t forget enemies can also use buffs/debuff as well, especially later bosses. In SMT without buffs you are particularly naked.

My advice in how to build your MC is either focus on physical or magic, it’s better specialize rather that try be mediocre at both magic and physical.

Danjin44

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Switch-accessories-set-to-release-in-November-3.jpg
Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Switch-accessories-set-to-release-in-November-1.jpg

Shin-Megami-Tensei-V-Switch-accessories-set-to-release-in-November-2.jpg

Danjin44

In the trailer I spotted these Demons...does that mean we might see Dagda as well?

__sukuna_hikona_shin_megami_tensei_and_2_more_drawn_by_doi_masayuki__0017352460fc3889c48212ca91200389.jpg
\
sample_d069c96d765d449b761b1dd0a05dde261830d49f.jpg
VYjAxCy.png

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
That new JP trailer was fuckin' hot.

There's just something about hearing those JP voices altered to sound like Demons and Gods that's irresistible.

Music is sounding incredible.

Still can't wait for my first SMT game.

CGiRanger

Banned

There's just something about hearing those JP voices altered to sound like Demons and Gods that's irresistible.

Yeah, definitely be going to play the game in Japanese, unless somehow the dubbing turns out good. But I dunno, lately dubs seem more bad than good.

But yeah, it was a great trailer and I'm very excited for it. Sounds like it's gonna be a dark ride.
Biggest GOTY potential right there

What a step up from Atlus, this looks amazing. This trailer deserves it’s own thread honestly. GAF is sleeping on this
For real. I agree the latest trailer needs a new thread because it is a good trailer (alongside the previous story trailer as well).

Danjin44

GAF is sleeping on this
currently GAF is much more concern about controversies and tech in graphics to care about having conversation about actual games.

For real. I agree the latest trailer needs a new thread because it is a good trailer (alongside the previous story trailer as well).
The problem is its gonna get buried, unfortunately most GAF don't care about SMT series.

Yeah, definitely be going to play the game in Japanese,
I played Nocturne HD in Japanese and I'm gonna do the same with SMT5, the game takes place in Japan so it much more natural for characters speaking Japanese.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The problem is its gonna get buried, unfortunately most GAF don't care about SMT series.
You are 100% correct. I don't think the majority of users here care enough to go loredeep into a series like SMT especially when I believe that the majority have only been exposed to the Persona subseries.

Most cases they want to discuss tech or the various shitshows taking place in the game industry.

It's very rare these days for me to get into deep discussion about a game series I love.

Blond

Banned

Play Nocturne with a guide, knock out the True Demon Ending in about 40 hours and get a nice feel for the series.

Danjin44

Play Nocturne with a guide, knock out the True Demon Ending in about 40 hours and get a nice feel for the series.
I'm replaying Nocturne in hard difficulty for anticipation of this game and I'm almost done with true Demon ending.

My only obstacle is that Lucifer fight at very end. I'm level 90 but this f**ker uses Dekunda/Dekaja to cancels my buffs/debuffs and then uses High King and one shots me.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying the daily demon showcases. I guess there's at least some 50-70 left.

The story trailer has great editing, focusing on story while still showing a good amount of gameplay. I have a feeling the sister of glass-kun will die which will prompt him to join either the angels or demons. I just hope the law and chaos routes don't conclude with downer endings.

Blond

Banned
I'm replaying Nocturne in hard difficulty for anticipation of this game and I'm almost done with true Demon ending.

My only obstacle is that Lucifer fight at very end. I'm level 90 but this f**ker uses Dekunda/Dekaja to cancels my buffs/debuffs and then uses High King and one shots me.

This is the most MEGATEN shit I’ve read in a while 😂

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I knocked off TDE on normal and went a normal route for my hard playthrough on NG+. Matador still completely fucked me, and even with endgame demons I was getting ambushed/insta-killed on the semi regular.

Danjin44

I knocked off TDE on normal and went a normal route for my hard playthrough on NG+. Matador still completely fucked me, and even with endgame demons I was getting ambushed/insta-killed on the semi regular.
Here is the thing, before Lucifer, I dominated every boss, even Metatron was no match for me in hard difficulty but this motherf**ker spamming cancel buffs/debuffs and High King is god damn insane!

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I remember IV having battles that were partly based on luck, and enemies punishing you for 'cheap' tactics (whole squad with a similar almighty load out for example). Does he only cast Dekaja/Dekunda at max buff/debuff or would he do it on 3?

I got the trophies for maxing DFs stats and for mastering all Megatma on my first go, I was stupidly OP by the end of it all:

Danjin44

Does he only cast Dekaja/Dekunda at max buff/debuff or would he do it on 3?
Yeah maybe thats the reason, in Nocturne the buff/debuff overly OP, this why some bosses need to rely on Dekaja/Dekunda spamming.

This why I'm happy that in SMTV the buff/debuff only last 3 turns but still stack.
Spoiler: End boss spoiler
Kagutsuchi is really easy boss compare to Lucifer.

GeekyDad

Yeah, visually, it definitely looks a little behind the times. But the last trailer still got me even more excited for the game. I wasn't expecting too much visually in the first place. But it's looking like another great SMT experience.

Top Bottom