• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trailer for The Matrix Ressurections

Corpsepyre

Banned

It's time to free the mind again and step inside the real world of The Matrix Resurrections, the fourth film of the iconic franchise. Nearly 20 years after the last entry, The Matrix Resurrections tells a different story this time around while giving audiences a ton of nostalgic set pieces, characters, and even pieces of dialogue that everyone should recognize along the way. In certain sequences, this fourth installment, to quote a Monty Python film, "Tis a silly place", but in between those moments are some genuine fantastic, romantic, and thrilling story arcs that are highly entertaining and important to tell. The Matrix Resurrections pushes the entire story forward and can be a blast when it wants to. Other times, it can be sillier than a Naked Gun film. Recommended!
4/5

Ulysses 31

Give this a watch. There's one for Revolutions too.

The sequels also seem to contradict Neo's stating that he's going to show everyone the new world where anything is possible while in the sequels the creators deliberately have Neo use his power as much outside public view as possible. :goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Currently 67 at Rotten Tomatoes.

qoZJse3.jpg

that last quote
Frustrated World Cup GIF

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Cleared_Hot

This might be the most disappointing aspect that this reviewer pointed out. I haven't seen it yet but dude this makes me sad if it's true. I'm guessing g it was the other wachowski responsible for that perfect framing.

It's THE franchise when it comes to filming and framing action and they do this bullsbit?! Nothing sets it apart then. It was always my frame of reference for good action versus quick cut bullshit.

"Where Resurrections really disappoints is in the staging of the action. The Hong Kong-influenced long shots that made The Matrix so revolutionary are all but absent, replaced by rapid cuts that render the fight choreography less legible than in previous installments. And although there are a few giddy moments of sci-fi mayhem, the set pieces—and there are many—never reach heights as outrageous or as thrilling as the highway chase sequence in The Matrix Reloaded" https://www.avclub.com/keanu-goes-back-through-the-looking-glass-in-the-legacy-1848247837

Last edited:
Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I checked and it’s not on hbo max yet. I’m guessing at 3 am? Either way I’m too tired to stay up long enough to watch it tonight.

SJRB

Gold Member
I expected maybe a 6/10 but I was honestly not prepared for how incredibly bad this movie was.

This is a catastrophic failure on every front and I feel bad for Keanu and Carry-Ann Moss.

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it a 4/10 like IGN think it is? 👀

I would rate it even lower, honestly.

Still trying to wrap my head around how anyone thought this script was a good idea. It has zero of the intrigue, smart writing, philosophic implications, style, beautiful cinematography or banging soundtrack while simultaneously perpetually dunking on these very concepts via cringe-inducing meta commentary and fourth wall-breaking.

The action is so terribly shot compared to the originals it is astounding to me that anyone okayed this.

And good lord it is way too long, halfway through I checked the runtime and I couldn't believe I still had another half to go. It is exhausting. A complete waste of time.

Uhtred

I would rate it even lower, honestly.

Still trying to wrap my head around how anyone thought this script was a good idea. It has zero of the intrigue, smart writing, philosophic implications, style, beautiful cinematography or banging soundtrack while simultaneously perpetually dunking on these very concepts via cringe-inducing meta commentary and fourth wall-breaking.

The action is so terribly shot compared to the originals it is astounding to me that anyone okayed this.

And good lord it is way too long, halfway through I checked the runtime and I couldn't believe I still had another half to go. It is exhausting. A complete waste of time.

My friends say it is terrible. Just going to skip it even though I sub to HBO. I don’t want to juice the ratings by hate watching this schlock.

it’s very very bad. It is so bad it’s hard to describe. I can’t believe that a movie could be so poorly written it’s shocking. This movie is almost like someone put a gun to Lana‘s head and forced her to make a movie she didn’t want to.
I am actually at a loss for words for how bad this is

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I watched an hour of it today before getting to some priorities, I'll finish it later.

It seems almost satirical in what I've seen so far. It's essentially mocking itself.

Stuart360

Quite surprised its currently at a Fresh 69%. I gave it 4/10 as my review on the last page shows.
With the way the film is, i really thought critics would rip it a new one. I guess the film has a few brownie points for its wokeness.

SJRB

Gold Member
Quite surprised its currently at a Fresh 69%. I gave it 4/10 as my review on the last page shows.
With the way the film is, i really thought critics would rip it a new one. I guess the film has a few brownie points for its wokeness.

I swear to god how this is getting 7/10's or higher is beyond me.

Part of me believes reviewers are just scared to dunk on Lana Wachowski because they don't want to alert the horde.

Stuart360

I swear to god how this is getting 7/10's or higher is beyond me.

Part of me believes reviewers are just scared to dunk on Lana Wachowski because they don't want to alert the horde.
Actually thats probably not far from the truth, especially as she already likened the film to her situation with her 'change'
I bet its the same with all the Youtubers creaming over the film, they are scared to do anyhting else.
Its pretty cringe really if you think about it.

Last edited:
Some people seem to miss the part where the movie explicitly makes fun of the trans-politics interpretation.
From the mind whose previous movie was about illuminati and reptilians staying young with the power of adrenochrome comes a movie about people who stand out being swarmed by bots glued to their social media bullshit. It's doubly funny when you listen to The Merovingian's rant, which directly blames Neo for inventing this.
The agency bit was fucking hilarious - it gives you a beat to go OH NO WOKENESS and then subverts it.

John Bilbo

Some people seem to miss the part where the movie explicitly makes fun of the trans-politics interpretation.
From the mind whose previous movie was about illuminati and reptilians staying young with the power of adrenochrome comes a movie about people who stand out being swarmed by bots glued to their social media bullshit. It's doubly funny when you listen to The Merovingian's rant, which directly blames Neo for inventing this.
The agency bit was fucking hilarious - it gives you a beat to go OH NO WOKENESS and then subverts it.
Didn't the Wachowskis themselves say the matrix is a metaphor for transsexuality?

Edit: I have to add though: death of the author

Last edited:

ShadowNate

Watched with zero hype.

My honest opinion? It's not that bad.

It's not "woke" at all -- certainly not any in-your-face stuff. And it has expectedly tons of callbacks to and fan service the original movies (unsurprisingly mostly the first one). Like tons, and tons, and then some more tons.

It's basically Matrix The Fan Service. It does get tiring, it's too long and there are almost zero memorable moments though. Direction and cinematography are nowhere near the original movie. There's one specific sequence that felt that the special effects were so lazy considering the heights of the special effects in the original Matrix.

There are a few new ideas in there, so it is not an entirely pointless story, at least.

It's ok for a watch, especially if you have low expectations from it.

FunkMiller

I didn’t find it particularly woke at all. It certainly didn’t try to shove a political message down our throats in lieu of a story.

It did however have some of the laziest, dullest and most by the numbers action sequences I’ve ever seen, and relied way too much on nostalgia for a trilogy that fucking sucked for two movies anyway.

The worst thing about this film is how cowardly it is.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I went in with extremely low expectations and... I didn't hate it. It's the third best Matrix movie after the original and Reloaded. It was entertaining, but nothing memorable.

No idea why they didn't cast Hugo Weaving, though. Also, cinematography is not even close to the original.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished it. I went in with low expectations as well and I didn't hate it either. It was nice to spend a couple hours back in this world. It was dumb and most things didn't make any sense, but I've had a worse time spending a couple hours.

And I agree, it wasn't woke. At all. In fact, it was kind of the opposite. One scene the dialogue mocked trans activism. The "blue pill" being the bad choice was stressed in abundance in this movie. And the movie poked a lot of fun of the previous trilogy and the cheesiness.

I basically took this movie as a fanfare piece meant to just give the hardcore fans a couple hours of fun. If you went in expecting a super serious continuation of The Matrix then you might be disappointed, but I didn't so I thought it was fine.

Super cheesy ending though.

vpance

Basically nothing of any consequence happened in this.

The power of love! And hey guys Trinity can be powerful too.

Top Bottom