• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Variants of PS5 & Xbox Series Consoles Potentially Under Development?

MikeM

BREAKING NEWS

• Console manufacturers, who make pro versions of consoles every generation, MIGHT BE WORKING ON PRO VERSIONS..
Last generation was the only one with a Pro model…

There have been random other ones, but I don’t recall a PS2 Pro, PS3 Pro, etc

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Any time new hardware is finished, development beings on the next. So, yup!
While Ybarra was still with Xbox he once said pretty much as soon as the newest console even goes into full scale mass production long before release, they were already planning the next console

Last generation was the only one with a Pro model…

There have been random other ones, but I don’t recall a PS2 Pro, PS3 Pro, etc
"Slim" was just the previous generation version of pro consoles. Before consoles were basically dog shit PCs, making them more powerful actually had compatibility implications. Doesn't really matter anymore.

FUBARx89

This is kinda a nothing burger tbh. Soon as a console launches companies start planning out next gen. They're gonna be working with AMD regardless.

Considering chip constraits this gen already, I find it ridiculous to do a half way gen refresh like the prior gen, but it is an option still.

But regardless this isn't news.

Last edited:

Don Carlo

While Ybarra was still with Xbox he once said pretty much as soon as the newest console even goes into full scale mass production long before release, they were already planning the next console
Its most likely always part of their roadmap and process. Though, what concerns me is that finding consoles at MSRIP is close to impossible, and now they are already planning new consoles? how does that make sense lol.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They would not be just beginning work on a revision if they wanted it out any time soon. If they are starting now it is likely for next gen.
Its most likely always part of their roadmap and process. Though, what concerns me is that finding consoles at MSRIP is close to impossible, and now they are already planning new consoles? how does that make sense lol.
It makes sense because it takes years to design and tape out a custom part then it takes a long time to test the actual parts and finalize all the SW and tools so they are reasonably optimized for the design. Would you prefer they fire all their designers and stop just because you can't walk in to walmart and buy a PS5?

Top Bottom