• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New VR headset to be unveiled at CES 2023, 'Somnium VR1'. 2880 x 2880 Fast LCD, HFOV 120°, VFOV 100°, Hand/Eye tracking, Tethered/Wireless hybrid.

https://skarredghost.com/2022/12/27/somnium-vr-1-wireless-psvr/
The headset that was in the beginning advertised as a hybrid standalone+tethered device has just become a SteamVR HMD. Its specifications are actually quite cool:

• Display: 2x 3.2″ 2880 x 2880 Fast LCD.
  • Horizontal FOV 120°, Vertical FOV 100°
  • Pass-through cameras: 2x 3864 x 2192, 90 FPS (foveated transport), FOV 120° x 100°
  • Ultraleap hand tracking
  • Custom made eye tracking
  • Wireless PC VR Streaming
  • Integrated high quality stereo microphones
  • 3 modular customizable and 3D printable anchor points
The Somnium VR1 headset (this is its name) gains even more value if we consider that it is thought to be as open and modular as possible. For instance, the partnership with 3D printing company Prusa Research may be exploited to create an entire ecosystem of accessories for the device that can be 3D printed. As for the price, a friend of mine told me that the goal is to make it quite affordable (so not to sell it at Valve Index prices).
1*9lELAS6jY2Rb6Ncnn51ThA.webp

Fkqmh6NWAAELg3L.jpg

FkqmhJiWYAAfl2M

somnium-vr1-open-source-pcvr-headset-v0-fo4chkhpye7a1.jpg

somnium-vr1.jpg

somnium-vr1-open-source-pcvr-headset-v0-58jsp84pye7a1.jpg

Looks like they are aiming to be relatively affordable compared to other headsets, we won't know the price until CES but there are several headsets aiming for Quest 2 to PSVR2 price ranges 3 of which are showing at CES or elsewhere early next year. It's going to be a big year for VR for those who are interested and keeping track of the industry.

The features they put out, at least what they want us to know before CES, is actually pretty impressive, and the specs are better than expected. The headset size isn't very large either, an Iphone 14 pro max sideways may be a bit longer than it from the front. It also has the option to be standalone or tethered.

The thing that stand out with this one, assuming they will actually implement this feature as promised, is the headsets ability to be expanded as it's designed to be modular. This may make the headset a more viable long-term investment IF they can actually make good use of that feature. It also assumes that whatever expandability the headset receives, it won't make the headset more uncomfortable to sue or make the headset 2x heavier.

Crayon

So, can this be considered like a new wave of VR (Hardware/Software)?.

Probably yeah. I'd almost call it post-quest as the huge success of quest 2 probably had a big influence on all the new sets being made. And even ones like psvr2 that were going to be made anyway are launching into a world where one line of headsets has sold 20 million.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
more vr more headsets give us as much options as possible
especially for the affordable sector which is dominated by meta

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Oh, you are going to love this one then, their VR app Somnium Space VR allows you to sell and purchase land via NFT's
oh my god thats so terrible! its so sad that you HAVE to interact with the vr headset via this app and that you don't have the option of just hooking it up to your PC with SteamVR and foregoing the dumb NFT scam app entirely, this is a tragedy!!!

midnightAI

oh my god thats so terrible! its so sad that you HAVE to interact with the vr headset via this app and that you don't have the option of just hooking it up to your PC with SteamVR and foregoing the dumb NFT scam app entirely, this is a tragedy!!!
I would just have thought that someone who does not want to deal with Meta due to their business practices may want to know about the business practices of this company. YOU may not care but the person I was replying to might.

E-Cat

I see this as the closest (and perhaps only) competitor to the Pimax Crystal, hoping for a launch by Q3.

Top Bottom