• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New World - Open World MMO from Amazon | OT |

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
sk8NnJE.png

C4iIFkM.jpg
Developer:
Amazon Game Studios, Orange County

Release Date:
Sep 28, 2021

Platforms:
PC (Microsoft Windows)

https://newworld.com/

Social
https://twitter.com/playnewworld
https://www.facebook.com/playnewworld
https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/
Description
An open-world MMO with expansive crafting, three-faction PvP with territorial control (including city governance), survival elements, housing, and more.

Shipwrecked on the supernatural island of Aeternum, the player has endless opportunities to fight, forage, and forge among the island's wilderness and ruins. Channel supernatural forces or wield deadly weapons in a classless, real-time combat system, and fight alone, with a small team, or in massed armies for PvE and PvP battles.

Recommended System Requirements
  • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K / AMD Ryzen 5 1400
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 390X or better
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 50 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Internet connection required to play, offers in-game purchases

FACTIONS
At the core of the social side of New World are the three factions, organizations of like-minded players and non-player characters with their own motives and schemes for the island's future.

Within each faction, players can form or join groups called companies. Your faction choice will determine who you fight with and against in PvP and can confer benefits if your faction or company controls settlements and territories.
mauraders-relic2.png

THE MARAUDERS​

Living examples of the credo "might makes right," the Marauders are a ruthless military force bent on establishing a free nation where anyone with the strength and determination to stake a claim can do so.
sydicate-relic.png

THE SYNDICATE​

Working in the shadows and dealing with secrets, members of the Syndicate use their boundless guile and intellect in pursuit of forbidden knowledge.
covenant-relic2.png

THE COVENANT​

Divine champions who are driven by conviction and their faith in the light of the Spark, the Covenant fights with righteousness and justice for the struggling souls of all living things.

CRAFTING & THE MARKETPLACE

Gather resources of all kinds to construct weapons, armor, furnishings, augmentations for fortresses and town upgrades, and more.

Each settlement has its own player-run market, allowing individuals or groups to corner markets and drive the markets towards their own fortunes.

REAL TIME ACTION COMBAT

Arm yourself with brutal melee weapons, ranged artillery, or supernatural powers and jump into New World's classless, real-time action combat system. As you progress you'll be able to determine what you want your gameplay experience to be like—will you act as a protective shield on the front lines of battle? Will you sling spells to support your allies from a safe distance? Only you can decide.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This fun to play?

I think it is, yes. There's a lot to do. It has adopted many mechanisms from not only current and past MMO's, but also survival games. One can also get lost in the large scale PvP struggles and settlement / territory management if that's more their thing and they don't mind joining a large company (guild).

Last edited:
I think it is, yes. There's a lot to do. It has adopted many mechanisms from not only current and past MMO's, but also survival games. One can also get lost in the large scale PvP struggles and settlement / territory management if that's more their thing and they don't mind joining a large company (guild).
I heard it's similar in feel to RuneScape? Obviously not top down or child oriented, but would you agree?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Would an old school MMO guy (EQ, Pre-WOTLK WoW) enjoy this? EQ Next, Vanguard, etc... all gone with the wind now.

The only old MMO it resembles is UO in its crafting system - which is even far deeper than UO's IMO. Aside from that, it's decidingly more modern in design than pre-WOTLK, EQ, etc.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

New World reviewed on PC by Gabriel Moss. Narration by Michael Swaim.

New World asks for the same quantity of time investment as any other traditional-style MMO, which means it desperately needs far, far more story content and gameplay variety to fill the gaps in its massive and visually gorgeous yet otherwise unremarkable world. The PVP endgame is where things start to get interesting, but the grind to get there is brain-numbing, the quests are hyper-repetitive, and the combat - while fun in the opening hours - just gets boring even after the first 50 hours spent hacking away. You and your friends can absolutely have some good adventures here, but it's conditional on your willingness to endlessly grind and harvest materials, as well as on the health of your server's community and its ongoing faction-driven rivalries. What's left in the absence of that is a candy-coated shell of an MMORPG that struggles to evolve past its opening. But hey, at least you can pet a dog.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Very optimistic on this games future even though I got burned out early on. AGS devs is serious with this one.

Yea I am done with it for now. I'll wait on some updates and fixes. Too many little things bother me with it as is. I got my money's worth, that's for sure.

Castef

Banned
Sooo... the game sold more than 20 million copies.

Right now there are about 30.000 concurrent players.

Is this a success or not?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sooo... the game sold more than 20 million copies.

Right now there are about 30.000 concurrent players.

Is this a success or not?

No, it's dead. They can't survive on 30k people buying cosmetics and still produce enough content to keep those 30k hooked. It's way too late, everyone's moved to Lost Ark.

Shubh_C63

What could have been.
Yeah Amazon daddy won't be happy with 20K players. But I still think no way they pull the plug.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The gaming market is littered with MMOs that launched with great ambitions, with dreams of touching the same heights as genre giants like World of Warcraft (or, more recently, Final Fantasy 14) and perhaps even exceeding them- but ultimately failed to. The MMO is perhaps the most brutal, most relentlessly tricky genre to find success in- it's easier to fail here for games than it is to fail anywhere else, and it's no surprise as such that as time has gone on, significant new MMO releases have grown increasingly infrequent.

Why invest copious amounts of money in a game that has an almost negligible chance of enjoying a good launch, much less enjoying sustained success over a long period of time?

Meicyn

Gold Member
They have the opportunity to pull A Realm Reborn and commit to serious revisions like Square Enix did for FFXIV. They could also launch on consoles when they do the upgrade to really generate interest. Not too late to salvage the game.

If they released on PS5, I would give it a look.

oktarb

Everytime I'm tempted to pick this game up again, chop some trees down, smash some rocks, I remeber the isolated storage system. Its a useless antiquated system. Quality of life please.

Top Bottom