• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox Game Pass Games for July 2022

Because this months games are the only ones on there right?

One more time, this months offerings are sub-par no question however this is slow season for game releases, what games would you like to see on the service this month?
Klonoa, Sominum Files 2, Madison.

It's not always up to MS. Sometimes people just don't want to launch on a sub. It's a slower month. Shit happens.

clarky

Gold Member
Klonoa, Sominum Files 2, Madison.

It's not always up to MS. Sometimes people just don't want to launch on a sub. It's a slower month. Shit happens.
Exactly its summer and retail is always slowest in these months although Madison does look fairly interesting , thanks for the tip.

edit: Actually reading more thats deffo a wait for Gamepass game if i ever saw one.

Last edited:
Because this months games are the only ones on there right?

One more time, this months offerings are sub-par no question however this is slow season for game releases, what games would you like to see on the service this month?
Some more quality games would be nice instead of cheap indies. And no it’s not only this month that is slow. I can have a few slow months but the quality of the games offered go down every month in my experience. If it would be a one time dip, no problem but it seems it isn’t.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just curious, I'm with you that this months offerings are sub-par however this is slow season for game releases, what games would you like to see on the service this month?
I’d take any quality ‘older’ game over a day one average release.

Shovel Knight, Demon Turf, A Hat in Time, Blue Fire, Bastion, Cuphead, Transistor & the Shantae games would all be examples of what I consider to be high quality indies that haven’t been on the service yet.

If you want me to go in to the AAA market there’s literally too many to list. I’d just say that games with the profile of Dragon’s Dogma, e.g. years old but a fantastic game, would be 1000x better than 90% of what we’ve had so far this year.

Chukhopops

Shovel Knight, Demon Turf, A Hat in Time, Blue Fire, Bastion, Cuphead, Transistor & the Shantae games would all be examples of what I consider to be high quality indies that haven’t been on the service yet.

If you want me to go in to the AAA market there’s literally too many to list. I’d just say that games with the profile of Dragon’s Dogma, e.g. years old but a fantastic game, would be 1000x better than 90% of what we’ve had so far this year.
Day 1 is always a bit of a gamble, sometimes you get Tunic, Norco, Nobody saves the world, Infernax, Echo Generation or other great games and sometimes they suck, it’s a risk you have to take. But half of the joy is in the discovery in my opinion.

If you want to play older, more established games there’s a service for that now.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Day 1 is always a bit of a gamble, sometimes you get Tunic, Norco, Nobody saves the world, Infernax, Echo Generation or other great games and sometimes they suck, it’s a risk you have to take. But half of the joy is in the discovery in my opinion.

If you want to play older, more established games there’s a service for that now.

MS is still adding AAA older titles as well, FC5 was a big game when it released as was Origins and Hitman, Control, etc. A good mix of indies and older titles is what I like about GP (and of course all the day ones).

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Play the tutorial first. It could be that it is not the first game to use its aiming system, but I’ve never played a tennis game like this. And I love it once I got better at it.

The aiming system is fine for serves, but I can't get the hang of it after that. And the dot is incredibly small. It would have been better to have a slower, larger graphic to indicate a general area of where you are aiming. Other than that, it is ok. Nothing special, but not what I would call bad. But not the tennis game I was hoping for either.

Roberts

The aiming system is fine for serves, but I can't get the hang of it after that. And the dot is incredibly small. It would have been better to have a slower, larger graphic to indicate a general area of where you are aiming. Other than that, it is ok. Nothing special, but not what I would call bad. But not the tennis game I was hoping for either.

Yeah, I understand. What helped me is that I stopped paying attention on my player at all and just focus on the dot (which could be bigger, I agree). I start aiming right after the opponent hits the ball and by the time ball reaches me I usually have my aim set and ready. I like this system, because I always know where I’m going to hit the ball and it is super satisfying when your strategy works out.

clarky

Gold Member

Fair enough, i feel though weve had a decent share of indies and "AA" and "AAA" so far this year (with whats announced as well) Although im not denying this month is a bit shit, theres bound to be months where this is the case for some people. Between As Dusk Falls and Stray im sorted this month hopefully if they dont turn out to be duds.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I understand. What helped me is that I stopped paying attention on my player at all and just focus on the dot (which could be bigger, I agree). I start aiming right after the opponent hits the ball and by the time ball reaches me I usually have my aim set and ready. I like this system, because I always know where I’m going to hit the ball and it is super satisfying when your strategy works out.

Damn it......now I gotta play it some more and try doing what you are doing. Why the hell do you have to be so damned helpful?
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

kidding! Thanks for the tip.

Roberts

Damn it......now I gotta play it some more and try doing what you are doing. Why the hell do you have to be so damned helpful?
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

kidding! Thanks for the tip.

And if I doesn’t work out, it is OK. It is possible I have a shitty taste in games and Matchpoint has terrible controls, but after a match of trial and error I got the gist of it and can’t imagine a tennis game with a different control scheme.

Lognor

Banned
Banjo64 Banjo64 is no console warrior. And he isn't trying to turn this into some kind of PS "team" vs Xbox "team" thread. He is a straight shooter and calls it like he sees it and that applies when PS+ has a shit month as well. So your "team" narrative is misplaced.

Look.....if this were an awesome selection of games and some warrior came in trying to shit on it then that would be one thing. But this isn't an awesome selection and it isn't "warring" to say it isn't very good. Of course, there is nothing wrong with disagreeing with that either.
But we're talking about one month and they are still more games to come for July. Every other month in recent months have been good to great. You expect that every month? It would be nice, but I think rarely we will get months like this last drop. Netflix wishes it had great new content every month. They can't achieve that either. But with game pass it's been far more good to great months than bad months. Someone saying they're going to cancel after ONE bad month is silly. I guess there are people with subscribe to Netflix or hbo etc month to month and cancel when it's a slow month but that's too much of a pain in the ass for me. If we get multiple bad months maybe you are on to something. But one bad drop with another drop to come still? Nah ill survive.

clarky

Gold Member
But we're talking about one month and they are still more games to come for July. Every other month in recent months have been good to great. You expect that every month? It would be nice, but I think rarely we will get months like this last drop. Netflix wishes it had great new content every month. They can't achieve that either. But with game pass it's been far more good to great months than bad months. Someone saying they're going to cancel after ONE bad month is silly. I guess there are people with subscribe to Netflix or hbo etc month to month and cancel when it's a slow month but that's too much of a pain in the ass for me. If we get multiple bad months maybe you are on to something. But one bad drop with another drop to come still? Nah ill survive.
I cancelled Netflix, and just plan to sub for a month or two during the winter, the amount of shitty content these days is of the scale.

Gamepass is different, theres always something ive not played or would like to continue playing on there. Although ive only been a sub for a year so that might change.

Matchpoint is way better than I expected. Hard to get the hang of the aiming, particularly down the line shots, but I think that’s just because there’s less aim assist than previous tennis games.

Gamepass is amazing. My Sunday will be split between Matchpoint, Road 96 and the wife playing House Flipper. Even though my Steam Deck arrived yesterday, it’s not getting a look in because no sub service.

I also went for the top tier of whatever PS Plus is called these days and am really enjoying that. Can’t see me ever buying another game again tbh - between the two services I won’t need to. I can wait for the Sony exclusives to show up as I don’t find them too exciting usually. I just ordered an expansion drive for my PS5 which I thought I would never do.

Topher

Gold Member

Why don't you reply to the guy who said he was going cancel then? Not sure what your post has to do with mine other than me saying that it is ok to point out that it is a bad month.

Last edited:

marjo

I tried Escape Academy in local co-op on my Series X. It seems like it could be a fun game, but it has absolutely brutal input lag. It's basically unplayable in it's current state. I hope the devs issue a patch.

I tried Escape Academy in local co-op on my Series X. It seems like it could be a fun game, but it has absolutely brutal input lag. It's basically unplayable in it's current state. I hope the devs issue a patch.
I slowed down the cursor speed and that was it. It's mostly just moving a camera around. The puzzles are quite fun.

Kagey K

Banned
Gamepass is amazing. My Sunday will be split between Matchpoint, Road 96 and the wife playing House Flipper. Even though my Steam Deck arrived yesterday, it’s not getting a look in because no sub service.
You can get Gamepass on your steam deck and turn your games mobile.

Banjo64 Banjo64 there has definitely been Shantae games on games on game pass

edit:

Last edited:

Jaybe

I gave Road 96 a couple hours and 3 ‘runs’. Interesting concept. I liked the reporter character and the style. Voice acting was kind of weak though. I don’t this hits as high in the entertainment or game level as a Firewatch or What Remains in similar genres. I’m putting it down for now.

Enjoyed an hour or two of Power Wash as I never bothered with a Simulator game. Good to try out the genre ‘free’ while a podcast played. SkillUp calling it a colouring book (in a positive way) felt right in a sense. not interesting enough to continue with.

I hope As Dusk Falls is surprisingly stellar, hence the attention MS has given it. Also, wish BF2042 would hit EA Play already. Can’t be much longer, right? I was staring at COD games in the Ultimate Sale and though wait, BF should come out soon. Might also finally grab Risk of Rain 2 on sale as well.

The issue with Sony is, they only limit their native games to PlayStation, while PlayStation Premium on PC is only a streaming service.

Sony needs a PC client somehow. I hate playing games via cloud, when Native offers the best experience, expecially with Mods and Trainers etc...

Fredrik

Gamepass is amazing.
I also went for the top tier of whatever PS Plus is called these days and am really enjoying that.
Can’t see me ever buying another game again tbh - between the two services I won’t need to.
I haven’t bought a game on Xbox since 2020, because of Gamepass.

And I’ve been enjoying PS+ Premium a ton as well.

Problem with Sony’s service is that it’ll be hell to wait for the PS+ release of God of War Ragnarök and The Last of Us Part 1 this fall.
And how long do we have to wait? Who knows? Sony have no norms for this as far as I know, might have to wait several years.

I really want to do like you though, especially since games are usually patched anyway so the day 1 version is the worst way to play the games.

But I don’t think I’m strong enough. And for every game I buy because I don’t want to wait, the worse the service gets, less bang for the bucks.

I’m sure Sony love me though - they get subscription money AND game purchase money 💰

Last edited:
I gave Road 96 a couple hours and 3 ‘runs’. Interesting concept. I liked the reporter character and the style. Voice acting was kind of weak though. I don’t this hits as high in the entertainment or game level as a Firewatch or What Remains in similar genres. I’m putting it down for now.

Enjoyed an hour or two of Power Wash as I never bothered with a Simulator game. Good to try out the genre ‘free’ while a podcast played. SkillUp calling it a colouring book (in a positive way) felt right in a sense. not interesting enough to continue with.

I hope As Dusk Falls is surprisingly stellar, hence the attention MS has given it. Also, wish BF2042 would hit EA Play already. Can’t be much longer, right? I was staring at COD games in the Ultimate Sale and though wait, BF should come out soon. Might also finally grab Risk of Rain 2 on sale as well.
Yes expecting good things from Dusk Falls, looks very well made to me so fingers crossed 🤞

Kagey K

Banned
Whilst some are saying this is a crap month, my 4 year old son is having a blast playing the Paw Patrol game. He's literally jumping up and down on the sofa with controller in hand. Gamepass isn't just for me.

The other side of it being its hard to say it's a crap month, when we don't know what MS has lined up for the second half of it.

I do respect MS for adding family friendly games to the service though, no matter how hard ppl try to mock it.

reinking

Gold Member
As someone who had a PS PLUS account from the time it was offered until last year, Xbox Gamepass blows it away in both scope and quality of the library.
PS Now or PS Plus? PS Plus is a completely different service than Game Pass. PS Plus (the old version) was comparable to XBox Live Gold. PS Plus blew XBLG away and Game Pass blew PS Now away. In the current state I would give Game Pass the nod over the new version of PS Plus Premium. There just isn't enough of the older classics available on PS Plus Premium. The ability to download and play PC games and play native on PC is an even bigger advantage.

Moochi

PS Now or PS Plus? PS Plus is a completely different service than Game Pass. PS Plus (the old version) was comparable to XBox Live Gold. PS Plus blew XBLG away and Game Pass blew PS Now away. In the current state I would give Game Pass the nod over the new version of PS Plus Premium. There just isn't enough of the older classics available on PS Plus Premium. The ability to download and play PC games and play native on PC is an even bigger advantage.
Just Ps Plus. Never had the bandwidth to mess with streaming. I moved to the city with decent internet, now. Gamepass streaming is better than I expected, but I'd still never use it for the majority of games I play. I did play most of DQ XI on my phone though, and that was a pretty cool experience.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Everyone complaining about gp being weak the past few months, it is a monthly service, just shut it off if you don't see value.
Or are all you complainers $1 switchovers, in which case your value is off the charts so nothing to complain about.

I personally see gp in more of a yearly type picture, there is always tons more games included than the $130 a year I pay more than just a gold sub. (Can dollars)

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Everyone complaining about gp being weak the past few months, it is a monthly service, just shut it off if you don't see value.
Or are all you complainers $1 switchovers, in which case your value is off the charts so nothing to complain about.

I personally see gp in more of a yearly type picture, there is always tons more games included than the $130 a year I pay more than just a gold sub. (Can dollars)
I'm subbed up through 2023 but I'm still really enjoying the service and finding a ton of great games. I started working through my gp backlog since there wasn't anything newer jumping out at me. But then I picked up the assassins creed game and enjoying it, although not so much with the story. Gameplay is decent though.

I'm looking forward to the dusk falls game and just downloaded road 96 after hearing positive things. Just a great service! Always some great game I've never played (and wouldn't have played otherwise).

JackSparr0w

Banned
If you want games like God of War get used to paying 70 bucks. If not you can always just play games for whatever subscription service. Just don't be surprised when they have a single biome and repeating corridors.
But I don't. I would rather buy the superior PC version on sale years later. My backlog is huge and mostly playing games with friends instead of being a loner doesn't help.

RGB'D

I haven’t bought a game on Xbox since 2020, because of Gamepass.

And I’ve been enjoying PS+ Premium a ton as well.

Problem with Sony’s service is that it’ll be hell to wait for the PS+ release of God of War Ragnarök and The Last of Us Part 1 this fall.
And how long do we have to wait? Who knows? Sony have no norms for this as far as I know, might have to wait several years.

I really want to do like you though, especially since games are usually patched anyway so the day 1 version is the worst way to play the games.

But I don’t think I’m strong enough. And for every game I buy because I don’t want to wait, the worse the service gets, less bang for the bucks.

I’m sure Sony love me though - they get subscription money AND game purchase money 💰
I let my subscription lapse for PS in 2022 and havent missed jt. I will likely subscribe again if I want to play anything from PS+ collection but I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it. I gave away my PS4pro and only have 1 PS5 so didn't need the cloud saves but they hadn't been working reliably for some reason I hadn't been able to troubleshoot. PS5 is my exclusive box and 70$ a game is enough of my money, especially since I already bought Horizon and GOWR is around the corner.

Fredrik

I let my subscription lapse for PS in 2022 and havent missed jt. I will likely subscribe again if I want to play anything from PS+ collection but I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it. I gave away my PS4pro and only have 1 PS5 so didn't need the cloud saves but they hadn't been working reliably for some reason I hadn't been able to troubleshoot. PS5 is my exclusive box and 70$ a game is enough of my money, especially since I already bought Horizon and GOWR is around the corner.
I prepaid PS Now to get PS+ Premium for $60/year so I’m at the point I should wait for P+ releases to make the prepayment make more sense.
But waiting a year or more for Ragnarök? Hmmmmmm…. I think it’ll be difficult.

RGB'D

I prepaid PS Now to get PS+ Premium for $60/year so I’m at the point I should wait for P+ releases to make the prepayment make more sense.
But waiting a year or more for Ragnarök? Hmmmmmm…. I think it’ll be difficult.
Definitely. There is a lot coming out around that time but I don't think I wouldn't be able to wait, esp3cially if it reviews well

Fredrik

Definitely. There is a lot coming out around that time but I don't think I wouldn't be able to wait, esp3cially if it reviews well
Yeah it’ll be tricky for sure, I’ll try if it seems like it’ll need patches but otherwise I doubt I can manage. Depends what MS are doing at that time I guess. No preordering at least!

Top Bottom