• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Year Thirst: Over the Counter PS5 Sales draw lines in Japan after Sony's online-only COVID restriction was removed!

Do you want OTC Sales restrictions for your region lifted?

• Total voters
Japan gets its first 2021 wish.

Via Game Watch: https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1298179.html

Yodobashi Camera launched the PlayStation 5 store on January 1st.

This over-the-counter sale was a guerrilla sale completely without prior notice. For game fans who rushed to the store early in the morning aiming for lucky bags and sales, it looks like an unexpected "fortune" has arrived. The target stores are unknown, but sales have been reported at major stores such as Shinjuku West Exit Main Store, Akihabara, Chiba, and Hakata.

The number of arrivals is several hundred, and the total number of all stores is expected to reach four digits. I was suffering from a shortage of goods in 2020, but I feel that shipments are increasing little by little. I hope that PS5 will reach all game fans this year.

OTC sales were not possible in Japan due to COVID guidelines from Sony. Sales had to be made online-only. That restriction seems to have been removed for the New Year in Japan. Hopefully this is extended to NA/Europe soon which should help with the scalpers issue.

Eqn-Ia-Aa-UYAAZb4-L.jpg

Eqn-Ia-JIUc-AArak2.jpg

Eqn-Ia-Se-UYAE2z-Yr.jpg

I imagine how sales were affected by online only orders.
I know a lot of gamers doesn’t buy online.
Seems supply is more of a problem but 5-6 months from now that restriction will start to take its toll. Maybe I'm wrong and the thirst is that strong still 6 months from now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom