• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Battlefield Game Could have single-player campaign

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new job listing out of EA for a design director to work on the game specifically mentions a single-player campaign. This could be a mistake, but job listings like this are usually combed through to ensure there are no mistakes or big leaks. That said, the excerpt below should still be taken with a grain of salt just in case.

"Reporting to the studio GM, you will manage the design team and design vision of a new Battlefield campaign," reads the job listing. "Your job is to orchestrate the mission design, narrative, game mechanics, and systems to create the highest quality experience possible. You foster relationships with creative, engineering, and production to create an inclusive design team."

The job listing continues, mentioning "single-player" specifically: "Your job is to embrace the core tenets of the Battlefield franchise and make sure they are woven through all layers of a masterfully designed single-player campaign. You will build the studio's design team and culture and build an amazing campaign from concept through release. You are also responsible for leading iterations of the product design based on feedback from peers, company partners, and team members while holding to the core vision."

There are some other interesting parts of the job listing, including a suggestion the campaign won't be an afterthought like previous Battlefield campaigns. In particular, the "define and lead the design efforts necessary for creating a best-in-class single-player campaign experience" part of the job listing points towards a certain level of ambition.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
LOL

It better and it better have 20 maps at launch with no MTX and free DLC to make me even contemplate…….buying it on a very deep sale.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Just create battlefield 2 again. It was peak squad based battlefield. Commander, squad leader, team work, kits, vehicles spawn on the map. DO IT
Learning the wrong lessons again EA...

Just make sure my soldier doesn't do cringe one liners at the end of the map, that should be step 1.
LOL

It better and it better have 20 maps at launch with no MTX and free DLC to make me even contemplate…….buying it on a very deep sale.
Battlefield having a campaign is not the news that should be leaking.
The next Battlefield having Classes again is all fans of the franchise want to know.
I would add Commanders to that list as well.
Yea...exactly!

giphy.webp

I only play BF games for their campaigns.

Kokoloko85

Just give it up EA.
Its never going to be Call of Duty.

Make a decent MP game first because thats what people want it seems

Shmunter

Just give it up EA.
Its never going to be Call of Duty.

Make a decent MP game first because thats what people want it seems
Well they’ve got zampella on it now. They most certainly are trying to find the secret sauce. I just hope they make the gunplay more like cod. I realise that may be a divisive request.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
they should take a break from Battlefield. stop pumping out a new one every couple years. take 5 years or something and make a fucking awesome game.

Naked Lunch

They tried commanders with 4. Was a success in 2 but nobody gives a shit about being the commander now.
Doesnt mean they cant try it again.
Commander mode in BF4 didnt even let you play the actual game. In BF2 you actually were a soldier on the ground.
I remember people would call instant mutiny if the commander was in a tank or something tho, heh.

I feel like their needs to be some kind of guide to the chaos of a large scale objective match - even if just a small fraction of players listen to commander's orders its better than nothing.

If you remember - the commander was able to voice chat with with squadleaders - who were then able to tell the squads what they were saying. It was a cool dynamic they just abandoned moving forward. I used to play on servers with old farts playing commanders - you could tell these guys were ex-military and were acting like BF2 was a real war or something. Funny shit - but it made for some awesome matches where almost all the players were trying to win.

Last edited:

wvnative

It was pretty clear that 2042 only cut it because the game was cobbled together in a rush and there was no time for it.

I like a campaign, but the BF campaigns aren't good except BF1. Please only do it if you can make a really solid campaign.

2042 not having a campaign wasn’t the issue. EA and DICE are absolutely brain dead when it comes to knowing what Battlefield fans are actually after.

Speaking personally, the last BF campaign I played to completion was BF4 and it was bad. BF1 and 5 campaigns were also pretty horrible. No need to bring that garbage back.

Fahdis

Doesnt mean they cant try it again.
Commander mode in BF4 didnt even let you play the actual game. In BF2 you actually were a soldier on the ground.
I remember people would call instant mutiny if the commander was in a tank or something tho, heh.

I feel like their needs to be some kind of guide to the chaos of a large scale objective match - even if just a small fraction of players listen to commander's orders its better than nothing.

If you remember - the commander was able to voice chat with with squadleaders - who were then able to tell the squads what they were saying. It was a cool dynamic they just abandoned moving forward. I used to play on servers with old farts playing commanders - you could tell these guys were ex-military and were acting like BF2 was a real war or something. Funny shit - but it made for some awesome matches where almost all the players were trying to win.

Sounds like you're talking about MAG.

Laptop1991

But will it have a good single player campaign, thats the point, i stopped playing these war shooters a long time ago because the SP was either missing or that bad it might as well be missing and MP only.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m pulling for a new battlefield campaign cod is passionate about its campaigns.

winjer

Gold Member
Except for BF: Bad company, the campaigns in Battlefield games were mostly mediocre.
Forget about SP, just fix the multiplayer and stop screwing around with battle royale modes.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Except for BF: Bad company, the campaigns in Battlefield games were mostly mediocre.
Forget about SP, just fix the multiplayer and stop screwing around with battle royale modes.
Don't you get it? The next BF could be the best MP of all time, but if it lacks a campaign, people who had no intentions of playing it in the first place would use that as their reason to shit on the game.

I quite liked the campaign in BF4. E.A need to focus on what made it's past games so great and quit trying to push this putrid woke virtue signalling nonsense on to there fanbase.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
They really had something special with bad company, i wish they would have continued down that line. They should have the campaign for bf7 just be bad company 3 essentially

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do shooter fans (in particular BF and COD gamers) really care about SP?

Pretty sure they care more about MP. A good SP campaign is a bonus.

Top Bottom